• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JakeD

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

revenge of the titans -- MB-2DAE5542C28D7C14 - Taken by ArynCrinn
woodle tree adventure -- MB-98FA9C3AD7D53EDF - Taken by 8 X 11 Printer Paper
Woodle is an indiegala link, Titans is a key

gabbo

Been on a classics-search-trip lately.
Soldier of Fortune and Battlezone 2 are not on Steam?

Such a shame. Especially later one. Spent dozens of hours in that game. I think it was one of the first games to mix strategy, base-building, vehicular combat and first-person-shooting. It was so addicting.

Soldier of Fortune had such satisfying combat. And a killer single-player campaign.

SoF is a bit of a pain in the ass to get working, though I agree, it's an over-the-top violence-a-thon and it's satisfyingly fun.

Advent Rising got cards.

And is this the first 'realistic' Boxing game on Steam? http://store.steampowered.com/app/296770/

it isn't real boxing unless its compatable with this controller:
colecovision%20rocky%20super%20action%20boxing%20box%20combo%20full.jpg

Lain

I wonder how many giveaways I missed while sleeping yesterday!

I learned today that Momodora will have cards added in the future and that pleases me. Also that new Groupees bundle looked good so I grabbed it. Have the spare game I already owned:
ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Revenge of the Titans -- MB-752BBAC95ACC8540 - Taken by Purkake4

Mokoi

Banned
Yeah this sale I'm actually satisfied with my haul (well, until I look at # spent but I can just not look right). Well, except for Bad Rats.

Probably will play all the games I nabbed.

I will play all the games I got. However, the question is if I will ever beat them.

So I bought Guacamelee on Steam during the summer steam sale for $6. Now its $3. Steam why you do this to me!?

$6 is still a great price.

Purkake4

Banned
I wonder how many giveaways I missed while sleeping yesterday!

I learned today that Momodora will have cards added in the future and that pleases me. Also that new Groupees bundle looked good so I grabbed it. Have the spare game I already owned:
Cheers!

Caerith

I've just finished Gone Home. Lmao, this has to be the most overhyped gaming product ever. Such a non-noteworthy game.

It's neither the incredible mature revolutionary game that's worthy of GOTY titles, nor the putrid vile piece of garbage that spells doom for the industry. It's a cute touchy-feely story... and that's about it. It's written pretty well, carries some human emotions (
not only in the main plotline, but also their parents falling apart, which even worked better for me
), but it's honestly nothing to write home about.

I guess maybe I didn't receive it as well as some because I'm too young and didn't grow up in America so all the '90s nostalgia didn't hit that hard? It just... fell flat. At times it even felt like a checklist of "what was relevant in '94/'95? Reference it!".

The timeline of the story felt very off to. From the journals in my opinion it seemed like the game should span several years... but due to the framing device it was crammed into less than a year. Felt unnatural and as if Sam matured a lot over a relatively short periods of time.

But well, honestly. I just don't get neither the immense praise, nor the overly dramatic criticisms. Would I recommend it? If you have some spare time and grabbed it at some sale, why the hell not. At less than 2.5 hour it's about a length of the movie and it might just tug on your emotions a bit.

I liked it, but I went in with tempered expectations. I thought it was an interesting experience-- Sam's story being told through diary entries, the mother's story through letters
(and a hidden romance novel)
, the father's through, well, everything about the house.
The uncle's, too, once you put all the pieces together.

I completely disagree with you regarding
the timeline. Sam's a teenager, teenagers mature quickly, albeit not completely.

Mostly Gone Home makes me wish I could play Bioshock without shooting thousands of monsters, just exploring the world and learning about its people and its history.

Volimar

I liked it, but I went in with tempered expectations. I thought it was an interesting experience-- Sam's story being told through diary entries, the mother's story through letters
(and a hidden romance novel)
, the father's through, well, everything about the house.
The uncle's, too, once you put all the pieces together.

I completely disagree with you regarding
the timeline. Sam's a teenager, teenagers mature quickly, albeit not completely.

Mostly Gone Home makes me wish I could play Bioshock without shooting thousands of monsters, just exploring the world and learning about its people and its history.

I just finished Gone Home and I loved it. Those feels. I had the sneaking suspicion that
Sam had killed herself in the attic. So glad that I was wrong.
After playing Serena, I was quite happy with how things turned out. So weird that it has cards, lol.

r3n4ud

enjoy
ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Magicians and Looters -- MB-8641C0395DA51D92 - Taken by Junko. 7 entrants total.

t1404325412z1.png

Grief.exe

Finally! An excuse to go through this game on PC!... that I bought years and years ago! Yes!

Today I learned Advent Rising is on Steam. Didn't this game end on a hell of a cliff hangar because it was part of a planned trilogy that never materialised.

Make sure to check out the various fixes and patches. Advent Rising is actually fairly solid, there is a patch to fix some issues and movie files, then a widescreen and FOV fix.

http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Advent_Rising

TsuXna

i want to save doctors in Conviction...but it seems its impossible. Every time i enter the door they are dead and once I was so close killed enemies but someone invincible killed them. Dafuq i'm tired of trying.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I see Bundle Stars Resurrection Bundle has Grimind in it. A nice little platformer game that seeks to have some of the thrill of horror games in it.

You play as an amnesiac dinosaur like creature who is terrified and alone in a temple or city in a state of decrepitude.

A simple platformer that never asks for very much in the way of challenging jumps, always lead you on where to go with how the stage is laid out to lean into or highlights with colour, and whose puzzles are never quite as complex as you might originally think they are. It falters a bit in the fact one should always have the "grab/hug" button pressed down so that when running or jumping you will get where you need to go more often than not, even if you fail to see what you are grabbing onto.

To try and stand out gameplay wise it uses a physics engine. This comes into play as you swing across vines, rocks crumble, water flows, creatures bounce off each other, and you the player picks up and throws balls. While okay, it's competent only and perhaps frustrating in the first few tries to figure it out at different points (a ball that explodes needs to be grabbed carefully). Never does much or asks for much.

Yet, it is still a game I took quite a bit from and enjoyed my team with up to a specific point.

The atmosphere and theme of the game is that of horror. The fear of being alone, of not really understanding what is out there in the darkness, and being dropped down into locations with rarely a reason why or what to do until you get close to the end. For this the creators of the game ask you to play in a dark room and with a good set of headphones and I dare say it accomplishes this task of making the game stand out far more than it would if played brightly and in silence.
To bring this into game play often you can be in the dark, shivering or moaning in fear, where that ball of light is precious for survival. Where if there is no light and you make a mad dash to freedom or follow a chance of survival, you look for the smallest of colours beyond the pitch black in near blind hope.

I however never completed this game despite my thoughts above. For while it does stand out and I recommend at least early on for those seeking good sound and atmosphere examples, I never felt satisfied with the platforming and a change in game play in the second half of the game resulted in great frustration where I had to move a floating ball between obstacles and the mouse controls were simply not helpful and just plain annoying in how simple it was to fail due to the layout, floaty physics used, and "one touch to anything is a restart of the puzzle". I completed it mind you, but I simply stopped caring at that point.
Later I saw it would often default to limited time of light available and follow the leader trial and error which without challenging platformer I've never cared for.

I did enjoy it's use of achievements. Rather than "complete this chapter" or " jump 10 times in a row" they used a set-up of secrets in the game with the Achievement picture being a small close up picture of where to go to find said secret. I went to locate them simply because I enjoy this type of challenge and a few were clever in their hidden paths.

Simple in most regards, worth trying out for what it attempts to do more than what it accomplishes, and perhaps you will not be as annoyed as I was in Chapter 8 to discover what this game is about and the amusing secrets it has for achievements which I found rather clever.
As part of a bundle, that is to get cheap or as a gift, it's worth trying out.

Cliffhangers need to be banned from all of gaming. They never work out it seems.

I think it's more the planned trilogies that rarely work out. Advent Rising, Too Human...

Make sure to check out the various fixes and patches. Advent Rising is actually fairly solid, there is a patch to fix some issues and movie files, then a widescreen and FOV fix.

http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Advent_Rising

I played through Advent Rising ages ago on the Xbox but I'll probably grab it after I burn through my sale purchases, thanks for the heads up.

SoF is a bit of a pain in the ass to get working, though I agree, it's an over-the-top violence-a-thon and it's satisfyingly fun.
Yeah, but the violence actually fitted like a glove.
It's not on GOG either. Is it abandonware already? It's not buyable first-hand anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom