• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
ex0G3qw.gif

Five Nights at Freddy's just looks horrifying. It's not enough that every web celeb on YouTube's gonna make a dog and pony show of it, the concept itself feeds on bad memories of Chuck E Cheese from the turn of the millennium. I'm not sure how much more complex it'll be compared to, say, a Slender game, but trying to avoid malcontent animatronic robots from the false safety of a security console sounds interesting. Here's hoping they port the app to Mac and Linux should it take off.

I remember Jim Sterling's commentary about the trailer, and honestly I sort of agree with the implied point that the enemies look creepier with the costumes. The costumes are actually sort of unsettling and creepy.

aku:jiki

Ok, so let me understand this: these visual novels are only about romance?

Or is there something more?
Many of them are about random depressing things too, but there's generally no reason to read them over a good old-fashioned book. Essentially, it's all just "because animu."

(I actually have read a number of them despite my trolling of the genre. I even own a physical copy of Kenji Eno's Real Sound!)

Paint > Photoshop
Paint.NET > Photoshop. I don't have to do gymnastics to get a transparent background when I remove stuff from an image like you do in Photoshop.
I would've bought DOA xtreme volleyball 2 as well, played the first game and never got the chance to play the second.
I own DOAX 1, but I've never played it. I picked it up when I was going nuts picking up Xbox games, but never got around to it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so all you yanks get a 3 day weekend correct?

AngerdX

Can´t belive the speed this thing is moving at...
AU7Amsc.gif

I leave from work get home, think i´ll check up on steamgaf and wham 20+ pages to go thru o_O

Now what to play heh Divinity or Sunless Sea or maybe some payday 2 or somthing completly diffrent heh

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
I would've bought DOA xtreme volleyball 2 as well, played the first game and never got the chance to play the second.

I'd honestly buy it if it somehow made it to Steam because I need to have something similar to Wave Race in my life now.

Wave Race, it's been too long :(

I remember Jim Sterling's commentary about the trailer, and honestly I sort of agree with the implied point that the enemies look creepier with the costumes. The costumes are actually sort of unsettling and creepy.
They'll have to make the sudden loss of costume more threatening, I think. If the robots are actually powerful and can kill you in one pass, then the costumes are just icing on the cake. This would make the most sense if, unlike in most Slender games, instant contact didn't mean instant death. I'd like to be able to at least block a first strike and get away.

Tellaerin

This is why I rarely post in here. Too much random. I get that you guys know each other really well now, but this place is pretty much just a Community thread most of the time with a few Steam moments here and there.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but what Steam-related news has dropped recently that people should be talking about now, but aren't? There's ongoing discussion of Steam-related subjects here - even this alpaca craze started because of news of a VN coming to Steam. What would your ideal Steam thread look like, exactly?

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
They'll have to make the sudden loss of costume more threatening, I think. If the robots are actually powerful and can kill you in one pass, then the costumes are just icing on the cake. This would make the most sense if, unlike in most Slender games, instant contact didn't mean instant death. I'd like to be able to at least block a first strike and get away.

I think that's one of the reasons why I prefer the monsters in something Amnesia to Slender. Enemies are way more menacing if it takes multiple hits to kill you instead of an instant death. There's a more sudden sense of having to defend yourself in Amnesia than in Slender, to me at least, although the only real defense you have in either game is running away/hiding.

Seems like a lot of people liked the speed and randomness of the sale thread and decided to continue with it in the regular thread.

The main thread was always a bit on the OT side, but we mostly got back on topic relatively quickly and it was definitely possible to follow topical discussions. Now, the thread is more about the people of "SteamGAF" and gifting/recieving gifts and circle-jerking and random shit. Pretty much a community thread/chat. And there's nothing wrong with a community thread, as long as there is another one which can be used for the purpose of talking about other things. Right now, everything is drowned in noise.

I think that's one of the reasons why I prefer the monsters in something Amnesia to Slender. Enemies are way more menacing if it takes multiple hits to kill you instead of an instant death. There's a more sudden sense of having to defend yourself in Amnesia than in Slender, to me at least.
Any amount of agency is preferable to that part of GTA III where the cops bust you even though you're armed to the teeth with an M-16 and ammo (not sure if it's any different in V, only just beat III).

We're not even supposed to be going this fast, usually. It's just that 'Murica's holding a bloc party and it has alpacas.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Seems like a lot of people liked the speed and randomness of the sale thread and decided to continue with it in the regular thread.

The main thread was always a bit on the OT side, but we mostly got back on topic relatively quickly and it was definitely possible to follow topical discussions. Now, the thread is more about the people of "SteamGAF" and gifting/recieving gifts and circle-jerking and random shit. Pretty much a community thread/chat. And there's nothing wrong with a community thread, as long as there is another one which can be used for the purpose of talking about other things. Right now, everything is drowned in noise.

this thread has been like this sicne ive known it for almost a year

the running joke that nobody plays games didnt come up because of the sale you know

zkylon

zkylewd
It's still surreal whenever I go to find an old post I've made in this thread through the "who posted" option and not seeing Jase at the top of the list. We've still got a lot of regulars posting, like Rhaknar-sama, Arthea, zkylon, Salsa, etc. though.

Good luck on that exam.

awww you thought about me <3

Caerith

posting this again...
any tips for Rogue Legacy?

I was reading that I should focus on one specific branch?

I didn't see this answered, but yeah. Each class plays pretty differently, but the first handful of classes you get (Paladin, Assassin, Barbarian King/Queen, Archmage) are relatively basic compared to some of the others and a good way to learn to play the game, get used to the physics, etc. Each life gives you three random classes-- if you only have four classes to choose from, you're more likely to get a class you know and are familiar with. Plus, you'll get more out of gold spent on stats everyone uses (health, attack, equipment weight, etc) instead of, well, some of the outlying unlocks.

The non-core classes are all great in their own way, don't get me wrong, but hold off unlocking them until you master the basics.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me

no fun.

You have to let some kinds of personality in or else it would just be reduced to media releases.

Arthea

Many of them are about random depressing things too, but there's generally no reason to read them over a good old-fashioned book. Essentially, it's all just "because animu."

(I actually have read a number of them despite my trolling of the genre. I even own a physical copy of Kenji Eno's Real Sound!)

and what are reasons of playing games? just curious

Rhaknar

Aeon Command has cards btw (again, key available in groupees build a bundle 6 and in indie royale debut 4 if you go to the desura client and check your collection)

posting this again...
any tips for Rogue Legacy?

I was reading that I should focus on one specific branch?

posting this again because i'm a lazy bastard :

second area is the forest (right), then the tower (up) and the darkness (down)

to get more money either be lucky or go farther than the last run really, learning the enemies patterns and how to position yourself is 80% of the job, by the time i finished the game i got hit once every 3 rooms and i had life leech (+ health drops every once in a while) so i pretty much was full health most of the time
if you're beggining try unlocking the hokage first, it's the class that will get you the farthest since it has good base damage right out of the bat (left area in your skill tree)
also get a vampire rune, helps with the survivability a bit

Rhaknar

on Rogue LEgacy. make sure you do a few (a lot? I did a lot) money runs.

As in do a run with the solo purpose of getting the max money possible, choose money gear and perks, and just go to every room in the first area (the easiest) and clear it all.

then buy upgrades and if needed do more money runs.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Reposting for the GMT Morning Crew.

Just wanting the spread the generosity around a little here, I've been on the receiving end of a great deal of giveaways here in the Steam thread and I've not always been in the best position to give back, I wanted to rectify that somewhat. Here you go, I will PM the winner to arrange gifting!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a game of your choice under $10 USD. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Any game you want under $10 -- MB-CA049E4519E43DCC - Taken by doctorcdcs. 1 entrants total. - Taken by HalfwayOrb. 120 entrants total.

t1404509733z1.png

aku:jiki

I didn't see this answered, but yeah. Each class plays pretty differently, but the first handful of classes you get (Paladin, Assassin, Barbarian King/Queen, Archmage) are relatively basic compared to some of the others and a good way to learn to play the game, get used to the physics, etc. Each life gives you three random classes-- if you only have four classes to choose from, you're more likely to get a class you know and are familiar with. Plus, you'll get more out of gold spent on stats everyone uses (health, attack, equipment weight, etc) instead of, well, some of the outlying unlocks.

The non-core classes are all great in their own way, don't get me wrong, but hold off unlocking them until you master the basics.
Barbarian and assassin seem to be the most highly-regarded classes around the internets. I prefer barbarian, the massive HP makes a much bigger difference than any other class trait IMO.

I don't know the exact path through the tree, but the upper-right quadrant of the castle holds an unlock that lets you reroll your characters. That one's a good one to go for ASAP, as are the gold-boosting upgrades. More money now means more upgrades faster!

and what are reasons of playing games? just curious
What, my personal reason for playing games?

zkylon

zkylewd
i always felt like the otness was a big part of the charm of the steam threads, specially since we're always like buying more games that we can play anyways

maybe it's a bit unbalanced right now after the sales craze but it'll go back to normal eventually and whining about it every two posts isn't really helping

i guess posting something like this doesn't help either so imma just say FIST OF AWESOME is a great name for a videogame

Another random FFXIV screenshot!
man why do they keep making subscription based mmos damnit

i just wanna play with the character creators

i wish they just sold those separately or something

Rhaknar

not entering but nice of you pizza dog. clearly you are the best dog

also, loldevs being lol:

"The keys are only for the Groupees bundle as that is the ONLY bundle where keys were ever offered. At the time that IndieRoyale offered AoSX in their bundle, there was no Steam version in existence, and it had not even been added to greenlight. Desura copies also do not come with keys, as they were never offered either. Retail puchases also do not apply

Please refrain from posting any more topics about keys, the issue is closed for discussion."

well thanks!

not that hes wrong, but many devs have included keys in bundles that pre-existed greenlight. so fuck you Suguri devs o7

that is not fair :( i wanted to buy TW3 from the Dealer here in gaf....

but the TI4 items looks wicked and i wanna buy em too :( summer sale baited me now :( GG

How often does humble do their bigger bundles? I didn't buy Rogue Legacy because as a fool I thought it would be in a bundle. Now I'm regretting my decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom