• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nexen

I bought a brand spanking new 486SX25 to play Ultimate VII. One of my favorite games of all time.

Is Divinity "verbatim" as deep as Ultima VII? Not quite.
Is it the closest game we've gotten in the last ~22 years? Very possible.

Ultima VII still holds the title for most immersive world ever. Really the only places (IMHO) that Divinity falls short are the lack of day/night cycle on NPCs/monsters/environments, and that you can't really make an impact in the world outside of story and reputation. I mean you could like kill a house's owner(s) and "take it over for yourself", but it won't really be acknowledged in the game.. there is no property ownership outside of your homestead and (so far) no titles or anything. Granted I'm only like 15 hours into it.

I mean ultimately to categorize the game as "not as good as U7" you really have to nitpick.. so in that regard, yes... it is really damn good.

ugh, no day/night cycle? Or just that the NPCs don't have schedules?

What? Gothic? Like U7?
gT83EWF.gif

DivinityOS is much closer, from what I've played so far.
Has some stupid irritants, though, like the 0.1second bark repeat time, and some clunky UI choices.
That is why I got into gothic originally. Some magazine told me that it was the 'best world simulation since u7' and went on and on about how people would get upset if you walked into their houses and such.

I can deal with jank. I'll pay full price on the game if it is close enough to a modern ultima though.

Playing X com, was in a mission. They was about to air strike and 8 turns had left, one of my soldiers was behind. Every one was ahead running and near location and last one behind getting hit and hit. 2 hp left one turn about to get to the location and was surrounded by enemies hopefully they didn't hit and successfully got into location. Dem feels, imma about to cry. Never felt this before playing games TT

Newfoundland? That mission can be an utter bitch.
They're coming out of the goddamn fish!

Speevy

Banned
what is that ?

Nintendo's strategy RPG series featuring turn-based combat, permanent death, and objective-based win conditions. Very accessible and mostly known for its entries on handhelds as well as a few console entries. Started out only in Japan.

Mordeccai

I'm not sure if this joke was more funny or less funny before the Sales thread when somebody appeared who had been waiting 7 years for approval.

Somehow I missed that, I'm gonna have to go dig it up haha.

The developer, David Galindo, is a member of NeoGAF his username here is Chubigans. Talking about Chubigans he wrote a post about how CSD did in the Summer Sale.

I knew something like that had to be going on with not one, but two references. I had no idea I bought a gaffer made game, guy deserves my money!

hmm damn.. should I go back to the old drivers? :/
it's working well except for bluetooth and I let the interface to let me set the touchpad to be select, etc :/

---

does Steam compresses screenshots?
I wanna take proper shots of Valiant Hearts (with downsampling, the game looks AMAZING)

tried using GeDoSaTo but it gives me the 4K screenshots instead

I wish that DS3 SCP would adapt to integrate some of the DS4 stuff, but I'm willing to take usability over features. Plus I still use my DS3 for the most part.

Indeed. (Altho that one is self-instantiated, so it's not so bad)
"He was taken before his time." and the whole "The captain tried to slip a love letter to the lizard diplomat's wife" (or something along those lines) conversation at the docks tho... =p

Don't think I've seen it patched since I played it last, and insta-restart barks were still in then. I could be wrong tho.
The charsheet is messy and kinda opaque unless you hover over everything, and using things from your inventory that covers pretty much half the screen by default is a pain.

What's a "bark"?
And yes, there was one of the market sound bytes that had Rhaknar and I about ready to smash something (It was my fault, I was taking forever to barter as I was figuring out how everything worked).

Pachimari

I don't understand this. I bought Call of Duty: Black Ops from GMG and got a refund. But I just tried installing it on my mother's MacBook and I can play it there with no problems (I don't intend to play it on Mac though). I thought they would have blocked it somehow?

So I literally got the game for free? I didn't intend that. =/

It started from, yes.
But then they tweaked a ton of stuff to add in the lightbar controls and touchpad stuff so who knows what's going on there -- I want to say that the newer DS4 "tools" don't require you to replace your BT driver either.

Well the original driver has lightbar controls now too, the touch-pad functions are still lacking though. Interesting on the BT driver however, does DS4Tool also support DS3's alongside DS4's?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I don't understand this. I bought Call of Duty: Black Ops from GMG and got a refund. But I just tried installing it on my mother's MacBook and I can play it there with no problems (I don't intend to play it on Mac though). I thought they would have blocked it somehow?

So I literally got the game for free? I didn't intend that. =/

Only publishers can request key revocations.

Nabs

i tried it checked and unchecked and it doesn't play nice with broforce

The problem is that the game sees your original DS4 (Wireless Controller). Try closing Steam and DS4Tool and launch DS4Tool first (with Hide DS4 checked). I don't use the old DS4Tool anymore, but I think that's a known issue.

Well the original driver has lightbar controls now too, the touch-pad functions are still lacking though. Interesting on the BT driver however, does DS4Tool also support DS3's alongside DS4's?

Last I knew, DS4 tool didn't work for DS3?
And yes, there's lightbar stuff, but in the version I have, it's only basic control and nothing as neat as being able to set the colors and such. It just defaults to red for P1 and green for P2.

Only publishers can request key revocations.

Is this because it's not SteamPlay? I'm assuming Madrista bought CoD:Black Ops for Mac thinking it was SteamPlay, found out it wasn't and he couldn't install the Mac version on his PC then requested a refund?

A bark is basically what you call anything an NPC says (or, extended, sounds they produce) when you're not actively talking to them.

Ah, okay. Gotcha.

wagamer

Reminder:

Fancy a bit of a gamble? Here's a chance to win THE SIMS 3 (Origin key)!

EhzOopu.png

If you win the raffle, it's 50/50 chance for The Sims 3, and the other one is something bad...

So good luck!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Entry #1 -- MB-5A2736C873C642D9
Entry #2 -- MB-D78A661DD7F514B4

t1404411106z1.png

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
ugh, no day/night cycle? Or just that the NPCs don't have schedules?
yes, because of yes.

essentially they didn't want to include a "cosmetic" day/night cycle just for the sake of including it, and the scope of setting up the environment/NPCs/game systems for a proper day/night cycle was a bigger scope than they could handle for release.

there is a day/night engine in the game and used in specific maps/areas as well as usable by mod authors, but in the main game/scenario there is no day/night cycle.

tl;dr they wanted a proper day/night cycle like U7, but couldn't fit it within the scope of release so scrapped it but left the tools in the engine for modders.

And yes, there's lightbar stuff, but in the version I have, it's only basic control and nothing as neat as being able to set the colors and such. It just defaults to red for P1 and green for P2.

Ah that's indeed quite awesome, I would love having a custom color for my DS4! :eek: No DS3 support is a bummer though, I do quite a bit of local multiplayer and have one DS4 and two DS3's so I unfortunately rely on DS3 support :/

Rudakus

This game needs more attention so I will be giving away a few more copies over the next days. Hope that the winners take some time to try it out and post some impressions :)

Wow that game does look interesting. I would have never found it thanks for pointing it out!

iosefe

Ah that's indeed quite awesome, I would love having a custom color for my DS4! :eek: No DS3 support is a bummer though, I do quite a bit of local multiplayer and have one DS4 and two DS3's so I unfortunately rely on DS3 support :/

i believe the original SCP works with both ds3 and ds4, that one at 1.2.something

Turfster

Daily Dead Space 2 75% off
Weekend
  • Crysis 2 Maximum 75% off
  • Broforce 33% off

Suspicious lack of extra weekend deals.
4th of July extras tomorrow?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
DS4Tool (the zip file) does not work with DS3, no.. however the SCPserver.exe is based on Scarlet's SCPserver.exe which DOES work with DS3 and is linked to in my previous post. Basically you need to get your DS3 running in windows with drivers (and appropriate BT stack if wireless), and then use Scarlet's SCPserver.exe as the XInput wrapper.

Want to get your DS3 setup as a 360 controller in Windows?

Want to get your DS4 setup as a 360 controller in Windows?

edit - IMHO if you are desperately wanting to do wireless, use a DS4, not DS3. AFAIK DS3 needs proprietary Toshiba BT stack drivers installed making your dongle not work with other BT devices (similar to Wii/Wii U devices). The DS4 just connects to windows over the native Windows BT stack and shows up as a HID device meaning you can still use your BT connection for other BT devices as well.

Turfster

i haven't noticed any repeating "barks" since the patch a couple days ago.
It's basically voiced unvoiced voiced etc now, but they still almost insta-loop.
Also, the "conversations" at the docked ship still overlap each other. (x249 y-1)

(This probably just annoys me more than most people since a non-overlap and variable long enough wait system for barks was one of the first things I added to my own implementation)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Thanks for the smooth transaction JaseC!
You are truly an asset to this place.

tumblr_ml5p41ng1o1r08o2alw.gif

this because it's not SteamPlay? I'm assuming Madrista bought CoD:Black Ops for Mac thinking it was SteamPlay, found out it wasn't and he couldn't install the Mac version on his PC then requested a refund?

Yeah, GMG mistakenly advertised it as a Windows title also. Understandable considering it's literally the only non-SteamPlay Mac game on Steam.

Sendou

Started playing Transistor

xVyoSl.jpg

Maybe I should have played Bastion first? Oh well, liking it so far!

Bastion doesn't have a similiar battle system. Just stick with it. It will start making sense very soon and quick after that you realize how wonderful it is. Remember to try out a lot of different builds.

Aaron D.

Is there any good chess game on Steam? I remember playing some Chessmaster game years ago and it was actually pretty good (it's not on Steam sadly).

The complete disappearance of the Chessmaster series breaks my damn heart.

The last installment came out in '07 and has since gone out of print. There's no digital version, and trying to hunt down a new or used physical version for under $100 is like trying to spot BigFoot.

It's a crying shame as the tutorial lessons in the last couple Chessmater titles were pure gold. Dozens of hours of fully voiced and interactive lessons on core gameplay concepts and higher levels chess theory, straight from Josh "Searching for Bobby Fischer" Waitzkin himself.

Cumulatively, these lessons were worth hundreds of dollars in real-world chess lessons.

I'm simply baffled that this incredible series was allowed to die on the vine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom