• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthea

What, my personal reason for playing games?

You said that there are no reasons to play a VN, when you can read a book, but that can be said about lots of games and often is said: watch a movie, read a book, go outside instead.
I was curious how you justify other games if you dismiss part of them, as "poor replacement" for something.

Never heard of them before, but they seem legit at least after checking their facebook and twitter. Not sure if I would recommend buying it though.

It does seem legit, but looks can be deceiving!
I was hoping someone knows about this site.

Caerith

Regarding the blah blah getting moved to community, this thread moved 8 pages in the last 2 hours, and 90% of the posts were photoshops of alpacas into other pictures.

I'm not going to play at moderation here and say "oh maybe someone should make a thread entitled Alpaca dating visual novel PacaPlus coming to Steam (Sekai Project) and the alpaca discussion can go there." But, well, this thread does go by pretty fast.

Barbarian and assassin seem to be the most highly-regarded classes around the internets. I prefer barbarian, the massive HP makes a much bigger difference than any other class trait IMO.

I don't know the exact path through the tree, but the upper-right quadrant of the castle holds an unlock that lets you reroll your characters. That one's a good one to go for ASAP, as are the gold-boosting upgrades. More money now means more upgrades faster!

I think the reroll was pretty deep, but I agree about going for the gold boost ASAP.

Barbarian's biggest draw isn't the HP so much as the shout, which can be a real life-saver. Paladin has a shield, Assassin has mist form, Barbarian can repel projectiles. These three have survivability... if you use their skills. Best advice I think I can give to anyone just starting out is "Use your skills, because nothing is more shameful than dying with full MP."

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
not entering but nice of you pizza dog. clearly you are the best dog

also, loldevs being lol:

"The keys are only for the Groupees bundle as that is the ONLY bundle where keys were ever offered. At the time that IndieRoyale offered AoSX in their bundle, there was no Steam version in existence, and it had not even been added to greenlight. Desura copies also do not come with keys, as they were never offered either. Retail puchases also do not apply

Please refrain from posting any more topics about keys, the issue is closed for discussion."

well thanks!

not that hes wrong, but many devs have included keys in bundles that pre-existed greenlight. so fuck you Suguri devs o7

Greenlight is almost two years old and still there are developers that don't realise this sort of thing never ends well.

what is playinjector? I'm talking about this bundle
http://www.playinjector.com/

anybody knows anything about them? Is it legit?

Never heard of them but all the steam ones have been bundled many times before. It does mention that for the games on greenlight you'll get a key when it's greenlit so that sounds OK. There has been a few one bundle wonders recently like bundle-central, so probably a good idea to be careful about new first timers.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Greenlight is almost two years old and still there are developers that don't realise this sort of thing never ends well.

the funny thing is that I bet you 99% of the people that they are not giving keys to wont buy the game anyway so youre just getting shitty rep for nothing really

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I'd pick up Broforce in the Humble Sale if they didn't screw us UK folk over with the regional pricing, looks like a lot of fun and I enjoyed the Brototype.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
My exam went really well! There was an uberhot chick that was looking just like Jill Valentine sitting across from me but luckily I didn't get too distracted :p

So in honor of my success and the Jill Valentine look-alike here's a copy of Resident Evil Revelations :)

ModBot said:
Instructions for Sub Zero:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- MEGA GIVERS ONLY! You must have given away at least 25 games through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

t1cxE6r.gif
Resident Evil Revelations / Biohazard Revelations -- MB-5C617A612A567C80 - Taken by Diedac. 15 entrants total.

t1404473147z1.png

Also bumping my other two giveaways in case you missed them before
Divinity: Original Sin
Total War: Rome II

I will be going on a giveaway hiatus for a little while as I want to save some money for preordering the Fall releases, but once that's sorted out I'll be back with bigger and better giveaways :)

Beelzebubs

My exam went really well! There was an uberhot chick that was looking just like Jill Valentine sitting across from me but luckily I didn't get too distracted :p

So in honor of my success and the Jill Valentine look-alike here's a copy of Resident Evil Revelations :)

I will be going on a giveaway hiatus for a little while as I want to save some money for preordering the Fall releases, but once that's sorted out I'll be back with bigger and better giveaways :)

Glad the exam went well!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

grats Zero, what was the exam btw?

I'm glad your exam went okay! I'm with you on the fall preordering stuff. With classes starting up I might not be able to play all of them...
Oh who am I kidding?

aku:jiki

You said that there are no reasons to play a VN, when you can read a book, but that can be said about lots of games and often are said: watch a movie, read a book, go outside instead.
I was curious how you justify other games if you dismiss part of them, as "poor replacement" for something.
Well, I play games that can't be replaced by other media, that's the point for me. I don't play cutscene-heavy "AAA" games that should basically just be movies instead, nor do I read VN's that are basically just manga with a light sprinkling of interactivity. I like games that have a clear sense of accomplishment; I did something skillful and achieved something. That little rush of pride is the whole point, whether it's something big like getting a promotion at work or just beating the final boss in Rogue Legacy. That's missing in the games or other digital products I criticize, the only "accomplishment" is reaching the conclusion, and getting there takes no mental effort or skill. It's hollow and pointless to me.

I say that reading books is superior to VNs because, really, the writing in them is pretty weak and cannot stand up to even a good but not great book. That's true for most games, though. I'm extremely rarely impressed by the text in any game, though every other book I pick up makes me smile with clever phrasing and intelligent plotting.

Barbarian's biggest draw isn't the HP so much as the shout, which can be a real life-saver. Paladin has a shield, Assassin has mist form, Barbarian can repel projectiles. These three have survivability... if you use their skills. Best advice I think I can give to anyone just starting out is "Use your skills, because nothing is more shameful than dying with full MP."
Agreed, even though I'm pretty lazy about using magic myself, but the reason I recommend the barbarian is because less experienced players may not know when to use magic or how to deal with certain enemies and will take damage where they should use a spell or skill. High HP helps those players stay alive for longer and get more experience with tougher enemies.

zkylon

zkylewd

is revelaitons a spiderful?

that's what's keeping me from re6

I spent all day on this:

1hrssr.jpg

2uss5z.jpg
this is physically hurting me

GodVegeta

Neo Member

Thanks for the giveaways. Also, nice to hear you did well on your exam even in light of temptations and distractions. It's like another level of difficulty on top.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
If I get a booster pack only worth 19 cents I'm better off just opening it and hoping for a foil right?

How much are the individual cards? If they're around the same, sure. If not, live life on the edge™ and open it anyway.

is revelaitons a spiderful?

that's what's keeping me from re6

I don't think there are any spiders. Although I think there's a few non-enemy spiders occasionally around.

Tellaerin

Congrats! Hope you introduced yourself after you finished the exam. :3

CassSept

Jesus even after sale this thread moves so fast. Faster than Sanic.

Anyway, anyone wants some free Bad Rats for a future mystery game giveaway?

ModBot said:
Instructions for CassSept:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

xheRJRF.gif
Bad Rats -- MB-D426B523DB2FDB27 - Taken by Sub Zero

How is RE:Revelations on PC? I was playing through it on 3DS and I still haven't finished it.

The eternal backlog of unplayed games and unfinished games. -_-

Rhaknar

How is RE:Revelations on PC? I was playing through it on 3DS and I still haven't finished it.

port wise? great

game wise? well you played it so...

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold

Haven't played it myself but I heard that they've done a really good job.

Capcom did a lot of bad things last gen but at least their support of the PC platform was very good

Jesus even after sale this thread moves so fast. Faster than Sanic.

Anyway, anyone wants some free Bad Rats for a future mystery game giveaway?

Oh shit, I won Bad Rats. The question is do I activate it now, keep it for my 1000th game or save it for a future troll giveaway? Hmmm

Arthea

Well, I play games that can't be replaced by other media, that's the point for me. I don't play cutscene-heavy "AAA" games that should basically just be movies instead, nor do I read VN's that are basically just manga with a light sprinkling of interactivity. I like games that have a clear sense of accomplishment; I did something skillful and achieved something. That little rush of pride is the whole point, whether it's something big like getting a promotion at work or just beating the final boss in Rogue Legacy. That's missing in the games or other digital products I criticize, the only "accomplishment" is reaching the conclusion, and getting there takes no mental effort or skill. It's hollow and pointless to me.

I say that reading books is superior to VNs because, really, the writing in them is pretty weak and cannot stand up to even a good but not great book. That's true for most games, though. I'm extremely rarely impressed by the text in any game, though every other book I pick up makes me smile with clever phrasing and intelligent plotting.
Your reasoning is fine, although constantly throwing nongame arguments is tiresome as not all people play games for the same reasons as you: some play for escapism, some for fun, some because it's different experience as a book (or movie, or anime).
I'll take fun over challenge any day, for example. Not saying that challenge can't be fun, it can, but as all working people, often after work I just want to relax, and games for relaxation are those you have unjust crusade against.
I read a lot actually, I don't think that VNs and reading a book is the same or VN is replaceable by a book. It's all matter of perspective and taste and habits.

JustLynx

Thank you very much for sharing these great games,
also, I barely know you but I'm glad the exam went great! :D
Good luck with your next exams if you have more!

Deitus

Wow, when you beat the free version of Broforce (the Brototype), it gives you the option to preorder the full game. The actual options you get are as follows:
  • Preorder now
  • I have already preordered
  • Money is for capitalist dogs!

And if you pick the last option,
it takes you to the Amazon page for George Orwell's Animal farm
. Fantastic.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
ModBot said:

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Space Farmers -- MB-D059CC2D0D694B2C - Taken by Cizard. 4 entrants total.

t1404464070z1.png

Frologic

I think Betrayer might be one of my favorite steam sale purchases. Atmosphere is unsettling yet relaxing and I love the art style.

Rhaknar

where did that come from Koalaman? Bundle wise that is

zkylon

zkylewd
I don't think there are any spiders. Although I think there's a few non-enemy spiders occasionally around.

hmm ok

re2 used to be my favorite game when i was a kid but as years passed my phobias went worse and i tried playing it again a couple years ago and it was fucking traumatizing

luckily silent hill never really went there

btw re6 is filled with them, right?

Caerith

You might like a VN like Long Live the Queen, then, which is less about mildly interacting while waiting for the story to play out and more of a puzzle to figure out.

Agreed, even though I'm pretty lazy about using magic myself, but the reason I recommend the barbarian is because less experienced players may not know when to use magic or how to deal with certain enemies and will take damage where they should use a spell or skill. High HP helps those players stay alive for longer and get more experience with tougher enemies.

I'm pretty lazy about magic use, too, but the barbarian shout and assassin mist form are great for beginners to learn with: just treat them like a panic button and use when you're about to get hit.

hmm ok

re2 used to be my favorite game when i was a kid but as years passed my phobias went worse and i tried playing it again a couple years ago and it was fucking traumatizing

luckily silent hill never really went there

Don't play Dark Souls 2, there's an area filled with them.

I'm pretty lazy about magic use, too, but the barbarian shout and assassin mist form are great for beginners to learn with: just treat them like a panic button and use when you're about to get hit.

the statue is great for those enemies in tight spots too, whenever i don't feel like going in and try to get a couple of hits and then back out i just jump and get into statue form, enemies die pretty quick and it doesn't consume a lot of mana (not to mention starting ng+ you get a lot of mana potions)

there's man-spiders and a giant fly boss
other than that no

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom