• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, Sunless Sea is fascinating. And hard to describe. real-time movement, but sort of turn based combat (sort of... more like you chose actions which take X seconds to trigger in queue), and sort of choose-your-own-adventure sections when you're not in your ship. Not to mention some sort of trading simulation, oh and Lovecraftian horror.

It's like... uh... I actually can't think of another game that it's like. I see people using FTL as an example, but it doesn't feel much like that at all to me.

Need to play it more, i've only put about an hour into it so far.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
remember when Antichamber was the next big thing in indies?

these days its little more than bundle fodder... kinda like Fez

makes you think about bundles :/

Salsa

remember when Antichamber was the next big thing in indies?

these days its little more than bundle fodder... kinda like Fez

makes you think about bundles :/

uh games just get cheaper bro

Fez and Antichamber are both still the shit

people were buying fucking System Shock 2 for $1.5 days ago

downloading now.

i have medium to high expectations now
lol, I just beat it. It's the first of many point-and-click adventure games I've gotta play...

BASS is definitely accessible: the interface does a lot of the hard work for you, since you simply left-click to move and get item/hotspot descriptions and right-click to activate things or combine items on each other or a hotspot. The game's got adjustable clock speeds, a healthy amount of save states, and does a good job of telegraphing death scenes before you hit them without saving beforehand. It's probably one of the shorter P&C's, going from hearsay, though I got several good hours out of it.

The worst flaw I can think of is that puzzle-related items disappear too easily into the background art. There's a really-good example of this at late-game where an item's hanging on a wall, but looks more like a logical part of a door mechanism than a detachable item needed to procure something. An early-game example would be the all-purpose cable item you'll need for some actions, which also happens to blend into the red-colored environment well. I blame a lot of my confusion on Dave Gibbons not understanding players would want to quickly find quest items, rather than do a tedious pixel hunt on every single screen in a game where hotspot hitboxes are annoyingly small. Aside from all this, the game's disappointingly easy, though well-paced and a good primer on the pros and cons of this genre. Don't bother with the enhanced soundtrack, this game's music sounds better in AdLib, more jaunty and shrill to the benefit of the story's adventurous tone.

Next P&C for me will probably be the first Leisure Suit Larry, then Maniac Mansion. I need to try A Mind Forever Voyaging, too, since Infocom text adventures are cool.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Just played Broforce with 3 friends for like 3 hours.

I think it's my GOTY so far. Good lord, what an awesome game.

I keep losing too. I've only won once..

I've won thrice, but got screwed out of 1 of the prizes because I messed up the billing address... and for whatever reason, it ended up draining the card, but amazon said there was a problem and now it's just garbage. I wish I could win again. :lol

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
uh games just get cheaper bro

Fez and Antichamber are both still the shit

people were buying fucking System Shock 2 for $1.5 days ago

never said they werent good, theres a lot of bundle fodder that is good :p

well, not a lot :/

Thanks to liezryou for helping me get my keys back. Told the trader who had been ignoring me for days that I'd report him to steamrep and low and behold he finally responds.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I wish Snatcher was on Steam or gog..

There are a ton of old "FMV" games I wish were on Steam. Like The Daedalus Encounter.

I wish Snatcher was on Steam or gog..
If you want to get more Japanese adventure games onto digital distribution platforms like GOG, then it's best to start by raising awareness of all the old Japanese PC games nobody's played until very recently. I'm contributing to a wishlist page on GOG by adding game entries, so you can vote here to keep the page high on GOG's profile.

Seriously, you guys deserve to play something as cool as Star Cruiser (originally for the NEC PC-88), or the Portopia Serial Murder Case, or Tokyo Twilight Busters. I'm thinking of learning some hacking basics to go in and get these games ready for English-text translations, which can reliably be done with a disassembler and knowledge of assembly programming.

Hugstable

Banned
I wonder if anyone else played those horrible ms dos Megaman games. All this talk of old PC games made this horrible memory just come to mind lol

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I wonder if anyone else played those horrible ms dos Megaman games. All this talk of old PC games made this horrible memory just come to mind lol

Oh man, I had Megaman 3(?) on a 3 1/2 inch floppy. It was terribad.

jshackles

The first one that comes to mind that still isn't available on Steam or GOG is Ripper.

Kind of along the same lines, but it's a damn shame that The Neverhood never got a proper digital release.

Hugstable

Banned
Oh man, I had Megaman 3(?) on a 3 1/2 inch floppy. It was terribad.

The first one had a boss named Sonic Man... and he literally just shot Sonic Booms. The games were pretty much unplayable also, megaman moved so slow and horribly while the enemies were fast. One level had the bee's from Hard Mans stage in 3. Never again!

Kind of along the same lines, but it's a damn shame that The Neverhood never got a proper digital release.
This needs to be remedied. If Armikrog makes a good profit following its release (and considering that it was backed successfully), I bet the current rights-holder(s) would capitalize and either release it themselves or give that duty to some other publisher.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
ibcd58TyVCwOE8.png

Hmmm...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom