• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2017 - Time to get GAMEDUMPED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knurek

sbound8wsag.png

Nier Automata won't get cancelled now, will it?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Hexcells Plus is doing very little for me, if anything. Im on the last world now and just have not been enjoying it at all compared to the first one. I hate the diagonal stuff, its just a pain to look at for me (I joked why not p numbers upside down while youre at it), and the puzzles just seems overly more busy, like lets throw a ton of shit at the screen, that'll make it harder. I much prefered the simplicity of the first one, it was much more elegant.

Grief.exe

What?

https://twitter.com/MysticDistance/status/818545880089427968
@MysticDistance
Scalebound was cancelled. I also heard that Kamiya is taking time off due to mental health issues. It's really sad.

Edit:
Looks like development was stressful and they took a break

Work on the game took a serious knock last autumn, Eurogamer sources say, when several senior members of the development team were forced to take a month away from the pressure of the project's heavy workload.

PaulSane

Hexcells Plus is doing very little for me, if anything. Im on the last world now and just have not been enjoying it at all compared to the first one. I hate the diagonal stuff, its just a pain to look at for me (I joked why not p numbers upside down while youre at it), and the puzzles just seems overly more busy, like lets throw a ton of shit at the screen, that'll make it harder. I much prefered the simplicity of the first one, it was much more elegant.

I've completed all three Hexcells games several months ago, and yes, there was a difficulty spike in Plus, Infinite was also a bit harder than Plus if i remember correctly - but i actually liked Plus and Infinite a lot more, found first Hexcells too easy for my tastes, which also resulted in it being very short (65 minutes played according to Steam, while i've played 7 hours of Plus to complete it)

This could be tuning point for a worse for MS. They have no studios, no heavy hitter games and they are releasing more expensive console than competition at the end of a year. They have broken PC store and refuse to publish games on other stores and getting exclusivity from 3rd party publishers is really hard these days.

They are just going to money hat a bunch of battlefield/call of duty/rdr2 DLCs for the Scorpio. And it might work!

Vamphuntr

Hey Platinum now would be a good time to release Vanquish and Bayonetta to get some cash.

Do they own the rights to any of these? Otherwise it will be Sega/Nintendo that will make money out of it.

I'm disappointed I'll never get to play the game but I feel a bit similar to what happened to Kojima. Sad for him but I doubt the publisher was to blame for everything.

I'll trade a Transformers, Legends of Korra and a TMNT game for 1 Scalebound pls. Scalebound was at least interesting and seemed like it would have been sort of unique, shame it got cancelled.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Do they own the rights to any of these? Otherwise it will be Sega/Nintendo that will make money out of it.

Nope. Platinum may receive royalties from copies sold, though.

Edit: Nintendo doesn't own the Bayonetta IP, just the second game in particular as it funded development. It wouldn't see a cent from a belated PC port of the original.

bbd23

scalebound looked rough but I still wanted to play it on PC...rip

Microsoft isn't looking too hot exclusive wise.

You might enjoy SquareCells more.
If I recall correctly, it is more in line with the original HexCells in terms of simplicity of mechanisms, but it also gets very hard.

RPS did a really good review of The Long Dark
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/01/09/the-long-dark-sandbox-review/
Neo Scavenger aside, this is the best survival game I’ve ever played...
Usually, when it comes to this kind of sandbox survival game, I either get annoyed when I die early, before I can gain a foothold in the world, or I get bored when I’ve established that foothold and everything is under control. The Long Dark manages to make both the initial trial and the subsequent moments of safety compelling, and it does that by forcing you to prioritise.
Neo Scavenger is fantastic and does realistic brutal survival like nothing else, so that's some high praise

Lomax

Regular Hexcells was basically a tutorial. Those last few levels in both plus and infinite are some of my most satisfying moments in all of gaming. I wish he'd make another because the random puzzles just don't have the elegance and picross style stuff like Paint it Back, while fun, just isn't as good to me. In fact I've still avoided Squarecells because I'm afraid I'll be disappointed by it.

vitormg

Neo Member
Finished Firewatch today and enjoyed it thoroughly. Just an amazing experience indeed.

Since its announcement I was kind of excited to play it and oh boy it delivered. It was a both relaxing and exciting little adventure all together.

The story is neat and the dialogues are really awesome. The interaction between you and Delilah are incredibly well made.

About her...
I tried myself to create a little romance between us and got really disappointed that I couldn't meet the woman whose voice accompanied me throughout the experience. Unfortunate. Still loved it.
Anyone that played, what do you think...
about the ending, I found it to be a little bit open-ended. Do you guys remember that dialogue which Delilah is having with someone at the beginning of the game that you overhear (if you choose to do so)? I couldn't relate it to any part of the rest of the game. At the beginning I thought I was being played by her for whatever reason. Turned out that this was never shown... Maybe it was supposed to? The story between the boy and his father was well executed though. I felt their anguish as I kept discovering things. The end was pretty sad.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Regular Hexcells was basically a tutorial. Those last few levels in both plus and infinite are some of my most satisfying moments in all of gaming. I wish he'd make another because the random puzzles just don't have the elegance and picross style stuff like Paint it Back, while fun, just isn't as good to me. In fact I've still avoided Squarecells because I'm afraid I'll be disappointed by it.

Paint it Black shits on this game from a mountain top in my opinion. Not to mention the Picross games. I didnt enjoy myself at all these last 3 or so hours, I just wanted it to be over, and every time I made a mistake, I felt like deleting the game, something that never happened with the picross games. It also gave me a huge headache from having to look at all the diagonal shit. Not to mention the times I had to interrupt my game for whaever reason halfway through a puzzle, no save state is baffling for puzzles this hard (at least Infinite has it apparently).

Oh well, to each its own. Im not touching Infinite for a long time tho if its more of that, I need to try me some Squarecells I guess.

Lomax

Paint it Black shits on this game from a mountain top in my opinion. Not to mention the Picross games. I didnt enjoy myself at all these last 3 or so hours, I just wanted it to be over, and every time I made a mistake, I felt like deleting the game, something that never happened with the picross games. It also gave me a huge headache from having to look at all the diagonal shit. Not to mention the times I had to interrupt my game for whaever reason halfway through a puzzle, no save state is baffling for puzzles this hard (at least Infinite has it apparently).

Oh well, to each its own. Im not touching Infinite for a long time tho if its more of that, I need to try me some Squarecells I guess.

I honestly don't remember dealing with the no save states but yeah, I can see that being annoying. I probably just left it running. But there's no guessing, no chance, no point where you can't figure it out, and I loved that. Paint it Back I've enjoyed, but it just gets tedious to me, the logic isn't nearly as satisfying. Plus it's way more forgiving, which it basically has to be on mobile because the ui is a pita to get precise control over. I still play it here and there but it doesn't hold me even close to how Hexcells did.

But yeah, if you don't like Plus, Infinite is just more of the same with an additional random generator that doesn't work nearly as well as the hand crafted puzzles.

Rhaknar

been doing some spring cleaning and threw out a old CRT monitor, fuck me those things were hevy, jesus christ

xezuru

been doing some spring cleaning and threw out a old CRT monitor, fuck me those things were hevy, jesus christ

As a smash player:
Nooooooooooooooooooo.
As a normal mortal and physically able human being:
good fucking riddance.

yuraya

Shame about Scalebound. That would have been a good title to play on PC. Kamiya has a pretty good track record so MS probably screwed it up. 4 years of development gone just like that :(

Unknown Realm really nailed the "early Ultima" look. Hopefully it doesn't have the same "RNG-based hard as balls" thing that genre had going for it.

I would be up for a Ultima VII remake. Change the combat though.

I still remember one of my first play sessions. I am recruiting everybody I can (5 at that point) and then we start hoofing it to Minoc. We ran out of food like right after Cove but I pressed on.

It was chaos. They are all bitching about starving. People were passing out. I found enough ingredients for a make food spell and it gave me a stick of butter. Some motherfucker ate a stick of butter like it was nothing.

I think I left Janna behind. I tried to drag her or put her in the backpack. IIRC I gave up on that save.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom