• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kabouter

HdmmC0W.png

Speevy you're a boss. I was about to preorder this as I was really looking forward to it. Thanks man :)

So now I must do something with the money I was saving for the Gods will be Watching Preorder. I will either
1.Gift something back to Speevy
2.Host another giveaway here

What do you say GAF?

Speevy obviously.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So I'm putting the finishing touches on the next version of Enhanced Steam, unfortunately this update will be for Chrome only for the time being. Hopefully I'll have this version ready for Firefox some time next week.

Despite losing a few features (due to Valve's change in how their API throttles requests) the latest version is the fastest version yet. I've spent the last two weeks optimizing how data is cached in the system, and I think people will be pretty impressed for the most part.
As long as you can look past the features that were lost. :(

Now I have about 20 pages of localization data to sort through - it's really amazing that Enhanced Steam is almost fully translated into every language that Steam supports. Thanks again to everyone who is helping with the translations.

I'll put together some more comprehensive data once I get closer to release, just thought I'd give everyone a heads up.

didamangi

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Virtua Tennis 4 -- MB-CFD22DA0F0ABA99B - Taken by Eanan. 10 entrants total.

t1404424309z1.png

On one hand, it has GFWL. On the other hand, it's a licensed game. Either way, enjoy the game or +1 :)

Jawmuncher

Is Drive worth watching if I absolutely loved Hotline Miami?
Have been wondering since I know it was apparently the inspiration for the game.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
so you're saying I should go bother Stumpokawow? :p LMAO.

Bother an admin for a tag? Just stick your hand in a wasp nest and post about it in OT instead. At least then the tag will be amusing. Gaffers also get tags as punishment, like dovella did or a half funny/punishment tags like Milamber. So annoying an admin isn't advisable.

JustLynx

I'm giving this away. Because Sub Zero is right. I should give raffle sometimes as well. Anyway, before you rush off to thank me. Please dont. thanks Liezryou instead. He's the one that made this possible.

Also, for some of you I spoke with earlier. You're getting something too :)

please only enter if you truly plan on playing Banner Saga

<3

MadGear

Damn, will play Assetto Corsa again when my Xbox One Controller arrives. No point in playing with that annoying wiggle on the left stick.

Well, guess I will start playing Bioshock Infinite next. Any recommendations on the difficulty (as in is hard too hard or is it fair?)

So I'm putting the finishing touches on the next version of Enhanced Steam, unfortunately this update will be for Chrome only for the time being. Hopefully I'll have this version ready for Firefox some time next week.

Despite losing a few features (due to Valve's change in how their API throttles requests) the latest version is the fastest version yet. I've spent the last two weeks optimizing how data is cached in the system, and I think people will be pretty impressed for the most part.

Now I have about 20 pages of localization data to sort through - it's really amazing that Enhanced Steam is almost fully translated into every language that Steam supports. Thanks again to everyone who is helping with the translations.

I'll put together some more comprehensive data once I get closer to release, just thought I'd give everyone a heads up.
Just don't tell us what we lost and we'll be fine, or at least I will.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Just wanting the spread the generosity around a little here, I've been on the receiving end of a great deal of giveaways here in the Steam thread and I've not always been in the best position to give back, I wanted to rectify that somewhat. Here you go, I will PM the winner to arrange gifting!

ModBot said:
I am giving away a game of your choice under $10 USD. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Any game you want under $10 -- MB-CA049E4519E43DCC - Taken by doctorcdcs. 1 entrants total. - Taken by HalfwayOrb. 120 entrants total.

t1404509733z1.png

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Have been wondering since I know it was apparently the inspiration for the game.

yes even if you dont like hotline. but hotline was deffinately inspired by Drive

Aaron D.

oh wow I just realized the joke.
that's pretty crazy. who develops this shit

trainsim.png

There's two angles you can approach this type of DLC from.

1. Premium price for a small, niche core audience. Fewer sales offset by higher price.

2. Discount price with hopes to attract a broader audience. More sales to offset cheaper price.

Railworks simply decided to go with the former instead of the latter. It's no different than other hardcore simulation brands that sell module DLC. Microsoft Flight Simulator and Digital Combat Simulator: World do the exact same thing, charging $40+ dollars for a single airplane or regional map.

For Train Simulator, those DLC packs are expensive, but there's a TON of content in them even though they are single routes. For example, Pacific Surfliner: LA - San Diego is a 130 mile route with unique assets mirroring all the stops between LA & San Diego. It's not shrunk down like ETS2, it's 130 real-world miles of content passing through all the small towns between the two cities.

It may seem odd from the outside. Or like a cash-grab when you total all the DLC together. But there is major effort that goes into coding even a single route, and that DLC collection represents years upon years of development at Railworks. Not "getting it" does not mean the developer is ripping people off. It's simply a platform for enthusiasts to engage in à la carte based on their tastes for particular regions and loco types (steam, electric, diesel).

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

The first half isn't really too violent from what I recall but the second half has some great violent moments.

It's more of a drama thriller with action sequences than it is a straight up action movie.

Indignate

It's very artsy. There's like a indie music video in the middle of it.

Don't expect any story elements on the level of Hotline Miami.

Unicorn

I can't believe there's so many giveaways still going on.

SteamGAF is too damn generous, haha.
kL0JpyQ.jpg

When one of your promotional images contains a spelling error, it makes you wonder about the dialogue in the rest of the game.

There's also a grammatical error (there's).

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Well, that was the worst time to post that, haha. Again, for the new page!

Just wanting the spread the generosity around a little here, I've been on the receiving end of a great deal of giveaways here in the Steam thread and I've not always been in the best position to give back, I wanted to rectify that somewhat. Here you go, I will PM the winner to arrange gifting!

ModBot said:
I am giving away a game of your choice under $10 USD. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Any game you want under $10 -- MB-CA049E4519E43DCC - Taken by doctorcdcs. 1 entrants total. - Taken by HalfwayOrb. 120 entrants total.

t1404509733z1.png

Mokoi

Banned
That usually goes wrong. Look at mine for example...

But that is a awesome tag.

Thanks for the work you put into it. Being able to see how much I spent is the only feature I need.

Shadownet

Banned
WOW.

yGray. I cant believe 33 people entered and the person that won it is one of my best bros. I mean. seriously. I would have given you a copy sooner or later. you should have let someone else won it :p

Jawmuncher

Sure, it's pretty tame compared to Hotline, don't expect an action movie.

It's worth watching even if you didn't like Hotline Miami

yes even if you dont like hotline. but hotline was deffinately inspired by Drive

The first half isn't really too violent from what I recall but the second half has some great violent moments.

It's more of a drama thriller with action sequences than it is a straight up action movie.

I thought Drive was incredibly boring, but you might as well watch it.

It's very artsy. There's like a indie music video in the middle of it.

Don't expect any story elements on the level of Hotline Miami.

No. Drive is a typical Refn movie.

Absolutely!

In fact watch it immediately.

Comments all over the place. Though looks like the positive wins out.
I'll watch it this weekend after the 4th of july.

yGray

Banned
@Jawmuncher
It's absolutely worth watching. It's got a few weird funny moments because Ryan Gosling is a mute real human being
lol you'll get it[/SPOILER

It's soo good though.

I won The Banner Saga! I almost feel bad. If Shadownet wants someone who hasn't won before to get it, I'm 100% ok with that.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Just don't tell us what we lost and we'll be fine, or at least I will.

If I don't say what's missing, I'll get at least a thousand emails from people saying something along the lines of "This used to work, but now it's not working..." Best to just rip off that band-aid.

I didnt know you created Enhanced Steam? :OOO Please be my friend!!

Of course, I'm always happy to add fellow GAFfers
especially those of us who have the best name.

Thanks for the work you put into it. Being able to see how much I spent is the only feature I need.

No worries, that feature is perfectly safe. Most of the changes in the API have to do with how things are highlighted and/or tagged.

All these amazing giveaways and I'm here unemployed and broken, when I find a new job I know what I'm going to do and help with the ongoing generosity of SteamGAF.

yGray

Banned
WOW.

yGray. I cant believe 33 people entered and the person that won it is one of my best bros. I mean. seriously. I would have given you a copy sooner or later. you should have let someone else won it :p

DONE! put it up for raffle again. don't get me the game though. My backlog is too big.

yGray

Banned
If I don't say what's missing, I'll get at least a thousand emails from people saying something along the lines of "This used to work, but now it's not working..." Best to just rip off that band-aid.

Of course, I'm always happy to add fellow GAFfers
especially those of us who have the best name.

No worries, that feature is perfectly safe. Most of the changes in the API have to do with how things are highlighted and/or tagged.
add me too bud. my id is like two pages back on the bottom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom