• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

denx

Ok that Sam fight in MGR was awesome, best boss fight in the game yet imo. I beated him wearing the mariachi outfit just to complete the wild west duel theme (sorta kinda).

def sim

Long Live the Queen is pretty fun or, at least, it's a good thing to play while listening to a podcast.

I'll be buying this again, for sure.

sandwichforeverk3k0n.gif

yGray

Banned
Yeah Capy's a cool company. I like the style of Super Time Force. Plus the co founder thinks Shovel Knight is as awesome as I do.

dot

Lol, I used to be Leila. My normal screen name is Mono, but some gaffer took the name in 2005 and only posted twice. I asked the mods about it and they seemed to have stealth-changed me to Mono yesterday!

Wait, if you're Mono now what happens to the original Mono? Are they Leila now? Or some other form of Mono?!

STFU looks interesting. I've never heard of the game before until today.

Mono

Has anyone ever gotten Steam to download a game while playing another one? I know that's a feature they added a while ago (I think?) but I never could get it to work. The Last Remnant is actually a huge file and I want to play Rogue Legacy while I wait!

Grief.exe

Has anyone ever gotten Steam to download a game while playing another one? I know that's a feature they added a while ago (I think?) but I never could get it to work. The Last Remnant is actually a huge file and I want to play Rogue Legacy while I wait!

• Start game
  • Initiate download

Alternatively, you can alt-tab and resume the download after starting the game or select the 'download during gameplay' option in the settings menu.

Shadownet

Banned

Just start the Last Remnant. Press Alt and Tab to go back out to the windows screen. Press download on Steam page. Its kinda annoying but that's the only way s

There's a setting in the downloads section of the settings window where you can set it to allow or disallow downloads while playing globally. Or you can right-click the game you want to play, go to properties>updates and set that specific one to allow background downloads.

Thanks everyone for your kind words and positive thoughts. Even though I don't think it went as well as it could have, like many have pointed out, sometimes that's just the way things go. Hopefully they'll surprise me.

Nope, that is one thing I can share: this wasn't for Valve. I've applied there a ton of times (to the point that they're probably sick of seeing my name) but haven't even got as far as getting a single call or interview.
I wish you get your dream job at Valve. All the nifty features and shortcuts would add so much when integrated properly/officially into Steam.
Wonder what the business team at Valve thinks about your work though. Before I started using ES, I knew pc gaming meant largely Steam. From various places on the net Steams low prices were hailed and it didn't even cross my mind that competetive marketplaces existed. Now, when I am on the steampage of a game, I unwillingly look at ES stats about prices first before judging steams price value. One thing is sure, Amazon and GMG have a lot of times better deals.
I'd never knew that without ES. And for me as a customer this is very useful information. But from the perspective of a business suit, sitting in an office at Valve, trying to come up with new plans to maximize profits, ES can look like a danger.
If you were to be hired by Valve, wouldn't these people want to change ES, so that Steams competitors don't get a place in the spotlight anymore?
You put a lot of work, time and effort into ES and I am thankful for that. But does Valves financial heads think that way? Or do they think, "What can ES and jshackles add not (only) to the Steam-user but to our company, our growth, our profit?
I mean, there can be no doubt many people at Valve know and admire your work. But Valve is a company and has more than just user-friendliness in mind.
I wish for you to find a fulfilling job but most often the brightest star is not the closest.

denx

Yeah they added that functionality a while ago and has worked flawlessly thus far (except when the servers are getting hammered like at times during the Summer Seal). Just make sure to enable background downloads as a global setting.

Turfster

Also make sure "allow downloads during gameplay" is checked on the settings/downloads tab.
It should in theory let the download continue, even after you boot rogue legacy.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Make sure this is checked in your settings:

WnjtvJe.png

EDIT: Beat pretty bad
, but I have a screenshot! :)

Mono

Wait, if you're Mono now what happens to the original Mono? Are they Leila now? Or some other form of Mono?!

STFU looks interesting. I've never heard of the game before until today.

I have no idea! I'm curious as well and have been trying to track down those two posts from 2005. :O

I'm assuming they're either a) completely purged from the internet, or b) fakeMono is now unregistered-324328 or something and their posts are still there.

I feel kind of bad for stealing my own identity back, but clearly this other Mono was a dopplegaffer and I'm the real one. Trust me!

Indignate

I remember seeing Galak-Z around DICE time. It's a really different thing to see coming from the Skulls of the Shogun team. Looks really nice and has a lot of elements to it (stealth, causing other factions to fight each other).

Mono

Thanks guys! I wish I had known about that trick before.

And why that checkbox in the download tab to allow that is unchecked by default will always be a mystery to me.

Thanks guys! I wish I had known about that trick before.

And why that checkbox in the download tab to allow that is unchecked by default will always be a mystery to me.
Can't say I know why either. I just set it to allow background downloads globally, then turn them off on a game by game basis if the hit is too much. (Like DOTA updates...)

dot

Ha that .gif is crazy... and I like it!

I can't tell if he's spitting it out or sucking it back in.

perverts

I have no idea! I'm curious as well and have been trying to track down those two posts from 2005. :O

I'm assuming they're either a) completely purged from the internet, or b) fakeMono is now unregistered-324328 or something and their posts are still there.

I feel kind of bad for stealing my own identity back, but clearly this other Mono was a dopplegaffer and I'm the real one. Trust me!

oh okay, whatever you say Momo.

I'm gonna laugh if this turns out to be not bad. I wanna play as Hit-Girl!

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Lol, I used to be Leila. My normal screen name is Mono, but some gaffer took the name in 2005 and only posted twice. I asked the mods about it and they seemed to have stealth-changed me to Mono yesterday!

Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification, I was a bit puzzled for a minute.

Shadownet

Banned
Hey guys I'm home. I'll give you guys like 20 mins to look over your wishlist and update it. Hopefully you'll have the mystery game that I'm giving away. I'll pick out 4 people who I think have been awesome ever since I joined SteamGAF.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I wish you get your dream job at Valve. All the nifty features and shortcuts would add so much when integrated properly/officially into Steam.
Wonder what the business team at Valve thinks about your work though. Before I started using ES, I knew pc gaming meant largely Steam. From various places on the net Steams low prices were hailed and it didn't even cross my mind that competetive marketplaces existed. Now, when I am on the steampage of a game, I unwillingly look at ES stats about prices first before judging steams price value. One thing is sure, Amazon and GMG have a lot of times better deals.
I'd never knew that without ES. And for me as a customer this is very useful information. But from the perspective of a business suit, sitting in an office at Valve, trying to come up with new plans to maximize profits, ES can look like a danger.
If you were to be hired by Valve, wouldn't these people want to change ES, so that Steams competitors don't get a place in the spotlight anymore?
You put a lot of work, time and effort into ES and I am thankful for that. But does Valves financial heads think that way? Or do they think, "What can ES and jshackles add not (only) to the Steam-user but to our company, our growth, our profit?
I mean, there can be no doubt many people at Valve know and admire your work. But Valve is a company and has more than just user-friendliness in mind.
I wish for you to find a fulfilling job but most often the brightest star is not the closest.

I've met quite a few of the business development folks at Valve, and they all love Enhanced Steam. When I spoke with them about things like the price history feature, their response was pretty much:

We think it's great that the users are able to find the best value, even if it's not on Steam. And if the best price for a game isn't on Steam, why not? What can we learn from that? How can we improve our process to constantly strive to give the customer the best value?

So, they "get it", and I really appreciate that and the time they've taken out of their busy days providing me answers like that one.

And don't worry about the future of Enhanced Steam. Even if I were to get a job with Valve, they wouldn't have any control over any of Enhanced Steam's features. The application is open source, so even if I were no longer in charge of building new features or maintaining the existing ones, there are people I know and trust that would take over that role.

More likely than not, the reason I haven't been hired by Valve to work on the Steam engineering team is that I've inevitably pissed someone off (or several people) along the way by introducing a new feature they didn't like or allowing a user to do something they're not supposed to be able to. In that regard, from a business perspective, it's their job as engineers to distribute and withhold just the right amount of information to a customers, and Enhanced Steam gives the customer the advantage in that situation.

Mono

Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification, I was a bit puzzled for a minute.

No problem! \o/

I was told that there's another gaffer with the same avatar as me when I posted in an off-topic thread and confused everyone, but we have yet to run into each other. If I do run into them, I'll probably change my icon and confuse everyone further.

There was a game for this? o_0

Mono, I actually did have a guy with my same avatar. Joined after I started using it too. I PM'd him and asked if he could, or wanted to change it (asked in the thread I found him in first, too.). Didn't get a response. So I took the white background off and called it a day. :p
IT WAS MINE FIRST, DAMMIT

Vlad

Also make sure "allow downloads during gameplay" is checked on the settings/downloads tab.
It should in theory let the download continue, even after you boot rogue legacy.

Huh, never even knew that option was there. I always just would alt-tab out of the game and force the now-paused download to resume.

Tektonic

bothdance2.gif

I am giving away some keys. It's a GRANDE giveaway (Shoutout to ariana!)
To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

vRvbDCu.png
Medal of Honor (Origin) -- MB-71AAEEB54E155C1C - Taken by danhese007
vRvbDCu.png
Crysis 2 Maximum Edition (Origin) -- MB-97A583BBC9E7A8E3 - Taken by MMBosstones86
Galaxy on Fire 2 (Full HD) -- MB-AB6C46C8D5AB928D - Taken by WinterDemons. 5 entrants total.
vRvbDCu.png
Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 Uprising (Origin) -- MB-0C769FA2671CA153 - Taken by Chariot
Tiny & Big in Grandpa's Leftovers -- MB-B63B8255B26543D4 - Taken by Skyfireblaze. 2 entrants total.
Total War: Rome 2 DLC -- MB-1DEF99B3D8DFC33F - Taken by MikeDown. 1 entrants total.

unless noted; keys are steam

t1404366629z1.png

Ah that explains it, I wondered too :eek:

And I still can't promise I manage to finish this OT for Astebreed but I already started working on it and... does anyone have any OT Titel suggestions in case I do manage? :p

Hugstable

Banned

And I still can't promise I manage to finish this OT for Astebreed but I already started working on it and... does anyone have any OT Titel suggestions in case I do manage? :p

The last boss is Impossible!!!!!! :D.

I progressed alot after 30 tries, but I had to take a break and will continue fighting tomorrow. I always get to the third phase bit I can't find a good time to sword attack or lock on with those 2 homing shots plus everythang else.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
No problem! \o/

I was told that there's another gaffer with the same avatar as me when I posted in an off-topic thread and confused everyone, but we have yet to run into each other. If I do run into them, I'll probably change my icon and confuse everyone further.

In OT? They're used to everyone having the same avatar. Ask Coolio.

I'm still standing by my opinion that Astebreed suffers from bad game design.

wilflare

The last boss is Impossible!!!!!! :D.

I progressed alot after 30 tries, but I had to take a break and will continue fighting tomorrow. I always get to the thrid phase bit I can't find a good time to sword attack or lock on with those 2 homing shots plus everythang else.

the last boss in Astebreed... it's annoying.
I progressed till the third state... and gosh.. T_T

I'm stuck on the last boss too lol

you guys make me feel better... I've been stuck on the last boss since the start of the week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom