• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Locust

Think everyone should be careful about trading when Steam trade is being wonky.

Bought a Castle Crashers 4-pack and a Can't Stop Laughing bundle during the sale and the bundle is nowhere to be found in my inventory nor does the transaction show on my trade history. The copies I got from opening the 4-pack are still there, it's just the bundle thats missing. Really bizarre and makes me wish there was a parser for trade history that would check if everything traded for is where it should be (not that it would help in this situation because the trade doesn't exist, apparently).

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I didn't think Dead Island could get any uglier. That new game just looks like it has all the settings turned absurdly low rather than being an actual art style.

I think I'm slowly starting to really like RE Revelations. Sure, the shooting is kinda shitty and there's some feedback issues related to the shooting that they really should've done a better job with but I'm enjoying the old school feel. Having to find keys to access areas and there's, like, a weapon box that's not too dissimilar from the item boxes reminds me a lot of the RE games of yore. I'm also digging the weapon customization in the game, where you're exploring for parts and then modifying your weapon with up to 3 different pieces of gear. When you put stopping power on a SMG and watch enemies barely walk forward you really feel like you made a smart choice.

I mean, i wouldn't suggest that it's worth the $50(!) that they were asking for but if you can snag it up at ~$10 you should be ok. It straddles the line between RE pre-RE4 and RE post-RE4 enough where fans of either game should get just enough of what they want and be satisfied.

I think the moba looks worse. I dont get deep silver's push with dead island. Does it really sell that well?

They seem to be taking a throwing-everything-at-the-wall-and-see-what-sticks approach. It reminds me of the Army Men games of a decade or so ago, where it just seemed like it was everywhere but no one really cared.

I didn't think Dead Island could get any uglier. That new game just looks like it has all the settings turned absurdly low rather than being an actual art style.
Yeah, there's something about the screens that look off. Is it the low details or the lack of AA I can't decide.
Surely the final game won't look like that though, right? Right?

These are unclaimed keys from last nights's giveaway.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 35 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Brazen Prototype -- MB-6DFAE3FD964121D5 - Taken by swx
Brazen Prototype #2 -- MB-55D127DE81647044 - Taken by crazyrabbits
Chronicles of a Dark Lord: Episode 1 Tides of Fate -- MB-D169419EAAB7E17D - Taken by Henry Swanson
CT Special Forces: Fire for Effect -- MB-029BD757D088523E - Taken by bluechox2
Dracula: Love Kills -- MB-F762ECAEB02D2C08 - Taken by Lomax
Evopollution #2 -- MB-01651696E8938A5C - Taken by Vlad
Fortix 2 -- MB-9F2BCDBD5335E66A - Taken by trailmix16
Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams -- MB-AF714859CA53931A
Gotham City Impostors: Professional Kit -- MB-CEFA3677549320DE
Guardians of Middle-earth: Smaug's Treasure DLC -- MB-1FD5DF970EBD1DC6 - Taken by Henry Swanson
Gun Monkeys -- MB-51243CB7E3E73AAC - Taken by billmcdougal
Huntsman: The Orphanage -- MB-6954263C3A0F6BB4
Little Farm -- MB-498CA3F4E790966A - Taken by Ventara
Nightsky -- MB-0B054A654E0D5256 - Taken by bluechox2
Oil Rush -- MB-DD9BDAD79F8E00E4 - Taken by zeroOman
Oknytt -- MB-4C8BB64710ABA900 - Taken by Yrael
Pathogen Wars -- MB-44533D2D05A819A5
Radical Roach -- MB-BF8EEB392F0565C0 - Taken by Henry Swanson
Ravensword: Shadowlands -- MB-8D5E6E1238319A99 - Taken by yoshizzle
Serious Sam: The Random Encounter -- MB-ED1702BE08A23E1A - Taken by Fuu
Sherlock Holmes: The Mystery of the Persian Carpet -- MB-B211CAC7D977DAA3
Soulbringer -- MB-6AE5033F99E8B3FF
The Lord of the Rings Online: Steely Dawn Starter Pack -- MB-7F4D9CCE2C13AEE3 - Taken by bluechox2
Ultratron -- MB-F5609F2CA018E5DB - Taken by CrunchyFrog
Zombie Driver HD Soundtrack -- MB-FC2F17277F359545 - Taken by Henry Swanson
Zooloretto -- MB-0D04077AA7B7DF7B - Taken by Gunstarheroes

Man, the empty pictures on some of the games in my librarly are distracting.
Went to steamdb but the images there are small.
Is there a databse for these images?

Jawmuncher

I think I'm slowly starting to really like RE Revelations. Sure, the shooting is kinda shitty and there's some feedback issues related to the shooting that they really should've done a better job with but I'm enjoying the old school feel. Having to find keys to access areas and there's, like, a weapon box that's not too dissimilar from the item boxes reminds me a lot of the RE games of yore. I'm also digging the weapon customization in the game, where you're exploring for parts and then modifying your weapon with up to 3 different pieces of gear. When you put stopping power on a SMG and watch enemies barely walk forward you really feel like you made a smart choice.

I mean, i wouldn't suggest that it's worth the $50(!) that they were asking for but if you can snag it up at ~$10 you should be ok. It straddles the line between RE pre-RE4 and RE post-RE4 enough where fans of either game should get just enough of what they want and be satisfied.

They seem to be taking a throwing-everything-at-the-wall-and-see-what-sticks approach. It reminds me of the Army Men games of a decade or so ago, where it just seemed like it was everywhere but no one really cared.

It really depends. Rev at this point is just as divisive as RE6. I found it a weak attempt trying to be both. I didn't mind the angle but once again the 3DS origins really showed and even having played it on 3DS, it always felt a bit odd as a RE title to me.

Interested about the rumored REV sequel though since that should be HD console developed. Which I think will help a lot in really satisfying both camps.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
So Valve sent me a notice saying my account is being investigated for suspicious activity. Said suspicious activity was buying 63 copies of Super House of Dead Ninjas in the course of a week (gifts, here and elsewhere). Fair enough I suppose, though I wonder why it took them this long to get around to it if such a thing is honestly a concern for them?

Ouch, that sucks. :\ If there's anything I can do to help feel free to ask! Though, I'm not sure what can be done on our side... Perhaps tell Steam you're really not some bot we just programmed to keep buying/gifting the game to others? <:D

Thank you so much for being such a huge supporter of the game by the way. <3

Hugstable

Banned
I think they earned it. The game is really good and this is the first game of this genre I have really enjoyed playing.

Nice definitely earned it. I haven't played it for more than like 2 hours, but I really liked what I played and know I will be back for some more. Good to hear that it's selling well.

It really depends. Rev at this point is just as divisive as RE6. I found it a weak attempt trying to be both. I didn't mind the angle but once again the 3DS origins really showed and even having played it on 3DS, it always felt a bit odd as a RE title to me.

Interested about the rumored REV sequel though since that should be HD console developed. Which I think will help a lot in really satisfying both camps.

I always enjoyed Revelations on the 3DS compared to all the other systems. Something about not having that second analog stick made it a harder game to play and closer to older survival horror games since you didn't have a right stick to aim whenever you want and move.

Jawmuncher

It works, I told another dude how to do it, and it worked perfectly fine for him.

It worked you missed the :D
Double post for life

I always enjoyed Revelations on the 3DS compared to all the other systems. Something about not having that second analog stick made it a harder game to play and closer to older survival horror games since you didn't have a right stick to aim whenever you want and move.

I actually never played the game without the CPP. Since I bought that thing just for REV. But recalling the demo I bet that would help in adding to the games horror side.

It definitely suffers from trying to be the jack of all trades but ends up being master of none but I admire the ambition for a game that started as a portable title. I feel like if you're a HUGE fan of either RE4 and its successors or RE1 and the first 3-4 games that are part of that lineage then, yeah, RER doesn't swing hard enough in either direction to really feel like a true sequel to either type of game. BUT as a fan of the series as a whole (the only mainline game I haven't played is RE6) I'm now starting to thoroughly enjoy it. It does enough for me to keep playing and I'm now having those moments where I'm having a tough time putting the controller down because I just want to at least finish this episode first, which is pretty much a good sign as far as whether a game is really grabbing me or not.

This is the fastest moving thread. I probably missed a bunch of STFU questions... sorry!

Also, if you like GIFs and are interested in Super Time Force Ultra... Capy has created GIFSANITY for you.

A taste:

DinoChompyForevsies.gif
poopdodge.gif
madmax_smash.gif
Squirty_HipThrust_Solo_200percent.gif

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Xelios and JaseC achieved their status via bundle extras. Subs, Dark, Rhaknar, etc tend to buy individual high value games or specific games.
Most of JaseC's giveaways are bundle games. But still, it is an impressive number. My number of giveaways stinks compared to JaseC

I feel compelled to point out that I did two mass-key giveaways that were in no way cheap. Sure, if you break it down to a per-game level the amount is minuscule, but it all adds up. Between the two I spent somewhere around $400, and many times I've bought extra copies of bundles solely to give away as opposed to just handing off spares from a bundle I bought chiefly for my own interest. That all being said, I should note that I didn't buy the bundles just to increase my giveaway count, my status within this community or whatever -- I couldn't care less about such rankings. I'd rather my general posts speak for me as opposed to my giveaways.

Jawmuncher

It definitely suffers from trying to be the jack of all trades but ends up being master of none but I admire the ambition for a game that started as a portable title. I feel like if you're a HUGE fan of either RE4 and its successors or RE1 and the first 3-4 games that are part of that lineage then, yeah, RER doesn't swing hard enough in either direction to really feel like a true sequel to either type of game. BUT as a fan of the series as a whole (the only mainline game I haven't played is RE6) I'm now starting to thoroughly enjoy it. It does enough for me to keep playing and I'm now having those moments where I'm having a tough time putting the controller down because I just want to at least finish this episode first, which is pretty much a good sign as far as whether a game is really grabbing me or not.

I can definitely support that train of thought. If anything I would say people like me who have grown to really like RE6 especially because of the gameplay. look at REV a bit unfairly I suppose. It came out before 6 but the HD game was after. So comparisons can get all over the place.

Hugstable

Banned
This is the fastest moving thread. I probably missed a bunch of STFU questions... sorry!

Also, if you like GIFs and are interested in Super Time Force Ultra... Capy has created GIFSANITY for you.

A taste:

DinoChompyForevsies.gif
poopdodge.gif
madmax_smash.gif

That sprite work is downright amazing! Can't wait til STFU comes out! Great work so far and thanks for actually sharing with us here <3

Nabs

yo, is that a giant poo monster? oh god. he has a piece of toilet paper stuck on him. someone should tell him.

Jawmuncher

I feel compelled to point out that I did two mass-key giveaways that were in no way cheap. Sure, if you break it down to a per-game level the amount is minuscule, but it all adds up. Between the two I spent somewhere around $400, and many times I've bought extra copies of bundles solely to give away as opposed to just handing off spares from a bundle I bought chiefly for my own interest.

Yep. The sheer amount of keys there that has more chances for everyone to win, I knew were in no way cheap.

MisterM

:( What have I done?

I thought I'd craft a badge this morning for Spelunky as it's one of my favourite games of recent times...then I got sucked in and completed the badges for Monaco, Hotline Miami, Octodad and Bit Trip Runner. It's quite addictive.

I think I've started something...

wetflame

Pizza Dog

A taste:

DinoChompyForevsies.gif
poopdodge.gif
madmax_smash.gif

Amazing stuff. Cannot wait! Glad to see you hanging around GAF too, have loved your stuff since I first saw Critter Crunch so it's good to see you guys still going strong.

Arthea

Finally back from my trip, have I missed anything huge?

not worth even asking anymore, this thread moves too fast for anybody to read all of it.
Not that you missed anything vital, except that we now have steam days of countries, if this trend will continue.

not worth even asking anymore, this thread moves too fast for anybody to read all of it.
Not that you missed anything vital, except that we now have steam days of countries, if this trend will continue.
Yeah , the thread moves so fast that I can hardly keep up!

A taste:

DinoChompyForevsies.gif
poopdodge.gif
madmax_smash.gif

Awesome. I actually just beat the final boss late last night. I don't remember the last time I finished a game only to immediately start replaying levels for achievements. Pretty good achievement design, I think.

Copons

A taste:

DinoChompyForevsies.gif
poopdodge.gif
madmax_smash.gif

I... I didn't want it but now I want it please inject all those gif in my veins like right now
also I don't want it anymore because in the buy-it page there's no steam! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom