• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleBiz

is anyone else like me with fighting games where you thought you were really good when you were a kid, and then when you grew up and actually saw tournament streams and shit and saw the ACTUAL combos you could / should do (you know, instead of jumping high kick into sweep with Ryu, or spear into uppercut with Scorpion) you felt completely demorolized lol?

thats how I feel when I watch Skullgirls now. I want to start playing it, but then I see those combos that people do and...yeah...

I used to think I was a genius pressing down + a on link in melee.. after seeing people actually play melee and other fighters, it's pretty discouraging

is anyone else like me with fighting games where you thought you were really good when you were a kid, and then when you grew up and actually saw tournament streams and shit and saw the ACTUAL combos you could / should do (you know, instead of jumping high kick into sweep with Ryu, or spear into uppercut with Scorpion) you felt completely demorolized lol?

thats how I feel when I watch Skullgirls now. I want to start playing it, but then I see those combos that people do and...yeah...

Happened to me with Halo: CE. I thought I was godly at Halo: CE until I tried Xbconnect.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
That was random, bro. (Are congratulations in order?)

just a few months ago I thought to myself "dude you are 35, start taking better care of yourself" and decided to starting eating healthier (not even a diet, just eating less junk) and lo and behold, ive lost quite a bit of weight already just from that.

and yeah thats me, Rhaknar "Random" Jones

yGray

Banned
Rate my 3rd Steam account games list /10

Capture.png

Hugstable

Banned

That's pretty much my life story when it comes to fighting games. I remember we always used to hold SF3 tournaments in the dorms and before that I used to think I was badass, then I learned how much I truly suck at fighting games. Playing on the internet and watching streams just made it all the worse. Now I just play them for fun and not try to actually git gud.

Rate my 3rd Steam account games list /10

Capture.png

Needs more Bad Rats/10

Thanks for pointing out!

Also PSA people!
While redeeming the game in Steam I saw Crysis 2 Maximum is off 75%
And more: Crysis Complete ( Crysis 1+ Warhead + Crysis 2 Maximum) is off 75%

Glad I held back during sale.

Any russian gaffer here tonight? Need to buy through.

I've got a spare copy of Crysis 2 Max, check your PM in a minute.

Most helpful person on GAF award!! \o/ Thank you so much, I'll be sure to shoot you a PM and friend you on Steam if we're not friends already! I'll probably have a hard time figuring out how to do all this stuff, lol. That's pretty late for uni, lucky!

Oh dear now now... thanks! D: Here's my profile: http://steamcommunity.com/id/01021450/ I don't think we are friends yet :eek: And once everything is setup properly it gets super simple! Also yeah it is, my uni is pretty generous for certain reasons thankfully :)

Nabs

This is me:

iWq3QoABS1oPG.gif

And I love it. Play Skullgirls. It's not as hard as it looks.

yGray

Banned
That's pretty much my life story when it comes to fighting games. I remember we always used to hold SF3 tournaments in the dorms and before that I used to think I was badass, then I learned how much I truly suck at fighting games. Playing on the internet and watching streams just made it all the worse. Now I just play them for fun and not try to actually git gud.

Needs more Bad Rats/10

I'm not worthy
nor do i want to be

ImSooFlye

Hit up the dustloop forums and read how to get better.

Tellaerin

And its true! I was in a car accidence when I was younger. Give me really bad memory. I said I feel bad cause I wouldn't wanna give you another copy of a game if I already did once. :) that's all I meant by that.

In a car accident when he was younger... borderline insane(ly generous)...

OMG GARY BUSEY IS POSTING ON STEAMGAF :O

This is me:

iWq3QoABS1oPG.gif

And I love it. Play Skullgirls. It's not as hard as it looks.

this is me as well. thats why the only fighting game i play is smash and smash clones(which aren't many, mostly its project m and battle royale for me). most accessible and most fun imo

Trejik

Love the mini-review. I'm currently really enjoying this game too, in addition to what you've said about the actual game, there are a lot of fun extras/shout outs to video games and the old wolfenstein 3d.

There's that one specific Wolfenstein easter egg in there...it's great.

What?! Had no idea there was such a thing as 1080p CRTs! :eek:

You can still find some like 1600P CRT Monitors. They look reaaaally good IMO. But yeah, totally exist. Sony made this very limited line in the early 2000's of Sony Diamond line 40 to 50 inch CRT TV's that were 1080P. Back in 2007 my brother still had it in his house, so we actually watched some Blu-Rays on the thing. It's a strange sight, but it looks very particular. Arguably it looks less "good" than watching on a Plasma or LCD, but hey, to each his own.

The more you know. :D

Deitus

Bmzc6ST.jpg

Can't buy or add funds to my wallet. #ThanksGaben

Hah. I'm sure by any reasonable metric, that amount of giveaways looks like someone hacked your account to buy games with your money.

How long does this kind of thing last for?

The Fall Impressions
So I've put an hour or so into The Fall. The premise is interesting enough, you are an AI in a full body suit whose pilot is unconscious and in critical condition. You must now find a way to get the medical attention he needs and overcome the locks in your programming that prevent you from keeping your pilot alive.

On to the gameplay, it's 2D side scroller in the same vein as The Swapper or Limbo and is very puzzle oriented with a bit of combat mixed it. Combat is simple enough with a cover system and regenerating shield system. The puzzles are kind of irritating. You must scan the environment for items or hints that are not directly highlighted unless you are pointing your flashlight at them. I was wandering around a good chunk of time trying to find bait to lure out an animal when i turns out I was supposed to gather dripping blood from a corpse that had no visual indicator.

Overall the story is interesting and the combat is okay but the constant search for puzzle items is keeping me from loving it. I'll probably need a guide to finish it.

I usually stay calm because I sucked a lot more when I was a kid playing fighting games, today I can watch and understand what's going on, though sometimes I have the urge to do it:

saltfordejcm5.gif

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Hah. I'm sure by any reasonable metric, that amount of giveaways looks like someone hacked your account to buy games with your money.

How long does this kind of thing last for?

mine was gone in a few days when it happened last winter

How can I deny someone who hugs Alpacas? :D

Also I accepted Mono and whoever the third person was to send me a friend-request too! Please don't wonder if I'm offline most of the time though I will try to show up every now and then now that I have some people from here on my friend list. I never really used Steam for chatting as I have all my friends on Trillian usually.

this is me as well. thats why the only fighting game i play is smash and smash clones(which aren't many, mostly its project m and battle royale for me). most accessible and most fun imo

That gif is also me, lol! And I second that: Skullgirls is really fun! Hard to master, easy to learn!

I would look even worse than this... I tried to play with a Arcade Stick once... my hands didn't understand it at all :(

Momentary

Banned
I usually stay calm because I sucked a lot more when I was a kid playing fighting games, today I can watch and understand what's going on, though sometimes I have the urge to do it:

saltfordejcm5.gif

Damn... I have a multi-system arcade stick. There is no way in hell I would ever get that mad. Even decent mass produced arcade sticks aren't cheap.

Beelzebubs

The controls in Divekick are too complex for me, I feel I'd struggle with Skullgirls. Not really played a fighting game since Marvel vs Capcom 2 on Dreamcast.

subtleglitch

Neo Member
Oh, I see. So, what's the approximate amount of games you gifted? I bought up to a hundred games for gaffers during the summer sale (helping people get cheap games from the RU store) and thankfully didn't get it.

I think he gifted $1000 worth of games iirc? Still weird, and sucks :/ Hopefully it gets fixed soon, as nbnt doesn't deserve it.

Momentary

Banned
Damn man. Anyone who plays fighting games needs to add me to their friends list.

On a similar note, there isn't a day that goes by that I don't pray for GGXrd to get announced for Steam. I really don't see myself paying 460 bucks to play 1 game for a console.

Shadownet

Banned
Does Gamestop really throw out as much still working stuff as people say? Do you ever keep stuff you're suppose to throw out?

We only throw like old games or promotional stuff away like posters and keychain and stuff. I try to keep some and give them away :)

Man, Final Slam 2 is pretty damn great. No achievements tho. :(

Still no word from Steam support. :|

Damn I hope that will change soon. I waited a week to hear back. I'm with you man.

In a car accident when he was younger... borderline insane(ly generous)...

OMG GARY BUSEY IS POSTING ON STEAMGAF :O

I'm so bad I can't even spell accident. Lol I just noticed. XD

And in the end I didn't work on the Astebreed OT or played MGR... I just F5'ed the thread all the time... ah well such is GAF... good night everyone! :)

Miguel81

The commentary in Deus Ex HR DC is pretty informative and just fantastic in general. In my first playthrough I didn't realize
you could save Malik

Gamefly indie deals are nice, but I still haven't played Skyrim and it's on sale via Ubi Store(Steam Key, of course).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom