• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sajjaja

i3afFXea3Uq2h.gif

It's like an 80s dance mix video now.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Given the choice between increasing the quality of writing and gimmicks, they chose the latter. Why am I not surprised.

At least the quality of writing in the fan translation of Paca Plus is Shakespeare tier.

TAjWZ66.jpg

You should try Long Live the Queen, it's actually pretty damned good and my first foray into visual novels. Assuming that's what it is.

It's definitely a good entry point for anyone interested in visual novels with a plethora of choices.

Since you folks are all about Long Live the Queen, I'mma recommend Princess Maker 2 instead.

end.gif

It's one of the earliest and most well-designed raising simulators, the premise being that, as a retired war-hero praised for defeating the prince of darkness, you're given custody of a heaven-born little girl whom you're required to parent. Different birthdates and attributes already effect how she'll behave as you prepare for her a monthly schedule of activities, ranging from farm work to practicing at an atelier. The game itself has tons of unique endings, great audiovisuals, some interesting challenges by late-game, and was the only game in the series to be professionally translated.

Takami Akai's pretty cool in general, being both the game's designer and a talented artist in his own right (animated Gainax's earliest stuff and did the artwork for these games).

This is why I rarely post in here. Too much random. I get that you guys know each other really well now, but this place is pretty much just a Community thread most of the time with a few Steam moments here and there.

dot

There are those who said this thread was littered with too many pictures of gifted games

What are they to say now?

I'd rather have talk of visual novels and alpacas than that gift drama nonsense.

Anyways, i'm gonna post the rest of the Skullgirls webms later today. I'm too tired right now.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
This is why I rarely post in here. Too much random. I get that you guys know each other really well now, but this place is pretty much just a Community thread most of the time with a few Steam moments here and there.

the horror

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Aeon Command keys added to Groupees Build a Bundle 6 (but not to indieroyale debut 4, as usual...RAGE)

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
OK guys, Broforce is pretty great. Played a few levels and before I knew it I'd spent an hour playing.

Rhaknar

Groupees Build a Greenlight Bundle 6? or Be Mine 6?
I don't see anything in Greenlight bundle 6

neither. its Build a Bundle 6 :)

also I lied, Indieroyale keys are up on desura, in the desura/collections. HAS TO BE IN THE CLIENT, website doesnt work as usual

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, so let me understand this: these visual novels are only about romance?

Or is there something more?

Not all VNs are about romance, but it tends to be heavily featured in them. For example, one VN on Steam that lacks any romance subplot would be Dysfunctional Systems. Steins;Gate has romantic subplots at times, but it focuses more on the actual sci-fi story and isn't really a dating VN.

dot

Ok, so let me understand this: these visual novels are only about romance?

Or is there something more?

Most have romance in them in some form, yeah. Not all visual novels are like that though i think.

I don't even like reading books and i find visual novels very interesting.

Rhaknar

oh im glad I clicked this remember my password box Desura...

Desura? Why...why dont you remmeber my password?

Desuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuura!!!!

I'll use Phoenix's avatar when I wake up. It at least stays within the lines, lol.

Two Greenlight games I might actually play:

459mCbb.gif

Abatron looks promising, in the spirit of Dungeon Keeper but within a more traditional RTS premise. It lets players both direct the battle from overhead (RTS interface) and take control of an individual unit at any one time (though not necessarily a hero unit). Game world itself looks a little generic, and there's definitely not a lot of content for the devs to showcase. This one's a keeper, so long as it's somewhat balanced and can gain a good community.

ex0G3qw.gif

Five Nights at Freddy's just looks horrifying. It's not enough that every web celeb on YouTube's gonna make a dog and pony show of it, the concept itself feeds on bad memories of Chuck E Cheese from the turn of the millennium. I'm not sure how much more complex it'll be compared to, say, a Slender game, but trying to avoid malcontent animatronic robots from the false safety of a security console sounds interesting. Here's hoping they port the app to Mac and Linux should it take off.

milena87

Most have romance in them in some form, yeah. Not all visual novels are like that though i think.

I don't even like reading books and i find visual novels very interesting.

Not all VNs are about romance, but it tends to be heavily featured in them. For example, one VN on Steam that lacks any romance subplot would be Dysfunctional Systems. Steins;Gate has romantic subplots at times, but it focuses more on the actual sci-fi story and isn't really a dating VN.

Ok, thanks. I'll check out Dysfunctional Systems, then. I'm interested in trying a visual novel, but I don't particularly care about romance.

I have Bioware games for that lol :p

Anyway, are there some other good visual novels without romance as their focus?

edit:

The silent hill VN doesn't have any romance, for example.

thanks! I'll check that one out as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom