• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Has there been a lot of that? Either I haven't noticed or I'm just tuning it out.

It reached its peak near the end of the Summer Sale, when nbnt was dolling out gifts like candy. It was rather presumptuous and borderline obnoxious.

iosefe

Happy Brithday Modbot!
ylW2S.jpg

Great game. Whoever gets it is in for an interesting time

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Has there been a lot of that? Either I haven't noticed or I'm just tuning it out.

oh there is A LOT of it if you know how to see it lol. game begging doesnt just have to be "give me this game"

I think the groupees keys are up since the game launched

nope still not there (build a greenlight bundle 3 it was)

also, 8 Bit Commando key is up at indie gala June bundle, I already had it so heres my spare, first come first serve

ModBot said:
Instructions for Rhaknar:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
-
ad5hOev.png
7zwunRg.png
It's ModBot's birthday! Celebrate by giving out something other than bundle garbage today!
7zwunRg.png
ad5hOev.png

- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

8 Bit Commando -- MB-077443B011421560 - Taken by Gravelord_Nito

MRORANGE

I get the feeling some folks think this thread has transcended rules at this point.
Rules are important, people.
We don't keep repeating the no lists things for no reason.
Also, there's a separate BST thread for a good reason.

There's always Plan B when this thread eventually fails.

Can banning people from a thread be possible if they dont follow the rules? Ive seen some forums that actually can ban by thread but not sure if Gaf can do that.

I dont mean perma but lets say a day or two ban so they learn a lesson.

Can't be enforced, these are just rules I made up that most people on this thread agree with as being respectful and courteous to follow.

yuraya

i like their company. they're hilarious at reviewing movies. What didn't you like about their review?

They make fun of the game for having dialogue trees.
They make fun of the game for being similar to lord of rings. Which it isn't.
They try to compare it to mass effect??? lol
One of the guys is biased and doesn't like turn based combat. Says its not Immersive and similar to excel spreadsheets.
They are noobs who couldn't get any kills with weaker party members. Which you can easily do if you use your party turns and set up kills for the weaker members after wearing down the armor.
They said there isn't any consequences for losing in battles. There is. Party members get injured and lose strength for next battles until you rest.

They clearly just didn't like the game. The whole review seemed like a troll. But wtvr people have opinions n all thats fine. I liked it. Gameplay was fun and story was great. It was more similar to game of thrones tbh. In the sense it had that similar unpredictable vibe to it.

Benedict

Quick question regarding upgrade of notebook.

I have a Acer Aspire 3820TG with the following:
Intel Core i5-450M processor (2.4 GHz, 3MB L3 cache)
ATI Mobility Radeon HD5650 (2560MB HyperMemory)
4 GB DDR3 Memory
500GB HDD

Is it worth doing some sort of upgrade or should I just save the money for a new notebook/laptop a couple of years in the future?

The upgrades I'm thinking about is either upgrading the RAM to 8gb (maximum) or replacing the HDD with a 1TB SSHD. That might be problematic, or could I use some sort of cloning software for a quick transfer? I have cloning software from when I got a SSD for my stationary. Guess that would work.
Besides games I also use the notebook for GIS, LiDAR-software and photoshop editing.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Yep. The Alpacalypse the other night was kinda annoying, but I'd rather have that than another week of begwhining.

i would take a million alpacalypses, or waifunamis, or saoirsephoons (thats a saoirse typhoon btw) than the shady shit ive seen in this thread for the last few days /weeks.

but mine is a unpopular opinion so like I said, ill just lay low from the thread from now on, its all good

edit: this was on the bottom of the previous page btw if anyone wants it, its from indiegala June (so if you have that, use your own slacker!) 8 Bit Commando -- MB-077443B011421560 - Taken by Gravelord_Nito

Sarcasm

4 GB DDR3 Memory
500GB HDD

Is it worth doing some sort of upgrade or should I just save the money for a new notebook/laptop a couple of years in the future?

The upgrades I'm thinking about is either upgrading the RAM to 8gb (maximum) or replacing the HDD with a 1TB SSHD. That might be problematic, or could I use some sort of cloning software for a quick transfer? I have cloning software from when I got a SSD for my stationary. Guess that would work.
Besides games I also use the notebook for GIS, LiDAR-software and photoshop editing.

RAM than upgrade much later.

Turfster

Maxing out your RAM seems like something you'd have to do anyway, and an SSD is a pretty good idea too for the scratch disk, let alone games. ;)

You could clone the old drive easily if you have a USB enclosure, otherwise you might have to hook both drives up to your desktop and boot from a cloning bootCD.

JaseC

4 GB DDR3 Memory
500GB HDD

Can you not do both? If you're a particularly heavy Photoshop user the RAM and hybrid HDD upgrades would be beneficial, but as far as games are concerned you'd be best off saving up for a replacement.

Ruruja

I always go on igbwiki to see if new keys are added and the bundles all have familiar sounding names so I'm like "ohh, I think I bought that one, it rings a bell", but then find out I didn't.

The only solution is to buy every bundle.

Ryne

You would think I can not screw up purchases in Steam by now. I nuked the last giveaway because I didnt gift myself the right pack to give away.

Here is the new giveaway:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
-
ad5hOev.png
7zwunRg.png
It's ModBot's birthday! Celebrate by giving out something other than bundle garbage today!
7zwunRg.png
ad5hOev.png

- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Might and Magic Heroes VI Complete Edition -- MB-C1A609EA2CEF4150 - Taken by Htown
Might and Magic Franchise Pack -- MB-B8A554F8A20FF21B

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for Might and Magic Heroes VI Complete Edition was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

t1404674963z1.png

Rhaknar

why is the kangaroo wrangler using a young Sharon Stone avatar now? o_O

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Just 1, formally. A little older still, technically, since there was a "beta test" period.

ModBot's moderation functions were first used June 8th, 2013, but for the giveaway side of things, it looks like this post by ClovingSt... err... I Am Michael Bolton a year ago today is the first public giveaway:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=68520011&postcount=11232

It does look like I had at least the skeleton of how the giveaways would have worked the day before:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=68443526&postcount=10945
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=68439126&postcount=10919

I seem to remember you were part of the private beta, do you have any confirmed dates from the PMs? I'm still going to count ModBot's birthday as today but I am not sure how long I worked on it before it was functional and public. We can count that time as the... umm... gestational period?

Sky Chief

Just a reminder!

Happy Birthday Modbot! In honor here is my first giveaway. I hope I did everything correctly.

Good luck!

ModBot said:
Instructions for Sky Chief:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
-
ad5hOev.png
7zwunRg.png
7zwunRg.png
ad5hOev.png

- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

Killer is Dead - Nightmare Edition -- MB-E62E4BC57A4CD1C7 - Taken by louiedog

t1404672352z1.png

Tizoc

Entered for Shovel Knight. I think i might have one game I can make a giveaway of during ModBot's birthday...

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
I'm not 100% if these keys are used not, sorry if there are already used
But as said above it's sometimes hard to keep track with all these multiply copies of games :p

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
-
ad5hOev.png
7zwunRg.png
7zwunRg.png
ad5hOev.png

Rush for Glory -- MB-098B81AA1F024805 - Taken by kurahador
8-Bit Commando -- MB-8276CB7FF2CED99D - Taken by S1n1st3r

Also modbot claims that these are still up for graps, go nuts

Data Hacker Initiation -- IMDCE-1TC8F-CG69Z-XI62D-ZSKIJ
International Snooker (Desura) -- I1T4Z-AJZCM-IMF8P-T633B-XMNN4
Luna's Wandering Stars (Desura) -- HMVDS-FZGLI-G9Q5L-NDSYQ-8V98Q
Yrminsul (Desurs) -- IRVYV-D8W80-MPC8N-CXFL4-SHRTT
ONE DAY for Ched (Desura) -- HL3KI-9VQLK-52KOW-M4S26-OPY52
Magic Meisters (Desura) -- HLOGA-54G2Q-DMGGZ-G6VFA-TW2GF
Plith (Desura) -- 02IPY-2XOPH-IMPFV-XJW1K-FY4EW
Torchlight (GOG) -- 3PKQ-W9WA-QV75-56ED
Wizardry 6 & 7 -- 6T7FQ-HXAN5-4EJNB

Edit: Ups, posted the keys by accident :p

4 GB DDR3 Memory
500GB HDD

Ultrabook is not suited for any performance heavy stuff, better save up to buy a PC (or build one).

Rhaknar

what's the general consensus for the forest?

awesome but quite early I believe. Ive heard tales that you can literally walk off an edge and break the game, as in, there is no game there! :p

Turfster

am I the only one who doesn't see any begging, just whining about gifting in general

Oh, there's been begging all right.
Hell, I've done a few myself, mostly in jest, during the sales thread, but there's been people that quite definitely meant it =p

Happy birthday Modbot, here's a game I don't own myself but grabbed during the sale. Hopefully someone who missed this classic will enjoy it :)

ModBot said:

Rules for this Giveaway:
-
ad5hOev.png
7zwunRg.png
7zwunRg.png
ad5hOev.png

- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.

Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition -- MB-677E6C2B0FFFB198 - Taken by JustLynx. 39 entrants total.
t1404674874z1.png

pahamrick

I wanted to give away something for Modbot's birthday, but I was a bit limited in choice.

ModBot said:
Instructions for pahamrick:

Rules for this Giveaway:
-
ad5hOev.png
7zwunRg.png
7zwunRg.png
ad5hOev.png

- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Gorky 17 -- MB-F1FB82F70B086B56 - Taken by Halo 2. 1 entrants total.

t1404665333z1.png

Caerith

i would take a million alpacalypses, or waifunamis, or saoirsephoons (thats a saoirse typhoon btw) than the shady shit ive seen in this thread for the last few days /weeks.

but mine is a unpopular opinion so like I said, ill just lay low from the thread from now on, its all good
I'm with you. All of those (and dormergeddon) are, well, they are what they are, but at least they aren't toxic.

JaseC

why is the kangaroo wrangler using a young Sharon Stone avatar now? o_O

I'd never do such a thing. ;)

ModBot's moderation functions were first used June 8th, 2013, but for the giveaway side of things, it looks like this post by ClovingSt... err... I Am Michael Bolton a year ago today is the first public giveaway:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=68520011&postcount=11232

Ah.

I seem to remember you were part of the private beta, do you have any confirmed dates from the PMs? I'm still going to count ModBot's birthday as today but I am not sure how long I worked on it before it was functional and public. We can count that time as the... umm... gestational period?

Accounting for the time difference, I received the beta test PM from you on the 6th.

pahamrick

Oh, there's been begging all right.
Hell, I've done a few myself, mostly in jest, during the sales thread, but there's been people that quite definitely meant it =p

Yeah, I did a bit in jest but I tried to give some stuff back to anyone who gifted me something (and a few folks who were doing random gifting to others.)

Chariot

We just finished our first heist without the police being alerted. It was awesome.
Probs to Goochy, Huggy and Munchy! Tonight we exceptionally don't dine in prison.

Benedict

Can you not do both? If you're a particularly heavy Photoshop user the RAM and hybrid HDD upgrades would be beneficial, but as far as games are concerned you'd be best off saving up for a replacement.

I've thought about that, but that would be a lot of money for the computer.
Final cost would be somewhere about $220-$250 here in Sweden.

Hugstable

Banned
We just finished our first heist without the police being alerted. It was awesome.
Probs to Goochy, Huggy and Munchy! Tonight we exceptionally don't dine in prison.

Definitely made up for the match where we almost made it out and I got downed less than an inch from the escape point -_-

Chariot

Definitely made up for the match where we almost made it out and I got downed less than an inch from the escape point -_-
Twice :D
Although in the mall we could savage the situation, but there you fell 1 meter before the escape, too. It's actually amazing for itself :D The cops so hate you.

Anteater

ugh, if I bought something from humble bundle store, is it possible to get a gift link if I forgot to check the "gift" box? I now have this stupid game I was supposed to gift on my account...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom