• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthea

Has anyone else gotten awful screen tearing on The Last Remnant?

Unfortunately, screen tearing is one of worst things about tLR. Unreal engine 3 is to blame, I think.

until you realize the game is just obtuse for the sake of being obtuse :/

i really hate not being able to choose what my units do, that's terrible

but you can choose, it only takes practice, time and knowing what you are doing.

Mono

*ahem*
MIxNZIf.png

There isn't any in-game Vsync, go force it through your driver control panel.

Thank you so much! Hopefully this works.

Unfortunately, screen tearing is one of worst things about tLR. Unreal engine 3 is to blame, I think.

Usually I don't notice or mind this kind of thing when it's minor, but man, it's so bad in TLR that it's very distracting!

zkylon

zkylewd

but you can choose, it only takes practice, time and knowing what you are doing.
i played some ten plus hours and i kept running into situations when my units didn't do what i wanted them to do

i prolly should've pushed a little further but i got tired of trying to defeat some sidequest dragon

in any case it didn't have what i like the most about jrpgs which is fun characters. emma's amazing but when she's got a bunch of drones to talk to it's a bit flat

Indignate

until you realize the game is just obtuse for the sake of being obtuse :/

i really hate not being able to choose what my units do, that's terrible

Persona 3 taught me to let that go. If I lost, it's because I wasn't prepared enough.

But then they gave you control in Persona 4 and it was like the best thing ever.

So yeah, that whole thing kind of sucks.

Yakkue

I just want to thanks a certain German name yakkue. <3 for giving me The Last Remnant. I did not expect it, and normally I dont like accepting gifts. but she was so nice and it's a JRPG. she knew my weakness. <3 thanks dear

Hope you'll enjoy the game! And thanks again for VH!

:3

wonder if Yak is awake, I found the cutest Laharl that needs a Yakkue makeover

wish I knew how to use photoshop :(

working on it :)

Shadownet

Banned
Working on my wishlist is so hard. I'm scouring Steam. But I have no idea whats good or not. I don't recognize any games except the AAA titles lol. You all should just get me 1 Bad Rats and nothing else.

We'll call it even.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Working on my wishlist is so hard. I'm scouring Steam. But I have no idea whats good or not. I don't recognize any games except the AAA titles lol. You all should just get me 1 Bad Rats and nothing else.

We'll call it even.

do like me and just wack everything in there

Indignate

We'll call it even.

Top Selling - Add the 100 things that show up on that list. Do the same thing with the Popular list. You'll get some crossover, but whatever.

Shadownet

Banned
do like me and just wack everything in there

people like you make me sick!

people that have like 300 games and I dont know what to get you!

:p I dont want people to give me games I'm on the fence about. Then I'll feel bad if I dont play it. So I gotta make this list carefully.

Arthea

i played some ten plus hours and i kept running into situations when my units didn't do what i wanted them to do

i prolly should've pushed a little further but i got tired of trying to defeat some sidequest dragon

in any case it didn't have what i like the most about jrpgs which is fun characters. emma's amazing but when she's got a bunch of drones to talk to it's a bit flat

it takes much longer than 10 hours for combat fully develop in this game. It's 3 step process, first you need to choose your units wisely, then you need to make your unions in sensible way to represent what you need and what skills available to you, then you need to choose strategy to be in accordance to your previous steps (there is one more step, training your units the way you need, but that's too complex talk for this thread). That's it. If you do all that, in combat you get several "paradigms" with desired outcomes, you shift through them and choose one desirable in your current situation.
In fact is it simple, just getting there takes time and effort
and how I like it! learning all that I mean

zkylon

zkylewd
Persona 3 taught me to let that go. If I lost, it's because I wasn't prepared enough.

But then they gave you control in Persona 4 and it was like the best thing ever.

So yeah, that whole thing kind of sucks.

i actually kind of liked it in persona 3 because i thought it was cohesive with the general theme of relationships and just playing as "you". i don't mind they adding it on p4 cos it makes gameplay better but i think it meshes better with the themes of the game if you can't control your friends, you know. you can tell them what you think they should do but you know, they're other human/dog/robot/waifu beings so you never know what they will actually do

i like that

persona's also a simpler game and the ai is more often than not smart enough to do the right thing

but the last remnant isn't so cool and there's really no reason for it to be there other than to make the game more "complex". which is weird as the game is actually really deep and enjoyable already so there was no need to ruin it with that. also you're supposed to be sort of a general thingie so it's really shit that you never quite know if people are gonna do exactly what you ask of em

i hated it

it takes much longer than 10 hours for combat fully develop in this game. It's 3 step process, first you need to choose your units wisely, than you need to make your unions in sensible way to represent what you need and what skills available to you, then you need to choose strategy to be in accordance to your previous steps (there is one more step, training your units the way you need, but that's too complex talk for this thread). That's it. If you do all that, in combat you get several "paradigms" with desired outcomes, you shift through them and choose one desirable in your current situation.
In fact is it simple, just getting there takes time and effort
and how I like it! learning all that I mean
i would've been more than happy to go through that if story/world/characters were interesting and shitty rng design wasn't there

Indignate

How is scared 2? What exactly is the collect..1 & 2?

Sacred 2 is fun if you like ARPGs. Servers are offline for co-op though, so you'll have to use something like Tungle if you want to do that.

The collection has Sacred 2 and the spin-off side scrolling beat em' up game, which as someone who likes the genre, felt pretty "eh" to me.

Arthea

i actually kind of liked it in persona 3 because i thought it was cohesive with the general theme of relationships and just playing as "you". i don't mind they adding it on p4 cos it makes gameplay better but i think it meshes better with the themes of the game if you can't control your friends, you know. you can tell them what you think they should do but you know, they're other human/dog/robot/waifu beings so you never know what they will actually do

i like that

persona's also a simpler game and the ai is more often than not smart enough to do the right thing

but the last remnant isn't so cool and there's really no reason for it to be there other than to make the game more "complex". which is weird as the game is actually really deep and enjoyable already so there was no need to ruin it with that. also you're supposed to be sort of a general thingie so it's really shit that you never quite know if people are gonna do exactly what you ask of em

i hated it

that's it, now you've done it!
I'll be summoning giant spiders everywhere I can, you've been warned!

We'll call it even.

Both Cybertron games should go back on it, that's for sure. Vampire The Masquerade as well if you like RPGs along with the Deus Ex games. Just some suggestions.

zkylon

zkylewd
that's it, now you've done it!
I'll be summoning giant spiders everywhere I can, you've been warned!
don't take me wrong, the makings of a good or even great jrpg are there, it's just that it did nothing for me

i enjoyed it for a bit but then i kept asking myself why i was really playing this rather than something more creative

like i just remembered how lame the dungeons were

there aren't that many jrpgs on pc but we need higher standards

we shouldn't settle for the last remnant

also i don't mind spiders as long as they're not around me so summon away. like when i was like 10 i got this idea of an island far far away called "terror island" where all my fears and phobias live in happiness and harmony. spiders would be happy to make their webs and whatever there. it would be like lost. like no one knows about the island and no one can leave it. so like i don't hate spiders, don't want them wiped off the face of the earth, i just want them to live in a place they can never get to me

Indignate

i like that

i hated it

They were definitely capable for the most part. Although not to say that I didn't less a couple hours here and there because they didn't cast the right spell on the right enemy or heal me instead of someone else. Then there was the casting of Mudo, but that just became of case of not taking party members with you that knew that and Hama.

The little I played of Last Remnant on the xbox seemed to have a serious case of not casting the best thing for the situation going on. If I remember correctly, you would have options like "Attack with Arts" "Recover" and the best "Play it by Ear" which I guess was just random pickings of the other options.

At least on the PC you can toggle moves on and off along with those other improvement though. It's why I stopped playing it on console.

Shadownet

Banned
Both Cybertron games should go back on it, that's for sure. Vampire The Masquerade as well if you like RPGs along with the Deus Ex games. Just some suggestions.

I almost forgot about the Transformers game :) thank you.

Is The Masquerade really is that good? I've heard many people talked about it.

Jadax

Yes, though I've seen that people who play more recent RPGs (with shiny graphics etc.) don't tend to like it every much. In any case, it's quite cheap during a sale so keep it on your wishlist.

As for transformers, yuck! Only 1 of them was any good and the rest are beyond crap.

zkylon

zkylewd
They were definitely capable for the most part. Although not to say that I didn't less a couple hours here and there because they didn't cast the right spell on the right enemy or heal me instead of someone else. Then there was the casting of Mudo, but that just became of case of not taking party members with you that knew that and Hama.

The little I played of Last Remnant on the xbox seemed to have a serious case of not casting the best thing for the situation going on. If I remember correctly, you would have options like "Attack with Arts" "Recover" and the best "Play it by Ear" which I guess was just random pickings of the other options.

At least on the PC you can toggle moves on and off along with those other improvement though. It's why I stopped playing it on console.
yea i mean i'm no last remnant expert but from my experience with the game it felt a lot less usable than persona. like p3 sometimes derps but rng's for the most part a non-factor. with the last remnant i felt like that was an issue for all i've played of it

and like 10 hours might not be a lot (xenosaga took like 15 hours to take off but when it did holy fuck it did) but i think it gave me a good enough idea of if i'd like it or not

Copons

yo Copons where you at?

I'm in the mother effing office trying to get some work done (not true I'm rocking an annoying wrist pain
too much playing? or maybe too much laharl-hentai searching?
so I'm faking the fact that I can't code with just my left hand).

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Yes, though I've seen that people who play more recent RPGs (with shiny graphics etc.) don't tend to like it every much. In any case, it's quite cheap during a sale so keep it on your wishlist.

As for transformers, yuck! Only 1 of them was any good and the rest are beyond crap.

err that is not true at all, War for Cybertron and Fall of Cybertron are quite good, especially for G1 fans. the latest seems quite bad tho, then again its a movie tie-in so no surprise

Shadownet

Banned

Thanks for Bad Rats made:) I will play 10 hours of it. Promise.

And who h Transformers was good? Fall of Cybertron?

Arthea

don't take me wrong, the makings of a good or even great jrpg are there, it's just that it did nothing for me

i enjoyed it for a bit but then i kept asking myself why i was really playing this rather than something more creative

like i just remembered how lame the dungeons were

there aren't that many jrpgs on pc but we need higher standards

we shouldn't settle for the last remnant

also i don't mind spiders as long as they're not around me so summon away. like when i was like 10 i got this idea of an island far far away called "terror island" where all my fears and phobias live in happiness and harmony. spiders would be happy to make their webs and whatever there. it would be like lost. like no one knows about the island and no one can leave it. so like i don't hate spiders, don't want them wiped off the face of the earth, i just want them to live in a place they can never get to me

you are doing it wrong, you don't play the Last Remnant for the story, you play it for gameplay, mostly for combat, bosses and partly crafting.
OTOH I can understand people not willing to invest time in learning to play one game.
But Odin Almighty, how you can call this game not creative? That defies reason.

I'll get them, spiders near you, no worries (><)

Jadax

err that is not true at all, War for Cybertron and Fall of Cybertron are quite good, especially for G1 fans. the latest seems quite bad tho, then again its a movie tie-in so no surprise

War for Cyber - Solid game. Liked story. Never played multi. Co-op with friends.
Fall of Cyber - Good story. No co-op was kind of annoying.
Rise of Dark Spark - useless piece of crap.

Thanks for Bad Rats made:) I will play 10 hours of it. Promise.

We will need frapsed proof of this.

I have to disagree with you. War for Cybertron and Fall of Cybertron are great games. Very solid gameplay and they both look great. Prefect games for gen1 fans especially but for anyone that likes a solid 3rd person shooter.

derExperte

Here.
I spent the entire night hating derExperte for his ultra sick Flappy Goat scores, and this hatred made me do this to bother and frustrate everybody else, even those who never played Goat Simulator of even Flappy Birds.

Just went and checked if you managed to beat me.

Crisis averted. But you can do better than THAT, come on!!!

*cuetrainingmontage*

Arthea

War for Cyber - Solid game. Liked story. Never played multi. Co-op with friends.
Fall of Cyber - Good story. No co-op was kind of annoying.
Rise of Dark Spark - useless piece of crap.

Is it? I need Stallion to confirm it.
still haven't bought that one

zkylon

zkylewd
I almost forgot about the Transformers game :) thank you.

yes, it's fucking amazing

it's just a perfect version of the white wolf universe, with great quests and characters and atmosphere. everything about it is amazing with the exception of the shitty weird fps-stealth gameplay but you won't really care.

it's super good, one of my favorites ever

you are doing it wrong, you don't play the Last Remnant for the story, you play it for gameplay, mostly for combat, bosses and partly crafting.
OTOH I can understand people not willing to invest time in learning to play one game.
But Odin Almighty, how you can call this game not creative? That defies reason.
well what was there wasn't enough for me, if the game has a boring ass story it should at least have good dungeon design or something. like it has to compensate a lot cos i like jrpgs to tell me crazy stories i can't see in wrpgs, i need that.

also i didn't say it wasn't creative, i just think there are better things for me

i should really really be strong and get through the early parts of shadow hearts one of these days

that sounds a lot more like my thing

edit: also it's not a time thing. i have thousands of hours in league of legends and fallout and hundreds on many others. i love mount & blade to death. it's not about taking the time with it, it's just that i think that certain things about the game are crap and ruin the whole thing for me

I'll get them, spiders near you, no worries (><)
ok i'll ask you now to drop it or else i won't get much sleep :>

also i'm sad you didn't ask about my other phobias :>

demented

Well, I failed my last exam of uni at last term so I'm losing a year, again...
I quit my uni and transferring to another one, just gonna relax and take today easy sigh.
And I wish it was for some normal reason not them being bunch of !@#$^...

On the upside, summer of gaming and partying here we comeeee

Copons

Just went and checked if you managed to beat me.

Crisis averted. But you can do better than THAT, come on!!!

*cuetrainingmontage*

You don't have anything to worry about.
I'll try it again for sure, but as soon as the achievement notification pops up, I'll probably shut down the pc and throw it out of the window to vent out all the frustration stockpiled while playing Flappy Goat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom