• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not 100% sure if this key will work, but feel free to try it if you don't own the game already.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Vanguard Princess -- MB-A1254BE5D8398125 - Taken by Htown

Arthea

dont play a witch in Divinity Original Sin either
I love my pet spider, hugs and kisses all around, shes so good

pet giant spiders
are the best! there is something we agree on, after all!
Also I'll probably wait with continuing Original Sin until they end patching it. It shouldn't take too long, updates are daily

aku:jiki

Your reasoning is fine, although constantly throwing nongame arguments is tiresome as not all people play games for the same reasons as you: some play for escapism, some for fun, some because it's different experience as a book (or movie, or anime).
I'll take fun over challenge any day, for example. Not saying that challenge can't be fun, it can, but as all working people, often after work I just want to relax, and games for relaxation are those you have unjust crusade against.
I read a lot actually, I don't think that VNs and reading a book is the same or VN is replaceable by a book. It's all matter of perspective and taste and habits.
My problem isn't with people who enjoy whatever they enjoy, I'm not out to rob anyone of that for any reason. My problem is the lazy idea that everything that's digital and requires a few button presses is a "game." There's nothing wrong with liking VNs, but I do take issue with referring to them as "games" that you "play." They're VNs that you read. Pac-Man is a game.

If it's on a console or PC and isn't a tool like Netflix or Excel, it gets called a "game" regardless of how little game there actually is. It confuses people who like games like I do, it makes it harder for fans of what I call non-games to find what they like and so on. There's no positive side to this intellectual laziness and I feel like we'd all be better off categorizing things after what they actually are, instead of lumping everything into the "games" bin.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
pet giant spiders
are the best! there is something we agree on, after all!
Also I'll probably wait with continuing Original Sin until they end patching it. It shouldn't take too long, updates are daily

ugh

<3

Jadax

too late

iJQ3Y9i1EoEAg.png

What's this theme?

Also - I must get DSII!! Winter Sale #1 buy

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
btw re6 is filled with them, right?

There are hybrids, and one's a human-spider hybrid boss. A boss with breasts, so you can be sexually confused and terrified at the same time.

There's a gif of a mutation into one of the normal hybrids out there from Chris' campaign.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
*wakes up*
*sees weird transformed sheep/llama avatars*
*goes back to bed*

its Alpacas, get it right it sir!

There are hybrids, and one's a human-spider hybrid boss. A boss with breasts, so you can be sexually aroused and terrified at the same time.

There's a gif of a mutation into one of the normal hybrids out there from Chris' campaign.

fixed

There are hybrids, and one's a human-spider hybrid boss. A boss with breasts, so you can be sexually confused and terrified at the same time.

Oh, there was absolutely no confusion going on there.

Would
probably get murdered by Lady Spider Laura Bailey.

zkylon

zkylewd

i just made the mistake of googling them and stumbling on some re1 spiders that are gonna come back in my sleep

usually don't mind human-spider mixes. it's all in the movement, the more realistic it is the worse

Kyougar

Since you folks are all about Long Live the Queen, I'mma recommend Princess Maker 2 instead.

end.gif

It's one of the earliest and most well-designed raising simulators, the premise being that, as a retired war-hero praised for defeating the prince of darkness, you're given custody of a heaven-born little girl whom you're required to parent. Different birthdates and attributes already effect how she'll behave as you prepare for her a monthly schedule of activities, ranging from farm work to practicing at an atelier. The game itself has tons of unique endings, great audiovisuals, some interesting challenges by late-game, and was the only game in the series to be professionally translated.

Takami Akai's pretty cool in general, being both the game's designer and a talented artist in his own right (animated Gainax's earliest stuff and did the artwork for these games).

where to get legally?

Arthea

My problem isn't with people who enjoy whatever they enjoy, I'm not out to rob anyone of that for any reason. My problem is the lazy idea that everything that's digital and requires a few button presses is a "game." There's nothing wrong with liking VNs, but I do take issue with referring to them as "games" that you "play." They're VNs that you read. Pac-Man is a game.

If it's on a console or PC and isn't a tool like Netflix or Excel, it gets called a "game" regardless of how little game there actually is. It confuses people who like games like I do, it makes it harder for fans of what I call non-games to find what they like and so on. There's no positive side to this intellectual laziness and I feel like we'd all be better off categorizing things after what they actually are, instead of lumping everything into the "games" bin.

but that's just it, aku, VNs are still games and one still plays them, or play with choices, solve problems and uncover secrets.
Why do you expect people to adjust to your sensibilities? It's not true that VNs require no effort. There are such that require very little, that's true, but most of them are games.
Don't see how that can confuse you, you don't like VNs, you don't play them, or pay attention to them. That's what I would do in your place. ;)

Reposting my giveaway

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

The Swapper -- MB-472FB2D996F96630 - Taken by Anustart. 10 entrants total.
Fez -- MB-1F45122319C5BB77 - Taken by Adnor. 3 entrants total.
Antichamber -- MB-43C1B108BE989938 - Taken by Evrain. 6 entrants total.

t1404467589z1.png

Rhaknar

No worries. I thought it'd get more attention that just four entries, haha, which is why I opted for a short raffle, but not to worry -- all that matters is that it found a home.

would be 5 if not for my
self imposed
blacklist

Sarobi

Banned
So I happen to come across a key for Goat Simulator that I don't need, and was wondering if someone just so happened to have a copy of Broforce that they don't need and would be interested in parting it for Goat sim >__>

zkylon

zkylewd

why do you give a shit what other people call games

also "it makes it harder for fans of what I call non-games to find what they like" makes no sense

there are exact names for these things, like visual novels, walking simulators, all that shit. it's easy.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

You might be trying to describe "kinetic novels," a subgenre of VN in which the player has no real interaction with the story.

Dingotech

I'm keen for a new proper Humble Bundle, do we have any idea when a new one may drop?

I've been playing some Resident Evil 4 since the sales, trying to get my monies worth before the next sale and cheaper price! XD

It's a pretty good release, some rough textures here and there but overall it seems to run really well and I'm certainly having fun with the game itself. The first time I've played it since the PS2 release.

Rhaknar

im strangely aroused impressed with Pork dropping dat VN knowledge beatdown, not gonna lie

zkylon

zkylewd
i dislike dear esther as much as the next gal but i find this thing of "unless you're shooting or jumping your thing isn't a game" business absolutely pointless

is planescape torment any more of a game because it has shitty combat sections?

c'mon people

Lets see. The reboot bundle looks okay.

you might wanna check this one too, unless you have better games already
http://www.indiegala.com/wind

Bought this already.

Btw. here is some game almost everyone already has I guess:

ModBot said:
Instructions for Chairmanchuck:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

Revenge of the Titans -- MB-6B90B0EF7CA37858

t1404466024z1.png

Teppic

Pretty sure this is an unused key.

ModBot said:

Rules for this Giveaway:

Volt -- MB-FB4BAD2705A10C8C - Taken by Catshade

aku:jiki

but that's just it, aku, VNs are still games and one still plays them, or play with choices, solve problems and uncover secrets.
Why do you expect people to adjust to your sensibilities? It's not true that VNs require no effort. There are such that require very little, that's true, but most of them are games.
Don't see how that can confuse you, you don't like VNs, you don't play them, or pay attention to them. That's what I would do in your place. ;)
Making a path choice leading to ending A, B or C is not enough to be a game. That's the digital equivalent to "choose your own adventure" books from the 80's. They always were and still are referred to as books. It's not at all about my personal preference, it's about being objectively logical. Referring to things that aren't games as "games" doesn't serve a logical purpose. I know some people mean for "non-games" to be an insult, but I'm an adult! I don't mind what you spend your time on. They objectively are non-games, though, and it's not a matter of personal opinion.

The frustrating part is sitting down at your computer, ready to have some discussions about games, only to open the thread and see everyone babbling about uninteresting and unrelated non-games. It's pretty much like opening the "what are you reading?" thread in OT and seeing a discussion about everyone's favorite music at the moment. It doesn't make sense and is disappointing when you wanted to discuss the actual subject of the thread.

You might be trying to describe "kinetic novels," a subgenre of VN in which the player has no real interaction with the story.
Well, if you guys want me to take the VN genre seriously, maybe stop using stupid names! The games I've played that were referred to as VN allowed little interaction where the only real input is essentially picking an ending through your actions.

For example, why did everyone insist on calling LLTQ a VN if it's actually a stat-based strategy game? That's pointless and unproductive!

Something like Ace Attorney falls under the category of visual novel, and it's definitely a game. Some visual novels feature more game mechanics, some feature less...same goes for Western adventure games, which range from Quest for Glory's CRPG-disguised-as-a-point-and-click concept to Telltale Games' recent output.

Of course, something like a sound novel is just going to end up pleasing no one but the VN fans anyway. It's not like most VNs have good writing to speak of, especially when their ulterior motive (at least back in Elf and JAST's glory days, before Windows came to Japan) is to ship erotic CGs.

Rhaknar

moltenCorgi.jpg

...well, fuck. You win again Blizzard, you win again :(

yes yes its OT >_<

edit: or not since aparently Rob Pardo just left Blizzard...damn, dude was there for like 15 years or more

kurahador

Making a path choice leading to ending A, B or C is not enough to be a game. That's the digital equivalent to "choose your own adventure" books from the 80's. They always were and still are referred to as books. It's not at all about my personal preference, it's about being objectively logical. Referring to things that aren't games as "games" doesn't serve a logical purpose. I know some people mean for "non-games" to be an insult, but I'm an adult! I don't mind what you spend your time on. They objectively are non-games, though, and it's not a matter of personal opinion.

Uhhh...those are called gamebook, which is still a game.
Is poker not a game but card puzzle?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm keen for a new proper Humble Bundle, do we have any idea when a new one may drop?

Nope. There were about four months between HIB9 and HIB10, but here we are, more than five months after the latter, and there's been no word.

zkylon

zkylewd

The frustrating part is sitting down at your computer, ready to have some discussions about games, only to open the thread and see everyone babbling about uninteresting and unrelated non-games. It's pretty much like opening the "what are you reading?" thread in OT and seeing a discussion about everyone's favorite music at the moment. It doesn't make sense and is disappointing when you wanted to discuss the actual subject of the thread.
it's very hard to debate with something as this

why is choosing a path not a game

is the decision making part of mass effect not a game?

you're not really being objective. you're drawing an arbitrary line based on your personal idea of what a game is. it's even worse to just say "ok people never called choose your own adventure books games so why should we call vn's games?". just because people in the past decided on something doesn't make it right

Well, if you guys want me to take the VN genre seriously, maybe stop using stupid names! The games I've played that were referred to as VN allowed little interaction where the only real input is essentially picking an ending through your actions.
c'mon dude, it's a genre born and bred in japan

For example, why did everyone insist on calling LLTQ a VN if it's actually a stat-based strategy game? That's pointless and unproductive!
i'm guessing this is because it's made with renpy i think which is a vn engine

edit: that goes to show, tho, that genres themselves are not a thing to bother taking too seriously and why this whole topic is kind of a waste of time

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
UFO: Extraterrestrials Gold seems to still be available from my giveaway yesterday, or at least if it's taken Modbot hasn't marked it as such. I guess give it a try if you want it, since it's first-come first-serve now.

Also, mornin' SteamGAF. Looks like I missed alpacas last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom