• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadGear

Damn, the left analog stick on my 360 Pad started to wiggle more than snoop and its "driving" me crazy in Assetto Corsa :(

I'm considering upgrading to a PS4/Xbox One controller. Anyone here used both of them? Would like to know which one of them has the advantage in terms of triggers and analog sticks. I'm currently favoring the XO controller because of the trigger rumble feature (could be useful if it ever gets supported in AC) and the lower price (~40€ vs 53€).

TsuXna

so i'm enjoying my new mouse a lot, to celebrate that here's a quick giveaway.
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Rogue Legacy- -- MB-B04D9287C03B6D5C - Taken by Saty. 20 entrants total.

t1404311571z1.png
[/QUOTE]

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I'm fairly new to PC gaming (8 months or so) and my PC remains in the living room. It also functions as my HTPC since I've cut cable. To be honest I use a 360 controller for 99% of the games I play. I don't play competitive FPS so it doesn't matter. If a game doesn't have controller support, I just create or download a profile for Xpadder. I do have the Ikea laptop tray for my keyboard/mouse and that's only to browse the web or play Tropico. I think that's really the only game I use it for lol. So the only issue I have with certain games like you said is small text (the Steam client text really pisses me off). However, for most games I'm fine.

well I've been PC gaming since.. heh... like 1981.. but it was as I was saying mostly.. PC games on PC and consoles games on console.. stemming from when that actually WAS the case. I'm fine with the Dualshock4 and DS4Tool.. works perfectly with controller games. My biggest issue with mouse/keyboard games is generally the ones I'm talking about (strategy) don't really seem to lend themselves at all to controller mappings (currently going through Divinity: Original Sin)

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Wow, im scared to go outside of steamGAF now.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=847907

Everyone who responded asking the point of that thread got the banhammer hard (like 5 on the first page alone).

That's why I tend to stay away from the rest of GAF. You will either get insulted by some asshole member who doesn't like your opinion or banned by some moderator who's in a bad mood and abusing his power

Aaron D.

The Forest just got v0.03 update which includes the highly-requested No Enemy Mode.

As per the patch notes, just type veganmode on the title screen to activate. You'll know you got it because the graphics change on that screen. It's kinda funny.

Gave it a whirl last night and I have to say that that it's a lot more fun setting up base camp without looking over your shoulder every 20 seconds. I like the idea of hostile island natives, but I think the balancing has been poor for early game.

I guess being confronted immediately is supposed to amp up the tension or something, but I just found it too frustrating to try and gather your wits with nothing on hand while fending off enemies as soon as your feet hit the ground. Perhaps enemy spawns would be better if triggered after you've gathered resources and built minimum sustainability structures (basic shelter / fire).

Anyway, loving the latest patch. Code seems a bit more optimized too as I'm experiencing less slowdown than I remember. Game is still early as heck, but it's shaping up nicely.

zeroOman

I have this problem in which when I and my brother start Transformers: Fall of Cybertron it say multiple acc detect and kick me or him out.... when we try online.

I played the game with family shearing from his acc until i got the game and added to my acc.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Wow, im scared to go outside of steamGAF now.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=847907

Everyone who responded asking the point of that thread got the banhammer hard (like 5 on the first page alone).

This was the best comment:

"yeah well given all the great exclusive playstation content that won't be available on any other non sony platform, i hope you get hit by a car on the way back from the pawn shop."

it was posted by ghst

Should I swap my 780 GTX for a 780 GTX Ti?

Better off just buying a 2nd 780 TBH. I have a single Ti and plan to SLI it in the future, but if I had gone for a 780 instead I probably would have been just as satisfied and done the same thing with those. Are you overclocking at all?

The_Monk

Been playing a bit of Typing of the Dead here and there since the time is more limited now.

Will try to leave my tiny impressions of Typing of the Dead when I'm done with it but I'm playing in a very, very casual way not seeking for any sort of challenge because, not only my typing is slow, English is not my native language so it gets harsh with longer sentences. I also have all the DLCs. The game does not seem to be very long (even with 2 modes) but it's good for short bursts of time.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The Forest just got v0.03 update which includes the highly-requested No Enemy Mode.

As per the patch notes, just type veganmode on the title screen to activate. You'll know you got it because the graphics change on that screen. It's kinda funny.

Gave it a whirl last night and I have to say that that it's a lot more fun setting up base camp without looking over your shoulder every 20 seconds. I like the idea of hostile island natives, but I think the balancing has been poor for early game.

I guess being confronted immediately is supposed to amp up the tension or something, but I just found it too frustrating to try and gather your wits with nothing on hand while fending off enemies as soon as your feet hit the ground. Perhaps enemy spawns would be better if triggered after you've gathered resources and built minimum sustainability structures (basic shelter / fire).

Anyway, loving the latest patch. Code seems a bit more optimized too as I'm experiencing less slowdown than I remember. Game is still early as heck, but it's shaping up nicely.
That's excellent news. The devs confirmation of work on a mode like that peaked my GF's interest in the game so I'm happy to see they placed a fair amount of importance on it to get it in the game so early on.

well I've been PC gaming since.. heh... like 1981.. but it was as I was saying mostly.. PC games on PC and consoles games on console.. stemming from when that actually WAS the case. I'm fine with the Dualshock4 and DS4Tool.. works perfectly with controller games. My biggest issue with mouse/keyboard games is generally the ones I'm talking about (strategy) don't really seem to lend themselves at all to controller mappings (currently going through Divinity: Original Sin)

1981? What a coincedence. That's my birth year lol.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Edit: No longer needed, so here's something else. I've been playing The Blackwell Legacy after Rhaknar gifted me the bundle, and it's awesome. Point and Click games are pretty great, so I was really pleased to find out that's what I'd got. Not played much so far so I'm looking forward to seeing where it all goes over the course of the games.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Been playing a bit of Typing of the Dead here and there since the time is more limited now.

Will try to leave my tiny impressions of Typing of the Dead when I'm done with it but I'm playing in a very, very casual way not seeking for any sort of challenge because, not only my typing is slow, English is not my native language so it gets harsh with longer sentences. I also have all the DLCs. The game does not seem to be very long (even with 2 modes) but it's good for short bursts of time.
typing of the dead is House of the Dead: Overkill just with typing instead of light gun shooting. Literally. It is the exact same game shot for shot. My biggest complaint with the game is I am a pretty good typist. 97% accuracy with like 2000 characters typed per level and combos of over 25. yet to get goregasm you also have to NOT get hit which I don't understand much. you supposedly get a stun every 5 characters typed but I KNOW I've hit like 6-7 characters and I STILL get hit almost immediately by zombies, thus losing my combo and no goregasm... it seems like a really crappy and broken mechanic. that being said the game is still fun.

The two modes are... HotD:Overkill as typing and as a gun game. So it's basically two games for the price of one. That being said, my buddies and I already beat the hell out of the light gun game on Wii years ago.. so I can't see me ever touching that on the PC.

XShagrath

It's not my birthday, but it is the 1 year anniversary of when I joined GAF.

By the way, you guys are all awesome and I'm glad to be part of this community.

Happy joinday, shackles!

To provide some content for the thread, I beat Call of Juarez: Gunslinger the other day. I rather enjoyed it. I felt the way the story progressed was rather unique, and the shooting felt good to me (not a huge FPS player). It's also pretty short at about 5-6 hours.

Sorry I don't have a huge review like some, but would definitely recommend it.

L.O.R.D

soo, this is my first giveaway using the modbot
i have this keys for some times and decide to give it away , enjoy

ModBot said:
Instructions for L.O.R.D:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Alan Wake's American Nightmare -- MB-B5595174155EFF07 - Taken by Hugstable
Alan wake collector's edition -- MB-78BC8F8607F9511B - Taken by zeroOman

t1404322449z1.png

Grief.exe

Thanks for the heads up, I will throw the information in the OT.

Can't wait to hear about it Monk, I've been on the fence with that one for a while now.

ArjanN

typing of the dead is House of the Dead: Overkill just with typing instead of light gun shooting. Literally. It is the exact same game shot for shot. My biggest complaint with the game is I am a pretty good typist. 97% accuracy with like 2000 characters typed per level and combos of over 25. yet to get goregasm you also have to NOT get hit which I don't understand much. you supposedly get a stun every 5 characters typed but I KNOW I've hit like 6-7 characters and I STILL get hit almost immediately by zombies, thus losing my combo and no goregasm... it seems like a really crappy and broken mechanic. that being said the game is still fun.

The two modes are... HotD:Overkill as typing and as a gun game. So it's basically two games for the price of one. That being said, my buddies and I already beat the hell out of the light gun game on Wii years ago.. so I can't see me ever touching that on the PC.

Even if you're a super-fast typer you still have to prioritize the correct enemies (words) first.

You're right that's pretty much House of the Dead: overkill except with shooting replaced typing, they only really switch it up with a different mechanic for the final boss.

Well, I might have bought it at around 20€.
But here it officially costs 40€ for PC, 50€ for old gen consoles and 60€ for current gen.
I think it's a bit much for a game like this.

In truth, I believe that the current model is outdated and that the asking price for games should match both the scope of the game and the budget.

Paying 40€ for a game like Divinity Original Sin (or 100€, in my case) is totally ok, in my opinion. I perceive value in the game. The budget wasn't a gazillion dollars, but the game is ambitious and has a lot of depth. The asking price, I think, is fair.

I hope I made a bit of sense :p

I get the point you're making. I do wish something would change in the way this business works so that just above average games can somehow survive.

I will say this though... I'm acutely aware that it is impossible to perform qualitative assessment on something as broad as 'production values', but honestly, if Telltale can get away with churning out their $25 games that go on to sell millions of copies, then this game really should be acceptable to the market at the $40 price point.

Gaffers - should I get BattleBlock Theater for 1k?

I've been playing in recent days both Battleblock theatre and Castle crashers, and I would ideally recommend to you to purchase the Laughing bundle.
Anyway if you're into platformers you may like Battleblock, by the way there's plenty of content there so it may keep your interest for a while.

I take this occasion to remark how much I'm enjoying Castle crashers, a modern take on old-school side-scolling beat'em-ups such as Golden axe or Double dragon.

liezryou

Hey those of who are just starting to get into key trading or buying games using keys.

Don't be stupid and buy games from people like this - http://www.tf2outpost.com/trade/20891135 . It is impossible to get dayZ for 9 keys and still be profitable for the seller. This is obviously a stolen credit card scam and if you trade for these gifts they will likely get revoked and you will NOT get your keys back

Sometimes steam reverses these trades, sometimes they don't. If it seems too good to be true, it usually is.

Steam won't let me add funds to wallet. Really weird. And support is so backed up it's taking forever for a response.
Steam let me add funds to my wallet. It's just that it decides to prevent any purchases when I go to use said funds.
So we can wallow in the support queue together
forever.
:(

Grief.exe

Looks like Steam keys were promised for the game Rockin Android once it was Greenlit. The developers did not deliver the keys and now are keeping people quiet about it.

Sure, they might make some more money in the short term, but positive word of mouth will generate so much more revenue over the life of your product.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/29nh19/publishers_lied_to_people_about_steam_keys_now_on/

I love my PS4! My XB1... not so much. But at least there's good Halo on the way.

I'm looking at a PS4 probably near the end of 2015, need some compelling titles to justify a purchase.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I've been playing in recent days both Battleblock theatre and Castle crashers, and I would ideally recommend to you to purchase the Laughing bundle.
Anyway if you're into platformers you may like Battleblock, by the way there's plenty of content there so it may keep your interest for a while.

I take this occasion to remark how much I'm enjoying Castle crashers, a modern take on old-school side-scolling beat'em-ups such as Golden axe or Double dragon.

Castle Crashers and Battleblock are both great fun, especially with co-op friends, I'd recommend them both for sure. Battleblock seems a little more repetitive but it's entertaining nonetheless.

L.O.R.D

for the new page :

soo, this is my first giveaway using the modbot
i have this keys for some times and decide to give it away , enjoy

ModBot said:
Instructions for L.O.R.D:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Alan Wake's American Nightmare -- MB-B5595174155EFF07 - Taken by Hugstable
Alan wake collector's edition -- MB-78BC8F8607F9511B - Taken by zeroOman

t1404322449z1.png

Kiru

Hey those of who are just starting to get into key trading or buying games using keys.

Don't be stupid and buy games from people like this - http://www.tf2outpost.com/trade/20891135 . It is impossible to get dayZ for 9 keys and still be profitable for the seller. This is obviously a stolen credit card scam and if you trade for these gifts they will likely get revoked and you will NOT get your keys back

Sometimes steam reverses these trades, sometimes they don't. If it seems too good to be true, it usually is.

Also
add ne to discass
lol

My birthday too, guess I'll do one as well!
Standard birthday giveaway:
Congrats to both of you! Great giveaways.
Thanks! I'm almost done with the new version for Chrome, but I'm going to (unfortunately) have to release the new Firefox version separately.
Valve made some huge changes / restrictions to their API, and I'm finding Chrome to be much more adept at working with these changes. The Firefox code is going to have to have major parts of it re-written to get working again. Hopefully the new version for Firefox will be ready by the end of next week.
Shame, I main Firefox due to certain addons. It uses +2gb of my 4gb ram though.
Wonder if jump to chrome is worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom