• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

I think a better solution would be to move modbot elsewhere and have a giveaway thread and limit him to work there

the problem there: people here would just be posting "wow did you see THAT giveaway on the giveaway thread!? holy shit *link*" and everyone would be discussing it

basically some people are complaining about this thread's shift and looking for a solution and honestly there is none. just keep using the thread as you would, there's plenty of people who act differently and respond to different stuff in here

also it really didnt get like, hella worse in a day or something. you guys need to stop overreacting at something you dont like that happens in a day. shit goes away and changes

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
A possibility of course is simply to use an early post in a thread full of news. If one of us doesn't mind the extra work, and a notice in the thread title perhaps, news could easily be found and collected.

Works well over at CAG for the latest deals in their Steam or Amazon sales despite topics often going elsewhere.

Jadax

This thread isn't so bad tbh. True this recent sale has kind of caused a shit-storm but it makes things interesting.

Turfster

A possibility of course is simply to use an early post in a thread full of news. If one of us doesn't mind the extra work, and a notice in the thread title perhaps, news could easily be found and collected.

It's been tried, but nobody reads the OP or early posts with information.
(Also, with the lifespan of these threads, basically the whole first page would have to be reserved for deals)

Shadownet

Banned
It just depends on your perception.
If you are fine with what appears to be a WEEKLY almost-20000 posts thread, then yeah, things are not that bad. :D

Conversely, just think about the fact that before the sale, this got to be a MONTHLY thread, closing at around almost-25K posts.

Basically, the thread got three to four times faster.

So yeah, I guess things are pretty bad for us used to the old format. :D

Kinda make you veteran members feels old eh Copons? :p

Damn kids with their 20,000 weekly threads. Back in my day...
Old-Man-Yells-At-Cloud-the-simpsons-7414384-265-199.gif

Lol but no, back during the summer sale it was moving even faster than this. But now it dropped off a lot. So I'm glad. I think I like the way things are right now.

I feel this thread is fine but we all need to exercise a little self control and stay on topic and follow the guidelines set out. Also just use a little common sense, if someone spams the thread with unrelated pics and gifs don't go quoting them or try and join in, that's just going to add to the problem. So is complaining about complaining, it's just another post added in to the count. Steam has a massive library now and I'm sure we can bang on for days on end about what we rate, hate and down right berate goes on in there without descending into madness.

Though as someone wise did say a thread or two back some more discussion about what we've been playing, coupled with pictures, videos or gifs of said stuff would really help boost the posting quality up as well as discussion in a back and forth manner on the threads impressions of said game. It does become an echo chamber in here at times and there is a very high signal to noise imbalance but it's not like we're living in the final days of Rome, it's quite easy to get things back on track.

Of course that just me :/

This sounds like the best course of action. Everyone just needs a little self control. Also don't act like this thread is that different from previous threads. The few times I looked into the steam threads pre-sale it was Saoirse gif spam. It's still post-sale hype and the addition of several new members. The off-topicness of this thread will die down eventually.

Caerith

Works well over at CAG for the latest deals in their Steam or Amazon sales despite topics often going elsewhere.

I agree with this. Xelios often did summary posts back when he was active, highlighting all the deals currently active as regards keys that activate on Steam. If someone took up that mantle and edited just post #2 or something on a daily basis, that would be pretty great.

Tizoc

Hmm seems I already made a SpaceChem giveaway?
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
-
ad5hOev.png
7zwunRg.png
It's ModBot's birthday! Celebrate by giving out something other than bundle garbage today!
7zwunRg.png
ad5hOev.png

- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Suguri Collection -- MB-194DF96C5389B572

t1404680181z1.png

Sky Chief

Posting one last time, 45 minutes to go!

Happy Birthday Modbot! In honor here is my first giveaway. I hope I did everything correctly.

Good luck!

ModBot said:
Instructions for Sky Chief:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
-
ad5hOev.png
7zwunRg.png
It's ModBot's birthday! Celebrate by giving out something other than bundle garbage today!
7zwunRg.png
ad5hOev.png

- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Killer is Dead - Nightmare Edition -- MB-E62E4BC57A4CD1C7 - Taken by louiedog

t1404672352z1.png

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It's been tried, but nobody reads the OP or early posts with information.

Yeah, it's a nice idea in theory, but the unfortunate reality of internet-based discussion everywhere is that most people would rather ask than show some initiative.

This sounds like the best course of action. Everyone just needs a little self control. Also don't act like this thread is that different from previous threads. The few times I looked into the steam threads pre-sale it was Saoirse gif spam. It's still post-sale hype and the addition of several new members. The off-topicness of this thread will die down eventually.

I honestly think this is just your memory playing tricks on you. The whole Saoirse thing has died down a lot since Classy made the appreciation thread a year ago. It probably seems like a bigger issue than it actually is since I've been using her as my avatar subject for almost three years now and I'm more or less always here.

Shadownet

Banned

Honestly to me the only time things get out of hands is during late at night when most people are asleep and not much actual discussion was going on. That's when all them Pacas comes out. And anime gifs.

sapsari

Uh...... but we have one already?
Yes we do, but that thread goes really fast and a lot of posts get buried, not a lot of people have time to read 20+ pages a day.

20+ pages a day is not for everyone, thats right. But if there is an important news or a great sale, people will talk about for pages, so even if I look for a few pages that day, I will probably see that important stuff.

Still trying wont hurt though.

Salsa

Yeah, it's a nice idea in theory, but the unfortunate reality of internet-based discussion everywhere is that most people would rather ask than show some initiative.

GAF isnt the end all be all either

cause I mean, at this point we could say "hey how about an OP that gets top post in every page through a bot or something"

but at that point you're just trying to cram everything into GAF for your own convenience. There's plenty of sites that list all the deals and there's forums like CAG for people looking for that specifically. This aint that nor really needs to be.

Copons

Kinda make you veteran members feels old eh Copons? :p

Damn kids with their 20,000 weekly threads. Back in my day...
Old-Man-Yells-At-Cloud-the-simpsons-7414384-265-199.gif

Lol but no, back during the summer sale it was moving even faster than this. But now it dropped off a lot. So I'm glad. I think I like the way things are right now.

LOL I'm not that old!
yet, but oh gosh tomorrow

Parsnip

The thread will slow down again I'm sure.

I hope.

Oh btw, I have an actual game question.
Burial At Sea parts 1 and 2, do they have a lot of combat?

SparkTR

I like it the way it is. I rarely post here, but seeing this thread on front page constantly reminds me how much more prominent Steam is becoming.

But yeah I agree things will inevitably slow down over the coming weeks, no need to fix what's only temporarily broken.

BruteUA

Ask what? What idea? I went and took a dump and forgot to bring my phone in with me, can someone please recap the last 15 pages for me?
Like that?

Anteater

I feel this thread is fine but we all need to exercise a little self control and stay on topic and follow the guidelines set out. Also just use a little common sense, if someone spams the thread with unrelated pics and gifs don't go quoting them or try and join in, that's just going to add to the problem. So is complaining and complaining about complaining, it's just another post added in to the count. Steam has a massive library now and I'm sure we can bang on for days on end about what we rate, hate and down right berate goes on in there without descending into madness.

Though as someone wise did say a thread or two back some more discussion about what we've been playing, coupled with pictures, videos or gifs of said stuff would really help boost the posting quality up as well as discussion in a back and forth manner on the threads impressions of said game. It does become an echo chamber in here at times and there is a very high signal to noise imbalance but it's not like we're living in the final days of Rome, it's quite easy to get things back on track.

it's fine, we just got a lot of new people after the most recent sale, people need time to adapt yo

I guess we could have a column in the OP about what kind of discussion is suggested

I don't thinkanything is going to happen, but just throwing out idea's, granted everyone want's this thread to stay in gaming but people also want latest steam news and deals from various places without having to trawl through posts.
Just asking. Would you be fine with this thread as is, if all alpaca/ariana/saoirse/gift- showing-thanking/waifunami posts were to happen in a separate thread?

Salsa

Also you're all missing a key point here: people who don't look at the OP nor act according to protocol is cause they specifically don't want to

don't force on-topic talk on people who just WANT to stay off-topic, it's pointless

the way to act accordingly and read proper news here is there, and apparent, some people just decide not to.

Oh, there's been begging all right.
Hell, I've done a few myself, mostly in jest, during the sales thread, but there's been people that quite definitely meant it =p

Whats worse : all the gift begging? or when people actually get a gift after begging?

the latter pisses me off

How about a bot that can pick up on news from this thread and post it a news/announcement thread that is locked

- sales of other stores
- price discounts
- news
- upcomming releases

A bot could search this thread by a specific hashtag/phrase and post the users post in the other thread or use a PM system.

Stump?

oh god that sounds like a fuck ton of extra work.

Maybe because I missed most of the alpacagedon but are things really that bad?

..yes..

I feel this thread is fine but we all need to exercise a little self control and stay on topic and follow the guidelines set out. Also just use a little common sense, if someone spams the thread with unrelated pics and gifs don't go quoting them or try and join in, that's just going to add to the problem. So is complaining and complaining about complaining, it's just another post added in to the count. Steam has a massive library now and I'm sure we can bang on for days on end about what we rate, hate and down right berate goes on in there without descending into madness.

Completely agree. If everyone just uses common sense and rational, it shouldn't ever get too bad. Since (and during) the sale, the amount of OT discussion has gone bananas...and since there are so many 'new' people, it spans a few pages. The meme-off from last night? Alpaca-maggedon from a few days ago? The waifu-gifing that actually required mods to step in during the sale? Yeah, stahp that.

JaseC

Ask what? What idea? I went and took a dump and forgot to bring my phone in with me, can someone please recap the last 15 pages for me?
Like that?

Haha, yeah, pretty much. I don't mind helping people out regardless of the question/issue, but when someone asks something like "Is there any point to buying a DDE if the additional content doesn't interest me?" it's hard not to roll your eyes.

Parsnip

Part 1, yes.
Part 2 is a
middling stealth game

Followup question.
How difficult is it?
As someone who hasn't really played a lot of shooters with a controller, I'm wondering if I might be able to play through it on the couch rather than on my desk.

hitmon

If you want to buy multiple gifts on the humble store, do you need to do a separate transaction for each item or will each one have a separate link?

Caerith

Just asking. Would you be fine with this thread as is, if all alpaca/ariana/saoirse/gift- showing-thanking/waifunami posts were to happen in a separate thread?

There are threads for that stuff. We, as a community, just need better self-control about moving the discussions to those threads when they start to dominate this thread.

Saoirse thread, PacaPlus coming to Steam thread, waifu thread (locked for some reason)... Etc.

Turfster

Followup question.
How difficult is it?
As someone who hasn't really played a lot of shooters with a controller, I'm wondering if I might be able to play through it on the couch rather than on my desk.
It's... not very difficult, I guess. It's mostly a slog rather than really difficult.
I'm sure you'll adapt to the controller usage as you play. Otherwise, maybe look into a bluetooth keyboard and mouse for your couch? It's what I use on my HTPC and it's pretty comfortable gaming like that.

And before people jump on me again:
Yes, I'm glad I played both parts of Burial at Sea, but they're not masterpieces.

Copons

I hope Dupy will be hosting cool giveaways to celebrate ur bday

AHAHA

If I may ask for a birthday present: DUPY, please give away some super huge game I really dig like a Civ Beyond Earth GOTY preorder in a 3 hours raffle ending exactly 1 minute before my alarm will go off tomorrow, so there just won't be any possibility at all that I'll be able to get it. :D

ok basically, it would be "any dupy giveaway" for me, but an amazing present for anyone else! :D

I shall give you a birthday
shoutout
tomorrow :D among other things. how old will you be mate?

+1

also here I am offtopicing like you younguns.

Parsnip

less than Infinite for sure

also ep1 and 2 are quite different

worth playing

i played through both episodes with a controller

no problems

It's... not very difficult, I guess. It's mostly a slog rather than really difficult.
I'm sure you'll adapt to the controller usage as you play. Otherwise, maybe look into a bluetooth keyboard and mouse for your couch? It's what I use on my HTPC and it's pretty comfortable gaming like that.

And before people jump on me again:
Yes, I'm glad I played both parts of Burial at Sea, but they're not masterpieces.
Excellent, thanks guys.

JaseC

There are threads for that stuff. We, as a community, just need better self-control about moving the discussions to those threads when they start to dominate this thread.

Saoirse thread, PacaPlus coming to Steam thread, waifu thread (locked for some reason)... Etc.

The waifu thread was locked because it's basically a "Post your favourite ..." thread, which falls under the banner of list threads. The Saoirse thread is image-heavy, but I do bump it with/edit in news when there's some to share. After Classy was banned I was worried that I'd just be talking to myself and the thread would be locked, but fortunately that didn't happen, and judging from my Abload gallery stats it gets quite a lot of lurkers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom