• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know what's weird? There was only one true, pure point-and-click adventure game made by Japanese developers during the golden age of Japanese PC gaming. It's called Makyouden, here's a page with screenies; Tokyo Twilight Busters is one-half visual novel, the other part being a Clock Tower-ish, point-and-click-interface adventure mode.

Miguel81

I wonder if anyone else played those horrible ms dos Megaman games. All this talk of old PC games made this horrible memory just come to mind lol

Ninja Gaiden II had such choppy, headache-inducing scrolling. Thank god for id software and Commander Keen.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Kind of along the same lines, but it's a damn shame that The Neverhood never got a proper digital release.

I remember randomly finding out about that game one day when I was younger and being really disappointed that I couldn't play it. I wonder who even owns the ip for that game anymore and if it would be possible for it rerelease. I think it might be EA but I'm not really sure.

Should have got Sonic R.
DAT SOUNDTRACK
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSMK7b7DLrE

Sonic the Fighters is the GOAT terrible old Sanic game though.

Hugstable

Banned
I remember randomly finding out about that game one day when I was younger and being really disappointed that I couldn't play it. I wonder who even owns the ip for that game anymore and if it would be possible for it rerelease. I think it might be EA but I'm not really sure.

Sonic the Fighters is the GOAT terrible old Sanic game though.

What about Sanic Heroes, Sanic 3d blast and Sanic 06? They are all pretty bad

Deitus

I wonder if anyone else played those horrible ms dos Megaman games. All this talk of old PC games made this horrible memory just come to mind lol

Oh man, I had Megaman 3(?) on a 3 1/2 inch floppy. It was terribad.

I had one of the Megaman PC games, but I don't remember which. Nor do I really remember much about it other than it was pretty bad. Though I'm pretty sure mine was on a 5 1/4 floppy.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Speaking of games I would buy in an instant if they were put up on Steam: pretty much any of the old Star Trek games, but especially Bridge Commander or Voyager Elite Force / Elite Force II. Other notable mentions include Starfleet Academy, Armada / Armada II, and even the more recent Star Trek Legacy.

Yakkue

You know what's weird? There was only one true, pure point-and-click adventure game made by Japanese developers during the golden age of Japanese PC gaming. It's called Makyouden, here's a page with screenies; Tokyo Twilight Busters is one-half visual novel, the other part being a Clock Tower-ish, point-and-click-interface adventure mode.

Probably. The game appears to have some supernatural plot of sorts, and the Japanese are wacky like that. You can buy the game from Project EGG if you pay the subscription fee through PayPal (playable through their launcher, PC-98 emulation depends on Windows specifications).

Huh, never heard of that game, looks interesting! Might actually bite for 500 yen, that's pretty cheap.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
ibcd58TyVCwOE8.png

Hmmm...

yes! embrace the alpaca!

Now that's interesting.
Wonder why a team hasn't tried to grab it for translation and rerelease.
I could see it doing well on GOG.
Getting these games over here is more of a problem than it seems from the outside. Remember, XSEED publishing Falcom games in the West is a recent phenomenon, and Falcom's way more savvy than the rest of the Japanese developers and publishers born during the Japanese PC golden age.

The crux of the problem is hacking these games open for translators to insert text that looks good, is readable, and makes for the best localization to begin with. Some games will no doubt have unique programming within them leaving little room for English characters (assuming people don't want to read generic Unicode/ASCII characters). Then GOG or Steam would have to convince the rights-holders for the games' IPs/trademarks/both that there's a good profit to be made. Project EGG's successfully gotten these games up for sale through a subscription-based model (no DRM, thankfully!), but who knows if the publishers think there's a Western audience. Games from publishers like DB-Soft, Kogado, and System Sacom should do well on a site like GOG, but only if people have a clear idea of whether they're any good to play or not, and so few people have played these games that anyone wanting to put them up for purchase becomes a curator in effect.

Jawmuncher

Getting these games over here is more of a problem than it seems from the outside. Remember, XSEED publishing Falcom games in the West is a recent phenomenon, and Falcom's way more savvy than the rest of the Japanese developers and publishers born during the Japanese PC golden age.

The crux of the problem is hacking these games open for translators to insert text that looks good, is readable, and makes for the best localization to begin with. Some games will no doubt have unique programming within them leaving little room for English characters (assuming people don't want to read generic Unicode/ASCII characters). Then GOG or Steam would have to convince the rights-holders for the games' IPs/trademarks/both that there's a good profit to be made. Project EGG's successfully gotten these games up for sale through a subscription-based model (no DRM, thankfully!), but who knows if the publishers think there's a Western audience.

Yeah that's definitely a good point. It's surprising how stubborn japan can still be with their games sometimes.

Japanese representation on PC platforms has definitely gotten better in recent years, what with SEGA focusing on digital distribution and XSEED doing their business. My dream is that all the great Japanese PC games made before or slightly after 1995 can make their way to our domestic stores. Loads of great adventure games, visual novels, arcade-style romps, and Western-like CRPGs to sort through...good thing we have reliable PC emulators for all the different Japanese PC platforms of that era.

Besides, Square's old PC games are bound to sell well. If any one publisher's likely to advocate for such a project, it's Square-Enix.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
It's me but he already surrendered after I owned him in the last day of the sale. There's no coming back from it

werent you sleeping for your exam? You felt it didnt you, you felt the blood feud boiling inside of you. Its alright, its normal to be afraid. You strike me down in a moment of weakness and sing jolly songs of how you defeated the beast

you should have killed me when you had the chance, but alas, like your namesake, you cant kill fuck all, you can only be killed. Like a bitch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom