• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have a D0 revision those can easily overclock to 3.6-4.0 with barely any other changes.

Not sure what that is or where to start with Overclocking. I finally just started installing my own PC parts kind of recently (only a video card and a harddrive) and have never built my own rig. I plan on it for my next one, but that doesn't mean anything till I actually do it. Basically, I'm a noob that wants to learn.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=msi+gtx+760&N=-1&isNodeId=1

one of these two is my graphic card. HALP PCGAF. how is this going to stack up to all the AAA games coming out. mostly Witcher 3, Mordor and Sherlock Holmes.
Well, for instance, the recommended spec for Mordor lists a 660, which your card is faster than by a decent bit, moreso if it's overclocked. Witcher 3 there aren't any specs for yet, and Sherlock Holmes doesn't have any either. So I dunno for certain. Mordor you'll be fine, Witcher 3 will probably be a mix of settings leaning towards high with mediums on shader-based stuff like shadows and whatnot, and Sherlock Holmes you'll probably be gravy on as well.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I fear for my GTX 650 soon.

How do you even pay Grimind?

I started it up and I was able to move the cursor around the screen while a flame flickered. The cursor moved so fast that I couldn't really settle on anything.

I tried clicking everywhere, pressing every button on my keyboard and controller, nothing.

Find the "grab" button and start holding it. Just about the entire game really, just keep holding it.
To get out, just move to the left. In case the game is bugged early on, jump constantly while moving to the left and eventually you'll get out.

The pointer is just there to aim for much of the game and control the camera, don't focus on it until the game makes you. It really is a basic platformer beyond that.

tylerf

I'm more worried about the future of my CPU which is a phenom 955. Upgrading the mobo and cpu would just be so expensive though. It scares me away.

Shadownet

Banned
I think the 760 is about 50% more powerful than the 560Ti, which is what I have. You'll probably be fine?

Ha a 760 should be fine

Your PC will probably still outperform the console version if that is what you're worried about. You probably won't be able to max them though.

Well, for instance, the recommended spec for Mordor lists a 660, which your card is faster than by a decent bit, moreso if it's overclocked. Witcher 3 there aren't any specs for yet, and Sherlock Holmes doesn't have any either. So I dunno for certain. Mordor you'll be fine, Witcher 3 will probably be a mix of settings leaning towards high with mediums on shader-based stuff like shadows and whatnot, and Sherlock Holmes you'll probably be gravy on as well.

so many sexy answers <3 thanks for putting my mind at ease SteamGAF. You guys are the best group of people I've been with since high school theatre.

----

on a side note after playing the PS$ and then PC games. I find it hard to look at any PS3 games. it's painful.

Speevy

Banned
I fear for my GTX 650 soon.

Find the "grab" button and start holding it. Just about the entire game really, just keep holding it.
To get out, just jump to the left constantly, eventually you'll get out of there toward a lighted area.

The pointer is just there to aim for much of the game and control the camera, don't focus on it until the game makes you.

I guess it isn't working for me. I pressed and held every button on the controller. Just a logo.

I'll look up this issue to see what I'm doing wrong. Thanks.

Ventara

You guys are reminding me of the times I used to play Dragon Age Origins on my laughably weak laptop. It was seriously like 1 frame every few seconds with constant freezes. Can't believe I put up with that.

Shadownet

Banned
You guys are reminding me of the times I used to play Dragon Age Origins on my laughably weak laptop. It was seriously like 1 frame every few seconds with constant freezes. Can't believe I put up with that.

oh shit me too! on my crappy HP laptop that would burn my skin after 10 mins. those days...
i never wanna go back to.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I remember maxing out the first Unreal on my family's Win95 machine -- you could literally see each individual frame cascading down the monitor.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
My laptop used to run everything on high until the screen fucked up. (Displays fine on HDMI but now sent to fix)

JaseC

Lets never mention HP laptops again. Pieces of crap. At least the older ones

My current one heats up like an oven. Just as well I have headphones as I otherwise can't stand the bloody thing once the fans kick in.

Hugstable

Banned
oh shit me too! on my crappy HP laptop that would burn my skin after 10 mins. those days...

Lol this can't be coincidence, before I built my PC with the Radeon 6870, I played Dragon Age Origins on my old Dell Laptop at all low settings. I had one of those little fans you place your laptop on just for this game and Portal 2.

Three of us having DAO experience on Laptops that's funny.

iosefe

My current one heats up like an oven. Just as well I have headphones as I otherwise can't stand the bloody thing once the fans kick in.
I might be sterile now
o.o

At least their desktops aren't really bad. Could do with a purge of the oem software

JaseC

I might be sterile now
o.o

At least their desktops aren't really bad. Could do with a purge of the oem software

Yeah, I've never bought a pre-built desktop, but the first thing I do after buying a laptop is reinstall Windows.

Ventara

Yeah, mine was an HP Pavillion. The bottom would get so hot at times. It even smoked and sparked a few times. Monitor light eventually died, though, and the only way I could see anything was to hold a super bright light to the screen.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I guess it isn't working for me. I pressed and held every button on the controller. Just a logo.

I'll look up this issue to see what I'm doing wrong. Thanks.

Oh wait, I thought you meant the very first part of the game. Are you saying you are stuck the initial start menu? In that case move the cursor/mouse over to NEW GAME (directly on the words) and press the X button (for Xbox 360 controller, or the equivalent of that) to confirm that selection and start up the game.

Sajjaja

My terrible HP laptop got me my tag! Though it was a piece of shit and fuck HP for that shitty cooling.

Mine did at like 10/15 fps. Hell, it's one of the two games I can't get a playable framerate in, no mather the settings. The other one is GTA IV.

The Witcher 2 was't optimized that great =/

JaseC

Lol at the dirty poors without 780 Tis/880Ms
I played the Witcher 2 at around 15-25 FPS when it came out(never again)

My first experience with Quake 3 was on a P200/48 MB RAM/12MB Voodoo 2 system It was... less than ideal.

Jørdan

So what games do you play besides Starcraft 1 and Doom 2?

*sucks air through teeth* Ooh, now that would require an upgrade.

Might do a benchmark for the laugh and morbid curiosity. Surprisingly they are still quite capable, I'll rattle of a list of played games at the higher end.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

So another old game is coming to Steam. Gold Rush! was originally released back in 1988 by Sierra. It's an old adventure game that's kind of good.

Toki767

I cry every night wishing I had enough kidneys to sell to afford enthusiast-class hardware.

I think part of me that holds myself back from buying the very best stuff is because I know there's just always something newer and better along the way. Better off buying the mid-tier $250-300 stuff and just update when necessary.

I think part of me that holds myself back from buying the very best stuff is because I know there's just always something newer and better along the way. Better off buying the mid-tier $250-300 stuff and just update when necessary.
Yeah, that's may general attitude too. Although I think I really want to wait for that sweet spot in hardware that will let me coast along for a few years. Dunno when that will roll along.

I cry every night wishing I had enough kidneys to sell to afford enthusiast-class hardware.

Luckily you have at least one organ you can sell again and again.

Once you buy a higher end video card upgrading usually isn't too bad. I had my 670 for more than a year and a half and I sold it for 230 dollars, making the used 780Ti I bought only 340

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom