• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trejik

I see the drama died down. Just in time for giveaways.

I have no money this month, SteamGAF. I am sorry. But work is being bad to me, so I must face the music and just look at videos of Divinity and Shovel Knight, and gift nothing.

Quick question, next game I play for random video reviews, F.E.A.R or Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae?

Caerith

man... the more I think about it... fuck the lack of Ace of Base in Gone Home :(

Man, if Sam was the kind of girl to listen to Ace of Base then the game would start with Kaitlin coming home and end thirty seconds later as she walks in and her entire family is at home.

\
Edit: Your list reminds me that I still don't have DeathSpank: Throngs of Virtue. I was going to buy it during the Summer Sale but chiefly focused on cheaper games instead as I wanted to hit 3k.

I guess it was on humble bundle in past, i wonder how you miss it.. or may be i'm wrong.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
I'm new here myself and honestly I'm sorry if people think I crap up the thread or anything or cause other posters that are regulars not to post here. I just started posting because it was a general Steam thread and thought I could just talk about all steam games here, and I know I post alot but I can chill out if it makes people less afraid of getting taken to OT. Posting here reiginited a love for PC games and being here has allowed me to find people to play Payday 2 and CS:GO with, when almost all of my experiences on PC games have usually just been with myself or randoms. I really love the community that I've come to meet here, but you aren't the first person to mention this and I feel bad if I really have been hurting the Steam OT in anyway.

yeah, pretty much the same here ... I'm truly sorry for posting so much lately ... I'll try to tone it down ... I really hope I haven't offended (in a bad way) anyone in here ... sorry, guys :(

everything i've seen of the forest is weird. with that said, i hate jump scares. but i love that i can chop down a forest.

should i or shouldn't i?

I really like it, but it's hard to recommend right now. If you don't mind dealing with all of the issues that come with an Early Access game, then go for it.

MRORANGE

Would people be opposed to this idea?

gpltvzx.jpg

What is this thread?
A thread to find about news on Steam / Updates / Sales / Price reductions, quickly and efficiently.

Uh...... but we have one already?
Yes we do, but that thread goes really fast and a lot of posts get buried, not a lot of people have time to read 20+ pages a day.

So how does it work?
You just post the news about the agenda with a link and a brief info. This can be a sale reduction, steam news

What are the rules:
- Do not congratulate how this thread is a good idea
- Do not post questions here
- Do not post off topic comments here
- Do not post giveaways

EDIT: It's a new thread that runs along side this thread.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Does anyone know if the M&M cash thing still works?

I've been trying to add the $6 to my steam wallet but the card keeps getting declined. I've even tried going through paypal and have had no luck.

The current theory is that Mars has disallowed the cards from being used as funding sources on various services, so no PayPal/Steam Wallet top-ups and the like.

Some of you new people should join us in SteamGAF chat boots is making nachos and priit has cabbages.

I don't think I've ever used Steam's group chat functionality. Maybe back during the Portal 2 early release ARG, but that'd be it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Man, if Sam was the kind of girl to listen to Ace of Base then the game would start with Kaitlin coming home and end thirty seconds later as she walks in and her entire family is at home.

Kat would totally listen to Ace of Base tho, and she lived there. Yo fuck that inacurate game!

*goes back to listening to All that she wants :(

that thread would have 1 new page a month, there arent that many steam news :p

MadGear

I'll just leave it, I have a friend who's interested to play it anyway and I shared my account with him, I just don't know how to explain buying the game I wasn't going to play, lol

Well you can simply say "I got it during a steam sale" and people will understand :)

JaseC

I see the drama died down. Just in time for giveaways.

I have no money this month, SteamGAF. I am sorry. But work is being bad to me, so I must face the music and just look at videos of Divinity and Shovel Knight, and gift nothing.

Quick question, next game I play for random video reviews, F.E.A.R or Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae?

I played through FEAR last year, for the first time since '06, and to this day it holds up really well. I still don't care for the expansions, though.

I guess it was on humble bundle in past, i wonder how you miss it.. or may be i'm wrong.

Yeah, somehow it's managed to fly under my radar over the years.

That would be very helpful. It could be used to post information about impending Steam sales, Amazon sales or other sales. I know that I would have missed the Valentine's Day Amazon sale if I hadn't, luckily, seen the post in the thread as I skimmed to catch up.

Copons

The weekend's seen a lot of the Steam sale regulars drop off momentarily. Just looking at the current last page, more than half of the posters were regulars before I start posting in the threads a few months back. I feel like the further we get from the sale, more will drop of before returning for the other sales, and more of the older regulars that haven't posted as much will start to post more often. I'm hoping that it balances out over time, since both the old and the new regulars offer a lot of diversity that I'd honestly miss if they just completely left the threads and didn't come back.

I also feel like we still talk about games, but the off topic stuff has increased because of the new comers. And the new comers talk about games too, it's just that the off topic stuff is more noticeable because, well, it stands out more in a thread where the evolving idea was to discuss games, sales, and bundles. The off topic posts really add to the sense of community the thread has, though honestly it can become a bit much, even if I participate in some of it, like the alpacalypse.

And yes, the drink is yerba :p

I'm new here myself and honestly I'm sorry if people think I crap up the thread or anything or cause other posters that are regulars not to post here. I just started posting because it was a general Steam thread and thought I could just talk about all steam games here, and I know I post alot but I can chill out if it makes people less afraid of getting taken to OT. Posting here reiginited a love for PC games and being here has allowed me to find people to play Payday 2 and CS:GO with, when almost all of my experiences on PC games have usually just been with myself or randoms. I really love the community that I've come to meet here, but you aren't the first person to mention this and I feel bad if I really have been hurting the Steam OT in anyway.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean it was the newcomers' fault! New blood is always a good thing imho.
It's just that the thread doubled or tripled its size in such short time, and the sloppy behaviour we always had before is now inevitably amplified to the point it's really hard to follow the thread.

Playing The Banner Saga is starting to get depressing because I'm a terrible leader. I won't spend renown on levelling people up because I think I might need it for supplies but then I never remember to buy supplies. Now my people are starving and weak and at least one of them gets drop kicked every time I get into a battle.

This is why I'll never hold a managerial position.

Blizzard

Banned
I have thought about this, and what I would really like is all of those elements, plus the ability for people to talk about any Steam games.

Granted, as soon as I admit I played Borderlands 2 I would presumably be mocked instead of people saying "that's cool yo, hope you had fun", but a Steam game discussion thread and a dedicated giveaway thread would be cool. I'm not personally interested in the bundles/sales on other stores aspect, but it could fit in either thread I suppose.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

I think that would be a go-

- Do not congratulate how this thread is a good idea

Oh.

It might work, but either way both threads will become much slower, since the thread that has ModBot attached to it would almost assuredly go into the community section. Random people that have questions about Steam wouldn't really know where to go, and would probably post questions in that thread because most people that aren't really familiar with the thread don't read the OP.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I'm not opposed in principle, but I can't help thinking that by separating some of the fundamental functions of the thread from the rest that way, you'll be relegating the "regular" Steam thread to oblivion in OT.

why are you so wise Tella? its the Olivia avatar isnt it?

well, Wolfenstein New Order sure is fucking awesome...damn. This was unexpected (well maybe not since theres quite the positive buzz around it)

does anyone know how much changes after
you choose who dies at the start (also that was fucked up, cliched sure, but still fucked up)

There are actually a couple of pretty interesting differences, light spoiler for the first few hours of the game
In each timeline you have a completely different character in the base you go to, that influences a small side mission, the commanding officer is different depending on which one you save, also one gives you the ability to lock pick, the other gives you the ability to short circuit electric number pads on doors etc. also if I'm not mistaken there are some armor upgrades depending on who you pick
Me and my brother picked different characters so it was interesting comparing the differences.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
The Steam news thread is a great idea, but won't that topic quickly sink to the bottom?
If we agree to post news there it wouldnt be dead. We post news here from time to time. Game announcements, updates and any new news could go there.

Nibiru

Banned
ModBot said:
Rules for this Giveaway:
-
ad5hOev.png
7zwunRg.png
It's ModBot's birthday! Celebrate by giving out something other than bundle garbage today!
7zwunRg.png
ad5hOev.png

- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Nibiru, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Larva Mortus -- MB-A7E2A97493A11EC7

t1404671451z1.png

A bit of an oddity of a game but why the hell not!

Caerith

I wouldn't be opposed to it, but I don't think it would work. If there just needs to be a consolidated place for all the news, reserve the first two or three posts after the OP and someone (modbot?) can update them as news breaks. If the goal is just to cut down on chatter, then either the "news-only" thread will be ignored or it'll turn back into this thread over time.

Kat would totally listen to Ace of Base tho, and she lived there. Yo fuck that inacurate game!

*goes back to listening to All that she wants :(

Kat might have listened to Ace of Base, but she never lived at that house prior to the start of the game. Maybe someone can mod the game so you can open her luggage and find all the Ace of Base tapes you want.

Dr Dogg

Good idea (shit that against your rules!) but were in a funny time where actual Steam news has died down the past couple of months. Sure there's Beta client updates pretty much weekly now but all the big news like SteamOS, In-Home Streaming, Music Beta, Controller and Steam Machine kerfuffle have died down to a whimper recently. That and it's become nigh on impossible to follow new releases now with the weekly jumble sale/brik-a-brak dumping Steam gets unless you're following a particular game. Maybe when real news picks up things might calm down here but who knows?

I'll go get the Origin thread warmed up :p

Milamber

I do enjoy the young blood here but being unable to follow a Steam thread every morning is keeping me from posting as much here. A news only Steam thread will be great but I feel that if that gets created, this regular thread will forever lose its status and be finally shoved to Community.

Salsa

guys trying to regulate something like that with no mod power is ridiculous

people will be posting the same thing in both threads, and the news thread would get hella off topic either way

there's no need to segregate people, it's not like people don't find out about steam news already

Rhaknar

Kat might have listened to Ace of Base, but she never lived at that house prior to the start of the game. Maybe someone can mod the game so you can open her luggage and find all the Ace of Base tapes you want.

thats ridiculous...

would play the game again :3

wait youre right tho, they moved while she was in europe. Stop crushing my Ace of Base dreams Caerith! >_<

Anteater

yeah, pretty much the same here ... I'm truly sorry for posting so much lately ... I'll try to tone it down ... I really hope I haven't offended (in a bad way) anyone in here ... sorry, guys :(

don't worry about it, it's easy to go off track, I'm not a mod but I think random offtopic shit is ok as long as you also try to post on topic stuff, use jasec as your role model, he's incredibly helpful with his steam posts but you always see saoirse gifs hidden in them.

This is also more like a PC gaming thread than just Steam, so posting anything related to pc games is alright.

Turfster

Eh, the only way I see the Steam News thread working is if it was basically sterile, automated and locked.
Deals posted here with a specific tag (or PMd, but that would require the things mentioned below) would get reposted there by a bot.
Of course, then you'd have to also have deal recognition, so the same deal that got reposted 10 times due to timezones wouldn't be posted 10 times in a row in the worst case scenario.
It would be a lot of work and require moderation if you want it to be perfect.

Also, lashman, Hugstable, don't worry about it.

JaseC

I'm not opposed in principle, but I can't help thinking that by separating some of the fundamental functions of the thread from the rest that way, you'll be relegating the "regular" Steam thread to oblivion in OT.

Yeah, I was about to say much the same thing. The off-topic talk can be overbearing at times, especially at this juncture due to the new arrivals, however removing the primary reason behind this thread's existence would doom it to Community, at which point it'd become a huge mess of discussion that makes no effort to stay true to the topic. Most of the time the discussion in here tends to course-correct quite quickly, plus bigger news items get their own threads, anyway (e.g. Dead Rising 3's pre-order being a Daily).

Ibuki

Banned
thats ridiculous...

wait youre right tho, they moved while she was in europe. Stop crushing my Ace of Base dreams Caerith! >_<

I know this is so off topic, but I went back and started listening to Ace of Base, fucking nostalgia overload. Shit is so good.

Caerith

thats ridiculous...

How about Gone Home Zero: Going Home? It chronicles Kat traveling around Europe picking up Ace of Base cassettes which you can then listen to. It'll take a few years for them to model all of Europe accurately, but you'd finally have your dream game.

Salsa

Yeah, I was about to say much the same thing. The off-topic talk can be overbearing at times, especially at this juncture due to the new arrivals, however removing the primary reason behind this thread's existence would doom it to Community, at which point it'd become a huge mess of discussion that makes no effort to stay true to the topic.

the moment this gets moved to community that News thread would become as off topic as this

Rhaknar

I know this is so off topic, but I went back and started listening to Ace of Base, fucking nostalgia overload. Shit is so good.

its off topic to talk about a steam game on the steam thread? I dont know what is off topic anymore

How about Gone Home Zero: Going Home? It chronicles Kat traveling around Europe picking up Ace of Base cassettes which you can then listen to. It'll take a few years for them to model all of Europe accurately, but you'd finally have your dream game.

would buy :(

Anteater

Well you can simply say "I got it during a steam sale" and people will understand :)

There wasn't a sale for the forest, and everyone knows it!

reposting for new page

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
-
ad5hOev.png
7zwunRg.png
It's ModBot's birthday! Celebrate by giving out something other than bundle garbage today!
7zwunRg.png
ad5hOev.png

- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

The Forest -- MB-D54AC599339A3020 - Taken by CheesecakeRecipe. 71 entrants total.

t1404677753z1.png

PM if it doesn't work I'll gift it through steam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom