• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ban Puncher

Better off just buying a 2nd 780 TBH. I have a single Ti and plan to SLI it in the future, but if I had gone for a 780 instead I probably would have been just as satisfied and done the same thing with those. Are you overclocking at all?

Nah, I don't overclock. But I can swap cards for zero cost. It's more about whether I could be bothered or not.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I get the point you're making. I do wish something would change in the way this business works so that just above average games can somehow survive.

I will say this though... I'm acutely aware that it is impossible to perform qualitative assessment on something as broad as 'production values', but honestly, if Telltale can get away with churning out their $25 games that go on to sell millions of copies, then this game really should be acceptable to the market at the $40 price point.

Murdered: Soul Suspect is a great game, but I think it's praise falls short only because of the price point when compared with it's length. It's only about 6 hours long. For $50, I would expect the game to be at least twice the length that it is, if not a little more. That said, I think an appropriate price would be either $24.99 or maybe even $29.99.

It's sad that it's not even in the top 100 sellers, despite being at "AAA" Square-Enix published title that hasn't even been released for a month. I think the release timing (right before the Summer Sale) didn't do the game any favors.

Shame, I main Firefox due to certain addons. It uses +2gb of my 4gb ram though.
Wonder if jump to chrome is worth it.

Approximately 85% of Enhanced Steam users use Chrome. It have a more robust feature set (for now). A lot of people have told me they switched to browsing with Chrome just to use Enhanced Steam.

Nabs

Looks like Steam keys were promised for the game Rockin Android once it was Greenlit. The developers did not deliver the keys and now are keeping people quiet about it.

Sure, they might make some more money in the short term, but positive word of mouth will generate so much more revenue over the life of your product.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/29nh19/publishers_lied_to_people_about_steam_keys_now_on/

I'm looking at a PS4 probably near the end of 2015, need some compelling titles to justify a purchase.

Groupees got their keys the second the store page went up.

Anteater

Murdered: Soul Suspect is a great game, but I think it's praise falls short only because of the price point when compared with it's length. It's only about 6 hours long. For $50, I would expect the game to be at least twice the length that it is, if not a little more. That said, I think an appropriate price would be either $24.99 or maybe even $29.99.

It's sad that it's not even in the top 100 sellers, despite being at "AAA" Square-Enix published title that hasn't even been released for a month. I think the release timing (right before the Summer Sale) didn't do the game any favors.

I kind of want to try it after playing some Blackwell games, I love those super natural detective stuff

Even if you're a super-fast typer you still have to prioritize the correct enemies (words) first.

You're right that's pretty much House of the Dead: overkill except with shooting replaced typing, they only really switch it up with a different mechanic for the final boss.

Agreed. I consider myself a pretty good typer and still get burned by prioritizing wrong. Really fun little game though

Nah, I don't overclock. But I can swap cards for zero cost. It's more about whether I could be bothered or not.

At no cost to upgrade? Um...why would you not. Hell yeah.

yGray

Banned
Shovel Knight should get a small discount. Even if it's only by $2-3. More people should play this. It's so tight. I'm halfway through the game, then there is a new game +

Vastag

All that talk about Sunless Sea yesterday got me thinking, I would love a Terror from the Depth expansion for X-Com with enphasis in Lovercraftian mythos and some kind of sanity management.

Grief.exe

Shovel Knight should get a small discount. Even if it's only by $2-3. More people should play this. It's so tight. I'm halfway through the game, then there is a new game +

Kickstarter projects are always in a strange grey area where they cannot discount too early for fear of annoying backers.

For example, Wasteland 2 is currently retailing for $50 as early access to the beta was a higher tier during funding.

StAidan

capsule_184x69.jpg

I had never played Defender (or any of its variants) until jumping into Aqua Kitty - Milk Mine Defender a few days ago. So far I'm having a lot of fun with it. I like the detailed 16-bit pixel art aesthetic, the soundtrack is fun, and it's got the "one more try" addictive arcade action in spades.

The gameplay basically involves darting back and forth across a short-ish 2D landscape, dodging bullets, shooting enemies, and protecting milk-mining kitties from abduction by certain aquatic invaders. The enemy types get pretty varied and there are the usual shmup-type powerups. There are both Easy and Normal difficulty levels, I think the only difference is the number of hits you can take when each stage begins, though. For hardcore challenge, you can enable "Arcade" mode, which allows you to collect gems to upgrade your ship (reminiscent of the Gradius upgrade system), but a single death is an instant game over.

If I have any criticisms of the game, one major annoyance for me is that unlocking the Normal-mode achievements don't also unlock the corresponding Easy ones. It's a good thing there's a certain amount of replay value, I guess. I could easily see myself going through all three game modes before getting tired of Aqua Kitty. If you like arcade-style shooting games, give it a try -- it's good fun.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I kind of want to try it after playing some Blackwell games, I love those super natural detective stuff

I wholeheartedly recommend picking it up when it's 50% off or more.

Approximately 85% of Enhanced Steam users use Chrome. It have a more robust feature set (for now). A lot of people have told me they switched to browsing with Chrome just to use Enhanced Steam.
Hmm, chrome's that popular, huh? Gonna give it a try.
Thanks for your work on ES!

Turfster

PC Gamer is giving away Dino D Day keys.
Don't do it, it's a trap. (unless you just want the +1)
People still hate me for making them play it during the Christmas chievo metagame.
It's that horrible.

liezryou

Instead you could rent 2/3 movies and you would get more entertainment value for less then 1/5th of the games price.

capsule_184x69.jpg

I had never played Defender (or any of its variants) until jumping into Aqua Kitty - Milk Mine Defender a few days ago. So far I'm having a lot of fun with it. I like the detailed 16-bit pixel art aesthetic, the soundtrack is fun, and it's got the "one more try" addictive arcade action in spades.

The gameplay basically involves darting back and forth across a short-ish 2D landscape, dodging bullets, shooting enemies, and protecting milk-mining kitties from abduction by certain aquatic invaders. The enemy types get pretty varied and there are the usual shmup-type powerups. There are both Easy and Normal difficulty levels, I think the only difference is the number of hits you can take when each stage begins, though. For hardcore challenge, you can enable "Arcade" mode, which allows you to collect gems to upgrade your ship (reminiscent of the Gradius upgrade system), but a single death is an instant game over.

If I have any criticisms of the game, one major annoyance for me is that unlocking the Normal-mode achievements don't also unlock the corresponding Easy ones. It's a good thing there's a certain amount of replay value, I guess. I could easily see myself going through all three game modes before getting tired of Aqua Kitty. If you like arcade-style shooting games, give it a try -- it's good fun.

Thanks for the recommendation. I actually picked this up during the sale even though I haven't really heard much about it, other than checking reviews. It just looked good. I look forward to trying it out. I need to finish Super Time Force before I can get back to the steam list. It's a great game that would be nice to see added to Steam.

iosefe

People still hate me for making them play it during the Christmas chievo metagame.
It's that horrible.
Oh no, it's too late....

It's currently installing

It's that horrible.
I almost bought it yesterday for cash. Surely it can't be that bad for free?

Strider

I'm going to pick this up as soon as my wallet recovers from the sale. Did you find the story well written?

Yes. The game pulls you in from the very beginning and the story will keep you going even when the gameplay starts to feel tedious/boring. The ending is just beautiful though and worth playing through the whole game.

Grief.exe

Knowing your taste in gaming, you will need one by the end of March '15. :)

Bloodborne

Maybe that will be the break even for me, MGSV: PP is also out by then as well so I may want to jump on that release.

Though I would be astounded if we never see MGSV on PC at one point.

I won Risen! Thanks Tektonic!

I actually used to have a key for it and parted with it, when I felt like I had way more games on backlog than I could possibly play, and was trimming the fat.

I'm pretty sure I can fit it into my rotation now, and it looks pretty cool!

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
"Dinosaurs exist and the Nazis have them!" is the tag line for Dino D-Day, a multiplayer shooter set in World War 2 that lets you play as a T-Rex with shoulder-mounted machine guns, or a Velociraptor, or a squidgy human with a gun, among other things.
It's set in an alterna-history scenario in which Hitler creates an army of lizards and rampages across Europe. It's a good enough excuse to jump into the body of a Triceratops and headbutt the marauding menace to death.

that sounds like the greatest game ever.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Turns out that whatever I saved by buying few things this Summer Seal I ended up spending today in two PS3 games. I think I have a problem.

...and the problem is that lately my money isn't going to Gaben's pockets.

I just started L.A. Noire and this game is really well done although some of the movement seems a bit more on rails than I'd like.

I was looking for a game that was a change of pace in my backlog and reluctantly gave this a shot. I was worried it was going to be a GTA clone but I was wrong. I couldn't help but want to keep playing after the first 10 minutes. Before I knew it, I dropped three hours in the game and still wanted to keep playing.

The facial animations are downright incredible and lifelike. It's different than any other game I've played before and am enjoying it a lot more than GTA4. I'm surprised there aren't that many great detective style games out there.

I highly recommend this if you guys are looking for something to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom