• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speevy

Banned
Nah it just gets a bit annoying when there are so many posts about gifts. Giveaways are fine imo, but the personal gifts should be just that, personal (and kept in PMs)

That creates the perception that there is a sanctioned type of gift, and another type of gift which is discouraged.

I will not be a part of that.

To block in MGR:R, you just press toward and light attack (main, so X on a 360 controller).
If you time it in a small window at the last moment before you get hit, Raiden will parry/counter the last move.

I just made this webm that I will edit in for you.
It's on Revengeance difficulty and I dropped off pretty much anything you wouldn't have, weapon wise, at that point in your first playthrough -- I used the regular old HF blade. I have white armor on and the white wig for looks, mostly, as nothing I do in the webm is abusing the infinite power cells the wig grants.

It's all about timing... seriously. And notice how the bastard manages to call the cow even though he's at 0.0% health. Talk about hacking... maybe I should get Bladewolf to take a shot at hacking modbot for me. If I had the full power Muramasa blade on, that fucker would've went down in one hit... but that would've been to fast for me to teach anything, I think. :p

Sorry it took a little bit. I'm rusty after having 100%'ed the game back in January and then haven't booted it since trying to clear out my backlog... I forgot how much I love this game. There's no doubt it will be in my top 10 again this year (though games that are new to me like Killer is Dead and Dark Souls 2 will probably outrank it)...

didamangi

All the earlier Witcher 3 talk... lol
I still remember when Witcher 2 first came out, there was no Steam version.
It was the first game I preordered and I did it on GOG to support the devs.

(It did feel kinda painful that the price dropped rather quickly once it hit Steam) lol

Preordered Witcher 2 on GOG as well. Don't forget the free GOG version for Steam buyers but not the other way around. I understand why they did it but still.

I learned my lesson this time, though. Steam version all the way for W3.
(That and it's $16 cheap)

MUnited83

For you.
The problem is with the people posting screenshots of the gifts. It was fine for a while, especially during the summer sale threads, but now a lot of people are ether getting jealous and making backhanded posts hinting that they want gifts too or are now complaining about it like some of the last few pages.

Keep gifting to people, it's fine and generous. It's not the problem here.

Seems to me that the problem are those people. Not him or the people posting screenshots.

Salsa

people complaining about what happens "in the thread" in general is just weird to me

I mean I pile up on the "no lists" joke cause it's fun

but come the fuck on

thread is a mess, and we like it as is. Sometimes it steers into some good game recommendation/helpful info/questions/what have you but the only reason this thread moves at the pace it does is because people basically keep it alive as a chat room/community

and I like that, it's just fun, as messy as it is

apparently mods are fine with it too since we're not on community yet. It's cool to complain about NSFW and whathaveyou but lets not pretend this thread is some sort of beacon for legit useful steam talk 24/7. It's, for the most part, just people having fun

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Yup, unless you learn how to parry, you can't really beat the game. Maybe on easy, but definitely not on hard.
Not really. I could only parry once or twice in the whole game, and I beat it on Hard. I did manage to learn how to block, but the timing for parrying was impossible.

I also didn't learn how to be good at blade mode, which made beating a certain boss fight a matter of luck (I killed him with a few health points left and no rations), as I couldn't attack him the "right" way. And there was another boss I also don't know how I killed, because it seemed I only damaged him at random.

Looking back, I have no idea how I finished that game, lol. I should try the DLC and VR missions someday.

Beelzebubs

Seems to me that the problem are those people. Not him or the people posting screenshots.

I think it's just the large influx of new members, myself included into the Steam topic. It is a bit overwhelming admittedly. Never seen it so busy before when I used to skim the old topics which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

wilflare

Well, it's 10€ on the Steam store, so...
140 by itself is 5€, so you really can't go wrong with the BTA price for both.
(Also, Cinders is rather good, if you haven't played it before)

Anyway, time to get to bed.
Don't let me wake up to a post-apocalyptic wasteland, guys.

I'll go ahead and install Cinders.. hopefully I can downsample it too
Valiant Hearts downsampled (Thanks Shadownet!) is GORGEOUS :D

hmmm.... got Cinders from some GamesRage bundle

Anyway, I walked into the Armstrong fight with no nanopaste whatsoever. I'm boned.

Awesome and challenging boss fight.

MR70AFm.jpg

Tenrius

i'm finally back from driving a lot and catching concerts with hipsters, how's steam life been?

"It's raining, mud is everywhere on the wings of owls and the jowls of stray dogs. Borrowing shelter with other mammals and then waking up late, damp and cold. Waiting for the bus with other mammals."

To block in MGR:R, you just press toward and light attack (main, so X on a 360 controller).
If you time it in a small window at the last moment before you get hit, Raiden will parry/counter the last move.

It's on Revengeance difficulty and I dropped off pretty much anything you wouldn't have, weapon wise, at that point in your first playthrough -- I used the regular old HF blade. I have white armor on and the white wig for looks, mostly, as nothing I do in the webm is abusing the infinite power cells the wig grants.

It's all about timing... seriously. And notice how the bastard manages to call the cow even though he's at 0.0% health. Talk about hacking... maybe I should get Bladewolf to take a shot at hacking modbot for me. If I had the full power Muramasa blade on, that fucker would've went down in one hit... but that would've been to fast for me to teach anything, I think. :p

Sorry it took a little bit. I'm rusty after having 100%'ed the game back in January and then haven't booted it since trying to clear out my backlog... I forgot how much I love this game. There's no doubt it will be in my top 10 again this year (though games that are new to me like Killer is Dead and Dark Souls 2 will probably outrank it)...

Could you link me to your method of making webm's? The ones you post always look great and I'd like to start making some myself.

Hugstable

Banned
Is the Humble bundle worth the BTA price if I only need to get this Secrets of Rætikon + Artbook (and 140?)

I think I got the rest from previous bundles, etc

---

All the earlier Witcher 3 talk... lol
I still remember when Witcher 2 first came out, there was no Steam version.
It was the first game I preordered and I did it on GOG to support the devs.

(It did feel kinda painful that the price dropped rather quickly once it hit Steam) lol

I'm really hoping Witcher 3 follows suit with how Witcher 2 did it's story, even though 3 is going open world. I just liked the decision that they gave you in Chapter 1 as it effectively turns the Witcher 2 into a game where a second replay will actually be different for a good maybe 40% of the game, story and area. Just alot of the decision making and how it affected the world around you was amazing, and I'm hoping none of that gets lost with the huge open enviroments, because Witcher 2 itself didn't have huge sprawling enviroments, but I still enjoyed what was there.

wilflare

Preordered Witcher 2 on GOG as well. Don't forget the free GOG version for Steam buyers but not the other way around. I understand why they did it but still.

I learned my lesson this time, though. Steam version all the way for W3.
(That and it's $16 cheap)

lol I was seriously hoping that gave the GOG buyers a Steam key but nope.
clocked my gametime on the GOG version but man the GOG bundle was pretty amazing with all the soundtracks, DLCs and etc.

I should get back to it soon. I think I got stuck at the King Slayer (or whatever the actual term for it was)

UncleBiz

i can't, my sink's super clogged and basically as i understand it if i turn on the water pipes will explode

so like crumbs i think will also lead to explosion scenario

man this is why you should have ordered pizza. food and a plate at the same time.

Please help me SteamGAF! I have 2€ to spare and would like a anime-ish profile background but nothing I found so far appeals me really :( Either they are waay too obnoxious ecchi or plain black ones with a character on them :/

Beelzebubs

clocked my gametime on the GOG version but man the GOG bundle was pretty amazing with all the soundtracks, DLCs and etc.

I should get back to it soon. I think I got stuck at the King Slayer (or whatever the actual term for it was)

That would be so horribly abused XD

Could you link me to your method of making webm's? The ones you post always look great and I'd like to start making some myself.

Anteater put this up in here before:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=107330048&postcount=1471

I use that guy's create webm batch file with ffmpeg on my shadowplay mp4 footage.
The create gif script seems useless to me, so don't bother with that -- use gifcam instead on your webm or mp4 file.

So:
1. Record with shadowplay
2. Watch video to find timestamps for begin/end
3. Create webm using linked script with timestamps for beginning and end, use defaults for the rest of the values
4. Upload to a host like pomf.se

--

Here you go Fracas:
http://a.pomf.se/koslkn.webm

Not how the first 4 attack or so, I'm early, so Raiden blocks the attacks.
On the 5th attack, I shake off a bit of the rust and nail it... and from there, it's pretty much over.

Trejik

people complaining about what happens "in the thread" in general is just weird to me

I mean I pile up on the "no lists" joke cause it's fun

but come the fuck on

thread is a mess, and we like it as is. Sometimes it steers into some good game recommendation/helpful info/questions/what have you but the only reason this thread moves at the pace it does is because people basically keep it alive as a chat room/community

and I like that, it's just fun, as messy as it is

apparently mods are fine with it too since we're not on community yet. It's cool to complain about NSFW and whathaveyou but lets not pretend this thread is some sort of beacon for legit useful steam talk 24/7. It's, for the most part, just people having fun

This is basically why this is the only GAF community I regularly post on and keep track of, and ever have after 4 years of lurking. This place is magic within it's chaos.

denx

My parrying is still a little sloppy, but I mostly got it down. Armstrong still beats the crap out of me tho, mostly because of the fucking lava fountains he creates. And when I get him to 160 health or below, I'm screwed when I have to cut the debris he throws at me since the time window to slice it is so ridiculously small. But maybe that's down to the fact that I haven't upgraded Blade Mode much at all.

Hugstable

Banned
Please help me SteamGAF! I have 2€ to spare and would like a anime-ish profile background but nothing I found so far appeals me really :( Either they are waay too obnoxious ecchi or plain black ones with a character on them :/

Is there any backgrounds for Astebreed or Long Live the Queen? I'm pretty sure Astebreed has background.

EDIT: LOL wtf one of these background is 22$ Who in the hell pays 22$ for a steam profile background!?!?!

MUnited83

For you.
Nah it just gets a bit annoying when there are so many posts about gifts. Giveaways are fine imo, but the personal gifts should be just that, personal (and kept in PMs for the most part)

Do you prefer Saoirse Ronan gifs then? SteamGaf has been this way for quite a bit of time, and many times we end up talking about stuff that hasn't even anything to do with Steam. It's basically a chat room. And I love it this way.

As Salsa said, the thread is a mess. And we like it that way.

~Kinggi~

Banned
You know what sucks so much. Is recently i bought Black Mirror on steam. 9.99. No extras, and the game is broken (crashes at specific areas cause of corrupt files)

GOG just released it today, its 7.99, and it has a ton of extras, and since its broken i could have gotten my money back. Im tempted to just use gog more often.

Anteater put this up in here before:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=107330048&postcount=1471

I use that guy's create webm batch file with ffmpeg on my shadowplay mp4 footage.
The create gif script seems useless to me, so don't bother with that -- use gifcam instead on your webm or mp4 file.

So:
1. Record with shadowplay
2. Watch video to find timestamps for begin/end
3. Create webm using linked script with timestamps for beginning and end, use defaults for the rest of the values
4. Upload to a host like pomf.se

Awesome, that seems real simple, thanks!

Fracas

#fuckonami
You'll still want to watch -- blocking and parrying are at the very core of the game (and are a main reason some people don't share the love).

It's rendering now -- the clip was 2:37, so hopefully it'll be done and uploaded soon.

I'll definitely check it out. I've got the basic part down - only got a hit a couple times in my last attempt

didamangi

The extras were the catch for me as well but remember that steam users got it all for free as well in the end (well, minus the free game but who cares about that)

I finished it with the Roche path because he's such a bro. Probably gonna try the Iorveth path before Witcher 3 is released.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom