• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gifting has changed. It's no longer about spares, promotion or simply helping a friend in need. It's an endless series of proxy battles, fought by gaffers and steam. Gifting, and its consumption of games, has become a well-oiled machine. Gifting has changed. Avatar tagged soldiers carry username tagged weapons, use Steam profile tagged gear. Alcohols inside their bodies enhance and regulate their abilities. Game control. Information control. Emotion control. SteamGAF control. Everything is monitored, and kept under control. Gifting has changed. The age of luck and probability has become the age of control. And he who controls the trading, controls SteamGAF. Gifting has changed. When the trading is under total control, gifting... becomes routine.

*slow clap*

Copons

I was never adorable or humble, and certainly not handsome

Yeah you were like this:

A_Disgaea_Doodle_by_Nami_Tsuki.png

it's just that you changed so much you cannot even remember it anymore. :(

also wtf it's surprisingly hard to find a kawaii pic of Laharl without resorting to the "-hentai" suffix in the google search

I'm responsible for this. The intense gifting he had to endure during the summer sale changed him

Shush you. You were a cutie like him too!

Arthea

I'm thinking of starting up TLR after I get through my backlog. Any missables, any ways to screw yourself over? I read somewhere that you have to avoid grinding for some reason.

It is not necessary to avoid grinding, but it's not needed, really. There is theory that your characters are weaker in the end if you grind a lot, I never checked how true it is, though.

There are some missables in this game, even some characters are missable, it's an unforgiving game for those that love 100%-ing everything.

You can't really screw badly, at least I think you can't, don't see how. It's not uncommon to die in this game a lot, when encountering bosses (or entering locations) you are not ready for, so keep that in mind.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I'm responsible for this. The intense gifting he had to endure during the summer sale changed him

youre like Lang in Rocky III, the movie isnt over when he beats Rocky my friend, thats just the first act

liezryou

I opened a case and found a $130 knife in CSGO, I guess I'm all set for the winter sale!

Sweet jesus. I spent like 50 keys (New keys at the time so they cost 2.5$ each) on TI3 trying to get a courier. Had such shit luck didn't get a single god damn courier. Some people's luck.

Also you can probably get a better deal trading it away rather then marketing it.

Gifting has changed. It's no longer about spares, promotion or simply helping a friend in need. It's an endless series of proxy battles, fought by gaffers and steam. Gifting, and its consumption of games, has become a well-oiled machine. Gifting has changed. Avatar tagged soldiers carry username tagged weapons, use Steam profile tagged gear. Alcohols inside their bodies enhance and regulate their abilities. Game control. Information control. Emotion control. SteamGAF control. Everything is monitored, and kept under control. Gifting has changed. The age of luck and probability has become the age of control. And he who controls the trading, controls SteamGAF. Gifting has changed. When the trading is under total control, gifting... becomes routine.
TZy94OI.png

Caerith

It is not necessary to avoid grinding, but it's not needed, really. There is theory that your characters are weaker in the end if you grind a lot, I never checked how true it is, though.

There are some missables in this game, even some characters are missable, it's an unforgiving game for those that love 100%-ing everything.

You can't really screw badly, at least I think you can't, don't see how. It's not uncommon to die in this game a lot, when encountering bosses (or entering locations) you are not ready for, so keep that in mind.

So I'll probably (regrettably) end up following a guide so I can 100% it in one run. Well, it'll be a while before I get to it.

Meatfist

Sweet jesus. I spent like 50 keys (New keys at the time so they cost 2.5$ each) on TI3 trying to get a courier. Had such shit luck didn't get a single god damn courier. Some people's luck.

Also you can probably get a better deal trading it away rather then marketing it.

What would be the best way to do this? I would prefer paypal instead of steam cash for it, but I feel like steamtrades is too sketchy for me, especially for someone who has zero rep on the site :/

onken

So since the Serious Sam games are on sale - which ones are worth playing? (please don't say all "all of them" - I just want one, maybe 2 max)

So since the Serious Sam games are on sale - which ones are worth playing? (please don't say all "all of them" - I just want one, maybe 2 max)
First and Second Encounter HD if you just wanna play em in the best way possible, almost. And OG 1st and 2nd Encounter for the local co-op.

Arthea

So I'll probably (regrettably) end up following a guide so I can 100% it in one run. Well, it'll be a while before I get to it.

I don't think it's good idea.
TLR is one of those games where I would advice not to care about 100%, it can be too much and take enjoyment out of game, guides taking out even more. Discovering things and mechanics is a big part of what makes TLR fun.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Tribloos 2 got cards, how random

and Sudokuball Detective unlocked on the Groupees Tuesday bundle.

Mono

beginner tips for those playing the Last Remnant

experiment a lot, a game is bad at explaining how things work

always, and I stress it - ALWAYS give materials that your teammates ask for, even if you need those for crafting yourself, they use materials to upgrade their equipment.

Try as many generals as you can, they all are useful in their own ways.

Don't stress about missing things, the game content is monstrous, many optional bosses are really hard to encounter, because of randomness of their appearance, just have fun.

Thanks, that's super helpful! I'm liking the combat system in this game.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
So Valve sent me a notice saying my account is being investigated for suspicious activity. Said suspicious activity was buying 63 copies of Super House of Dead Ninjas in the course of a week (gifts, here and elsewhere). Fair enough I suppose, though I wonder why it took them this long to get around to it if such a thing is honestly a concern for them?

Serious Sam Classics: Revolution is the one to get, being the original just brought up today's standards of features (not graphical looks) with all sorts of crazy extras and joy.
Just pure fun FPS that takes nothing seriously and is all about facing huge waves of enemies or bizarre stand-alones and plenty of hidden secret areas or items to locate should you desire to explore some.

Alternative to the above is Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter if you want it to look better visually, though I don't believe that to be needed.

Serious Sam: The Random Encounter, a top down RPG spin-off that is rather silly and full of attacking.
Can be frustrating due difficulty spikes, but it's memorable I'll say that.

liezryou

What would be the best way to do this? I would prefer paypal instead of steam cash for it, but I feel like steamtrades is too sketchy for me, especially for someone who has zero rep on the site :/

Don't use steamtrades, you will get scammed. Couple of different sites where you can find reputable traders, either PM me or add me on steam and i can help you.

aku:jiki

Serious Sam: The Random Encounter, a top down RPG spin-off that is rather silly and full of attacking.
Can be frustrating due difficulty spikes, but it's memorable I'll say that.
I was pretty disappointed with it. I mean, I get it, it's in the name and everything...but random encounters every 2 seconds is such a pain in the ass. The combat system felt kinda crap too.

I like Serious Sam DDXXL. It's kinda easy and a little shallow but you can stack two shotguns on top of a flamethrower that's mounted on a chainsaw, so what's not to like?

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Has anyone else gotten awful screen tearing on The Last Remnant?

Force Vsynch. http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/The_Last_Remnant#Vertical_sync_.28Vsync.29

I was pretty disappointed with it. I mean, I get it, it's in the name and everything...but random encounters every 2 seconds is such a pain in the ass. The combat system felt kinda crap too.

I like Serious Sam DDXXL. It's kinda easy and a little shallow but you can stack two shotguns on top of a flamethrower that's mounted on a chainsaw, so what's not to like?

I haven't played DDXXL so I can't speak on that, but Random Encounter's whole bit is being random encounters with Serious Sam's tendency of huge waves of enemies and I found that to be an amusing diversion of a game in how they made that work out and the fact it's a short game. Combat is a hit or miss though I'll say, but I found something charming in a "not a good game, but still I like it" kind of way in figuring out the right order of taking the enemies out with the right order of weapons to use.

I won't really argue if someone suggests one of the other games though as a second pick however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom