• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

the only way the news thread would work if it's like a sticky/locked thing where people can't post and someone just updates or something

at that point tho: what's even in the point? Steam already does that. If you want Steam News, go here: http://store.steampowered.com/news

other than that making a thread to avoid the off topic talk / new blood posting (and yeah im already kinda tired of this latest meme flood) is as silly and pointless as the "The Order 1886 appreciation thread!" that got locked

Chariot

So, some low risk raffle risk. One of this Papo & Yo keys is the game + the soundtrack, the others are only the game. It's a fantastic game.

ModBot said:
Instructions for Chariot:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
-
ad5hOev.png
7zwunRg.png
It's ModBot's birthday! Celebrate by giving out something other than bundle garbage today!
7zwunRg.png
ad5hOev.png

- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Papo & Yo #4 -- MB-9FE35D248E5A8BE0
Papo & Yo #3 -- MB-5750D8B6E07C3CDC
Papo & Yo #2 -- MB-4F39690A2AAA1D68
Papo & Yo #5 -- MB-B275CDD3AAB96B8C
Papo & Yo -- MB-498E4F9720626330
Papo & Yo #6 -- MB-E00FABFBEA5D1761

t1404679013z1.png

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I'm hoping it's good. that art style got me
Well if its bad I hope the team takes feedback and tweak the game and save what can be fixable. On steam and their forum they seem to respond to feedback negative or positive in a respectful manner and i think last night someone made a recommendation and they said they would look into it or something along those lines. The team has talked about their flaws on Zeno Clash games before and how it hurted the games or the way for it to attract more players so they dont seem full of themselves like some teams have done lately (mercury steam dude comes to mind)

In the end it cant be worse than Bad Rats.

I'll just leave it, I have a friend who's interested to play it anyway and I shared my account with him, I just don't know how to explain buying the game I wasn't going to play, lol
Wow, Anteater. Really great of you. Just played BF3 for an hour and suddenly giveaways ramped up. Did US gaf awake just now?
Would people be opposed to this idea?
Nice idea, but with so many splitted threads revolving around steam, won't some become obsolete?
I think two steam threads would be enough. One with actual news, sales, releases, reveals, questions, giveaways, group invites, friend requests, (link to) lists and another one solely for chatting - which takes the biggest part of posts.
All the other topics don't get many replies, so splitting them into separate threads doesn't seem good. The kinda-OT chatting is sometimes fun, sometimes weird but it definitely takes the highest post-count. If that were to be isolated, all the other activities usually frowned upon wouldn't be a big anymore I think.

Salsa

Yes make it, this thread is a mess to try to get any actual steam information.

what information do you want that can't be found at a glance on the steam store page

leaks get new threads, port announcement get new threads.. everything gets new threads that are news-specific

BruteUA

I say give it another 3-5 days and see how things shake out. The current system has worked for 24 prior threads and survived other post-sale shenanigans. But if this time things have gone too far to correct themselves, then the correction will have to be forced.

MRORANGE

How about a bot that can pick up on news from this thread and post it a news/announcement thread that is locked

- sales of other stores
- price discounts
- news
- upcomming releases

A bot could search this thread by a specific hashtag/phrase and post the users post in the other thread or use a PM system.

Stump?

Addnan

what information do you want that can't be found at a glance on the steam store page

I just want to see sales on different sites. This thread moves way too fast to keep up with that if it is posted. They used to be posted before. Assume they still are but at 20 pages a day hard to keep up.

UncleBiz

i think in general it's best to keep everything in one topic. as said before, i don't think many people come to this thread looking only for sales/updates.

Copons

Would people be opposed to this idea?

As someone pointed out, this would have much more sense if it was allowed to actually talk about games too.

At the same time, I'm with people saying that if we split in two threads, eventually the news one will become the same as the off topic one, so all in all I guess the only way out is self control
it's also the hardest way of course :D

73V3N

Banned
ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
-
ad5hOev.png
7zwunRg.png
It's ModBot's birthday! Celebrate by giving out something other than bundle garbage today!
7zwunRg.png
ad5hOev.png

- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Dead Island Epidemic -- MB-DB8EFE63A929A740 - Taken by Nibiru. 1 entrants total.

t1404669471z1.png

gonna try to sell some dota items to giveaway something better

Newblade

Just wanted to chime in and do a little something for Modbot's birthday.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
-
ad5hOev.png
7zwunRg.png
7zwunRg.png
ad5hOev.png

- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

Rogue Legacy -- MB-3B9CEEEF5043AC2F - Taken by Servizio. 21 entrants total.

t1404669562z1.png

Salsa

I just want to see sales on different sites. This thread moves way too fast to keep up with that if it is posted. They used to be posted before. Assume they still are but at 20 pages a day hard to keep up.

well, if it's something big and really worthy it ussually gets a thread

I made a thread about the Gamefly sale and it got pushed back many pages. It's not exactly this thread's fault

Turfster

How about a bot that can pick up on news from this thread and post it a news/announcement thread that is locked

Hey, that's my idea! ;)
But yeah, that would require a lot of work to get right, so I'm not sure it's a viable option.

I think we're best off sticking with what we have, really, and just making sure people stick to the rules.

Jawmuncher

- sales of other stores
- price discounts
- news
- upcomming releases

A bot could search this thread by a specific hashtag/phrase and post the users post in the other thread or use a PM system.

Stump?

That would actually be pretty cool.

- sales of other stores
- price discounts
- news
- upcomming releases

Stump?

You mean what a Steam thread used to be about before modbot turned it into the giveaway thread?

LuuKyK

Omg, the temptation over the Might & Magic Heroes daily sale.

Does the price go even lower in the big sales? I am betting it does right? I am telling myself to wait but...

Salsa

lol penis

#SteamNews

watch it get picked up

actual answer: I think it's a cool idea but I just don't see the point? are we turning GAF into Steam or something? just go to Steam's website for news.. I dont get it

every other Steam news gets a new thread. We had a thread for the Dead Rising 3 leak, we had a thread for the Steam Controller, for Steam Updates, etc etc

Turfster

Does the price go even lower in the big sales? I am betting it does right? I am telling myself to wait but...

At 75% off for everything, they probably won't go much lower, to be honest.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

- sales of other stores
- price discounts
- news
- upcomming releases

Stump?

If Stump can create a bot to work it out, a thread like that might work. We would still have to actually input data to make the thread work, but wouldn't it be easier for us just to PM a bot and have it post in that thread, completely invalidating the main purpose of another Steam thread and exiling it into the community side?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Discounts above 75% are rare for games from larger publishers, however there exists the distinct possibility that Ubi will drop the base price in the future. It's up to you whether or not you want to roll the dice -- the next big sale isn't until November and the games quite likely will not be discounted again before then.

- sales of other stores
- price discounts
- news
- upcomming releases

Stump?

I don't know how Neogaf is structured programmatic wise but this seems like a lot of work and as Salsa pointed out it's not a sure way that news will reach the thread either.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
I say we start DDOSing Neogaf, all get permabanned, and start our own forum.

LuuKyK

At 75% off for everything, they probably won't go much lower, to be honest.

Discounts above 75% are rare for games from larger publishers, however there exists the distinct possibility that Ubi will drop the base price in the future. It's up to you whether or not you want to roll the dice -- the next big sale isn't until November and the games quite likely will not be discounted again before then.

Fuck. You guys convinced me.

rookiejet

- sales of other stores
- price discounts
- news
- upcomming releases

Stump?

By title. And this would still be a great system to promote adoption of, even if an bot and secondary thread wasn't implemented, because you can still manually search for those posts.

Copons

Maybe because I missed most of the alpacagedon but are things really that bad?

It just depends on your perception.
If you are fine with what appears to be a WEEKLY almost-20000 posts thread, then yeah, things are not that bad. :D

Conversely, just think about the fact that before the sale, this got to be a MONTHLY thread, closing at around almost-25K posts.

Basically, the thread got three to four times faster.

So yeah, I guess things are pretty bad for us used to the old format. :D

lol penis

#SteamNews

watch it get picked up

lol thought the same thing

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

Dr Dogg

I feel this thread is fine but we all need to exercise a little self control and stay on topic and follow the guidelines set out. Also just use a little common sense, if someone spams the thread with unrelated pics and gifs don't go quoting them or try and join in, that's just going to add to the problem. So is complaining and complaining about complaining, it's just another post added in to the count. Steam has a massive library now and I'm sure we can bang on for days on end about what we rate, hate and down right berate goes on in there without descending into madness.

Though as someone wise did say a thread or two back some more discussion about what we've been playing, coupled with pictures, videos or gifs of said stuff would really help boost the posting quality up as well as discussion in a back and forth manner on the threads impressions of said game. It does become an echo chamber in here at times and there is a very high signal to noise imbalance but it's not like we're living in the final days of Rome, it's quite easy to get things back on track.

Of course that just me :/

Caerith

- sales of other stores
- price discounts
- news
- upcomming releases

Stump?
With the end goal being a locked thread, stickied atop the gaming forum, that is nothing but a compilation of Steam-related news?

I think it'd only fly if the news updates were compiled in the OP or second/third posts with a one-line summary and link to the user's post with details.

MRORANGE

I don't thinkanything is going to happen, but just throwing out idea's, granted everyone want's this thread to stay in gaming but people also want latest steam news and deals from various places without having to trawl through posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom