• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
$60 just for a background? You get these randomly by crafting the badges for the game, right?

Yep. Though obviously getting a rare one like that is...well, rare. I think your chances might go up when you craft higher level badges, but I'm not sure on that.

Still, can't say I haven't thought about getting a game or two with those stupidly expensive rare backgrounds just to craft the badge and hope I get one of them. :lol

That's some damn good parrying, I'm trying to beat all the bosses in MGR:R without getting hit once and so far I've done everything up to Monsoon, so I should probably learn to parry like that, I imagine it'll make my life a bit easier.

Monsoon is a bitch.
One of the hardest to no damage, IMO.
You need to absolutely maximize damage on him and having his weapon makes it a bit more manageable... but unless you get lucky, at least in my experience, you'll have to deal with the avoiding the 6-8 projectiles and that's one of the hardest parts to not get nicked during.

For the most part, parrying him doesn't do a lot of good. On Sam, it works wonders though. :)

liezryou

I'm not really into sports games, so I'd go with Divinity.
I have not played either.

WTF no fifa? Shame on you.

Divinity looks more fun.

You sir, have obviously never played/seen cricket. It's fucking EXHILARATING.

Divinity would certainly get a lot more interest so I would suggest it. Cricket is cricket after all :p

That's the one I'm leaning towards
because it's cheaper

Ask yourself. What would Bradman do?

32hoon0.jpg

Hey, you can take that implied insult about his face and shove it up his face. Don bradman was a cricket legend, A LEGEND!

I picked up Don Bradman Cricket 14 and it is really fun even for me who has such a little understanding of cricket. So I say get the only good cricket game in years and it could be a while for another one.

Ok i mean this in the nicest way possible but, Why in the flying fuck would you buy a fucking cricket game if you don't have a severe interest in the sport?

Mono

The Wolf Among Us seems to be significantly shorter than Walking Dead.

I haven't finished The Walking Dead yet, but with the four episodes of The Wolf Among Us out, it took me about 7 hours to complete and 9 hours to go back and get all of the fable entries.

Pretty good for it's $10 sale price; I love it!

Testing out a webm.

thhpjb.webm

Yeah, use URL instead of IMG... you can't embed at GAF.

But other than that, it works.

I haven't finished The Walking Dead yet, but with the four episodes of The Wolf Among Us out, it took me about 7 hours to complete and 9 hours to go back and get all of the fable entries.

Pretty good for it's $10 sale price; I love it!

Potential spoiler (but not for Mono, since he's done with eps 1-4): http://abload.de/img/staydown.gifjekw4.gif

Next episode should be out in a week.

Eh, once again I say: that's the whiners fault, not the gifted or the gifter. Those kind of attitudes are quite frankly disgusting. Even more so if someone really thinks that they need to be gifted to consider themselves part of this community. Feeling left out because of not receiving a darn gift. Are those people 12 or something?

/sigh
Yeah, people need to learn to chill.

You. Are. Fucking. Incredible.

Seriously.
Seriously!

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Eh, once again I say: that's the whiners fault, not the gifted or the gifter. Those kind of attitudes are quite frankly disgusting. Even more so if someone really thinks that they need to be gifted to consider themselves part of this community. Feeling left out because of not receiving a darn gift. Are those people 12 or something?

/sigh

The whiners are definitely part of the problem. I honestly don't understand why anyone would feel like they aren't a part of the community because they didn't get a gift, stick around long enough and someone will give you Bad Rats.

Really though, the thing about SteamGaf is that it actually feels like a community that welcomes pretty much everyone as long as they aren't complete assholes to other members constantly, or continually abuse giveaways. Even if you don't get gifts, you're still part of the group.

Hey, you can take that implied insult about his face and shove it up his face. Don bradman was a cricket legend, A LEGEND!

It was supposed to make you buy the game :p

Monsoon is a bitch.
One of the hardest to no damage, IMO.
You need to absolutely maximize damage on him and having his weapon makes it a bit more manageable... but unless you get lucky, at least in my experience, you'll have to deal with the avoiding the 6-8 projectiles and that's one of the hardest parts to not get nicked during.

For the most part, parrying him doesn't do a lot of good. On Sam, it works wonders though. :)

I no damaged Monsoon once. I was totally in the zone, and when the music kicked in it was awesome. But that was luck, I guess. It took me almost 2 hours to beat Sam later on.

liezryou

Divinity's not my thing. But also my thoughts on cricket most resemble the cricket scene in the masterpiece of cinema King Ralph. So out of those two above, I would recommend Shovel Knight.
zach-galifianakis-faceshove.gif

definitely Original Sin bro. :)
Duly noted, adding to the GAF hype.

You know what you need to do.
Oh god that pic makes me want to buy that game so hard. SO FUCKING HARD.

Fuck you guys just make me more confused.

MUnited83

For you.
Be careful. This is why the Rock Band mega thread was eventually (rightfully) closed. If an OT eventually just becomes an insular private "off topic" unto itself it really doesn't serve its purpose anymore and the mods shut it down.

On that topic that's kind if the annoyance with the public gifting. It comes off as "clique"-y to those not getting gifts and people can say "just blow it off" buy how can it not be haves and have-nots in that case?

OT threads should be about welcoming in and including people getting turned on to this for the first time.

Anywho whatever. I just started recently for the sales and hidden gems as I am getting back into PC gaming. But yeah the threads have turned into pages and pages of gifting and "pay what you want bundle" megagiver spamming.
At the right times relevant things are posted and discussed, as the release of good new games, if a new indie bundles is on, various deals, etc. Of course it will go to off-topic many times because there's only so much talk you can have about Steam. I also would say that this a OT thread that does a pretty good job at welcoming in and including people. IMO anyways.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

UFO Extraterrestrials Gold -- MB-510F72CCE3D06498 - Taken by HalfwayOrb. 1 entrants total.
Antichamber -- MB-1BFBDAA7E35AB567 - Taken by Kuroyume. 1 entrants total.
Puzzle Kingdoms -- MB-10B8E298341EC3C6 - Taken by someguyinahat. 2 entrants total.

t1404439431z1.png

Leftover from bundles. Have fun! :)

Speevy

Banned
Be careful. This is why the Rock Band mega thread was eventually (rightfully) closed. If an OT eventually just becomes an insular private "off topic" unto itself it really doesn't serve its purpose anymore and the mods shut it down.

On that topic that's kind if the annoyance with the public gifting. It comes off as "clique"-y to those not getting gifts and people can say "just blow it off" buy how can it not be haves and have-nots in that case?

OT threads should be about welcoming in and including people getting turned on to this for the first time.

Anywho whatever. I just started recently for the sales and hidden gems as I am getting back into PC gaming. But yeah the threads have turned into pages and pages of gifting and "pay what you want bundle" megagiver spamming.

I make it a point to gift lots of new users. It's funny because I posted a message that said "Hey I'd love to give some of you guys games, but you're not on my friends list."

About 30 people instantly joined my friends list, and the majority of them already had lots of Steam games.

It is and continues to be very accessible for new and old users alike to build their Steam libraries.

And another thing. Find me one post in which nbnt, Shadownet, JaseC, Sub Zero, Rhaknar, and other generous gaffers have been exclusionary. We've been promoting the best games out there. We practically run a paid-into marketing team for these developers.

There is nothing sinister happening when one of us buys the user a gift. The user gets the gift, plays the game, shares an experience. That's all that happens.

Shadownet bought me a game just today that 99% of you probably wouldn't be interested in. I bought someone a game today that I'm damn sure not interested in.

Do you know what often happens when users say "I wish people would send me games."

Someone gifts them a game. And we go right on gaming.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Keep SteeamGAF drama free! o/ I like it fun and messy, too.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Hey, no! C'mon, Drama is one of my favorite Yes albums. I know Jon Anderson isn't there, but "Does it really happen" and "Tempus fugit" kick a lot of ass. Why do you want to take it out of this thread?

Trejik

What's all this hype for Abyss Odyssey?

After seeing the trailer, I must ask: Is it A) Roguelike or B) Metroidvania.

If not, someone please explain.

l5x4Rhd.png

Gaffers unite! We are playing dumb board/card games on Tabletop Simulator so come play and message me on steam if you want to get in a mumble channel as well!

Password is in this message, just quote to see it!

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Hey, no! C'mon, Drama is one of my favorite Yes albums. I know Jon Anderson isn't there, but "Does it really happen" and "Tempus fugit" kick a lot of ass. Why do you want to take it out of this thread?

I love you, man. Wearing a "Yes" band tee right now even.

Mono

Potential spoiler (but not for Mono, since he's done with eps 1-4): http://abload.de/img/staydown.gifjekw4.gif

Next episode should be out in a week.

That scene was so, so good!

Kind of spoilery for The Wolf Among Us episode 4:
The first time I played through that chapter, I chose to go to the butcher's shop, which was okay, but by the time you get to Jersey Devil's shop, you kind of just rush into that battle.

I liked it a lot better starting from Jersey Devil's shop! Toad, Jack, and the Woodsman are always fun to interact with!

liezryou

You know what's worse than losing power during a storm?

Losing power 3 days after a storm...

Wait how is that worse? Cause like during a storm you can't go outside... when there is not a storm you can.

Unless you are weird and you do it the opposite way (Hope you have a long and healthy life).

On Ep.3, 2 episodes left.
Ah ok, I did buy on the summer sale but wait till all the episodes are there for the full experience like what I did with season 1. I'm kinda hoping when Telltale finishes up season 2, the borderlands game, and the upcoming game of thrones they can make another season of Sam and Max eventually. Or is that series is dead at this point?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

/sigh

this sort of isn't true.

gifter gifts a game to someone. they are appreciative and want to thank the gifter. they now have two choices... privately, either in steam, PM, Skype, whatever.. or publicly in this thread.. I mean really what's the benefit to doing it here. But then beyond that it's not even "thank you" or "thank you for game X" but "hey I'm going to take a screenshot for everyone to see and post that".

Not really as nonchalant as it's being made out to be. shadow more than likely isn't/wasn't say looking for genuine attention/approval, however it's tough to really say that the public display and thank yous are "low key. I don't see the big deal" If that were really the case it could simply be done in PM or steam chat.

And another thing. Find me one post in which nbnt, Shadownet, JaseC, Sub Zero, Rhaknar, and other generous gaffers have been exclusionary. We've been promoting the best games out there. We practically run a paid-into marketing team for these developers.

glad I posted this... gifting isn't really the problem. I've gifted my brother and friends tons and even had a few non-bundle giveaways in the last thread myself. It's the "look at what x just gave me for free!!!" posts that people are taking issue with. I don't think anyone is taking issue with Shadow, et al, at all.

I no damaged Monsoon once. I was totally in the zone, and when the music kicked in it was awesome. But that was luck, I guess. It took me almost 2 hours to beat Sam later on.

There's 3 or 4 things you REALLY have to watch out for with Monsoon (I've done it at least 3 times, I think, but it takes a long time if you're out of practice to remember all of the following):

(1) if he throws the red phosphorous grenades, you must use the dodge move or you will take chip and your run is ruined.
(2) depending on if you've got the timing for it, if he does the "house of mirrors" type attack, it's better to use the dodge cause you can actually get hits in on him.
(3) when you knock him down for free damage after his first cycle of throwing things (and every cycle after that) it's best to use the pincer blades (full power, figure out which charge level works best for you)
(4) after he gets up from you getting free shots post-cycle-2 throwing projectiles, he will initiate a cutscene. After it zooms back out, you have a couple options: you can try to parry/block the go go gadget attacks -- if you get parries, you'll end the barrage quickly, but there are better ways. One is running toward him, jumping his first go go gadget arm and then dive attack on him. The other is to have the sai equipped and charged with the magnetic power so that as soon as you get control, you lock on and throw. This will emp him before the first arm can attack you.
(5) while you can probably manage to do the first 2 sections of projectiles as designed, if he makes it to the 3rd one, it's absolutely safer in my experience to employ the evasion strategy where you run in a U around the arena and have the projectiles nipping at your heels.

Astebreed OT would always be awesome... but I mean comon! Blade Mode and Power Vocals!

I'm glad there's some demand for it! :) If I weren't that lazy I could probably do the OT in 1-2 hours but I really want to go all out design and info-wise :p But yeah... maybe I will do half-half!

Ozium

GUYS, With all my uber profits from steam trading, i have decided to gift
MYSELF
either Don Bradman Cricket 14 or Divinity: Original Sin.

Which one should i gift? On one hand you got super duper GAF hype. On the other hand you got probably the best cricket game released in 10+ years.

make sure you buy it as a gift, add it to your inventory and then make a .webm with a greeting to yourself and then post the .webm along with how awesome you are and then have twenty other people quote that post saying omg you are so awesome and then another thirty posts of people begging or dropping not so subtle hints that they want to join your personality cult.. then when others get tired of it, turn around and act like a victim and claim that everyone is just so jealous because you are oh so awesome..

also, to the guy who keeps saying this is about pure jealousy and 'not being a part of steamgaf, grow up guys." congratulations, you are great at cherry picking one point out of several and focusing on it as your sole means of rebut.

Wait how is that worse? Cause like during a storm you can't go outside... when there is not a storm you can.

Unless you are weird and you do it the opposite way (Hope you have a long and healthy life).

Lol well there is that. During a storm there is at least an excuse for losing power. Now I just think they took us down to fix everyone else and that's a bummer.

Also limited GAF. ... so I have no idea what is going on outside my bubble here, but it sounds like this thread is all Twinkies and sunshine as usual

'Twinkies' was a total autocorrect and I don't even care

MUnited83

For you.
make sure you buy it as a gift, add it to your inventory and then make a .webm with a greeting to yourself and then post the .webm along with how awesome you are and then have twenty other people quote that post saying omg you are so awesome and then another thirty posts of people begging or dropping not so subtle hints that they want to join your personality cult.. then when others get tired of it, turn around and act like a victim and claim that everyone is just so jealous because you are oh so awesome..

also, to the guy who keeps saying this is about pure jealousy and 'not being a part of steamgaf, grow up guys." congratulations, you are great at cherry picking one point out of several and focusing on it as your sole means of rebut.

onoz.gif

It's not really cherry picking when I'm basically replying to the only points that are truly relevant.There's nothing more to it.

Mono

I wish I would have recorded some of my stuff from The Wolf Among Us to make into webms! I got some weird, weird glitches in episode three for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom