• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is it me or does Raiden sound just like Matthew Broderick in metal gear rising?

"We need a well-known American to voice Raiden for the western version of the game... how about popular actor Matthew Broderick?" sounds like a decision befitting of Konami. :p

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
It was ever popular voice actor Quinton Flynn, who's voice Raiden since MGS2, who played Raiden in Rising.

If he was channeling vibes for Rising though, who knows?

How pissed off will fans be if Raiden retains his VA but Snake was replaced?

Tektonic

Shinyloot 4th of July Sale:

Tower of Guns 4.99 (Steam)
Arcane Worlds (Alpha) 6.00 (Steam,Desura)
Super Trench Attack 2.00 (Desura OT)
Major Mayhem 1.00 (OT)
Naval War: Arctic Circle 5.00 (Steam)
Ring Runner 2.50 (Steam)
Victim of Xen 0.90 (Steam)
Children of the Nile Complete 2.50 (Steam)
Unhack 1.25 (Desura OT)
Reversion - The Meeting 1.50 (Desura OT)
Trauma 1.75 (OT)
Mystery Masters: Mystery Adventure Bundle 9.99 (OT)

OT if not Steam :) - Any of these any good? I own Ring Runner and it's got it's charm

Halo 2

Banned
Kind of a scrub question but if I delete local content I don't actually lose anything right? (save data wise)
I just want to uninstall / free up space.

Tektonic

Kind of a scrub question but if I delete local content I don't actually lose anything right? (save data wise)
I just want to uninstall / free up space.

just that install instance... don't delete the directory it leaves behind - it could contain your saves (and it won't save much space anyway)

MadGear

I pressed the Play button, then canceled the install window. Refreshed the page and it says that I own the game. But it's not listed in my library

Well its a F2P Title. You always own them but when not installed they don't show up in your library. Was the same for me with Warframe after I deinstalled it.

JaseC

I pressed the Play button, then canceled the install window. Refreshed the page and it says that I own the game. But it's not listed in my library

Yeah, I'm guessing that's some sort of bug/oversight related to how Steam was previously set to handle free content.

Halo 2

Banned
just that install instance... don't delete the directory it leaves behind - it could contain your saves (and it won't save much space anyway)

The save files are stored in different folder than the game folder. Use GameSave Manager to save your save files if you are unsure where to look

Thanks guys!
Helpful as always.

This GSM thing is amazing seriously thank you for bringing it to my attention.

JaseC

Well its a F2P Title. You always own them but when not installed they don't show up in your library. Was the same for me with Warframe after I deinstalled it.

Valve recently introduced a new sub type that sees free content tied to your account in much the same manner as it would have if you'd bought it, which is why your actual game count goes up upon initialising installation. I presume newer releases disappearing upon being uninstallated is simply a bug/oversight related to how Steam previously handled free content (save for that added using the free license system, e.g. Star Swarm).

MadGear

Valve recently introduced a new sub type that sees free content tied to your account in much the same manner as it would have if you'd bought it, which is why your actual game count goes up upon initialising installation. I presume newer releases disappearing upon being uninstallated is simply a bug/oversight related to how Steam previously handled free content (save for that added using the free license system, e.g. Star Swarm).

Oh, didn't know about this. But now that you mention it i still see Planetside 2 in my library even though i removed it a couple of days ago.

JaseC

Oh, didn't know about this. But now that you mention it i still see Planetside 2 in my library even though i removed it a couple of days ago.

That'd be because you own DLC for it. Valve implemented this change about a year ago, however the games still don't "count".

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
It's been this slow for years, it's not gunna change sadly. Make sure you be careful, a couple of people on this thread nearly got scammed trying to buy AMD keys off steamtrades.

:/ You wouldn't happen to have the name of the scammer would you? Or at least a link to the fiasco?

I've said this before, but Valve ought to make Steam Cloud mandatory going forward, especially since it requires no in-game integration like traditional Steamworks features.

I think Valve is too preoccupied with getting publishers and developers invested in the client.

JaseC

I've said this before, but Valve ought to make Steam Cloud mandatory going forward, especially since it requires no in-game integration like traditional Steamworks features.

That would require developers to actually pay attention to where they put their saves and their size. Right now saves can land up all over the place. My documents, the Steam game folder, the Windows game folder, somewhere in %appdata%, somewhere in Program Files and probably a few more I'm missing. Devs would probably whine about mandatory Steam cloud integration.

Tektonic

That would require developers to actually pay attention to where they put their saves and their size. Right now saves can land up all over the place. My documents, the Steam game folder, the Windows game folder, somewhere in %appdata%, somewhere in Program Files and probably a few more I'm missing. Devs would probably whine about mandatory Steam cloud integration.

if only though...

pahamrick

Man, my luck with the M&Ms deal has gone to hell. I think I can kiss goodbye getting enough wins for Dead Rising 3 or Witcher 3. No one in my circle of family / friends have had a single win since last Sunday.

JaseC

It'd be trivial, really. Steam Cloud is literally just telling Steam what files to back up and where they're located -- this is information a programmer could provide in a matter of minutes.

Deques

Games that are using Unity as game engine must be better with save files. There are none. They are stored in the registry for some reason. I don't think Steam Cloud can sync those :(

Putting information on where the save files are stored isn't difficult. Like JaseC said, it's just matter of minutes. Why would they whine. This is just pure laziness

Btw. Where the heck is the save file for Mechanic Escape stored? There is no information anywhere in the world wide web

JaseC

Games that are using Unity as game engine must be better with save files. There are none. They are stored in the registry for some reason. I don't think Steam Cloud can sync those :(

Well, naturally there'd be an option to forgo Steam Cloud for use in cases where a game has no actual files to back up (e.g. Indie Game: The Movie wouldn't exactly benefit from Steam Cloud support).

aku:jiki

As someone who just transferred a ton of saves from an old computer to a new one, yes please. Such a pain to find all the saves. Some games even spread themselves out across all of the folders you mentioned, putting random bits everywhere.

Well, naturally there'd be an option to forgo Steam Cloud for use in cases where a game has no actual files to back up (e.g. Indie Game: The Movie wouldn't exactly benefit from Steam Cloud support).
Amusingly enough, though, IGTM actually does create a save folder in AppData. I deleted it yesterday.

JaseC

Spares:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Pineapple Smash Crew -- MB-4AEB0AA9CCFACEE9 - Taken by Sarobi
Bionic Dues -- MB-A80A32E1D4384F4E - Taken by drakaenae
KnightShift -- MB-8D8E847A5D960F75 - Taken by dinopoke
Volt -- MB-8938425C4A29E83A - Taken by Saty
SOL: Exodus -- MB-BA157E588565443A - Taken by redlacs
Chime -- MB-D79EC59693772598 - Taken by Copons

Amusingly enough, though, IGTM actually does create a save folder in AppData. I deleted it yesterday.

Haha, curiouser and curiouser.

Sarobi

Banned
I'm trying to understand Steamtrade terms, but I get confused pretty easily. But is this right?

TF2 key = Manco key
DOTA = Treasure key
CS:GO = Weapon case
Ref = Refined metal

StAidan

Man, my luck with the M&Ms deal has gone to hell. I think I can kiss goodbye getting enough wins for Dead Rising 3 or Witcher 3. No one in my circle of family / friends have had a single win since last Sunday.

Heck, I've won once out of maybe 30 entries now. Maybe they reduced the win rate over the past week. In any case, no game cash for me in over a week now.

JaseC

I'm trying to understand Steamtrade terms, but I get confused pretty easily. But is this right?

TF2 key = Manco key
DOTA = Treasure key
CS:GO = Weapon case
Ref = Refined metal

Correct, assuming you meant "Weapon case key".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom