• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is that the game sees your original DS4 (Wireless Controller). Try closing Steam and DS4Tool and launch DS4Tool first (with Hide DS4 checked). I don't use the old DS4Tool anymore, but I think that's a known issue.
Ah ok that fixed. Thanks man, this is the only game where i gotta check that off, no other game i own has that issue

Yaska

Shame that the preorder of Beyond Earth (Civilization) isn't still up, even though they announced the release date and the preorder dlc already :(

I need that game, October can't come soon enough.

nexen

yes, because of yes.

essentially they didn't want to include a "cosmetic" day/night cycle just for the sake of including it, and the scope of setting up the environment/NPCs/game systems for a proper day/night cycle was a bigger scope than they could handle for release.

there is a day/night engine in the game and used in specific maps/areas as well as usable by mod authors, but in the main game/scenario there is no day/night cycle.

tl;dr they wanted a proper day/night cycle like U7, but couldn't fit it within the scope of release so scrapped it but left the tools in the engine for modders.

Thanks for the clarification. disappointing.
Still look forward to buying it, but I'll wait for a deeper discount. Plenty of stuff in my backlog.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
How did your job interview go, jshackles?

Not as well as I had hoped. But sometimes you never know with these kinds of things.

Sounded like the employees knew/liked/were previously familiar with him, but the big cheese types were not familiar with him.

Yep, pretty much this exactly.

Sendou

Haven't had enough of sales already? You sick bastard but more to point The Humble Store will have a "DRM Freedom Sale" for the next two weeks. Featuring Broforce and Teslagrad among other games today.

Caerith

I always wondered how valve went about with the pricing of games. Sucks how he made the same amount of money on a weekly sale at 30% off compared to 12 days at 60% off.

What I wonder about is how Valve decides which games get featured slots in the sales. You see the same games come up as flashes, dailies, options for community votes at the same time as being flashes, etc, while other games are kept off the front page.

Once upon a time, like, in 2011, they featured a lot more games. Dailies, publisher packs, and even a second front page just for indies. More games got more time to shine. Steam's catalogue is a lot bigger now, but there are fewer featured slots and less variety being used to fill them. That image someone mocked up of an entire page of Alan Wake sales isn't too far from the truth.

Turfster

Speaking of sales, Gamefly (UK link US link) is doing an indie-pendence (pause for groan) sale with up to 90% off on 150 indie titles.
Check the DRM before buying, most of these are Steam keys, but not all of them.
20% off coupons: JUL20OFF (10$+), UKJUL20OFF (7£+)

What I wonder about is how Valve decides which games get featured slots in the sales. You see the same games come up as flashes, dailies, options for community votes at the same time as being flashes, etc, while other games are kept off the front page.

Once upon a time, like, in 2011, they featured a lot more games. Dailies, publisher packs, and even a second front page just for indies. More games got more time to shine. Steam's catalogue is a lot bigger now, but there are fewer featured slots and less variety being used to fill them. That image someone mocked up of an entire page of Alan Wake sales isn't too far from the truth.

That Ikaruga and Double Dragon Neon got passed up for sales yet they had Alan Wake appear as a Daily AND a Community vote at the same time was just too damn wrong.

Lomax

The complete disappearance of the Chessmaster series breaks my damn heart.

The last installment came out in '07 and has since gone out of print. There's no digital version, and trying to hunt down a new or used physical version for under $100 is like trying to spot BigFoot.

It's a crying shame as the tutorial lessons in the last couple Chessmater titles were pure gold. Dozens of hours of fully voiced and interactive lessons on core gameplay concepts and higher levels chess theory, straight from Josh "Searching for Bobby Fischer" Waitzkin himself.

Cumulatively, these lessons were worth hundreds of dollars in real-world chess lessons.

I'm simply baffled that this incredible series was allowed to die on the vine.

I saw a copy of Chessmaster 2000 in a flea market on 5 1/4" disks complete with manuals a couple of years ago for $2 and I still regret not buying it purely for nostalgia's sake.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Didn't Dead Space 2 have TAGES at some point? Or a machine activation limit? Was this patched out?

Sky Chief

Original Crysis is the best right? Is Warhead any good?

And how is Dead Space 2? I played the original and I thought it was okay.

yuraya

Just finished up Valiant Hearts. Took 7 hours but oh my what a crazy ride.

The last few hours were

giphy.gif

and that ending

yH6sXRj.gif

Very good game with great presentation and pacing. 9/10

wilflare

Yes.
Go to settings/in-game and tick "save an uncompressed copy".

my heart sank thinking I have been taking screenshots that are compressed...
went to the setting you've mentioned, I've got it checked... -wipes sweats off brow-

and man

Valiant Heart
#demfeels

Caerith

That Ikaruga and Double Dragon Neon got passed up for sales yet they had Alan Wake appear as a Daily AND a Community vote at the same time was just too damn wrong.

Ikaruga at least came up in a Community vote, right? Not saying it excuses the Alan Wake situation, but games like CSD never even had a chance.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Here's some stuff!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Storm: Frontline Nation -- MB-D807D38D5D0593C4
UFO: Extraterrestrials Gold -- MB-4832D879024848BD

t1404418310z1.png

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Thanks for the clarification. disappointing.

like I said, IMHO it's tough to even call it disappointing. It really comes down to nitpicking of the highest order. And to be fair, there are plenty of areas in D:OS that stomp all over Ultima VII, BG2, etc... some from being more modern, but for instance combat and crafting are leagues better than the other games. Combat is probably the best tactical turn based RPG combat. ever.

Like if I were rating U7, BG2 and D:OS on a 10 point scale, they would all get 10 unquestionably. On a 100 point scale (which is silly to begin with) they would probably be all within 3-5 points of each other.

Toki767

Hmm...Broforce got a new update and is 33% off for the weekend deal. Tempted to bite since I skipped it during the sale.

AHA-Lambda

For anyone who wants Broforce, Humble Store has it cheaper! (well for UK at least)

It's only £6 there, mine! ^_^

Original Crysis is the best right? Is Warhead any good?

And how is Dead Space 2? I played the original and I thought it was okay.

Nah, if you only thought the first was ok, I wouldn't bother.

Sky Chief

Yeah Crysis is really fun; I recommend Blackfire's graphic mod, if your PC can handle it.
I haven't tried Warhead so I dunno.

Cool, thanks for the tip. I have a GTX 780 overclocked to 1GHz and an i4770k overclocked to 4.3GHz with 16GB of RAM. Do you think this is powerful enough to handle the mod at 1440p and 60fps?

Phinor

Damn early access games. I bought Broforce pretty much when it became available on Steam, right after testing the beta-whatever-free-build it was, and now I'm just waiting for the game to release. I don't want to spend even a second with any early access game that I know I will enjoy because I want to enjoy the finished product, not get tired of it. I probably have good two dozen early access games waiting for release right now, madness!

Any timetable for Broforce release?

Turfster

And to be fair, there are plenty of areas in D:OS that stomp all over Ultima VII, BG2, etc... some from being more modern, but for instance combat and crafting are leagues better than the other games.
Let's not forget U7 is now over 20 years old and the crafting is still amazing after all that time (RPG:First Bread ;), but yeah, I like Divinity's combat system.
I kinda liked U7's inventory more than D:OS's one. It's weird. Even though it was just random bags with stuff piled into them, they were more easy to read than the square grid D:OS uses.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I *think* the one Steam uploads is still the compressed one, tho.

Yep. You can get around this in a tremendously roundabout way, but it's not really worth the hassle these days -- it's better to just host the uncompressed version elsewhere.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Just wanted to pop in and thank Sub Zero for selling some spare keys to me earlier, was able to pick up Transistor and Walking Dead S2. Winner!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom