• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.
just wanted to say f u to valve. Now, instead of selling card for a nice little discount on my purchases i find myself hoarding cards in case badge making becomes a thing again in the next major sale. sigh.

It will.

And you will make 10x the money selling the seasonal cards day 1 than you would with the pittance from card drops.

Be happy.

iosefe

seeing all this PayDay 2 stuff makes me wish i had the PC version.

none of you guys have the ps3 version do you? i never really got into it, because no one to play with.

LibertiesKids_Banner.jpg

Am I the only one who thought of this?

So did I. Also I doubt the guy on the right had a lot of Liberty back in the day.

good luck. only enter if you are in the US
Ain't that from the amazon deal?
Only buying is restricted to US, not activating on steam afaik.
Entered.
Yep, I just checked steamdb and it looks like there are two subs for the Red Faction Complete Edition: http://steamdb.info/sub/2284/ and http://steamdb.info/sub/15630/

Both have only following restrictions:
AllowPurchaseFromRestrictedCountries No
PurchaseRestrictedCountries DE

CassSept

I've just finished Gone Home. Lmao, this has to be the most overhyped gaming product ever. Such a non-noteworthy game.

It's neither the incredible mature revolutionary game that's worthy of GOTY titles, nor the putrid vile piece of garbage that spells doom for the industry. It's a cute touchy-feely story... and that's about it. It's written pretty well, carries some human emotions (
not only in the main plotline, but also their parents falling apart, which even worked better for me
), but it's honestly nothing to write home about.

I guess maybe I didn't receive it as well as some because I'm too young and didn't grow up in America so all the '90s nostalgia didn't hit that hard? It just... fell flat. At times it even felt like a checklist of "what was relevant in '94/'95? Reference it!".

The timeline of the story felt very off to. From the journals in my opinion it seemed like the game should span several years... but due to the framing device it was crammed into less than a year. Felt unnatural and as if Sam matured a lot over a relatively short periods of time.

But well, honestly. I just don't get neither the immense praise, nor the overly dramatic criticisms. Would I recommend it? If you have some spare time and grabbed it at some sale, why the hell not. At less than 2.5 hour it's about a length of the movie and it might just tug on your emotions a bit.

Jadax

well I couldnt activate it here (germany) thats why I'm giving it away and I thought it was locked to the US.

I now bought it a second time however and activated it with a US VPN. that worked

You shouldn't really use a VPN to activate games...like ever. Steam is pretty strict about cross-region activation.

derExperte

The Turfster Quality Update

Daily
  • Sacred Collection 80% 5.99
  • Sacred 2 80% 3.99
  • Sacred Gold 80% 1.99

You forgot
  • Sacred Citadel
  • Sacred Citadel: Jungle Hunt
  • Sacred 1 Gold

You shouldn't really use a VPN to activate games...like ever. Steam is pretty strict about cross-region activation.

If by strict you mean they don't care and never have banned anyone for activating a game through VPN you are 100% correct. :O

well I couldnt activate it here (germany) thats why I'm giving it away and I thought it was locked to the US.

I now bought it a second time however and activated it with a US VPN. that worked

Interesting. Germany here, too. Amazon doesn't do paypal, so I couldn't buy this bundle or I would have already. RF1-2+G are among my favourite action games.
So activation needs VPN? That's doable. But it's not like Wolfenstein where you have to VPN at every game start, right?
If I don't win, I might come back to you with a buy offer. Did you use credit card or how did you pay amazon us?

ViviOggi

Valve doesn't care about VPN activation of externally purchased keys at all. You'll get in trouble for directly purchasing from other countries' Steam stores though, and possibly for activating region locked gifts?

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Some people showed interest in this game when I gave it away so here's another copy.

ModBot said:
Instructions for Sub Zero:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Kenshi -- MB-EC054DDAD23BF5B7

t1404332135z1.png

All that talk about Sunless Sea yesterday got me thinking, I would love a Terror from the Depth expansion for X-Com with enphasis in Lovercraftian mythos and some kind of sanity management.

That reminds my of a canceled game that was going to be X-com meets Lovecraft. I can't remember the name. Delta Green maybe?

abracadaver

Interesting. Germany here, too. Amazon doesn't do paypal, so I couldn't buy this bundle or I would have already. RF1-2+G are among my favourite action games.
So activation needs VPN? That's doable. But it's not like Wolfenstein where you have to VPN at every game start, right?
If I don't win, I might come back to you with a buy offer. Did you use credit card or how did you pay amazon us?

only need VPN to activate, not to start the games

I use credit card and borderlinx address

Jawmuncher

You forgot
  • Sacred Citadel
  • Sacred Citadel: Jungle Hunt
  • Sacred 1 Gold

If by strict you mean they don't care and never have banned anyone for activating a game through VPN you are 100% correct. :O

Thanks edited it.
Such a pain doing this on mobile. It doesn't bring up all of them.

Still up for grabs.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (FiveElementNinja, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Skyscraper Simulator -- MB-DB44B0CE3F52A4FF - Taken by electroflame

Been on a classics-search-trip lately.
Soldier of Fortune and Battlezone 2 are not on Steam?

Such a shame. Especially later one. Spent dozens of hours in that game. I think it was one of the first games to mix strategy, base-building, vehicular combat and first-person-shooting. It was so addicting.

Soldier of Fortune had such satisfying combat. And a killer single-player campaign.

StAidan

I've just finished Gone Home. Lmao, this has to be the most overhyped gaming product ever. Such a non-noteworthy game.

It's neither the incredible mature revolutionary game that's worthy of GOTY titles, nor the putrid vile piece of garbage that spells doom for the industry. It's a cute touchy-feely story... and that's about it. It's written pretty well, carries some human emotions (
not only in the main plotline, but also their parents falling apart, which even worked better for me
), but it's honestly nothing to write home about.

I guess maybe I didn't receive it as well as some because I'm too young and didn't grow up in America so all the '90s nostalgia didn't hit that hard? It just... fell flat. At times it even felt like a checklist of "what was relevant in '94/'95? Reference it!".

The timeline of the story felt very off to. From the journals in my opinion it seemed like the game should span several years... but due to the framing device it was crammed into less than a year. Felt unnatural and as if Sam matured a lot over a relatively short periods of time.

But well, honestly. I just don't get neither the immense praise, nor the overly dramatic criticisms. Would I recommend it? If you have some spare time and grabbed it at some sale, why the hell not. At less than 2.5 hour it's about a length of the movie and it might just tug on your emotions a bit.

I went into it essentially unspoiled and was similarly underwhelmed. I don't know what I expected from the story based on the praise I kept hearing about it, but ultimately it turned out to be a pretty forgettable
teenage coming of age/romance
similar to others (inside or outside the world of video games) that have been around for as long as I can remember. I just can't help but feel there were more worthy games for me to spend a couple hours on (the monetary cost aside, which was negligible).

EDIT: As someone who remembers
the 90's
quite well, the
historical touches
were nice, but not enough to save the experience.

Mordeccai

I've had sacred 2 gold for a year and a half now, really wanted to play it but have never been able to boot the damn game once, on Windows 7 or Windows 8. Did an hour of trouble shooting and googling, couldn't figure out what the hell was wrong.

I always see it in my backlog and want to give it a spin but I just cant get the thing to launch. Anyone run into a similar issue with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom