• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uzzy

I think Shadownet is a fairy godmother.

Speaking of which, I just finished Cinders. Another exceptionally pretty game, I very much enjoyed the story and the branching aspects of it. I'll certainly play through it again and get some different endings.

Salsa

WOW

ocp6CrC.jpg

what can I use this for!!

Hugstable

Banned
LOL

No more janky Motionjoy shenanigans trying to get that to work, then! Yay!

Great! The day I got rid of Motion Joy was honestly so great. No longer having to put up with that stupid program, turning it on and off, having it be glitchy, and still have ads plus possible malware. DS3 and DS4 X Input Wrappers have made everything so easy, basically just plug and play now all the time.

Dr Dogg

What the fuck! I have a couple of weeks away, skip the sale thread madness and come back to find after 3 days the regular Steam thread is close to 9,000 posts already? Yeah something tells me I'm not reading through all that lot in a hurry so any interesting or valuable news of note?

Mores to the point while I've crawled out my hole is I cave to gush over Teslagrad. Only played about 2 hours but I'm really smitten with this game. So what is Teslagrad? Well it's in the tough spot of flitting around a few genres. You could call it a metroidvania or pathfinding game but there's very little combat and so far none that is direct. You could call it a puzzle platformer which is a bit more apt but there's a bit more depth here than say Braid or Limbo. I'm not a fan of pigeon holing anyways but it shares a lot of aspects with what I've mentioned with a somewhat familiar artstyle, very much like european animated film both in style and animations (the walk cycle has me thinking of animated Tintin oddly) coupled with a fitting soundtrack that accordion based jauntiness to piano lead suspense.

So the central puzzle theme so far has been revolving around electricity and magnetism (I'm assuming that's where the Tesla part came from in the title). Electricity (as will pretty much any other hazard) will kill you in one hit but there are various contraptions and such that you can manipulate the polarity to either propel yourself or certain objects like platforms and boxes to traverse the hazards. So far I have also unlocked 2 items to help me on my way, a glove that allows you to magnetise certain objects in either a positive or negative state (handily colour red and blue) and a nifty set of boots that lets me blink about a couple of meters forward and phase through certain thin objects (also handy and used to extend your jump). I've also faced off against a boss that required me to mix up my new found gadgets and there have been a few puzzle sections so far that require a bit more lateral thinking that you're average platformer (plus there are not tutorials outside of a simple diagram where you get your new toy showing what it does, the rest is up to you).

But what's more there also seems to be a strong narrative. The game starts off with a man delivering a child to a house in a bleak city drench in perpetual rain. Some time passes and there appears to be a militant group approaching said house. This is where our character emerges (is he the child that was being delivered shortly before?) whilst a lady watches from an upstairs window. You then proceed to traverse across the cities roof tops escaping guards adorned in red (giving off a non to subtle themed). You get chased in to what appears to be a castle just as the drawbridge is closing which then is the setting for the game proper. The city has a very eastern European feel to it (cold war style propaganda posters and all) but the castle is very varied.

Anywho to save waffling on and mainly because a picture tells a thousand words here's a small glimpse in to what it looks like.

Yikes! that is a lot of pics. Controls are tight but it's a game of trail and error so it's good that there is an easy adjustment period. Apparently there was a few issues at launch but I just plugged in a wired 360 controller and it was fine out the box (though it's a Unity based game so I think there are a few Mac based issues with controllers still).

As a brief first impressions I'd say it you liked Braid, Limbo and the like as have a soft spot for non linear platformers with ability based progression and a sucker for slick animation, art direction and music it might be worth having a look at Teslagrad. Also I have no idea how many other Norwegian games there are at the moment so you'd be doing a good dead for their part in the industry. Plus it's -50% off at the Humble Store right now!

Right back to my cave to slumber until this madhouse calms down.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Teslagrad is so pretty, I need to play it

Reading this thread with people getting expensive games from rich/Russian friends makes me wish I had rich or Russian friends.

Stay classy thread.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Like Nito said earlier, I miss the times when gift begging was a big no no around these parts :/

Did you really spend $709 on that studio maker?

Photoshop, how does it work?

Anteater

What the fuck! I have a couple of weeks away, skip the sale thread madness and come back to find after 3 days the regular Steam thread is close to 9,000 posts already? Yeah something tells me I'm not reading through all that lot in a hurry so any interesting or valuable news of note?

This last sale drove people into madness.

Thanks for the post, the artstyle looks pretty good in that game

Salsa

Like Nito said earlier, I miss the times when gift begging was a big no no around these parts :/

yea it's kinda silly

I posted about the "here's my wishlist wink* wink*" jokes in here and got shit for it but I still think they're kinda.. weird

it's all good tho you're all beautiful

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
My TV was having problems with my PS3, so I messed with the HDMI cable (unplugged it and plugged it again), and now the console doesn't input a video signal anymore. Not even via composite.

Looks like I'll be spending more time on Steam, once again :/

Ezalc

Yeah, my PC's CPU is about 6-7 years old, and my video card's getting on... I only have 4GB of system memory!

Worst of all, I'm going to have a huge tax refund this year, and a new PC would only cost me about $1,500 AUD... Mustn't blow all money without job security...

I think that's basically the same as my pc, though the video card is a bit newer since it broke like last year or so.

A new pc I would like to build would probably cost around 2k dollars. One day I'll get there.

It took me a try or 2 to get it to work. I think I messed around the the Bluetooth driver and Force install checkboxes. Are you trying to use a DS3 or 4?

I have a ds3, and I don't want to use it over blutooth just through the usb port. Also I'm trying that thing about deleting the motion in joy drivers and just got this message for the last one:

Deleting driver package failed: The specified file is not an installed OEM INF.

I have no ideia what to do now.

I want to go on an adding spree from the google doc but I don't want to be accused of trying to get free games, lol.

I know that feel, I just wanted to have more people on my steam friend's list. What's your steamname man?

Pachimari

Oh wow, that Gamefly sale aren't too bad. Just picked up A Story About My Uncle, Postmortem: One Must Die, Stick It to the Man, Stranded, Stealth Bastard Deluxe and The Last Door: Collector's Edition.

My TV was having problems with my PS3, so I messed with the HDMI cable (unplugged it and plugged it again), and now the console doesn't input a video signal anymore. Not even via composite.

Looks like I'll be spending more time on Steam, once again :/

Welcome back :)

Blizzard

Banned
Man that payday 2 shotgun dlc is so tempting, especially since I rock the shotgun already, but I can't even afford a 2 dollar game now, let alone a 5 dollar dlc.

I guess there's always winter seal
I saw this and got confused.

$5 shotgun DLC, not on sale, as the top seller on Steam over ANY other sale or package or game? Is PAYDAY 2's popularity really that high, or are sales on Steam just really low right now?

Mono

OMG, my PS3 controller just works when I plug it in now!! \o/ How in the world did I put up with Motionjoy for so long?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom