• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's so good! Glad you liked it. There was a thread telling people to buy it, but it seemed like everybody ignored it. It would be nice to have an Asssstebreed 2 or game of that nature.

I'm glad I'm really not the only one who enjoys it! :D And yeah I saw that thread while looking for a OT and it's sad that it got more or less swept under the rug :/ I will try to see if I can make a proper OT for Astebreed in the coming days though no promises yet, so far I only ever did one OT before and I'm not sure I can do the game justice... And I agree a sequel has to happen in one way or another!

So Stump, what happens if your giveaway contains two conflicting parameters (such as nojuniors and juniorsonly)?

Modbot will explode!
tumblr_mou8y9BxWc1sqwnloo1_500.gif

I don't know what to play..... fucking steam sale. Arkham Origin, Thomas was Alone, Dead Space 3, Gemini Rue, Shadowrun Returns, Chivalry, The Swapper, GAH.

There is a site who uses a randomizer to choose which game you should play, it's called steam roullete or something like that. Other alternative is start to play your games alphabetically like one of my friends is doing, of course it only works if you have a small library.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
who would even use the no-juniors rule anyway?

juniors are
kinda sorta
people too damn it

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Just wondering. If Valve would decide to finally add chinese RMB as a currency, I guess prices here would be rock-bottom too.

How do they determine if I use a VPN (I mean a good, paid one) or just use my normal chinese internetconnection?

A combination of sub activation data and IP logs, presumably. It'd be quite obvious if someone were using a VPN if they usually logged in from the US but one day sported a Russian IP for all of five minutes, in which time they activated a region-locked copy of Wolf14.

:) I just need to get used to how fast this thread moves. I went to watch an episode of COSMOS and helped my mom with something and I came back to a few new pages of posts lol.

It will probably calm down after a few days when the post-summer sale fever eases up.

Myshkin

There is a site who uses a randomizer to choose which game you should play, it's called steam roullete or something like that. Other alternative is start to play your games alphabetically like one of my friends is doing, of course it only works if you have a small library.

I tried Steam roulette, and it told me to play some game on a Mac.

denx

:) I just need to get used to how fast this thread moves. I went to watch an episode of COSMOS and helped my mom with something and I came back to a few new pages of posts lol.

The regular Steam threads have always moved fast but never this fast. More than on other ocassions a big bunch of people have stayed from the Steam Sale thread. Hope it stays that way, always cool to have more people here. :)

So Stump, what happens if your giveaway contains two conflicting parameters (such as nojuniors and juniorsonly)?

well from what I learned in my C++ class, when you code you should always have a way to quit the program in case someone tries to break it, so I'd assume modbot would just tell you to eff off. :p

It's definitely sped up as of late. Don't be surprised to walk away for a few hours and see 20 new pages to read through.

As far as my own personal view on the "give a game, get a game" rule, I've always been the type to give away 10-20 codes in one shot. I'd rather not have to bog down the thread with repeated posts if I choose to enter for a bunch of bundle fodder and win, and/or I want to save my codes for a big giveaway instead of a bunch of smaller ones.

The thread is new so it have some extra steam going partially because of the last sale, it should slowdown a bit soon.

I tried Steam roulette, and it told me to play some game on a Mac.

Time to buy a Mac then if you don't own one already. XD

Arright, take this stuff off my hands, please.
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (MarcoZombieCannon, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Bridge Project -- MB-FC00E2E7E2DD4860 - Taken by Halo 2. 2 entrants total.
Trainz Simulator 12 -- MB-6DA55841ACFA65DC - Taken by Speevy. 1 entrants total.
Wildlife Park 3 -- MB-E2A06B82DED6FDF0 - Taken by JakeD. 2 entrants total.

t1404186552z1.png

A combination of sub activation data and IP logs, presumably. It'd be quite obvious if someone were using a VPN if they usually logged in from the US but one day sported a Russian IP for all of five minutes, in which time they activated a region-locked copy of Wolf14.

Hm...

Right now I am using a lot of IPs. I bought some VPN here in China, which grants me about 30 servers and I am using Korean, HK, Taiwan and japanese IPs and change it all the time, to get the best downloadspeeds for other things besides Steam.
And since Steam is online all the time, this also changes.

Just wondering what would happen then. I mean almost every foreigner here uses a VPN for these things.

Lomax

Hm...

Right now I am using a lot of IPs. I bought some VPN here in China, which grants me about 30 servers and I am using Korean, HK, Taiwan and japanese IPs and change it all the time, to get the best downloadspeeds for other things besides Steam.
And since Steam is online all the time, this also changes.

Just wondering what would happen then. I mean almost every foreigner here uses a VPN for these things.

Unless your account shows a chronic pattern of purchasing abuse you don't have anything to worry about.

MTE

Wow, excellent new thread.
And damn... You blink, and it's already 18 pages deep!
50ppp FTW

I will endeavour to stick around, having uncovered the gem that is SteamGAF during the sale :)

Wow, excellent new thread.
And damn... You blink, and it's already 18 pages deep!
50ppp FTW

I will endeavour to stick around, having uncovered the gem that is SteamGAF during the sale :)
I don't see how it can be hard to find us, I think the thread is basically always on the front page.

In most cases I'd argue that using a VPN to activate a region-locked gift also falls under the umbrella of using a VPN to skirt region-specific pricing, which is why I advise against it. Better safe than sorry and all that. Valve looks the other way with keys and game unlocks because neither affect its bottom line.
They should look away, some region locks are just straight up bullshit! Without VPN, there is way I could buy MGR in Taiwan.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I don't know what to play..... fucking steam sale. Arkham Origin, Thomas was Alone, Dead Space 3, Gemini Rue, Shadowrun Returns, Chivalry, The Swapper, GAH.

Play Shadowrun Returns.

Is my avi less creepy now?
KuGsj.gif

Mokoi

Banned
I knew I recognized her from somewhere! I really like that game, despite being total poop at it.
But Nico is best girl. :p
And I think that we should be careful how the new rule is handled. It could lead to a lot of single bundle-trash giveaways being made to qualify for big giveaways using PIF, lowering the overall quality of giveaways as a result. Plus, there's dirty poors like myself who can't afford to give away games every day, who might get unjustly locked out of PIF raffles. Just saying.

Join the community!
Nico is my least favorite btw ;)
Also you do bring a good point about that. I wouldn't abuse it on big giveaways though.

I'm glad I'm really not the only one who enjoys it! :D And yeah I saw that thread while looking for a OT and it's sad that it got more or less swept under the rug :/ I will try to see if I can make a proper OT for Astebreed in the coming days though no promises yet, so far I only ever did one OT before and I'm not sure I can do the game justice... And I agree a sequel has to happen in one way or another!

Well if you do make one. Best of luck, and you may want to include some visual representation with those awesome webms that were made in the previous thread. I forgot who made them though :(

Just finished Binary Domain. I originally picked it up a year or two ago when gaf was recommending it left right and centre, and now I can see why. Despite it's relatively standard third person shooter mechanics I think it stands out (at least for me) in having well made characters, interesting interactions with team mates, and a story that for the first time in ages motivated me to actually finish a game instead of doing what I normally do and call it quits once the gameplay bores me.

Anyone who has this sitting in their library would do well to install and enjoy this relatively short title. Thanks for the recommendation gaf, now to hit up steamroulette to see what I'll be playing next.

Sarcasm

So I played Divinity Original sin for 1:50:00 and I can say..pretty good experience.

I realized how little I know the terms and I worry about wasting points upon level up heh.

Ventara

Been playing Long Live the Queen and I think I just discovered who I need to sacrifice. Muahahaha!

Btw, pick this up if you're interested; it's good. It's not amazing or anything, and it sometimes feels like there's extra bloat in terms of the choices you can make, but it's still a fun game, and with every playthrough you get a better sense of what's going on and what you should be doing.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I'm playing through the tutorial in half-life for the first time and suddenly "Ace of Base - All That She Wants" starts playing during the underwater section. A google search brings up nothing. At first I thought my iTunes started playing randomly, but the music stops when I pause, and restarts when I unpause, and I checked and my iTunes isn't open, and I haven't listened to Ace of Base in weeks. Tutorial vids on youtube do not show anyone else running into Ace of Base during the underwater part of the tutorial. Is this normal? Did I stumble upon a weird easter egg?

Unicorn

I'm playing through the tutorial in half-life for the first time and suddenly Ace of Base - All That She Wants starts playing during the underwater section. A google search brings up nothing. At first I thought my iTunes started playing randomly, but the music stops when I pause, and restarts when I unpause, and I checked and my iTunes isn't open, and I haven't listened to Ace of Base in weeks. Tutorial vids on youtube do not show anyone else running into Ace of Base during the underwater part of the tutorial. Is this normal? Did I stumble upon a weird easter egg?

Is this a ploy to get everyone to play Half Life again?

I'm playing through the tutorial in half-life for the first time and suddenly Ace of Base - All That She Wants starts playing during the underwater section. A google search brings up nothing. At first I thought my iTunes started playing randomly, but the music stops when I pause, and restarts when I unpause, and I checked and my iTunes isn't open, and I haven't listened to Ace of Base in weeks. Tutorial vids on youtube do not show anyone else running into Ace of Base during the underwater part of the tutorial. Is this normal? Did I stumble upon a weird easter egg?

Obligatory "Half-Life 3 confirmed" joke here

Man, I would pay big bucks for Half-Life: All That She Wants Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom