• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

milena87

I get the point you're making. I do wish something would change in the way this business works so that just above average games can somehow survive.

I will say this though... I'm acutely aware that it is impossible to perform qualitative assessment on something as broad as 'production values', but honestly, if Telltale can get away with churning out their $25 games that go on to sell millions of copies, then this game really should be acceptable to the market at the $40 price point.

Telltale newer games are still pretty unique, especially on consoles. The focus on story and characters at the expense of almost everything else is something that only them and, to a lesser extent, Quantic Dream do.
Maybe that's why they succeed. People looking for a game like that don't really have many other options.
I love Telltale game

Anyway, I agree. It's certainly difficult to quantify the "value" of one game, but that's why these things should be discussed both during pre-production, when both the scope of the game and the initial budget get decided, and at the end of production, when one can actually observe the state of the game.

Alpha Protocol was another game that was released to fail. Sega not only stopped Obsidian and didn't let them polish the game, but they released it at the usual 60$ price.
I personally loved the game and I gladly paid full price, but I can't help but think that a price point of 30$ would have helped immensely with sales.

That french sale translates DLC into french as "DLC". That can't possibly be right. A literal translation would give you CTC, but I'm sure there's a better idiom. There's no way it's DLC. France-GAF help me out here?

We do say DLC in France, unfortunately. France is no Quebec, we don't really try to protect the French language (which is something I know fully embrace since I've moved to Montreal).

iosefe

dino horde isn't too bad if you're playing co-op, but solo it's underwhelming.

i saw a couple SpeedRunners owner like 10 pages back.
add me.

NuMiQ

Neo Member
No I don't.
Ah well, don't say I didn't warn you!

Eh... Orion was more ambitious in what it tried to achieve, so I'm going to go with D Day.

I'm actually quite enjoying Orion when playing with some mates. Especially since it supports more than 4 players and we usually have trouble finding games to play with a larger group.

w00p, first GAF post! Feel free to add me to the GAF Steam group btw :)

Zafir

Is the single player campaign decent in the magic games? I'm kind of in the mood for a card game so i was looking at getting magic 2015, but as usual I don't really care for competitive mp so it's not worth it if only the mp is good.

I just started L.A. Noire and this game is really well done although some of the movement seems a bit more on rails than I'd like.

I was looking for a game that was a change of pace in my backlog and reluctantly gave this a shot. I was worried it was going to be a GTA clone but I was wrong. I couldn't help but want to keep playing after the first 10 minutes. Before I knew it, I dropped three hours in the game and still wanted to keep playing.

The facial animations are downright incredible and lifelike. It's different than any other game I've played before and am enjoying it a lot more than GTA4. I'm surprised there aren't that many great detective style games out there.

I highly recommend this if you guys are looking for something to play.

it gets old after 3-4 hours. It gets REAL old when it takes 13-15 hours to finish.

enjoy it now, because you're playing the best part of the game.

liezryou

I'm actually quite enjoying Orion when playing with some mates. Especially since it supports more than 4 players and we usually have trouble finding games to play with a larger group.

w00p, first GAF post! Feel free to add me to the GAF Steam group btw :)

Welcome to GAF, and better yet steamGAF!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Is the single player campaign decent in the magic games? I'm kind of in the mood for a card game so i was looking at getting magic 2015, but as usual I don't really care for competitive mp so it's not worth it if only the mp is good.

I think the single player campaign in the Magic games is pretty awesome. I own and have played them all since 2012, and I've never played an online multiplayer match (just single player).

The game progresses by unlocking new cards as you defeat new opponents. The single player campaign, at least in the previous Magic games, is pretty fair and somewhat balanced in that it gets progressively more difficult but you also have access to better cards later in the campaign.

Some leftovers.
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (LostAtLife, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

ulgzbKC.png
Agapan (Desura) -- MB-350D69B9AB21F978 - Taken by Henry Swanson
ulgzbKC.png
Firbrillation (Desura) -- MB-058F4A5B70472ADB
Killing Floor (Trial) -- MB-5B40A66C12533D2D
Palm Kingdoms (IndieGameStand) -- MB-938D27A58140E80D
ulgzbKC.png
Station Eris (Desura) -- MB-68D0302AEB4649D6 - Taken by Catshade
The Ship Complete -- MB-2D6FD4532B2AC542 - Taken by Vastag
ulgzbKC.png
Stoorm (Desura) -- MB-1C08E95DBB43F701 - Taken by Henry Swanson

Hugstable

Banned
Good I prefer sad endings.

Valiant Hearts will definitely not let you down then. That last part of Chapter 3 and Chapter 4 are just one huge emotional rollercoaster. How they did that ending though was perfect. I had tears rolling down during the whole thing T_T

iosefe

if i win one more Candy Cash, i promise to buy Speedrunners for one lucky gaf member on my friends list.

the dream is over...

Autofokus

Maybe that will be the break even for me, MGSV: PP is also out by then as well so I may want to jump on that release.

Though I would be astounded if we never see MGSV on PC at one point.

MGSV is my most anticipated game of 2015 (followed by The Witcher 3 and Bloodborne), I'm way too weak to wait that one out.
But my weakness does work the other way around too: a PC version would get the double-dip treatment without any hesitation.

Pachimari

Guys, I have a stuck notification that says I have an unread chat message from a trader who have removed me, how can I get rid of this notification?

TsuXna

Ah, I see, I still wouldn't feel comfortable using semi-modified assets (or even new ones that are very similar to their inspiration)

Ah, I actually never played it, IAP kind of put me off, might give it a try though.

Not good enough to get me to root for the US over Belgium!

Always surprises me the amount of Portuguese people I see around here.
Not necessarily to be Iap, you will progress slower but it's fine.

Grief.exe

GTAV and Witcher 3 better have Steam Achievements and cards!

MGSV is my most anticipated game of 2015 (followed by The Witcher 3 and Bloodborne), I'm way too weak to wait that one out.
But my weakness does work the other way around too: a PC version would get the double-dip treatment without any hesitation.

Can't blame you for that. I would hope that MGSV: PP comes out on PC day one, but since they skipped an E3 announcement I am starting to think we may have to settle for a delay.

Guys, I have a stuck notification that says I have an unread chat message from a trader who have removed me, how can I get rid of this notification?

Reformat!

Create a new account? :p

Yeah, now that reminds me of that guy who created a new account just to avoid the shame of having one particular game attached to his account. That was a great time.

Zafir

I think the single player campaign in the Magic games is pretty awesome. I own and have played them all since 2012, and I've never played an online multiplayer match (just single player).

The game progresses by unlocking new cards as you defeat new opponents. The single player campaign, at least in the previous Magic games, is pretty fair and somewhat balanced in that it gets progressively more difficult but you also have access to better cards later in the campaign.
Ah nice, that sounds good. Too used to games skimping on the single player so it's nice to see they still consider those of us who don't care for it. Thanks for the info.

Hugstable

Banned
GTAV and Witcher 3 better have Steam Achievements and cards!

Can't blame you for that. I would hope that MGSV: PP comes out on PC day one, but since they skipped an E3 announcement I am starting to think we may have to settle for a delay.

Reformat!

I think we all have hope that MGSV will come out on PC since Rising was actually released, and hopefully sold decent. Wasn't there ports of MGS 1 and 2 on the PC amyway along time ago? I never played them but I remember hearing at least about a PC port of 2

Grief.exe

Has there been a single R* game with cards?
Witcher is probably a safe bet, tho.

The last Rockstar game released was Max Payne 3 and I believe that was well before trading cards were introduced.

Max Payne 3 had achievements, Witcher 2 had achievements and cards, so I don't see why they wouldn't :p

This was my belief as well, just strange how nothing is listed on the Steam page.

I think we all have hope that MGSV will come out on PC since Rising was actually released, and hopefully sold decent. Wasn't there ports of MGS 1 and 2 on the PC amyway along time ago? I never played them but I remember hearing at least about a PC port of 2

The original ports of MGS1 and 2 were terrible apparently. Rising seems to have done quite well.

Turfster

Were cards around when Max Payne 3 came out? Even if so, that was early on so I see no reason to expect there not to be. Had steam achievements at the least.

Eh, it's not a question of "were cards around yet", it's more a question of "do they care enough?"
I have old games (that weren't added to Steam recently) that went back and added cards after the beta started last year. It's not like it would take a long time to slap something together.

They were by Microsoft and Konami.
The first one wasn't too bad, but had a rather limited system to emulate.
The second really suffered from trying to map meaningful analog stick (creeping instead of walking etc) to the keyboard, and was pretty much hardcoded for specific videocards of the time.

MUnited83

For you.
This was my belief as well, just strange how nothing is listed on the Steam page.

I find that the steam features list on games that are far away of the release to be imcomplete most of the time, with them only putting the correct list on the week of release.

Grief.exe

I find that the steam features list on games that are far away of the release to be imcomplete most of the time, with them only putting the correct list on the week of release.

Makes perfect sense, what happens if they are running out of time and they have to cut something like trading cards or Steam cloud? Don't want to anger customers for false advertising even if these are just small features.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom