• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mono

Okay if you are pretty sure it's AMD then install this: http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/msi_afterburner_beta_download.html

It will also ask you to install RivaTuner Statistics Server, install that too! That tool is mostly using for overclocking but it has a pretty nifty recording function too that is near performance-loss free on modern cards :) Before we go on though can you right-click a empty spot on your Desktop and see if the menu says "AMD Catalyst Control Center"?

Also would you mind if we do this all properly tomorrow? D: It's almost sunrise here so I should get some sleep :p

Thank you so much, I'll definitely try this out!!

And omg, of course! Goodnight/morning!!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Mafia 2 was cool, fuck all you haters :(

just dont try to play it as a open world game tho, its not, it just looks like one

I edited it within 5 seconds :(

you ruined my Alpaca experience and now I wont buy the game, congratulations, now the devs will starve. I hope youre happy!

oipic

Divinity Original Sin is great so far, really enjoying the combat and the visuals complement it nicely. It's neat how you can separate your party into multiple groups. Was having trouble in a battle so I had my archer stay behind and sneak around the mages and light them on fire while my main posse were fighting the horde.

For a guy sporting a Scarlett avatar, I've been slack/snowed-under with work, and haven't had a chance to fire up D:OS at all yet. This weekend it will happen... I hope. I've read the manual, though!

So happy to see it selling well, as it is really the PC gamers' PC game, it seems. Very relieved for Larian, who seemingly put it all on the line for this.

To read so many positive comments from folks whose opinions I highly respect, such as yourself, ricochet, pleases me greatly.

derExperte

has anyone played No More Room in Hell? zombie survival inspired by Romero's movies. HL2 standalone mod

Janky as fuck and it takes a while to get your bearings mainly because it's very easy to die. This ain't no L4D, health is low, med packs scarce. But after a few hours it thought it's pretty great.

Tenrius

In the meantime, I'd like to gauge interest in playing Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, because nobody except mannerbot was up for it a week back when I posted in the sale thread. I'm not completely free yet, but I'd like dedicate an evening to it come Monday. So be prepared!

Ibuki

Banned
I edited it within 5 seconds :( It's 3:30 am and I'm out of coffee so cocked up the spoilers.

I'm not mad! I read the first part and looked away in time for it not to be a true spoiler.... sort of. Either way I'm buying this fucking Alpaca game. :3

zkylon

zkylewd
not sure how i feel about this
yea it's not good at all

like basically every game is fun if you play it with friends so it works out and it's actually hilarious to see like 6 walters running around in circles but the game's just really bad lol

at least in the state i played it in

I very very very very purposefully built this PC to be über-hackintosh compatible. So I had to create a Mavericks USB installer with Unibeast, and basically just need Multibeast for audio and Trim support... and that's about it. Oh and need to install a custom HDMI-audio driver for my GTX 770.

The biggest thing holding me back from actually getting a real Mac is that I'd need to go 27" to get a GPU I'd be happy with.. which means paying for a 27" monitor no matter what.

though sadly... with what I paid for this PC........... The difference between this and a Mac probably comes down to the cost of a 27" monitor anyway. Damn it. And I only have a 19" Double damn it. Oh well. Glad I thought of it now. I probably just will grab a 27" iMac at my next upgrade cycle.
Argh, just reading Unibeast and Multibeast reminds of countless nights tinkering and making install usbs.
You have it good, building your pc around parts you know are supported! I'm out of the loop actually, does a once compatible hackintosh build accept future OS updates well?

yGray

Banned
Downloading, thanks.

dude I love your icon. how would you feel about playing that collection on the vita? just wondering.

also, FULL HD remasters of those games on PS4 wouldn't be a bad idea imo.

Idk why I'm bringing this up now but it's a great icon

Trejik

Like, how good is it? Because I'm extremely jaded when it comes to shooters. I've been playing them since the Wolfenstein 3D days. That's the one before Doom, with pixel characters. It takes an extraordinary shooter to even nudge the needle on my hype-o-meter.

What's good about it? How is the level design? What game is it like? How are the bosses? How are the "non-shooting" elements? How complex does it get? How "puzzley"?

I hear people hype a shooter now and then, but I'm almost always disappointed.

To give a general impression having finished the game and remembering it pretty well, the best part about the game is the story. It's well written, well voice-acted and interesting enough to keep you pushing through and actually wanting to know what happens to these characters. Certain sequences related to the story stand out as being very strong, more-so than most games I've played in recent years. It's effective at conveying emotion, which is COMPLETELY surprising considering the game is called Wolfenstein.

The level design leaves something to be desired. Early on it offers more open environments that, personally, I used stealth to overcome. Slowly, depending on what you use more of and therefore upgrade, you either end up shooting a bunch of things or knifing them in the back, but both are equally satisfying. Weapons have a real good kick to them and they wreck through those Nazis. Bosses get creative and fun, involving dodging attacks in something that feels like a bit of an homage to older shooters, just like the health and armor.

Puzzles are straightforward and exist mainly as a vehicle for the inner monologue or to progress the story and give some exposition. Set-pieces are flashy and cool, and give off a certain Pacific Rim or Avatar style of supernatural "this is just really awesome even if silly" vibe. To liken it to another shooter, probably Riddick due to the pace at certain times and emphasis on characters. It has an actual prison scene very similar to Escape from Butcher Bay, so I guess that doesn't help.

If you go in expecting a classic shooter, you'll find glimpses of it in the gameplay, but if you go in expecting something different that is a hell of a 12 to 15 hour ride, that game will deliver in spades.

Edit: Wow, totally just mini-reviewed Wolfenstein. BTW, talking about Wolfenstein here in case anyone wants to jump in on the conversation.

Jawmuncher

For new page.
I have a skullgirls room set up. Invite only. If I'm not on your friends list just add me. Search jawmuncher on steam.

jblank83

If you go in expecting a classic shooter, you'll find glimpses of it in the gameplay, but if you go in expecting something different that is a hell of a 12 to 15 hour ride, that game will deliver in spades.

Sounds like the type of thing I might enjoy at $10, but not much more. Thanks for the impressions. Makes me glad I held off on a purchase during the sale.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
dude I love your icon. how would you feel about playing that collection on the vita? just wondering.

also, FULL HD remasters of those games on PS4 wouldn't be a bad idea imo.

Idk why I'm bringing this up now but it's a great icon
Thanks! :D
I'd love to see ICO/SotC on everything. :p

Thank you so much, I'll definitely try this out!!

And omg, of course! Goodnight/morning!!

Alright, if you still need more help tomorrow just PM me or add me to Steam if you want! And naaaw nothing to thank me for, as said I like helping others :) And thanks, don't worry I always am till pretty late on GAF as I'm that lucky to be able to get up between 10-11am each day before my university starts :p

!!!

We should be PSN friends!

Sure thing if you don't mind that I mostly only can play half a hour here and there D:

derExperte

best experienced with a full group?

Everything is but I only played with randoms and thought the community was.... bearable for a f2p game. Though I have no idea what has changed since last year, the game was obviously in an early stage and a lot of the other players had not idea what's going on either. Maybe they've now all turned into elitist dicks.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Come on and slam, if you want to jam

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Final Slam 2 -- MB-4C2148CA0DCEBA57
Final Slam 2 #2 -- MB-F198B2CB91649A1F - Taken by MTE. 1 entrants total.
Final Slam 2 #3 -- MB-0B3FA59A6F4842D6

t1404442508z1.png

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
does a once compatible hackintosh build accept future OS updates well?

yes, with the caveat that everything you had to do (or didn't have to do) to fuck around to get it working the first time you will have to do each time you upgrade. But yes, the version of Mavericks that I had installed before this PC was a PC that had been installed from Snow Leopard up through Mavericks at each release.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
huh... look at that. When you eat healthier you actually lose weight. Shocking I know

Mono

Alright, if you still need more help tomorrow just PM me or add me to Steam if you want! And naaaw nothing to thank me for, as said I like helping others :) And thanks, don't worry I always am till pretty late on GAF as I'm that lucky to be able to get up between 10-11am each day before my university starts :p

Most helpful person on GAF award!! \o/ Thank you so much, I'll be sure to shoot you a PM and friend you on Steam if we're not friends already! I'll probably have a hard time figuring out how to do all this stuff, lol. That's pretty late for uni, lucky!

To give a general impression having finished the game and remembering it pretty well, the best part about the game is the story. It's well written, well voice-acted and interesting enough to keep you pushing through and actually wanting to know what happens to these characters. Certain sequences related to the story stand out as being very strong, more-so than most games I've played in recent years. It's effective at conveying emotion, which is COMPLETELY surprising considering the game is called Wolfenstein.

The level design leaves something to be desired. Early on it offers more open environments that, personally, I used stealth to overcome. Slowly, depending on what you use more of and therefore upgrade, you either end up shooting a bunch of things or knifing them in the back, but both are equally satisfying. Weapons have a real good kick to them and they wreck through those Nazis. Bosses get creative and fun, involving dodging attacks in something that feels like a bit of an homage to older shooters, just like the health and armor.

Puzzles are straightforward and exist mainly as a vehicle for the inner monologue or to progress the story and give some exposition. Set-pieces are flashy and cool, and give off a certain Pacific Rim or Avatar style of supernatural "this is just really awesome even if silly" vibe. To liken it to another shooter, probably Riddick due to the pace at certain times and emphasis on characters. It has an actual prison scene very similar to Escape from Butcher Bay, so I guess that doesn't help.

Edit: Wow, totally just mini-reviewed Wolfenstein. BTW, talking about Wolfenstein here in case anyone wants to jump in on the conversation.

Love the mini-review. I'm currently really enjoying this game too, in addition to what you've said about the actual game, there are a lot of fun extras/shout outs to video games and the old wolfenstein 3d.

Shadownet

Banned
Am I hallucinating or did you just ghost quote me again?!!

I might have. We need to talk sometimes. Being GameStop employees and all. We got war stories to share:p Lol

Hey I did want to gift you something but Steam is still blocking me. :(

"even with the ridiculous wealth that nbnt has" xD
I don't even have a job, mate. :p If I had one, I would've bought everyone here The Witcher 3:
Bad Rats edition.

As a college students. Spending $1000 on gifts is rich to me :p Lol I'm sorry to hear that. I remember now. How is your restriction going? I'm on it too. I hope they lift it soon.

This is getting out of hand. Even if you think that shadownet is doing this for his ego(which is a ridiculous and presumptuous idea), he's still being absurdly generous and gifting people.
There's no problem with feeling a bit jealous, but lashing out at either the ones gifted, who feel grateful and want to thank the one who gave them the gift, or at the gifter, is really childish.
It's people like him, Rhaknar, Sub-Zero and nbnt with their generosity; people like JaseC and Grief with their help on steam and games, users who post their impressions of games, and countless others, that cements why Neogaf, and more specifically, SteamGaf, for me, is one of the best communities i had the chance to participate.

SteamGAF is the best no doubt about that. Bar none.

But maybe less of constant "dont forget to update your wishlists so I can gift things guys wink wink" posts would go a long way?

Or my personal favorite "im a terrible person, I forgot who I havent gifted to" :D come on dude, thats like the hot girl that knows she hot and yet cries about hot fat she is :p

Hey don't be mad at me cause I keep telling you to keep your wishlist organized! It's a mess!

And its true! I was in a car accidence when I was younger. Give me really bad memory. I said I feel bad cause I wouldn't wanna give you another copy of a game if I already did once. :) that's all I meant by that.

Rhaknar

is anyone else like me with fighting games where you thought you were really good when you were a kid, and then when you grew up and actually saw tournament streams and shit and saw the ACTUAL combos you could / should do (you know, instead of jumping high kick into sweep with Ryu, or spear into uppercut with Scorpion) you felt completely demorolized lol?

thats how I feel when I watch Skullgirls now. I want to start playing it, but then I see those combos that people do and...yeah...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom