• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugstable

Banned
By "everything" you mean... everything? Like, reformatting the console?

I'll try it later on my dad's TV. But I'm afraid I may have burnt something on the PS3 by not turning it off before removing the HDMI cable from the TV and plugging it again.

No it doesn't reformat, just changes resets the HDMI resolution. I have to do it with my PS3 every once in awhile still for some reason, don't really know why. Should work though if I believe you are experiencing the same thing.

MUnited83

For you.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
so I guess I should stop giving? I mean.. I dont want people to fight over stuff. certainly not stealth begging. Just be yourself and be a contributing member to SteamGAF and sooner or later. me or some other giver will notice you and give you something. I mean.. come on guys.... :/

I think you can keep giving games the thing is that people should have better etiquette at handling the gifting. Some might see that and try to take advantage of it as you mentioned earlier many new gaffers adding you hoping for gifts.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
I believe Stump said if the thread reach the limit while far away from the end of the month it could get an OT2 for the month.

The weekly thread theory is coming true.

Visual Novel planetarian is coming to Steam.
http://www.siliconera.com/2014/07/03/visual-arts-kinect-novel-planetarian-coming-steam/
More VN's on Steam the better, now we just need Hatoful Boyfriend, Paca Plus and Steins Gate here to!

Thankfully those two should be on Steam by the end of August. I need Paca Plus. Need it.

Plus it looks like Sekai Project has its hands in this one too. Favorite publisher on Steam confirmed.

Terra_Ex

Anteater

By "everything" you mean... everything? Like, reformatting the console?

I'll try it later on my dad's TV. But I'm afraid I may have burnt something on the PS3 by not turning it off before removing the HDMI cable from the TV and plugging it again.

Just the video signal.

For the HDMI, try powercycle your console and tv (unplug the hdmi cable and shut them down, and also unplugging from power outlet for like 10 seconds), it could be a handshake issue with HDCP

Hugstable

Banned
I'm considering getting a PS4 controller to use for steam games on my PC. How easy is it to get it working?

Pretty easy, even easier than setting the DS3 up honestly. It took me only a few minutes to set up (I forget the link off top right now) and my DS4 runs perfect on my PC. Love having this controller actually work on my PC and getting some good use.

Can we go back discussing M&M's and games?

M&M's hates me now lol. I was winning quite consistently for awhile using 2 phones on some days and I used 3 phones on like 2 days during the sale. Since then though I've been pretty dry in terms of winning. Thankfully my luck ran out after the summer sale.

Vazra

Hmm still more than a week to think about getting Abyss Odyssey

If you dont preorder you´ll miss the 33% discount and the OST.

Dont let La Pincoya down!
Pincoya2.png
KuGsj.gif

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
No it doesn't reformat, just changes resets the HDMI resolution. I have to do it with my PS3 every once in awhile still for some reason, don't really know why. Should work though if I believe you are experiencing the same thing.
I will try that on the other TV, thanks!

At least both the console and TV are still under warranty. If the worst has happened, I hope Sony can fix it. If not, then Gabe will be happy.

So extras from the new humble bundle:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Antichamber -- MB-47C45D3BFBA02D35 - Taken by Accoun
Ballpoint Universe Infinite -- MB-916B7DE7AB2CE52C

t1404443826z1.png

I think that's basically the same as my pc, though the video card is a bit newer since it broke like last year or so.

A new pc I would like to build would probably cost around 2k dollars. One day I'll get there.

I have a ds3, and I don't want to use it over blutooth just through the usb port. Also I'm trying that thing about deleting the motion in joy drivers and just got this message for the last one:

Deleting driver package failed: The specified file is not an installed OEM INF.

I have no ideia what to do now.

I know that feel, I just wanted to have more people on my steam friend's list. What's your steamname man?

Oh if Motioninjoy is still on your PC, that may be causing the issues with your install. Installing to just use the DS3 thru USB shouldn't be difficult.

Salsa

wait

I cant "join" gamefly cause im not in the US but it tells me I can download games fine

k3HJ5Wq.png

but to download games I need to join

...what

Shadownet

Banned
I think you can keep giving games the thing is that people should have better etiquette at handling the gifting. Some might see that and try to take advantage of it as you mentioned earlier many new gaffers adding you hoping for gifts.

I certainly understand that. I always welcome more friends online to play with. but as I said, I only gift to those who have been nice to me or been contributing to SteamGAF and I felt its time you get something.

people shouldnt get upset if you're not getting something, just chill, and enjoy this great community. Sooner or later. everyone on SteamGAF will get something for free. and not even from me. we give away stuff so much. it bound to happen to everyone at least once.

Eanan

so I guess I should stop giving? I mean.. I dont want people to fight over stuff. certainly not stealth begging. Just be yourself and be a contributing member to SteamGAF and sooner or later. me or some other giver will notice you and give you something. I mean.. come on guys.... :/

To be fair, this makes it sound like the people, including myself, who were not gifted anything by you, are not contributing members to the thread or are not "ourselves".

Which is obviously not the case for myself and many users in this thread. Some of the posts people have made are correct; these gifting sprees make many of the people who didn't get anything feel inadequate and wondering why they didn't get anything, then we get begging etc. Jealousy sets in then and we get tension and sniping.

With people posting these pictures of all these great games they're receiving, its obviously going to create tension from the people who didn't get anything. Jealousy is a very hard emotion for a human to control.

Dont get me wrong, your a very generous guy for giving away all those games, but you surely can see what I mean. Im not berating you or anything also.

But enough about this gifting stuff, its detracting from these usually great steam threads.

Anyway, many people here play DayZ? Is it true that its basically shoot on sight between human players in that game now, and if you play alone, you wont last very long at all.

nexen

Hey guys. I have great taste. Almost every game I bought during the sale is wildly entertaining. You should all listen to me more often.

AngerdX

I came for the sales but stayed for the great atmosphere and ppl, mostly cause i´ve had trouble getting good ppl to play co-op and mp games with as most of my real life friends don´t game as much any longer.

Vazra

I certainly understand that. I always welcome more friends online to play with. but as I said, I only gift to those who have been nice to me or been contributing to SteamGAF and I felt its time you get something.

people shouldnt get upset if you're not getting something, just chill, and enjoy this great community. Sooner or later. everyone on SteamGAF will get something for free. and not even from me. we give away stuff so much. it bound to happen to everyone at least once.

SteamGaf is always giving away games. If people give games outside of ModBot is their money and their decision and certainly straight to the point when you actually want to give games directly to people you like. Its not a hard concept to catch tbh. Also there might be remnants of the casual summer sale people hanging around still which might eventually leave the thread and go back to normal. I remember something like this happened either on Winter Sale last year or Summer Sale.

is she naked?

She is.

yGray

Banned
I have some 1 month XBL codes. Should I give them away through Modbot here? Is that weird cause this is the steam thread?

EdmondD

Thanks. I wanted to leave you guys behind, but it seems like that's not meant to happen :(

I jest, I love you all!

Sorry, I thought I could become part of the console crowd too. But problems with the new TV, and now the new PS3 (apparently) are making that impossible. I hope I didn't fry anything (I stupidly removed the HDMI cable with the console and TV on), but knowing my luck that's probably what happened, lol
You have another HDMI cable you can hook up to you PS3? Maybe that might work. Yeah, you should always turn off your stuff before you remove the cable. My brother sometimes just yanks the cable without turning stuff off and it makes me wince every time. Maybe try to hook it up to another TV to see if the TV is the issue.

Got around to playing another one of my gifts. Thanks again, by the way, but here we go:

Redshirt impressions:

I thought this game was a sort of spaceship simulation where you hire crew using a Facebook type application in order to get a team to perform tasks. But nope. Holy hell, it's a LIFE SIM! You just control yourself. You're on a space station, you build friendships with people (usually through co-workers and your first default friend,) and you build skills through your job, items and events.

Pros:
The humour isn't cringeworthy. It's kinda silly, some obvious references to other sci-fi shows, but it could have been a lot worse. For a game that focuses on humour, that's a pro.
Life sims are sorely underdone on Steam, and this one isn't a bad example. This game is similar to Long Live the Queen, only on a space station. It's not as good as LLTQ, but that's a high bar. The closest life sim to this one I can think of is Kudos, and this was way better than Kudos.
The graphics are cartoonish and overall not bad.
There are several ways to complete your objective, but I won't spoil what that is or how you can do it. The game also seems to encourage skipping steps: I went from a rank 3 job to a rank 6 job by getting in a relationship with the hiring manager, thus making it a lot easier to get the job - you need only one skill requirement whereas before you'd need three.
Away missions are awesome: the only purpose they seem to serve is having crew members die (hence Redshirt?) and even though you might lose a lover or several friends, and lose happiness as a result, you get insane money to buy various perks.

Cons:
Busy friends are the bane of your existence. If you get in a relationship, you have to interact with them every day or risk breaking up. You can go on events with them, but if they're busy your interaction is limited to messaging them on Spacebook. They leave angry or passive-aggressive messages like "Why don't you ever want to do anything romantic with me? We might as well just be friends." Then you try to arrange something romantic, only to find they're busy - going to the bar alone. What the fuck, bitch? You want to do shit, clear your schedule!
Worse yet is if you invite several people to an event, other friends will get jealous that they weren't invited. You'll even see "Even though friend X was busy, they would have liked to be invited." Inviting a busy friend, in my experience, works 0% of the time and reduces your happiness because they didn't show up. You can't win either way.
The "aspirations" idea is pretty good - it sets short-term goals for decent bonuses. The only problem is they'll give you aspirations that make no sense. If you're in a rank 6 job, they might give you an aspiration to get a rank 4 job, or get mastery in a rank 5 job.
It can get a bit repetitive, but that's a lot of life sims for you. I finished my first playthrough in about 7 1/2 hours.

Overall, if you liked LLTQ and are looking into more of the same, this isn't a bad choice. Is it worth the full price? Not in my opinion, no. But on sale? I'd say go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom