• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2017 - Time to get GAMEDUMPED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hektor

Nirolak made a good summary of P* situation

I imagine this will be an issue for Platinum.

1.) They have over 200 staff, presumably at least half of which were making Scalebound.
2.) Nier Automata is about to go gold, and Yoko Taro makes it sound like it's not going into sequel mode right away.
3.) Activision killed off their licensed game division, so that's not an option anymore.
4.) They have the Gran Blue Fantasy project and Lost Order, but I'm assuming that was going to take on Nier's staff given Kamiya wasn't attached to it.

Now they need to get a project from someone on a short turnaround for a ton of staff in an era where that kind of thing is pretty hard to do, and they were struggling to get contracts even when that was less true.

It's dire for them

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Wait did Acti's licensed game division with P* include the Devastation team? Cuz I need a Devastation successor so badly @o@

He means Acti is no longer pursuing licensed games, not that the development teams associated with Acti's licensed games have been laid off. Acti doesn't own even a sliver of Platinum.

Hektor

Wait did Acti's licensed game division with P* include the Devastation team? Cuz I need a Devastation successor so badly @o@

As i understand, Nirolak means Activion decided to not do licensed videogames anymore and killed off that branch of their company (of activision), so no transformers devastation 2.

Vibranium

Banned
Hopefully we get a cool Kamiya game out this, maybe something with a smaller budget and scope. Or he could work on Resident Evil 2 Remake lol.

Platinum does have an uncertain future ahead.

Hektor

Hopefully Nier Automata sells a ton of copies......

Best thing that could happen is it selling well enough that SE decides to give P* more work in the form of other IP's, like Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy spinoffs, which in return would at least partially keep P* alive for the time being

Phawx

Wow, my No Man's Sky CE finally shipped.

Edit: I should explain. By the time I saw NMS, I wanted to cancel. But the cancellation period was in May or June. So I missed it by a few months. :/

dex3108

Well i can only say good luck Microsoft/Xbox you will need it this year. Nobody will care about Scorpio if games are not there.

Teggy

Scalebound E3 looked really boring, but I can't imagine putting that much work into something only to have it tossed in the trash.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
While I also belong to the Bio1 > Bio2 camp, the moment towards the end of 2 where (actual end-game spoiler)
you possess a Little Sister and discover that their minds have been perverted to perpetually view Rapture in its original state
is still my favourite of the series.
That was my favorite bit as well.

Jawmuncher

Well i can only say good luck Microsoft/Xbox you will need it this year. Nobody will care about Scorpio if games are not there.

I'm assuming if Crackdown isn't up shit creek as well, that this year MS must be ready to throw everything behind it. Seems they'll really only have that and Forza as system sellers. Scorpio probably gonna do no better than the PS4pro. A lot of old games will get patches, that no one plays anymore. Then some promises of upcoming titles. Making the purchase day one more or less worthless.

Phawx

That was my favorite bit as well.

For a brief moment I honestly thought JaseC quoted himself.

I'm assuming if Crackdown isn't up shit creek as well, that this year MS must be ready to throw everything behind it. Seems they'll really only have that and Forza as system sellers. Scorpio probably gonna do no better than the PS4pro. A lot of old games will get patches, that no one plays anymore. Then some promises of upcoming titles. Making the purchase day one more or less worthless.

Crackdown can't get cancelled. Been waiting for that for awhile.

Also, I'll buy Scorpio day1 if 360 emulation increases internal resolution on it.

Tizoc

As i understand, Nirolak means Activion decided to not do licensed videogames anymore and killed off that branch of their company (of activision), so no transformers devastation 2.
At least until hasbro gets ahold of the license from acti qnd greenlights a new tf game by platinum :x

xezuru

Scalebound E3 looked really boring, but I can't imagine putting that much work into something only to have it tossed in the trash.

I had the same opinion, normally I'd diehard platinum's non-budget endeavors, especially Kamiya's shit, but openworld tedium is at an all time high for me, and what small couple of footages i've seen didn't relieve me. I'm hoping Automata catches that polished platinum feel so bad because it's been a while since I've felt Platinum at it's prime.

Crackdown better not get canceled. It's literally the only reason I keep my Xbone at this point. I just hope it won't be as bad as 2 was.

Teggy

While I also belong to the Bio1 > Bio2 camp, the moment towards the end of 2 where (actual end-game spoiler)
you possess a Little Sister and discover that their minds have been perverted to perpetually view Rapture in its original state
is still my favourite of the series.

Yup, this is one of my favorite sequences in any game.

I liked Bioshock 2 - I actually enjoyed the ambush portions, although I guess in time they did get a little tiresome.

Is it cynical to think that Valve has not offered a more robust card trading tool because they don't make any money if you trade a card?

rtcn63

Compared to OG Bioshock, it's a really poor game.

It's definitely got that feeling of "Bioshock 1 DLC turned full retail product". The combat is fast, fluid, weapons are interesting and there's a sense of weight to your attacks and movement (of course, considering who you're playing as), but the difficulty wasn't scaled well enough. Bio 1 gave you some time before items and money became mostly irrelevant. Bio 2 makes you a shambling god right out the bat. Although, this does give you free reign to mess around with your weapons to little penalty. Hey, let's just phosphorous buck the hell out of everything while protecting lil sis.

As for the story... I like it for what it is. Like many others, I don't think a return to Rapture was necessary since the first game tied things up... but I've seen worse.

Jalal

When was Unreal and Unreal 2 the last time on sale and how expensive was it?

I bought a pack of like five or six Unreal games during the Winter Sale for five bucks or something

This.

The unreal deal pack was $4.79 (88% off) http://store.steampowered.com/sub/683/

Great deal. Each individual game was like 4 bucks each on sale so it would have been pointless to buy anything other than the deal pack. http://steamsales.rhekua.com/search.php?term=unreal

The pack with UT3 and 4 other games cost the same as UT3 itself. Steam gonna steam.

dex3108

This could be tuning point for a worse for MS. They have no studios, no heavy hitter games and they are releasing more expensive console than competition at the end of a year. They have broken PC store and refuse to publish games on other stores and getting exclusivity from 3rd party publishers is really hard these days.

Nzyme32

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom