• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
abyss odyssey vs. shovel knight.. what do i choose??

well one is an amazing game. the other was aparently made my Nito's mom or something, and we have no clue if its actually good until its out :p

Another copy of DD Neon for those that are sad about the sale.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
-
ad5hOev.png
7zwunRg.png
It's ModBot's birthday! Celebrate by giving out something other than bundle garbage today!
7zwunRg.png
ad5hOev.png

- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Double Dragon Neon -- MB-B1AE87495F419AB0 - Taken by arts&crafts. 51 entrants total.

t1404677034z1.png

wilflare

thread moves crazy fast
so don't miss out on this!
comes heartily recommended by Gravelord_Nito

ModBot said:
Instructions for wilflare:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
-
ad5hOev.png
7zwunRg.png
It's ModBot's birthday! Celebrate by giving out something other than bundle garbage today!
7zwunRg.png
ad5hOev.png

- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (wilflare, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Abyss Odyssey -- MB-03FE17402B4FDE6B - Taken by spindoctor. 105 entrants total.

t1404672620z1.png

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
THIS IS A REPOST BTW

Happy Birthday Modbot!

Birthday.gif

ModBot said:
Instructions for Rhaknar:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Rules for this Giveaway:
-
ad5hOev.png
7zwunRg.png
7zwunRg.png
ad5hOev.png

- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

Shovel Knight -- MB-4A033BA02665A4BA - Taken by Dambrosi

t1404673522z1.png
2_year_reddit_birthday_and_st_patricks_day_weekend_you_know_what_that_means-39098.gif

also yay for armored priest for something I can enter for o/

Chariot

Oh man that Sam Fisher agent was something else. Sometimes you don't even get the chance, you just hear the goggle sounds and then BAM, DEAD
Yeah, I hope I get some cooler melee weapon so I can stab him in the nuts.

Discount Sam Fisher Lol soo the guy from Syphon Filter?

But then again isn't Sam Fisher just a discount Solid Snake?
I'm talking about this fucker right here:
This guy sneaks up to your back and beat you until your unconcious while taunting you.

Dr Dogg

No keys :(

I hate my life

7QcryES.jpg

Humble have a mixed system at present. If you by a bundle you can redeem them on the Steam account linked to your Humble account or generate a gift link to give to someone else. If you by from the store you have a choice at checkout to purchase for yourself or generate a gift link (don't worry I've cocked this up in the past as well). And just to put the cat amongst the pigeons some of the items using the Humble Widget still give you Steam keys (my copy of Shovel Knight I bought on the Yacht Club Games home page gave me a key not a link). Never bloody easy is it.

Shantom

Found this when going through old humble bundles. Hopefully it doesn't qualify as garbage :)
ModBot said:

Rules for this Giveaway:
-
ad5hOev.png
7zwunRg.png
7zwunRg.png
ad5hOev.png

- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Killing Floor -- MB-8FA8834FC9C99C6A - Taken by Hero Prinny. 6 entrants total.

t1404667222z1.png

liezryou

Humble have a mixed system at present. If you by a bundle you can redeem in on the Steam account linked to your humble account or generate a gift link to give to someone else. If you by from the store you have a choice at check out to purchase for yourself or generate a gift link (don't worry I've cocked this up in the past as well). And just to put the cat amongst the pigeons some of the items using the Humble Widget still give yo Steam keys (my copy of Shovel Knight I bought on the Yatch Club a Games home page gave me a key not a link). Never bloody easy is it.

Fuck the humble store, I want my steam keys to do with whatever the fuck i please.

UncleBiz

Well Abyss Odyssey is 5$ off right now on prepurchase and Shovel Knight is full price. But Shovel Knoght is already released and has alot of impressions and reviews out. Hard choice actually lol -_-

well one is an amazing game. the other was aparently made my Nito's mom or something, and we have no clue if its actually good until its out :p
i guess i'll see if i win one of the giveaways.. otherwise it's a hard decision :p

Got it for 4 keys

I got mine for $6. ;)
Very small price to pay considering what I got out of it.
Eye of Sauron and all that... right, Rhaknar?

Happy Birthday Modbot! In honor here is my first giveaway. I hope I did everything correctly.

Good luck!

You've done what I couldn't manage during the Steam sale. Anyone who gives away KiD is alright in my book. You should add me if we aren't friends on Steam.

thanks for the many memories, SteamGAF
I don't post as much anymore... but thanks for being my first real community :D

and here's to celebrate Modbot's first birthday! and our 25th thread!

Nice one, sir.

Happy Birthday Modbot!

Birthday.gif

2_year_reddit_birthday_and_st_patricks_day_weekend_you_know_what_that_means-39098.gif

You crazy bastard. <3
Why must you always give away things I own? :(

Happy birthday Modbot, here's a game I don't own myself but grabbed during the sale. Hopefully someone who missed this classic will enjoy it :)

Nice!!!!

No keys :(

I hate my life

7QcryES.jpg

Sorry man... I could have told you to just click the gift link first, as I just bought Jazzpunk and The Floor is Jelly from Humble yesterday and it moved from keys (which is what Shovel Knight gave me) to the button for redemption.

Ah, shit, sorry. That must be a very recent change as my Apotheon order is only a couple of months old. Try explaining the situation to Valve -- they may agree to unlink the key from your account. Be sure to provide evidence of the purchase.

Bad Koala. I think you should give Anteater a couple extra modbot entries to your giveaway. :p

Rhaknar

I'm posting a lot less in the thread nowadays, I think I know what you mean if it makes you feel better.

it doesnt make me feel better or worse Nin, it is what it is

or like the song says, que sera, sera

abyss odyssey vs. shovel knight.. what do i choose??

Abyss Odyssey has a good sale right now, and a soundtrack bundled if you care about that.

Shovel Knight, while very good, isn't on sale. It's also not dependent on the moment. Contrary to the haters, I think it will be good for some time coming. It's not just riding a hype wave. You could wait for a couple of gold off before buying it.

Or not. I bought it full price and it got me through a tough weekend recently, for which I'm thankful. No regrets.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sorry but what kind of shady shit went on in this thread?
So I love waifus, alpacas and saoirses, and I love comparing our games counts, connection speeds and mostly our dicks lengths.
Now it is not fine anymore. But not because of the off topic, no. This thread has always been a community-like one, and it was/is its greatest perk imho.
This thread has crossed the line because now we are like 5000 regulars.
5000 regulars posting alpacas and waifus and that one drink I always forget its name
yerba?

The weekend's seen a lot of the Steam sale regulars drop off momentarily. Just looking at the current last page, more than half of the posters were regulars before I start posting in the threads a few months back. I feel like the further we get from the sale, more will drop of before returning for the other sales, and more of the older regulars that haven't posted as much will start to post more often. I'm hoping that it balances out over time, since both the old and the new regulars offer a lot of diversity that I'd honestly miss if they just completely left the threads and didn't come back.

I also feel like we still talk about games, but the off topic stuff has increased because of the new comers. And the new comers talk about games too, it's just that the off topic stuff is more noticeable because, well, it stands out more in a thread where the evolving idea was to discuss games, sales, and bundles. The off topic posts really add to the sense of community the thread has, though honestly it can become a bit much, even if I participate in some of it, like the alpacalypse.

And yes, the drink is yerba :p

Hugstable

Banned
I'm sorry but what kind of shady shit went on in this thread?

Also, I seldom speak my mind about all these derailings, but at cost of appearing as an old grumpy buzzkiller:

I'm usually a great supporter of off topic, sheer mayhem, flaming, trolling and whatnot. And by "usually" and "great" I mean in almost twenty years of internet I've piled up my fair share of temp and perma bans from several (Italian) forums.

So I love waifus, alpacas and saoirses, and I love comparing our games counts, connection speeds and mostly our dicks lengths.

And this thread has been fine with off topic, at least since my arrival (just in time for last year summer sale) to a month ago or so. Borderline manageable, but still, fine.

Now it is not fine anymore. But not because of the off topic, no. This thread has always been a community-like one, and it was/is its greatest perk imho.
This thread has crossed the line because now we are like 5000 regulars.
5000 regulars posting alpacas and waifus and that one drink I always forget its name
yerba?

Now, this is clearly not the opinion of a bunch of users here. I remember someone before the sale telling like "this thread will be unmanageable, see you after the sale". Now I don't even know if those people ever came back. I honestly don't know who really posts here anymore except the dozen or so literal megagivers and Monk because he's always been above anyone else. :)

Chatting with someone here it came up that there are very few ways to safeguard this thread.
One would be opening a sort of mirror Steam OT in Community.
Another would be moving all the chat-like posting over to the actual SteamGAF chat on Steam! :D

I don't know.
I've never had anything to do with a forum this big so fuck, I cannot be confident enough in talking about solutions, but still.

Also I'm not a mod here, so I guess just do whatever you please. :D

I'm new here myself and honestly I'm sorry if people think I crap up the thread or anything or cause other posters that are regulars not to post here. I just started posting because it was a general Steam thread and thought I could just talk about all steam games here, and I know I post alot but I can chill out if it makes people less afraid of getting taken to OT. Posting here reiginited a love for PC games and being here has allowed me to find people to play Payday 2 and CS:GO with, when almost all of my experiences on PC games have usually just been with myself or randoms. I really love the community that I've come to meet here, but you aren't the first person to mention this and I feel bad if I really have been hurting the Steam OT in anyway.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
its a hard work though, everyday frequent update ;_;
90DoZis.jpg

Detail View feels so naked without icons enabled. They really ought to be enabled by default.

Edit: Your list reminds me that I still don't have DeathSpank: Throngs of Virtue. I was going to buy it during the Summer Sale but chiefly focused on cheaper games instead as I wanted to hit 3k.

Dr Dogg

Fuck the humble store, I want my steam keys to do with whatever the fuck i please.

I'm a bit sour on their direction they have made over the past 2 years to be fair, especially from where the idea came from and their Humble (heh) beginnings. I guess that investment money went a changed their ethos. Considering they are letting big name publishers like Ubisoft, Warners, Square Enix et all mix it up with self published little guys you can see they have moved on from giving exposure to overlooked indie games on Steam.

Still at the end of the day the do still support a couple of charities I'd gladly give my money to and they do give pubs/devs a bigger cut than Valve do. Though the default cuts on the store being fixed and EA's Origin bundle not supporting EFF gets/got my goat a little.

Anteater

Ah, shit, sorry. That must be a very recent change as my Apotheon order is less than two months old. Try explaining the situation to Humble/Valve -- they may agree to unlink the key from your account. Be sure to provide evidence of the purchase.

I'll just leave it, I have a friend who's interested to play it anyway and I shared my account with him, I just don't know how to explain buying the game I wasn't going to play, lol

saoirseshrug8njimrkygb.gif

ModBot said:

Rules for this Giveaway:
-
ad5hOev.png
7zwunRg.png
7zwunRg.png
ad5hOev.png

- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

The Forest -- MB-D54AC599339A3020 - Taken by CheesecakeRecipe. 71 entrants total.

t1404677753z1.png

StAidan

The weekend's seen a lot of the Steam sale regulars drop off momentarily. Just looking at the current last page, more than half of the posters were regulars before I start posting in the threads a few months back. I feel like the further we get from the sale, more will drop of before returning for the other sales, and more of the older regulars that haven't posted as much will start to post more often. I'm hoping that it balances out over time, since both the old and the new regulars offer a lot of diversity that I'd honestly miss if they just completely left the threads and didn't come back.

I also feel like we still talk about games, but the off topic stuff has increased because of the new comers. And the new comers talk about games too, it's just that the off topic stuff is more noticeable because, well, it stands out more in a thread where the evolving idea was to discuss games, sales, and bundles. The off topic posts really add to the sense of community the thread has, though honestly it can become a bit much, even if I participate in some of it, like the alpacalypse.

And yes, the drink is yerba :p

I also expect things to die down a bit with some more time, my biggest problem now is just keeping up with the sheer volume of posts and trying to find the stuff I'm most interested in (the game impressions, deal/bundle alerts, and a smidgen of small talk). I don't mind a bit of off-topic, there's just an awful lot of it right now.

Aesthet1c

Does anyone know if the M&M cash thing still works?

I've been trying to add the $6 to my steam wallet but the card keeps getting declined. I've even tried going through paypal and have had no luck.

Rhaknar

man... the more I think about it... fuck the lack of Ace of Base in Gone Home :(

NotSelf

Awesome game beat two bosses still need to grind a bit more.

ModBot said:
Instructions for NotSelf:

Rules for this Giveaway:
-
ad5hOev.png
7zwunRg.png
7zwunRg.png
ad5hOev.png

- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Rogue Legacy -- MB-6BD813CE7B41C9AC - Taken by 73V3N. 15 entrants total.

t1404668031z1.png

iosefe

everything i've seen of the forest is weird. with that said, i hate jump scares. but i love that i can chop down a forest.

should i or shouldn't i?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom