• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deques

GameSave Manager is your answer.
Definitely a life saver.

It's also risky to use as it doesn't support all games. But support does come later.

They still need to support Mechanic Escape :(

downloading now, i'll let you know. (otherwise, if using windows try taskmgr disk performance tab to see where it writes. or download filemon/regmon and filter by mechanic escape's exe

Would be great if you find the location

MadGear

You buy it in the uplay store. It doesn't have any uplay drm, just steamworks

It's the Steam version. For obvious reasons, Ubi doesn't like to advertise the fact that it sells Steam keys.

OK, then its a great offer. I was a bit surprised when i tried to launch Far Cry 3 directly through uPlay the other day, but instead it first launched Steam and Far Cry 3 afterwards. I thought that maybe this would be a reverse scenario :D

pahamrick

Heck, I've won once out of maybe 30 entries now. Maybe they reduced the win rate over the past week. In any case, no game cash for me in over a week now.

I think you're right, the exploit hit them pretty hard with people bragging they got over $1,000 worth. I shouldn't complain, M&Ms basically funded my whole summer sale but for someone who's been out of work due to health reasons a free DR3 is hard to resist. Still got a month to go unless they end the contest early, so there's still hope!

dex3108

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Starseed Pilgrim -- MB-6D9310896E5BEAB7 - Taken by Sendou. 3 entrants total.
HOARD -- MB-A6DDCB6DDFFC80D2 - Taken by bluechox2. 1 entrants total.
Beatbuddy: Tale of the Guardians -- MB-F4A4EA9F9402D62E
The Lord of the Rings: War in the North -- MB-C09819536DECDB0D - Taken by Indignate. 1 entrants total.

t1404488510z1.png

More HIB leftovers :D i will do another raffle later today. Also tell me if i you want me to put my Origin Bundle keys i don't need them.

Arthea

GameSave Manager is your answer.
Definitely a life saver.

I'm too lazy to use even that.
I'll leave my save files to their fate.

I actually should clean junk left after installing-uninstalling steam games, but for that I would need to do something, actually work after work. Where do I get will for that these days?

As to Jasec's suggestion, making thousands of devs to follow the same pattern is hardly doable, is it?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
OK, then its a great offer. I was a bit surprised when i tried to launch Far Cry 3 directly through uPlay the other day, but instead it first launched Steam and Far Cry 3 afterwards. I thought that maybe this would be a reverse scenario :D

Yeah, Uplay games in general and Steam versions of Uplay games are technically different apps and the latter must be launched through Steam as they're tied to individualised instances of the Uplay client.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
What am I supposed to say to that, though? I've laid out arguments for why they're not games; just replying "nope, they're games" is not an actual argument and not much to respond to.

Sounds more like you're stuck on the fact that some people use "non-game" as an insult while I don't, despite me having clarified that. It's just about different names for different things.
My post was actually focusing on your criticism of VN discussion here in this thread. You say they don't have a place here, while I say they do, because most people (amount pulled out of my ass) consider them proper games.

Then I said that comparing books to music and equating that to VNs and games isn't right. Books and music don't have anything to do with each other (and no one, in the whole history of the known universe, said they did), while VNs can (and in fact are) be catalogued as a genre of video games.

I know that it can be annoying when people talk about something you have zero interest in, and you don't want to talk about it. I didn't care at all for Dark Souls 2, and it was the hottest topic here during the weeks previous to its release. But I didn't ask that people stop talking about it, and instead went to browse other threads or play some of my games. Sooner or later someone will talk about something you want to discuss, and if they don't, you can initiate that discussion yourself.

And saying "It doesn't make sense and is disappointing when you wanted to discuss the actual subject of the [Steam] thread" makes no sense when there are VNs on Steam.

Copons

I'm too lazy to use even that.
I'll leave my save files to their fate.

Ahahah, actually it's the same for me. :D

I used GSM once when I bought the new PC, mostly to carry over saves of game I was playing. But since then, never launched it even once.

I guess I'll worry about it when my HDD will fail or something. :'(

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Visual Novel deserves some talk here as any genre of PC games. There are Visual Novels on Steam, and more coming to Steam, and they're games, though obviously don't appeal to everyone.

I still await the day Saya no Uta is announced for Steam.

EDIT: Also if anyone cares to try and make an Alpa picture for my avatar, I'll gladly use it. Though don't go out of your way if its a hassle.

Chariot

Visual Novel deserves some talk here as any genre of PC games. There are Visual Novels on Steam, and more coming to Steam, and they're games, though obviously don't appeal to everyone.

I still await the day Saya no Uta is announced for Steam.
Do you think they would let this kind of Visual Novel on steam. I rather seeing Ever 17 or Clannad.
Then again, they greenlighted Higurashi. Though we have yet to see something out of it.

Deques

I used GSM once when I bought the new PC, mostly to carry over saves of game I was playing. But since then, never launched it even once.

Just make a scheduled task and you never need to bother with it again. I have it run once a day and sync it to my dropbox

JaseC

As to Jasec's suggestion, making thousands of devs to follow the same pattern is hardly doable, is it?

I don't think so. Assuming Valve could automate things on its end with the app submission form, it'd literally be a matter of just typing in the location of the folder where the saves are located and (if necessary) the particular filenames (e.g. Save*.sav to grab Save001.sav, Save002.sav, Save003.sav and so on from a folder that also contains other files).

Arthea

Gifting Drama, then talk abotu various games, both released and upcoming. Also talk about pets in games.

until I forgot.
I vaguely remember you writing about Miasmata, can you summarize a little: is this game good, scary, interesting, good story?
and what do you think about Spate?

Thanks in advance!

Dusk Golem

Do you think they would let this kind of Visual Novel on steam. I rather seeing Ever 17 or Clannad.
Then again, they greenlighted Higurashi. Though we have yet to see something out of it.

Higurashi is taking longer because they're fully re-translating the game for the Steam release to be closer to the original Japanese.

And they probably would. Valve recently added an Adult category on Steam.

I wake up and read some pages from where I last read to see you all playing Skullgirls, just wait until I can play again I'll wreck you all with my Squigly/Big Band/
Bad connection
team.
Not really I suck

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
15 minute call just to confirm if my new card had been sent, including asking me my id, fiscal and social security, birthday and phone number, and of course bank account

motherfucker, even if this wasnt me, why would a fake me want to know if a fucking card had or hadnt been sent to the real me?

this is why banks are robbed, not because of the money, its revenge for incompetence

bank-robbery-o.gif

JaseC

Higurashi is taking longer because they're fully re-translating the game for the Steam release to be closer to the original Japanese.

There's no adult category... yet.

Arthea

oh I used various means for my save files backups, including manual, when I was much younger. Nowdays I don't do anything, I absolutely have to (><)
unless it's playing games, reading or having fun in general, as posting on gaf, for example

I don't think so. Assuming Valve could automate things on its end with the app submission form, it'd literally be a matter of just typing in the location of the folder where the saves are located and (if necessary) the particular filenames (e.g. Save*.sav to grab Save001.sav, Save002.sav, Save003.sav and so on from a folder that also contains other files).

I see your point, but also I'm not sure it is that simple.

15 minute call just to confirm if my new card had been sent, including asking me my id, fiscal and social security, birthday and phone number, and of course bank account

motherfucker, even if this wasnt me, why would a fake me want to know if a fucking card had or hadnt been sent to the real me?

this is why banks are robbed, not because of the money, its revenge for incompetence

bank-robbery-o.gif

There's a Nigerian prince joke in here somewhere.

derExperte

Get back to me when there's an Alpaca Simulator with Flappy Alpaca in it, until then I hope you only talk about those stupid things while I'm asleep. Goats are still the real GOATs.

So I...errr I mean some heartless criminal can wait at your front door until the delivery arrives, then shoot everyone in the face and run off with the card.

JaseC

I see your point, but also I'm not sure it is that simple.

Here's how Steam Cloud currently works:

Code:
Array
(
    [quota] => 100 MB (104857600)
    [maxnumfiles] => 1000
    [savefiles] => Array
        (
            [1] => Array
                (
                    [root] => WinMyDocuments
                    [path] => My games/Borderlands 2/WillowGame/SaveData/{64BitSteamID}
                    [pattern] => profile.bin
                    [platforms] => Array
                        (
                            [1] => Windows
                        )

)

[2] => Array
                (
                    [root] => WinMyDocuments
                    [path] => My games/Borderlands 2/WillowGame/SaveData/{64BitSteamID}
                    [pattern] => Save*.sav*
                    [platforms] => Array
                        (
                            [1] => Windows
                        )

)

[3] => Array
                (
                    [root] => MacAppSupport
                    [path] => Borderlands 2/WillowGame/SaveData/{64BitSteamID}
                    [pattern] => profile.bin
                    [platforms] => Array
                        (
                            [1] => MacOS
                        )

)

[4] => Array
                (
                    [root] => MacAppSupport
                    [pattern] => Save*.sav.bak
                    [platforms] => Array
                        (
                            [1] => MacOS
                        )

)

[5] => Array
                (
                    [root] => MacAppSupport
                    [pattern] => Save*.sav
                    [platforms] => Array
                        (
                            [1] => MacOS
                        )

)

)

)

It'd be relatively easy to implement the above data types into the app submission form.

Dusk Golem

bank-robbery-o.gif

This is somewhat unrelated, but if you haven't seen the film Heat, you should do so. The scene in Dark Knight you posted and the PayDay series is heavily inspired by that film, and it has some wonderful heist scenes.

Arthea

you should just ditch this bank of yours. I get multiple messages when my cards are ready and never moved even a finger, only to go and get them. It does take about 10 days to get a new card, though.

Here's how Steam Cloud currently works:

Code:

It'd be relatively easy to implement the above data types into the app submission form.

You've proven your point. It does seem doable.

JaseC

It's still being implemented, but on certain games it now warns you when entering their Steam page that the game is for adult audiences (Killer is Dead and Rust have this at the moment).

I'm assuming this is something that appears sporadically as I just visited the store pages of both games while not logged in and only received the usual age gate for Rust in particular.

Chariot

EDIT: Also if anyone cares to try and make an Alpa picture for my avatar, I'll gladly use it. Though don't go out of your way if its a hassle.
jVgIBbpGSdvBl.png

Awesome and awesome. Are we getting the PS2 graphics too?
Fantastic I am jobless. Ugh.
Hope you get get back on something soon.

Hugstable

Banned
Where can I get ahold of the trader Dunder everyone was talking about yesterday? Finally got enough to get me a W3 key through paypal if he still has them for 16$

Also good morning SteamGAF

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
My post was actually focusing on your criticism of VN discussion here in this thread. You say they don't have a place here, while I say they do, because most people (amount pulled out of my ass) consider them proper games.

Then I said that comparing books to music and equating that to VNs and games isn't right. Books and music don't have anything to do with each other (and no one, in the whole history of the known universe, said they did), while VNs can (and in fact are) be catalogued as a genre of video games.

I know that it can be annoying when people talk about something you have zero interest in, and you don't want to talk about it. I didn't care at all for Dark Souls 2, and it was the hottest topic here during the weeks previous to its release. But I didn't ask that people stop talking about it, and instead went to browse other threads or play some of my games. Sooner or later someone will talk about something you want to discuss, and if they don't, you can initiate that discussion yourself.

And saying "It doesn't make sense and is disappointing when you wanted to discuss the actual subject of the [Steam] thread" makes no sense when there are VNs on Steam.

Yeah I tend to leave when the content gets unbearable. Like when everyone started posting the Alpaca images and GIFs.

If I stay I usually turn off images so I can avoid the innumerable images, and quoting, that follows.

HuniePop is releasing on Steam uncut. I will leave it to your discretion to look for the relevant media if you wish.

Fantastic I am jobless. Ugh.

Sorry for the bad turn of events. Hope you find a new, better job soon.

Dusk Golem

until I forgot.
I vaguely remember you writing about Miasmata, can you summarize a little: is this game good, scary, interesting, good story?
and what do you think about Spate?

Thanks in advance!

I have many thoughts on many games.

Haven't played Spate yet, but Miasmata. Do you want a survival game on an island? Since this is a pretty good one. You have a disease you need to create temporary cures for to prolong, and can navigate the island, but it's tricky as it's lush, layered, and easy to get lost in. They pay attention to a lot of small things, and makes things more interesting because of it. Like the effects the environment has on your character or how you slow down a bit and come to a stop when you stop running as you need to stop your momentum.

I'd call it a good island survivor simulator, if that's what you want to play. It's horror element is a bit underplayed, but it can be tense to walk around at night or to have to think fast as you're chased by something. I'd say more suspense than horrifying. The story has some good hidden depth into it as it slowly reveals itself over the course of the game, and I'd say is enjoyable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom