• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the time when you actually play all those games you bought. ;)
vizzini-laughing-o_zps69b3923b.gif

wilflare

Stump really needs to give you a user title after that spectacular feat of giving in the sale thread.

You have already earned your place among the generous, as far as I'm concerned.

It's like those "who's the greatest MC of all time" debates -- "who's the most generous to steamGAF", you ask?

Well now nbnt needs to be considered among the titans known as Sub Zero, Dupy, and Rhaknar (sorry if I forgot any of the other giants).

there are still a number of legends (that no longer frequent I guess)
Xelios is one of them. that man is awesome <3

Turfster

Jesus, Divinity Original Sin.
Please tone down the loop time on NPC barks.
These guys have been repeating the same 4 lines for the last 5 minutes
while I'm talking to another guy, and it's driving me nuts.

Jesus, Divinity Original Sin.
Please tone down the loop time on NPC barks.
These guys have been repeating the same 4 lines for the last 5 minutes
while I'm talking to another guy, and it's driving me nuts.

I hate when games do that. That is probably my biggest pet peeve of gaming.

This thread is moving fast even after the sale is over, hard to keep up. @_@

Thank you, kind sir. :) But no, really, I don't deserve that. Those guys have been giving a lot for a long time. My giveaways were far, far fewer and I probably won't do another big giveaway until I actually get a job. :p

Also, terribly sorry if it's not the right place, but I just wanted to say a few words.

I wanna thank everyone for all the love during the summer sale, all the kind words and the gifts.. You guys made my last week a very happy one with all your kindness.

As for those who were wondering about me, sorry I didn't reply to you in the previous threads, I don't "work for Valve" :p and I'm certainly not a rich guy. As to "why".. well, like all the amazingly generous people here, I just like giving out stuff, it makes happy to see others happy. And GAF.. GAF has been a part of my life since 2008, literally. I laughed with GAF, cried with GAF, watched my favorite show with GAF (LOST, btw). But I wasn't part of GAF until last year, when I finally was able to register. So I just wanted to give something back.

Thank you all for such a wonderful ride.

Thanks a lot for all the gifting nbnt, your generosity knows no bounds. You have a heart of gold, don't let anyone take it from you.

was that canada day sale banner from earlier real?
What Canada day sale? Am I missing something?

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
I didn't post in 2 of the 25 threads and now I'm sad :(

I'm here and not here. Don't mind the offal. (Meaning me)
Changed Sasha Romulan for Dreamworks-smirk-face?

please god, please tell me Toki isnt joking. that would make my day (well, night)
:lol
It's good when things like this keep coming back :p

Reposting since I just found this right before the last thread ended.

They are actively woking on adding Steam Wallet trading.

This dialog is now partially working, where this morning it was not working at all.
This is quite interesting actually, and even if 5% seems like quite a bit I guess the added safety net for trading makes up for it.

We talk about games, but don't actually play them.

We're CliffyB's worst nightmare, basically.
Hah, this is so true.

im sorry... what?

giphy.gif
Yes, Yahoo of all people is going to produce it's sixth season (only 13 eps though), interesting that Hulu wasn't the one to do it.

Now we wait for the next sale.

PI86cGc.jpg
Which is today, there are weeklong deals you know.

I know, right? When all you had to do was look up from your 3DS for 5 seconds to copypaste my daily overviews =p
To be fair, navigating the sales threads is quite the nightmare :(

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=300537

im pretty sure no one on that first page (or even full thread) shows up here anymore

except durante

who the hell is Tony Rocky Horror
Uh, quite a few people on that first page are still posting in the Steam threads...

This is brilliant.

Bought so many games during the Summer Sale. Where do u guys find the time to play all of 'em? ;__;
We have clones that play for us
we actually don't play the games, only idle for cards

Are the Winter Sales longer than the Summer Sales?
Yes, the Winter Sales are generally 2 weeks long.

New thread and a lot of new faces!

Wasn't that cancelled?
Not anymore!
They only need to announce the movie now.

Oh boy. Shouldn't I be able to get a refund from GMG, because it shows the Windows logo as well?

5B3pjJg.png

:(
You could certainly try, but since everything on the page seems to mention Mac only, likely you'll be ignored :/

I don't know what 'on Yahoo' means, but fuck yes
U wot m8
Yahoo, as in the search engine/mail/etc. btw

I didn't buy much, but probably Tomb Raider. It's not very tomb-y, or raidy, but it's pretty well done as a whole.

That said, I haven't really given Shadowrun a fair shake yet. I might change my mind once I get more hours into it.
The new TR is an Uncharted clone with a lady, which shows we have come full circle.

Valian Hearts for 1.65€ (1 key)
I missed that ;_;

SteamGAF is amazing, everyone is amazing.
For some reason as I read this "Everything is awesome!" was playing in my head.

+60% of 0.000000001% is still nothing.
Just saying.
After I got to 30 during the sale I got a GOAT Simulator booster pack, so there.
It had three of the same normal card :(

I've received one and I'm between 10-20. So I should consider myself lucky?
Yes.

Nice OP. A little more than one-third of all my posts on GAF have been in Steam threads. That's... more than I would have guessed. ;)

5% is more than I was hoping for but not a shock. The feature will make it a little easier for those new to trading to get their toes wet, but I think I'll be sticking with PayPal.

I remember reading about the deadline last week and was wondering if the show found a home. Good stuff.
Took me a while to identify the avatar :O
I haven't seen the movie yet D:

Hope it was nothing serious. I can't imagine a world without coffee... :/
I think the physical copies redeem on Steam now? I think I remember someone mentioning it. I should search for a physical copy if true.
Coffee <3
And I mentioned that last month (about CoD4), I couldn't test it but I assume it is possible as the game now properly appears on the redeemable keys page, instead of saying that its keys can't be redeemed.

Perhaps these glasses will help.

tumblr_n7t97x2K791s28vxlo2_500.gif
That is a mesmerizing gif.

Waking up in the morning with no new deals to look forward to makes me feel empty inside
Weeklong deals today, and we'll have a midweek surely.

Shovel Knight looks so good. ;_; I'd get it in a heartbeat if it wasn't 15 dollars. Plus, I wouldn't be able to choose between the 3DS version and the Steam version. Both seem to have their benefits.
What's the difference between the versions?

Aww, he wants 13 keys for SAW. That amounts to around 78 real, while the game is 15 real.

I think I'm gonna skip that one.
15USD you mean? :p
The US price is the same as where I am btw (19.99)

You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave.
*cue Hotel California*

35 yeah.

I think that BLOPS deal on GMG made me freak out. I better go to sleep.

Btw, which is the better mouse for gaming, the SteelSeries Sensei or Rival and why?

I'm gonna head out for a wired mouse when I wake up.
The Build your own pc thread has some great suggestions for gaming mice.

I actually idle in the SteamGAF chat everyday. Seems like a different crowd of people than the ones that post here though. Still a pretty cool group of chatters though.
I think the only times I've gotten into the chat was during GAF downtime XD

Guys.
Guys.
Larian are SteamGAFfers, confirmed.
I just ran into... someone I address as sir shell.

Yeah, I'm not in the Steam GAF group.
I can't keep track of multiple places at once!
wat

(facepalm)

Having never played a Resident Evil game before in my life, RE4 is an eye-opening experience. Granted I've played the Dead Space games before so I'm not entirely lost but RE4 really is something else.
Mind that RE4+ is *quite* different from the older ones, but RE4 at least is brilliant on its own anyway.
Try to play REmake (it's not on PC sadly), it's the best of the classic REs and quite a brilliant game too.

Guys stop posting so fast, it's hard to read the thread! :p
Weaksauce :p

just wait until X05 recaps everything in 1 post, youll be set
Hah, I'm trying!

This is the time when you actually play all those games you bought. ;)
"Play"? Hmm... I'm not familiar with that word...

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is the next sale the Autumn sale?

That's the next large-scale sale, yes. There's a Halloween Sale in October, but as you can infer from the name, only games that fit the theme are discounted, so it's far narrower in scope than its seasonal cousins.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Command & Conquer Red Alert 3 Uprising -- MB-DD820E99DDF72AFF - Taken by Ventara
Medal of Honor -- MB-9EA20DE7CC749B28 - Taken by jiggsaw

Jawmuncher

That's the next large-scale sale, yes. There's a Halloween Sale in October, but as you can infer from the name, only games that fit the theme are discounted, so it's far narrower in scope than its seasonal cousins.

I wonder if Evil Within will be part of that sale.
I think it will be even though it releases that month. Bethesda will probably throw a 10 or 15% on it.

wilflare

QUESTION
- I helped a friend in Germany get a copy of Wolfenstein TNO
- He can't redeem it as Steam says it's locked
- What can he do?

Dambrosi

Banned
Quick, install and play this. steam://run/250600
Lovely graphics in places, but it's 4 minutes of holding the Up Arrow key, then game over. It's the "non-game" taken to its logical conclusion. Deep.

If it had cost money, I'd be pissed off at it, like I was at Dinner Date, even though I didn't pay for that. It's free, though, so the only thing wasted was time.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
What's the difference between the versions?

From what I've read about it, the 3DS version has really good 3D effects, Streetpas, and you can use the touch screen to select items, while the PC version will have a multiplayer mode that the 3DS version won't have.

Jawmuncher

Lovely graphics in places, but it's 4 minutes of holding the Up Arrow key, then game over. It's the "non-game" taken to its logical conclusion. Deep.

If it had cost money, I'd be pissed off at it, like i was at Dinner Date, even though I didn't pay for that. It's free, though, so the only thing wasted was time.

I played Dinner Date actually thinking it was something.
Was mad when I realized it was well known for being a crap art game. That I somehow missed.

dot

Final Slam 2 -- MB-6C0EE37368F5AEB3

Can someone take this please, i beg of you. Ariana is begging too.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Gonna eat a salad because that's all I can afford after the sale

That's not true at all I'm just fat

xBladeM6x

If it had cost money, I'd be pissed off at it, like I was at Dinner Date, even though I didn't pay for that. It's free, though, so the only thing wasted was time.

What was that link?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
As a member of the illustrious posted-in-every-Steam-thread club, here is the first post I ever made from the very first Steam thread:

But at least with the original BG&E we got a 20+ hour experience. Imagine if the game was episodic? We may only have ever gotten to play around 5 hours of the whole game. Even if a second episode were given the go-ahead, if it also bombed then we'd only have roughly half of the same game.

Anyway, I bought SiN this weekend and played about 40 minutes worth of the first episode. I really enjoy the atmosphere so far. There are a few slightly spotty issues, which would have unfortunately been fixed in future episodes, but it was absolutely worth $5.

Man, how the times have changed me. There is nary a mention of choking down rabbit turds or kicking people square in the balls in that post.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
QUESTION
- I helped a friend in Germany get a copy of Wolfenstein TNO
- He can't redeem it as Steam says it's locked
- What can he do?

Oh man. Wolf14 uses OARIC's sister, prohibitrunincountries, which means not only can he not activate the gift, but he also can't run the game without a non-German IP. Activating gifts with a VPN is technically a big no-no, but since the intention here isn't to skirt region-specific pricing, I think there's a good chance Valve wouldn't care. The hassle, assuming he takes the risk, then becomes getting the game to run. He has two options:

If he wants Steamworks features (achievements in this case)
: use a free VPN service that has no session limits, such as Spotflux or TunnelBear (Edit: Oh, and Offline Mode also works, I believe, provided you first sign into Steam with a VPN.)
If he doesn't care about achievements: use the same app id trick that people use to idle for cards

Ruze789

I thought we just stared at them in grid view.

That's about all I've done tonight. And read this thread. Could have been playing something for at least the last hour and a half, but instead I'm visiting the store pages of games in my library.

iosefe

I promise it's not Bad Rats.

It's "The Plan," an interactive art experience thing not unlike Gone Home and Dear Esther.

god damn...

ii'm just gonna spoiler tag my thoughts

at first, i was like. ok. going up. suddenly, Spider web. it was insanely nerve wracking. once i got out of the web,, i was still a bit shaky all the way until the music crescendo'd and i saw the Pillars of Creation. it was so calm, so serene....then i realized there was a source of light above me.

as it all ends, i sit there staring at the white screen with the blinking line. my eyes begin to water and i type:

"a mile to a fly is a meter to us."

definitely an experience

Pachimari

That BLOPS blooper I did still really stings. :(

I asked and explained to them nicely and if they reject my request then that's what it is. I'll surely get over it (and probably impulse buy it on Steam).

But I gotta complete MW1, MW2 and World at War first anyway.

Well looks like I will be posting here from now on too after the amazing sale threads :D I want to thank every single person here who made me read about Astebreed! I like shumps but they aren't my favorite genre or anything close but damn this game is something else... Originally I was skeptical since the graphics and art seemed a bit eh for 20€ but now I kind of regret not giving Edelweiss their full money because of the Steam Sale. Seeing it in motion with 60fps and in 1080p plus hearing the music and the entire prologue... I am blown away, top contender for best game I ever got during a sale :p

Heck if I find the time I'm contemplating to make a OT for it as there seemingly isn't one yet, everyone who said it's the closest thing to Zone of the Enders 3 we ever get was so right. Kojima should freelance hire Edelweiss and give them the resources and the FOX Engine to make ZoE3 however they want on PS4/XBOX/PC and it will be the most glorious thing on earth! :D Alternatively they could take the engine and make Astebreed 2 :p

But yeah I should stop gushing, this game took me by surprise and I'm so glad I listened to SteamGAF :)

Hugstable

Banned
Go away for a walk after Valiant Hearts, miss Shovel Knight giveaway! blaag. I feel like writing a little mini review for here or Steam on Valiant Hearts. It truly was a great experience, and the game itself is a very fun adventure game with lots of puzzles and some cool minigames. I really liked the car chases that went to the rhythm of some classical pieces. Even if you didn't get it during the Great Misprice of 2014, You should keep an eye out for this game, a true classic.

Go away for a walk after Valiant Hearts, miss Shovel Knight giveaway! blaag. I feel like writing a little mini review for here or Steam on Valiant Hearts. It truly was a great experience, and the game itself is a very fun adventure game with lots of puzzles and some cool minigames. I really liked the car chases that went to the rhythm of some classical pieces. Even if you didn't get it during the Great Misprice of 2014, You should keep an eye out for this game, a true classic.

Your post earlier concerning this game has made me VERY interested.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I'm really impressed with Sniper Elite 3 so far. The level design (and scope) and stealth mechanics are significantly improved over V2 and it's DLC. I have managed to play the first 3 of the 8 levels without being seen by a single soldier, something I think is pretty impossible in V2. The manual save ability is also quite welcome in the age of terrible checkpointing.

Also the graphics are good. The tessellation on the main character's head is quite lovely to look at.

Dambrosi

Banned
I played Dinner Date actually thinking it was something.
Was mad when I realized it was well known for being a crap art game. That I somehow missed.
Not to mention that the guy was an awful person. Eww no, I don't want to be this guy's inner voice, he's a dickhead.

What was that link?
It's called The Plan, a free interactive* art installation on Steam.

*In that you hold down one button all the way to the end. So Call Of Duty: Black Ops, then.

Zeliard

I have no idea. Sounds like you have quite a bit of playing to do though.

Looks like there are 44 glorious rat bastard levels. I've beaten 10. So close to a quarter of the way through!

I'll get to it on some lazy Sunday. A very lazy Sunday.

Salsa

my first post on the first Steam thread is apparently about TF2 sync issues

but this is my second one:

Xju4fIP.png

awhyeah

Prepare to be blown away with the music.
Seriously Kirill is so good.

Bow down before your God.

But in all seriousness, Kirill's music is very, very good - exceptional even. I never expected to enjoy it as much as I do, and it's one of the biggest highlights of a very unique series. After all, he's composed for every single Divinity game.

Larian (Divinity's developer) know when they have something good - which must be why Original Sin is so awesome.

Good Lord steam threads move fast.
Just went eating and watching the game and already new thread with a dozen pages. How do you guys keep up?

Anyway, I have to say I enjoyed my introduction to steam(gaf) with the sale very much and plan on making steam ots my gaf-homethread. People are mostly nice and I learned so much in such a short time. Went from buying a 7,50€ game the first day to trading with russians for >3€ for equivalent games by the third day. Having zero library to +60 in a week and lots of friends, not "friends" but real friends.

Didn't find any time among sale and world cup to play at all, but now things cooled off and I already installed couple games, so tomorrow I'll start reaping.

Mount & Blade: Warband is a super awesome game. [...]
I totally recommend it.
Oh, cool. I didn't know much about it but bought the complete edition based on recommendations. The actual swordplay looked nice.

Jawmuncher

Not to mention that the guy was an awful person. Eww no, I don't want to be this guy's inner voice, he's a dickhead.

Yeah he was pretty terrible.
I wrote about it before but it would have been a far more interesting "art' game if perhaps the things you had done while at the table influenced what he actually said or did.

wilflare

Oh man. Wolf14 uses OARIC's sister, prohibitrunincountries, which means not only can he not activate the gift, but he also can't run the game without a non-German IP. Activating gifts with a VPN is technically a big no-no, but since the intention here isn't to skirt region-specific pricing, I think there's a good chance Valve wouldn't care. The hassle, assuming he takes the risk, then becomes getting the game to run. He has two options:

If he wants Steamworks features (achievements in this case)
: use a free VPN service that has no session limits, such as Spotflux or TunnelBear (Edit: Oh, and Offline Mode also works, I believe, provided you first sign into Steam with a VPN.)
If he doesn't care about achievements: use the same app id trick that people use to idle for cards

thanks JaseC - man you are a champ when it comes to the intricacies of Steam ^^
but no matter what, he still need to use a VPN to unlock the game first right? (before he can do either option you suggested)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So, Bulletstorm... not really worth a total playthrough since you see EVERYTHING it does in the first two hours or so. Kinda like...
Titanfall
. The skillshot system isn't really that "deep" since it's basically "leash them into the air and then shoot them. Or kick them and then shoot them. DIFFERENCE! SKILLZ!" :/

The story is "2TryHard4Me" until you meet General Sarrano. Who says some hilarious lines like: "Suck the Tears Off My Dick You ugly Mud-Fuckers." "Weak Bluff, you prancing Geisha." "I'm violently fiddling with my balls in anticipation of your arrival."

Overall: For $5, I don't feel I wasted my money per say for Sarrano. But I kinda do feel the game isn't worth playing when the skillshot system is basically seen fully from the demo (console only now since LOL GfWL LOL for PC) alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom