• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Oh oh, tell me more.

Here's my full review, all you can eat:

The forest is a rather tough place for young and intrepid animals to be nurtured, grow, and take on the habitat as an adult. Life dictates that not all creatures can make it. Be it an unfortunate accident which takes their lives too soon or a hungry predator selecting them as their prey, the risks of growing in the forest are indeed many. Here we witness a younger bird being picked on by an older hawk, whose talons and beak are capable of doing far more damage than that of the younger bird. The two peck at each other in a song and dance seen and heard all over the animal kingdom. Putting up a valiant fight, the smaller bird is no match for his elder. Soon enough, he meets his end by being impaled against a wall of thorny bushes, his wings fluttering their final flaps. Life in the animal kingdom is hardly fair and, as I've learned, hardly any fun either.

Sense of discovery is something I miss from games, Mirrormoon EP being one of the last examples of games that gave me something that really humbled me and made me feel like I was on a truly new adventure. Secrets of Rætikon manages to capture some of this with the variety of areas it offers and the somewhat sneaky ways they’re hidden from you until you complete a puzzle. Feasting your eyes on the palette of colors used to adorn each of the major areas and searching both foreground and background for telltale signs of the bigger picture at hand is one of Secrets’ greatest rewards. Unfortunately, the road paved to the end is done so with good intentions marred by sub par execution.

i7qzUBGhrvgRF.jpg

If I didn’t know any better, I’d say this is a game about triangles. There are red triangles and silver triangles and blue triangles and big yellow triangles encased in black something or other. Each one of these represents different systems in the game, and almost all of which are annoyingly difficult to obtain. Red restores health, but getting them requires engaging in piss-poor combat or murdering defenseless critters for minuscule recovery. Silver triangles are sacrificed at machines to power them up and give you the plot golden triangles. You need exact numbers of these and if you happen to miss one, it is zero fun searching out the only one you missed in an area. Even the “radar” call system is next to useless to detecting where the missing piece may be. The blue triangles remained unexplained until I had spent about a quarter of my total time with Secrets and as it turns out it is all just leading to giving you one extra life. None of these are replenish-able in nature, making every single step of collecting any of them an utter chore.

Puzzles are yet another area where the game is just ill-equipped to properly let them be any fun. Every puzzle consists of finding chunks of an object, finding the matching object it belongs to and building a replica of it off of the base of the shattered mirror version right across the screen from it. Adding physics into the puzzles goes about as well as one can expect when your protagonist doesn't have opposable thumbs. Or even hands. Dragging the pieces around to the right angle and getting it to slide on just right so that it clicks into place takes way too long and is plagued on occasion by an additional annoyance. In one case, a bird kept attempting to attack me while I put together a statue. I tried to kill it off but the poor combat made this more trouble than it was worth. In the end I just dragged the bird halfway across the stage and left it there so I could finish the puzzle.

ibcj1S4uHlGQ1N.jpg

The entire story is told via a series of stones that you find all around the world. Inscribed on each are sentences of runes that require finding the matching runes to decipher. Cryptic passages and bits of poetry emerge from these rocks as you work your way through them, but I felt like since the letters were just being given to me that it hardly had the reward of something like, say, Fez, where I had to really put in some work to figure out the alphabet.

Going about their daily routines are various species of land-loving and winged animals, some of which are there to be guiding hands towards some of the hidden areas and secret item depositories while others are there to rip you, talon and beak, straight out of the experience. It is satisfying to see the creatures interacting with one another without your involvement. Larger birds attack the nests of smaller birds, taking their young and eggs from nests and cracking them on cliff faces just for the hell of it. Rabbits and Squirrels scamper about and occasionally play around with each other in their own mischievous ways. It’s almost cute and displays some thought put into the wildlife that surrounds you. Until one of them grabs a plot triangle from your claws and sends you on a wild goose chase to get it back.

irb0ex4bYpGy0.jpg

Around the third or fourth time one of these plot items was ripped from my hands and kept away from me by increasingly annoying swarms of bird life, I had to ask myself - do I give enough of a damn about the Secrets of Rætikon to bother continuing with yet another unfun chase which surely will not be the last? After weighing the various control issues, horribly placed puzzle pieces, poorly designed travel paths and awfully implemented combat against the gorgeously colored visuals and joys of flying around in the (what very little) open air, I came to my conclusion.

I’d stopped caring about the game. And I think if you manage to get the player that far, you’ve not done your job quite right.

You guys are not making it easy for me. I only got so many gifts but so many people. It's heartbreaking to pick just a few.

Not sure what the selection process is, but I can't imagine you need me on your list.
Besides, you might be my alt. You're in the US and you have my name... is this real life or is this some twisted version of Memento?

AngerdX

Drawing contests or writing contests are nice and don't really clutter up the thread if you make them PM only. Since it's Gothic horror stuff, maybe writing would be more appropriate here.

Hmm that sounds as a good little idea right there, maybe have ppl send pms to me and I could maybe put the stories together and have steamgaff help vote on the best one just for the fun of it, hopefully we get some creative shortstories to entertain us out of it.

Would there be intrest in somthing like that instead of a outright raffle?

Shadownet

Banned
Not sure what the selection process is, but I can't imagine you need me on your list.
Besides, you might be my alt. You're in the US and you have my name... is this real life or is this some twisted version of Memento?

i shall add you :D some say I'm JaseC alternative account :) lol

The_Monk

Hello my good people, hope you are doing fine. Trying to catch to see if I miss something.

A bit of Topic: after finishing Typing of the Dead yesterday here I was hoping I was going to keep cleaning my Backlog but nope... During the next 3 months I'm going to be in a Governmental Institution to work
for free while having almost no budget :'(
in a project to improve their Communication department in some social causes as well working in this Campaign so my free time just became next to nothing.

Still, I will always squeeze for some Steam-GAF time and also, it's only for a brief period of time.

Chariot

jCiVRs7ZIAwN9.png

ibDaL3Mn1xZlP.gif

Damn, shadownet, how can you keep being so generos? ;___;
You're a great guy and not just because you're gifting stuff like you're a green Santa.

Hello my good people, hope you are doing fine. Trying to catch to see if I miss something.

A bit of Topic: after finishing Typing of the Dead yesterday here I was hoping I was going to keep cleaning my Backlog but nope... During the next 3 months I'm going to be in a Governmental Institution to work
in a project to improve their Communication department in some social causes as well working in this Campaign so my free time just became next to nothing.

Still, I will always squeeze for some Steam-GAF time and also, it's only for a brief period of time.

Good luck with your project Monk.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
oprah-s-bee-give-away-o.gif

Replace "Bees" with "Antichamber"

FloatOn

Tizoc

I only need Cinders from this week's bundle.
How do I make it so the link I get from buying it will display the Gift icon for each game?
Do I tick tat my order is a Gift or not?

And... Sunless Sea crashing on launch issue solved. It's... the Steam Overlay? Second I disabled that it started launching fine again. Huh. Wonder what sort of bug would trigger that.

Momentary

Banned
I just started playing Wolfenstein and realized how this game just destroys Bioshock Infinite in every department. It's definitely the superior game, yet it doesn't get the praise that Bio gets. Whatever. Maybe I have bad tastes.

AngerdX

Okay, I know it's popular to shit on Ubi, but anyone else thinks they've been killing it this year?

I mean, seriously, South Park: The Stick of Truth, Might & Magic X: Legacy, Child of Light, Valiant Hearts: The Great War?

Sure, there's some AAA AssCrud-a-like stuff they release as well, but really, other than maybe Nintendo, no other large company had such a good lineup.

Ubi stepped up their game the last couple of years, if it wasn't for them insisting with uplay I feel they might have gotten a bit less hate.

In Portugal, right? Good luck with your work. You have a way with words here, so I am sure you'll help improve the situation there. And that cause is a very good one.

Caerith

Okay, I know it's popular to shit on Ubi, but anyone else thinks they've been killing it this year?

I mean, seriously, South Park: The Stick of Truth, Might & Magic X: Legacy, Child of Light, Valiant Hearts: The Great War?
Sure, there's some AAA AssCrud-a-like stuff they release as well, but really, other than maybe Nintendo, no other large company had such a good lineup.

Honestly, if Ubi:
  • Got rid of Uplay
  • Stopped (deliberately) shitting up the PC versions of their AAA titles
Then there'd be no reason to dislike them.

Shadownet you are awesome with the gifts. Thanks for Valiant Hearts! I can't wait to try it from all the feedback I've seen on here and especially your gif review you posted last night.

This community has been awesome and welcoming of us newbies. Thanks again everyone!

Baa...

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Goat Simulator -- MB-711F042429523DE4 - Taken by aku:jiki. 29 entrants total.

t1404413447z1.png

---

Ah i found you. and why cant I see your wishlist mister?!?!

Cause I don't have one, sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom