• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

One things that I admire Ubisoft for is how they cross-subsidize their games. They still release some annually like AC, but also (lately) producing not-so-high-profile games like Valiant Hearts and Child of Light. I wished more big publisher do this.

I've always wondered why more large publishers don't do this.

You have enough money for 600 person development teams, why not budget for 20 more to do another game with a smaller scope. The budget hit would be nearly negligible and the publisher could end up with another lucrative series under their control. Rife for exploitation.

Salsa

feels so good going back to Metro with the dim on uninstalled

iblE0dxNRnIS0f.png

cant believe I used AIR for a while

I blame grief

We only got blu-ray last gen because the format had just launched(players still went for 400 dollars plus when the PS3 launched) and obviously Nintendo had no need for it with the Wii. Both the Xbox One and PS4 use it now. Keep in mind the 360 launched before blu-ray was a thing, they couldn't exactly switch formats at that point.

And optical drives for PCs at this point are a relatively niche product. No reason to use put pc games on blu-ray when digital distribution is the main resource for games.

And blu-rays are incredibly cheap compared to DVDs(very few companies overcharge now outside of anime companies) and the rewritable ones aren't that pricey either when you consider the amount of storage you are getting.

I'm pretty sure Microsoft was part of the group that backed HD-DVD and if it hadn't been a timing and cost issue, the 360 might've had an HD DVD drive, not blu-ray. The 360 had an external HD DVD drive/player that was around for about 2 years before it was discontinued when the format basically died.

I'm pretty sure Microsoft was part of the group that backed HD-DVD and if it hadn't been a timing and cost issue, the 360 might've had an HD DVD drive, not blu-ray. The 360 had an external HD DVD drive/player that was around for about 2 years before it was discontinued when the format basically died.

Yeah, there was the whole format war but hddvd addon came out after the 360 launched in response to the PS3 having blu-ray built in. When the 360 came out it was locked to 720P/1080i. First models didn't have HDMI support.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Damn man, I've been skimming looking for your quote posts to get updates.

Luckily it doesn't look like I've missed much Steam discussion.
Good to see that quite a few actually liked them xD
Maybe I'll do a fast skim through the thread tomorrow...

I've always wondered why more large publishers don't do this.

You have enough money for 600 person development teams, why not budget for 20 more to do another game with a smaller scope. The budget hit would be nearly negligible and the publisher could end up with another lucrative series under their control. Rife for exploitation.
I think a few devs do that, and some do that with a spin: IIRC Ubisoft did mention once that all the Petz garbage that they do is used to fund a lot of their other actually interesting games.

feels so good going back to Metro with the dim on uninstalled

iblE0dxNRnIS0f.png

cant believe I used AIR for a while

I blame grief
Metro > *

Grief.exe

has what?

im saying AIR is super god damn slow when scrolling

has the search on a shitty place

doesnt show your online status on friends chat

has a terrible barebones overlay

metro4lyfe

You can edit all of that, read the readme file.

except the slow scrolling

I use Metro, too. But I can't find out how to have zero space between tiles. How do you dim? Asked earlier but got buried.

You also need to check the readme file, I'd imagine turning that on is buried in there.

Here for spacing: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=95592367&postcount=70

how do you make the games show the little icons to the left of their name when you're using Steam Air? I remember doing it once ages ago on the default steam skin but I can't figure out how to do it on this one.

Grief.exe

how do you make the games show the little icons to the left of their name when you're using Steam Air? I remember doing it once ages ago on the default steam skin but I can't figure out how to do it on this one.

Click the Steam icon in the upper left hand corner, select 'Games List.'

it's the scroll that really kills it

also I think the grid view with less bars looks nice on Air but at the end of the day it's just inconvenient

Once you scroll through and the icons all update, the scrolling is fine.

Salsa

Once you scroll through and the icons all update, the scrolling is fine.

oddly enough it's still way faster on Metro

not just the scrolling in general but the need to load the stuff up

I really dont know what does it but it's the fastest skin i've tried. compared side to side

Hugstable

Banned
oddly enough it's still way faster on Metro

not just the scrolling in general but the need to load the stuff up

I really dont know what does it but it's the fastest skin i've tried. compared side to side

Yeah I have to agree that it seems to be a little quicker in loading up the icons for me as well. I really like the cleaner look of it too.

joe2187

Banned
This may sound dumb, but are you logging in with your account name not profile username. I was doing that, and couldn't figure out why the hell it would not log me in. Also only applies if you have different names anyways.

I only have the one name, my ID is the same. I dont get it, I can login no problem on the Steam browser but cannot log in on my regular browser using firefox.

Xanathus

Metro is definitely the best skin though I had to stop using it when family sharing was first in beta because the skin was broken if you were in the beta. Also detail view > grid view.

Salsa

...Right, brain fart of epic proportions over here. And I guess in the end everyone has their own way of using the client.

even then tho showing just installed gives you the same density of games but with all of them at full color which can be just kinda blinding and ugly/messy

there's a tool to download a file that tweaks your skin config (including the dim)
http://metroforsteam.com/settings/
as for the spacing, go to Steam/Resource/Layout
open gamespage_grid and change "interiorspacing" from 18 to 00

You can edit all of that, read the readme file.
except the slow scrolling
You also need to check the readme file, I'd imagine turning that on is buried in there.
Here for spacing: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=95592367&postcount=70
Thanks guys! These helped a lot. Here's the result. Much nice to look at.

even then tho showing just installed gives you the same density of games but with all of them at full color which can be just kinda blinding and ugly
It does, which is why I stopped using grid view and switched to detail view. But it's nice to switch to grid sometimes to just look at them all.
Anyone want Company of Heroes and the expansions?
I already have the base game, so I'd only want the expansions. So I've held off in case someone wanted them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom