• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nexen

like I said, IMHO it's tough to even call it disappointing. It really comes down to nitpicking of the highest order. And to be fair, there are plenty of areas in D:OS that stomp all over Ultima VII, BG2, etc... some from being more modern, but for instance combat and crafting are leagues better than the other games. Combat is probably the best tactical turn based RPG combat. ever.

Like if I were rating U7, BG2 and D:OS on a 10 point scale, they would all get 10 unquestionably. On a 100 point scale (which is silly to begin with) they would probably be all within 3-5 points of each other.

Yeah, I hear you. I wasn't deciding whether I wanted this game or not. I still want it badly and will eventually buy it. I was just deciding whether or not I needed to have this game in my life at this exact moment.

Original Crysis is the best right? Is Warhead any good?

And how is Dead Space 2? I played the original and I thought it was okay.

Dead Space and Dead Space 2 are phenomal.
Dead Space 2 has more action and location variety, but lacks the "isolation" type feel of the first game.
Dead Space 2 is the last game I remember playing that had me tense/stressed enough to feel like I was going to go into cardiac arrest (hardcore mode).

As far as Crysis goes, I seem to be one of the few who doesn't think the original game was anything overly special, at least having played it in the last year or two. Maybe it's like Half-Life/HL2 where they were supposedly amazing when they came out, but however many years later they don't really have the same impressive factors.

I liked Crysis 2 better, I think.

Yeah Crysis is really fun; I recommend Blackfire's graphic mod, if your PC can handle it.
I haven't tried Warhead so I dunno.

I dunno, I didn't think either of the Crysis games I played were that fun... :p

didamangi

If you plan to play Dead Space 2 for the first time, you might want to remove the DLC first if you want to play the game without getting lots of free weapons and armor in the shop. You can ignore them of course, but still.

nexen

Most people seem to like Dead Space 1 better than Dead Space 2.

This is not how I feel.

I loved Dead Space 2. I thought it was a much more imaginative and engaging game. DS1 may be a better survival horror game, but that isn't a genre I hold close to the heart so I didn't mind when they strayed from that formula.

Ozium

Yo SteamGaf, woke up to find out that I won Sword of the Stars: The Pit from aku:jiki, what a pleasant thing to wake up to.. Thanks!

Also woke up to find someone accepted my trade from tf2 outpost for my snack attack and now I have enough ref to buy a key (or should I just hoard metal and become a metal tycoon?)

also new avatar get, thanks to MarcoZombieCannon!

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
If you plan to play Dead Space 2 for the first time, you might want to remove the DLC first if you want to play the game without getting lots of free weapons and armor in the shop. You can ignore them of course, but still.

Man, I remember the first time I saw all that free stuff in the shop....just killed the game mood for me.
Made me instantly wanna go back to Dead Space 1.

Most people seem to like Dead Space 1 better than Dead Space 2.

This is not how I feel.

I loved Dead Space 2. I thought it was a much more imaginative and engaging game. DS1 may be a better survival horror game

Agreed until that part. DS1 did suffer from the same problem as the second one too: the starting weapon is so overpowered there's zero need to sure any other plus it has the goddawful asteroid parts so there's that too.

derExperte

Watching some old Giant Bomb Quick Looks with Ryan Davis that they've put on the front page today. Awwww....

I've been ignoring dead space 2 in the backlog. Does it have anything as rage inducing as the ds1 asteroid mini game?

What do you think of
unkillable
enemies? Because there's
one towards the end.

rrs

Yo SteamGaf, woke up to find out that I won Sword of the Stars: The Pit from aku:jiki, what a pleasant thing to wake up to.. Thanks!

Also woke up to find someone accepted my trade from tf2 outpost for my snack attack and now I have enough ref to buy a key (or should I just hoard metal and become a metal tycoon?)

also new avatar get, thanks to MarcoZombieCannon!

Don't become a metal tycoon you will only lose

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Original Crysis is the best right? Is Warhead any good?

Warhead is basically just "more of the same", which to an extent is a good thing (like many others I'm not overly fond of the aliens).

nexen

Agreed until that part. DS1 did suffer from the same problem as the second one too: the starting weapon is so overpowered there's zero need to sure any other plus it has the goddawful asteroid parts so there's that too.

I honestly have no opinion on which is the better survival horror game because I don't really know the genre well enough.

I'm also pretty forgiving of balance issues in games as long as I still have fun. I loved that little handgun. Thing was fun to use.

Watching some old Giant Bomb Quick Looks with Ryan Davis that they've put on the front page today. Awwww....
oh is that what is going on? thought their server had a misconfigured date or something.

for the people who played broforce, I was playing with shadownet and we kept having an issue where we would accidentally add another player while chatting, how can you remove these players mid game? it was really annoying.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Rogue Legacy is amazing. If you haven't played it, go do it now.

That is all.

SteamGAF's GOTY 2013

Seriously, y'all should play it.

nexen

maaaaan... I hope EA makes a new Dead Space.

No fair you guys get a new Mirror's Edge but I don't get a new Dead Space.

zXDCuRF.jpg

Ok SteamGaf, these are all my recent purchases. I have so many games I am struggling to decide what to play. Its similar to Netflix, too many choices with an indecisive mind.

Does SteamGaf have any recommendation of which I should play through first? Ideally I want to focus my time on 1 or 2 games, rather than a few minutes on all of them.

nexen

I still haven't played DS3.
Was the ending to that a cliffhanger as well?

No, they wrapped it up. You need to do some mental gymnastics to convince yourself that it all makes sense though.

Game just isn't as good as the previous ones though. I can't remember any stand out moments, set pieces, or enemies. Last area was kind of neat, I guess.

Halo 2

Banned
Ok SteamGaf, these are all my recent purchases. I have so many games I am struggling to decide what to play. Its similar to Netflix, too many choices with an indecisive mind.

Does SteamGaf have any recommendation of which I should play through first? Ideally I want to focus my time on 1 or 2 games, rather than a few minutes on all of them.

I'll play battleblock with you when I get home tonight!
I haven't started it yet.

Play blood dragon, its quick to get started and not crazy time consuming.

pahamrick

I vote Shadowrun Returns and XCOM.

Lyn

Banned

I vote The Walking Dead. It really is a wonderful game/story to me, and it really isn't that long overall compared to some others.

Start with short games like Steamworld Dig or FC3: BD. The Fallouts are long games, Risk of Rain has a lot of replayability if it clicks with you.

The Walking Dead is my vote.

Turfster

Marlow Briggs and TWD are pretty short.
The Stanley Parable is really short, but has mulitple paths, so you can play that in between other games.

Hugstable

Banned

Play Witcher 2 if you have never played it before! Such a great game and has multiple paths for multiple playthroughs. Plus it's really fun to play once you get the combat down.

Miker

I played some Dead Space 1 back in the day and I thought it was pretty dull. Going from x part of the ship to y part of the ship and fighting 3-4 dudes in each encounter got boring pretty quickly. It had the survival horror/atmosphere part mostly down (bar the excess ammo), but I don't feel like it escalated at all in the few hours I played. It wanted to be RE4 in space, but didn't have the perfect encounter design of Mikami's game. I can remember the enemy patterns and scenarios from almost every room in RE4, and I can't say the same thing about Dead Space at all.

I hear Dead Space 2 is a lot better, but I don't really feel like spending $5 on it.

Dead Space 2 definitely improves on the gunplay more than the first one. One thing that might irk you is that Isaac Clarke not a silent protagonist anymore. The atmosphere is somewhat the same as the first game. Overall, I did enjoy it more than the first one if you don't think of it as a horror game but more of an action game with jump scares. Though seeing you found the first game average, the game might not be for .

Benedict

Speaking of sales, Gamefly (UK link US link) is doing an indie-pendence (pause for groan) sale with up to 90% off on 150 indie titles.
Check the DRM before buying, most of these are Steam keys, but not all of them.
20% off coupons: JUL20OFF (10$+), UKJUL20OFF (7£+)

Thanks for the info.
Bought:
Banner Saga
Story About My Uncle
Velocity Ultra
Goat Simulator
Lüftrausers
Stick It To The Man.

Nice price with the 20% coupon

Edit: This also means that the chances of these games going on a Humble Bundle in the near future has risen greatly...

Lomax

Seeing Wildstar in there tells me that in spite of having so many great great options, the MMO will end up eating your life in order to justify the purchase and monthly fee
which is why I don't buy MMOs any more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom