• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enco

I never played CIv V online, was it really bad? A Star Wars conversion mod could be amazing.
It's absolutely horrendous.

No idea how the devs allowed it to be released in that state and how they never bothered to fix it.

Constant connection drops, lag late game, constant reloading for everyone that takes minutes, a shitty private mode that reverts to public after every reload so you can never play privately longer than the first session and general unstability.

Still played it but if the new Civ is the same, I definitely won't buy it.

Probably the worst and least stable online game I've ever played.

Hugstable

Banned
It's absolutely horrendous.

No idea how the devs allowed it to be released in that state and how they never bothered to fix it.

Constant connection drops, lag late game, constant reloading for everyone that takes minutes, a shitty private mode that reverts to public after every reload so you can never play privately longer than the first session and general unstability.

Still played it but if the new Civ is the same, I definitely won't buy it.

Probably the worst and least stable online game I've ever played.

Can't be worse than BF4 and Sim City Launches

After ca. 6 hours I think it's fine to share my feelings about Battlefield 3.

Having played MP the last time over 10 years ago I have to say things changed quite a bit. There are tons of upgrades which unlock based upon your play-style. If you choose to be an engineer with a shotgun, you'll slowly acquire new perks, weapon mods, skins etc. This is addictive. As I think about the time and xp I already gained in a certain class with a certain weapon, I stopped changing classes and load-outs willy-nilly but started specializing.
Older games which I played were very different in that regard. In Unreal Tournament there were no classes and no upgrading. Everyone started the same and ended the same. This lead to constant weapon changes as I adapted to different players. It was completely skill-based.
In BF3 many unlocks do give advantages, like sights, flashlights, sprint. Skilled players do of course still have advantages but for newcomers it can be disheartening to "lack" many unlocks.
Still I enjoyed my time but I think I am playing not tactical enough. Here's the scoreboard from a deathmatch yesterday.
it277FBLjseIs.png

In comparison to all others I died an awful lot. But rushing into battle is very satisfying. This is funny because usually I take my time in games, make a plan and try to carry it out surgically. Real-life adversaries do behave faster, more precise and smarter than AI, so that's maybe the reason why I unwillingly abandoned my play-style.

One thing what I'd like though is an addition of bots. This way I could get to know the weapons, vehicles and maps better. Also, there is something relaxing in brutally overwhelming AI npcs, it would be so enjoyable to use Battlefields possibilities against them.

I need to try the co-op missions sometime. Sounds like a change.

Mokoi

Banned
After ca. 6 hours I think it's fine to share my feelings about Battlefield 3.

Having played MP the last time over 10 years ago I have to say things changed quite a bit. There are tons of upgrades which unlock based upon your play-style. If you choose to be an engineer with a shotgun, you'll slowly acquire new perks, weapon mods, skins etc. This is addictive. As I think about the time and xp I already gained in a certain class with a certain weapon, I stopped changing classes and load-outs willy-nilly but started specializing.
Older games which I played were very different in that regard. In Unreal Tournament there were no classes and no upgrading. Everyone started the same and ended the same. This lead to constant weapon changes as I adapted to different players. It was completely skill-based.
In BF3 many unlocks do give advantages, like sights, flashlights, sprint. Skilled players do of course still have advantages but for newcomers it can be disheartening to "lack" many unlocks.
Still I enjoyed my time but I think I am playing not tactical enough. Here's the scoreboard from a deathmatch yesterday.
it277FBLjseIs.png

In comparison to all others I died an awful lot. But rushing into battle is very satisfying. This is funny because usually I take my time in games, make a plan and try to carry it out surgically. Real-life adversaries do behave faster, more precise and smarter than AI, so that's maybe the reason why I unwillingly abandoned my play-style.

One thing what I'd like though is an addition of bots. This way I could get to know the weapons, vehicles and maps better. Also, there is something relaxing in brutally overwhelming AI npcs, it would be so enjoyable to use Battlefields possibilities against them.

I need to try the co-op missions sometime. Sounds like a change.

I used to play BF3 a lot on console, and moving to PC was so much better. Having to get my favorite guns unlocked was such a pain though. Its sucks dropping down from rank 48 to 11. I also rush a lot when playing. It's really satisfying when you survive after doing that.

Dr Dogg

Ok just knocked out the first 'stage' of Shovel Knight. Yep definitely getting MegaMan vibes for the traversal but combat so far really has me thinking of DuckTales as well. And Blimey O'Reilly is the music good, I mean realllly good. So after facing off against the first boss I get some Golden Axe inter stage like vibe before a world map appears and then the next point along the path is a village and I'm reminded of Zelda II and Castlvania II: Simon's Quest! I'm giggling with nostalgia here and I've only played 30 mins!

Oh and here's some pics (we all like pics don't we)

UncleBiz

Ok just knocked out the first 'stage' of Shovel Knight. Yep definitely getting MegaMan vibes for the traversal but combat so far really has me thinking of DuckTales as well. And Blimey O'Reilly is the music good, I mean realllly good. So after facing off against the first boss I get some Golden Axe inter stage like vibe before a world map appears and then the next point along the path is a village and I'm reminded of Zelda II and Castlvania II: Simon's Quest! I'm giggling with nostalgia here and I've only played 30 mins!

it's so pretty.. i'm counting on m&ms so i can get it soon

I concur. I actually have to stop myself from playing Civ V because I know that, once I start, nothing else will get done in terms of work, other games or anything else IRL. I've put a, comparatively, modest 200+ plus hours into Civ V over the couple of years I owned it but that's easily enough time to justify the full RRP of every bit of content.

I was bit by the Civ V bug during the summer in which Gods & Kings was released so I started with the GOTY edition and then picked up Gods & Kings in a 75% off Seal. I bought Brave New World on launch because I knew that I'd get my money's worth even if I paid to £20 RRP. Ultimately I got BNW for about £8 thanks to Dunder which sweetened the deal.

With this in mind, I'll happily buy Beyond Earth on launch and spend a good deal of the Autumn playing it. I'm not keen on the idea of day one DLC and I'm disappointed to see it in BE, even if it is free with pre-orders. Nonetheless, I'm very much looking forward to BE and I'm happy that Arkham Knight was pushed back to 2015, and most Wii U titles are being released in 2015, because it means that I can afford to get lost in BE.

I understand entirely. I bought Civ V vanilla back during a sale as well and sunk a monstrous amount of time into it. Liked it so much I bought all of Vanilla's DLC during another sale, sunk even more time. I think it was around 400 hours before Gods & Kings came out. I picked up both expansions full price when they came out and so far they've added another 700 hours and counting. I buy games, install them, think about playing them and then just play Civ V instead.

Indeed. The nature of Civ lends itself to that kind of content expansion. This isn't like a Batman or Borderlands game where they're adding more narrative content. They're actively changing systems and adding new ways to play the game based on years of feedback from the community.

Exactly. I love using Korea, one of the DLC Civs, for science victory playthroughs and the game has changed so much from when they were added in Civ V vanilla to Gods & Kings and then again in Brave New World. I paid 5$ for Korea and its scenario (which I've only played once) and have probably gotten more hours out of that 5$ than I do most full blown 60$ games. The game continues to change, occasional minor updates with patches and major changes with expansions.

ok. go nuts

Thanks for this in-depth response, I really understand your position now. It's conversations like this that keep me coming back to these Steam threads.

Well I'm back from grabbing a bite to eat. Gonna go try out Risk of Rain that I got from Vlad's(<3) giveaway a few days back. :)

Ugh that sucks, I hate people like that. You're right, she should know better if she works at the mall. It's very frustrating when people keep coming in when you're already supposed to be closed. I hope your next shift goes a lot better.

Reminds me of a situation when I worked at Gamestop. I was opening the store, working on the putting new prices on the stuff that changed and someone called the store. I answer it and there is a woman on the other end screaming at me. After a few minutes of that she said someone at my store had recommended one of those crappy third party coolers for the 360 and that it had started on fire (makes sense why she was upset at least).

I knew that wasn't true because everyone who worked there hated those things but she insisted it was my store. I apologized and asked if she had the receipt so I could look up the transaction and talk to my manager about it. Of course she didn't have it and screamed at me for another 5 minutes blaming me for the entire situation even though I've never recommended one of those in my life (and actively tried to dissuade people from buying them).

She ended up asking for my name, the number for the district manager, screamed at me for a couple minutes more and she hung up. I called my manager and explained the situation and went on with my day. That afternoon my manager calls and said it turns out it wasn't our store that sold it (shocker).

Gotta love working retail haha.
oh no. This is why I can't work retail, I'm not going to be someone's punching bag, especially since not only it wasn't you that recommend it, she didn't even have a receipt to put the blame on the store. screw that, I would've retaliated. Its why my last job was a stock boy in a grocery store. :3

Can't wait to buy Shovel Knight and Freedom Planet, they bring back that nostalgic feel so hard.

Hugstable

Banned
Oh man, that last stage in Shovel Knight drove me nuts. Great game overall, and dat soundtrack sogood.gif

Im loving the music in Tinker Knights stage right now. So much of this OST is godlike, even the music tracks for fighting the minibosses on the field have their own music tracks. <3 Shovel Knight

Never even played WoW and I sort of want to now just for this.

ind-2-pc.jpg
ind-3-pc.jpg

I thought the art looked sort of different when I watched the trailer. Naomi's and Saeko's portraits just remind me of:

ezVWO2m.jpg

Ugggguu

Jadax

Is it really that great? I'm not doubting it, just that when Rogue Legacy came out, everyone was going bananas over that. Before that, same thing with Spelunky.

As a person who has not played any of the games you mentioned in your post, will I be able to enjoy this game?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
everyone that didnt participate in the ALPACALYPSE is dead to me

bunch of traitors! :(

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Is it really that great? I'm not doubting it, just that when Rogue Legacy came out, everyone was going bananas over that. Before that, same thing with Spelunky.

As a person who has not played any of the games you mentioned in your post, will I be able to enjoy this game?

Rogue Legacy and Spelunky are both legitimately great though. The GAF-hype wasn't unfounded for either of them (especially Spelunky).

And yeah, Shovel Knight is pretty wonderful.

Genki

I think it's quite good. Very charming to be sure. But among indie faux retro games it's quite far below Volgarr the Viking in my estimation so far. Instakill pits\hazards are the only source of challenge for one.

aku:jiki

You've never played Megaman, Golden Axe, DuckTales, Zelda 2 or Castlevania?

kzfkrA9.gif

Dr Dogg

it's so pretty.. i'm counting on m&ms so i can get it soon

Can't wait to buy Shovel Knight and Freedom Planet, they bring back that nostalgic feel so hard.

Yep defiantly shows that good pixel art is timeless. Sadly I'm off out in a bit but I think I've got a good weekend gaming selection ahead.

For me yes but that's due to my level of attachment to the games I mentioned (hence why I referenced them specifically). Seeing as this is just me gushing after 30 mins I'd say pop over to the OT to get some further impressions (and Stumps earlier in the thread). Nostalgia though is playing a big part for me though so do bear that in mind as I have no idea how attached you'd be to those type of games.

Anteater

RE6 is kind of long, I just got to ch5 in Leon's campaign. Playing as helena in coop and watching leon getting his ass kicked is hilarious.

That girl from the beginning look like Elizabeth from BioShock Infinite 0.o

Seriously.. Retail is terrible. Thank god I'm not working at Walmart. I can only imagine the shits that's going on there everyday. If any GAF work there. My condolences.

Working in retail taught me two things:

1. Always be as nice a customer as possible
2. Always be as nice a customer as possible

I really think that everyone should have to work in retail for at least the duration of a summer vacation before leaving school.

Jadax

Rogue Legacy and Spelunky are both legitimately great though. The GAF-hype wasn't unfounded for either of them (especially Spelunky).

I expect it's more fun with friends. I played it on my friends comp. and didn't enjoy it solo.

I think it's quite good. Very charming to be sure. But it's quite far below Volgarr the Viking in my estimation so far. Instakill pits\hazards is the only source of challenge for one.

Will give it a whirl if I can trade for it decently.

You've never played Megaman, Golden Axe, DuckTales, Zelda 2 or Castlevania?

kzfkrA9.gif

I honestly haven't. I began my gaming with Starcraft 1, NFS II SE, and never even heard of these games till 2-3 years back.

Firebrand

Double Dragon Neon turned out to be kind of fun, until level 6 when shit got really hard. :O Also terrible netcode, noticable input delay, projectiles teleporting and missing sound effects.

The voice acting and art stuff fr the PC Corpse Party release is kind of a turnoff, personally. The art looks so.... gross. I want it anyway, but it's still kind of a downer.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
why is the thread so slow today? i go away and nobody talks? fuck you guys

Ibuki

Banned
I want to talk but I'm at work and apparently it's frowned upon to go on the Internet on your phone while working retail. Who knew?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom