• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudakus

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Tropico 4: Steam Special Edition -- MB-67B6D3689C41E06B - Taken by Enco. 13 entrants total.

t1404187467z1.png

Repost going to bed good luck guys I hope the winner enjoys this game. Long Live El Presidente!

Happy threadaversary!

I got a steam account in November 2007 but basically did nothing with it because I had weak computers. It's only in the last 2 years I've really started using steam.

I tend to lurk threads more than anything + terrible at keeping up. I should bookmark this thread or something so I remember to check in and post, otherwise I'm likely gone again till next sale.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
This is the second time you're pointing out I'm new, lol. Yes, I'm fresh off the boat and like a fat man discovering donuts for the first time, I am loving everything about Steam gaf and completely savoring in all the awesomeness that it is.

I dont mean it in a bad way, its just...cute

Myshkin

I've come up with a new plan for handling Steam sales. I'll take my current wallet and more than double it each sale by buying the sales event trading cards on the first day. I'll just play my backlog until I can buy the whole Steam library all at once. Should take about 5 years.

It's the same plan as Lucille Ball had, scamming a double-your-money back promotion if a company's beans weren't the best you ever ate - and working her way to eventually a new living room suite.

wilflare

hmm I sure hope Steam integrates some form of PS4's Share functionality in the future
I've mapped F12/Screenshot to the Share button on my DS4... but I kinda miss the Share to Twitter option.
Would be nice if I can hold the Share button on my DS4 to record footage/share to Twitch

come on Gaben, #SteamShare

StAidan

For my first post in the post-sale thread, I'm going to award titles to two specific games -- one that I still don't own, and one that I didn't expect to own:

tl4cUCF.jpg

The One That Got Away: The Banner Saga has been near the top of my wishlist since the end of the Winter Sale, and a game that I probably could have justified buying at its 50% off deal, but something just held me back for the time being. I thought I'd be playing it by now, but instead I've started a few other games that are taking up my time. Pretty sure I'll be ready to pull the trigger by this December.

QMjZ3FV.jpg

Surprise Gem: Tomb Raider (2013), despite that I had no plans to ever buy it, has become one of the few AAA games in my 220-strong Steam library. It called to me during the daily deal, and I pulled the trigger without a second thought, then proceeded to jump in with both feet.

Maybe it's just because this is the first game of its kind that I've ever played, but the gritty atmosphere and detailed environments won me over within the first 30 minutes, in spite of the silly QTEs that I've chosen to overlook. My first session took place in a dim room with noise-canceling headphones on, and for a few moments here and there, I was blown away by the experience in a way that few games have accomplished for me. On the whole, it seems like a really solid title from graphics to gameplay and everything in between.

I'm not that far into the game yet, but even now I can tell that Tomb Raider is going to be my go-to title for comfy-couch gaming in the evenings, until I've reached the end. And no one is more surprised than I am.

For my first post in the post-sale thread, I'm going to award titles to two specific games -- one that I still don't own, and one that I didn't expect to own:

tl4cUCF.jpg

The One That Got Away: The Banner Saga has been near the top of my wishlist since the end of the Winter Sale, and a game that I probably could have justified buying at its 50% off deal, but something just held me back for the time being. I thought I'd be playing it by now, but instead I've started a few other games that are taking up my time. Pretty sure I'll be ready to pull the trigger by this December.

I am actually playing this while posting in this thread tonight. I have been enjoying it so far!

Impressions of 8-Bit Commando, which I won from generous GAFer Locust:

header.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/287860

Keep in mind that I am more forgiving of this aesthetic and gameplay style than most would be. With that said, this is a fun game that definitely tickles right nostalgia bones. Gameplay-wise, it's very enjoyable and solid - like a long lost Genesis game (yeah, this is definitely more 16-bit than 8-bit). It wouldn't have been elite even during that time period, but I would have still had a good time with it as a kid. However, it's not without its problems...

For one thing, it's an unoptimized mess. The v-sync issues here are deplorable (and there's no setting for that). It's so juddery and janky. My laptop probably isn't a power gaming machine, but it's pretty good and has run games far more demanding than this with far less issues. As for the options screen, forget about it... Seriously, don't touch a thing, because every setting is broken - even resolution (venturing above 800x600 is a complete waste of time, but I will say it still looks sharp even at that).

I hope the dev can fix the technical issues, because this is a fun trip back to the types of games I enjoyed in my childhood and exactly the kind of experience I want to see more of on Steam. Thanks again, Locust!

Articalys

Damn, how'd this thread get to page 8 already. Jesus.

So yeah, Divinity is fun and it's going to kill sooooo much time.
I don't know what sort of newfangled page numbering system you're using, but this thread's already well through page 16 for me.

hmm I sure hope Steam integrates some form of PS4's Share functionality in the future
I've mapped F12/Screenshot to the Share button on my DS4... but I kinda miss the Share to Twitter option.
Would be nice if I can hold the Share button on my DS4 to record footage/share to Twitch

come on Gaben, #SteamShare

I dont think that will happen. The 360-controller is still the standard controller for like all PC-Games nowadays.

Aaron D.

Let's light the fires and spintires

I didn't know I wanted this. Thanks for offering it!

I'm really enjoying Spintires. I can't get over how gorgeous and responsive the game engine is, esp. when it's wrapped in such as small package (game is under 2 GB). After you see it in motion, you really appreciate the coding under the hood.

Someone upthread mentioned that it's the new Euro Truck and I certainly hope it wins the same crossover casual audience respect that ETS2 has earned. Spintires certainly deserves it.

Super-fantastic game.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Pay it forward. You can only win this game if you've given away a game since you last won a game (minimum one total giveaway).
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Edge -- MB-26A9B90ED20BF6AE - Giveaway over, game taken, but the rule still needs some work.
This is a test of an in-development rule, but the key is real.

t1404184864z1.png

Hopefully this works and doesn't totally crap the system.

Milamber

I'm really enjoying Spintires. I can't get over how gorgeous and responsive the game engine is, esp. when it's wrapped in such as small package (game is under 2 GB). After you see it in motion, you really appreciate the coding under the hood.

Someone upthread mentioned that it's the new Euro Truck and I certainly hope it wins the same crossover casual audience respect that ETS2 has earned. Spintires certainly deserves it.

Super-fantastic game.

Put Spintires mud physics in American Truck Simulator.

GOTY.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Interesting idea, I know I do not fit the requirements to win. Can I help test it? I don't actually want the title and would decline anyway.

Feel free to enter, the key has no real value and I need testers who fail the requirements as much as I need testers who succeed at them. Thanks.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Hopefully this works and doesn't totally crap the system.

- Pay it forward. You can only win this game if you've given away a game since you last won a game (minimum one total giveaway).

That's a pretty good idea. Still could be abused by hoarding bundled games and slowly giving them away, but at least it's another way to stop people from taking game after game without giving any away.

Milamber

That's a pretty good idea. Still could be abused by hoarding bundled games and slowly giving them away, but at least it's another way to stop people from taking game after game without giving any away.

What about us guys who abstain, accumulate a ton of them and ejaculating all our prizes at once?

StAidan

Feel free to enter, the key has no real value and I need testers who fail the requirements as much as I need testers who succeed at them. Thanks.

I entered, I should fail the requirement for now since I won a game a few days ago and haven't given anything since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom