• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I understand the first post not always being read, both as someone who reads many a thread here on NeoGAF and as a moderator on other sites myself where even with fewer members and tamer speeds, too often people will just skip to the last page.
Still, it would give something to point out and as stated, big sales like that last big Amazon deal got a thread, likewise the Summer Sale for GOG where some games were free.

The underlying issue for some of course is the thread sometimes being off topic and away from Steam too much, which I can understand. The best policy there I have always found that is if one wants something from a thread, is to enact it in their thread. Say for example had there been a big discussion over cucumbers or something, had I wanted to discuss games in her I would have written a review or thoughts on games. It may be missed, but it may get someone else to comment or start up a discussion and one can move on from that.

We could also modify our behaviour a bit. For example even with giveaways, we can still use that ModBot quotes to talk about games. If it's a game one loves, a review or thoughts can be attached to it. Stump has even made it possible to add comments directly into the giveaway now (thanks again for that).
If someone wins a game or is gifted a game, perhaps we should strive to talk about it a bit above the standard "thanks". I know I plan to once I finally finish up the current games I'm playing and can try out Prime World: Defenders and discover why it caught jshackles's interest.

Things can go a bit off the rails here and sometimes we do need to be reigned back in. I admit to having been pushed away during that alpaca madness for the few hundred posts it lasted practically, but it calmed down and people mentioned games once again eventually. We just might need someone to say "bit much guys" from time to time to give perspective how it might appear.

--------------------------------------------

So how about that Bad Mojo: Redux? An adventure game where you play as a cockroach and it's full of classic 90's live action FMV (a 1996 title after all). Has anyone picked it up and seen how well it works on modern systems?

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
-
ad5hOev.png
7zwunRg.png
It's ModBot's birthday! Celebrate by giving out something other than bundle garbage today!
7zwunRg.png
ad5hOev.png

- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Knights & Merchant -- MB-FE4610724D9827D6 - Taken by Kyougar. 1 entrants total.
Interstellar Marines -- MB-8AFF101C67065DAD

t1404671362z1.png

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 10 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
-
ad5hOev.png
7zwunRg.png
It's ModBot's birthday! Celebrate by giving out something other than bundle garbage today!
7zwunRg.png
ad5hOev.png

- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Subject 9 #2 -- MB-C70652648D8F90E5
Nightmares from the Deep: The Cursed Heart -- MB-0D8B2B91F7EC126E - Taken by Saty
Gearcrack Arena -- MB-AFC647E286AB4B93
Subject 9 -- MB-197E390F36F78330
Shufflepuck Cantina Deluxe #2 -- MB-ACE072543E3055DB
Oknytt -- MB-4DD39AF67C7C2D71 - Taken by almostheathen
Shufflepuck Cantina Deluxe -- MB-DE5C8523D6D99737 - Taken by Mavromatis
Gearcrack Arena #2 -- MB-466379B9B3176031 - Taken by Lomax
Oknytt #2 -- MB-C23F8CA5DCD8DDB0 - Taken by Kifimbo
Nightmares from the Deep: The Cursed Heart #2 -- MB-332DF5836022BBE9 - Taken by rainking187

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
That's a great trifecta! Divinity Original Sin is awesome even though I've fallen into the never ending loop of creating new characters just to see what the different spells and abilities do.

Every time I begin an RPG I tell myself I won't just make a tank character, but my resolution here always fails to hold. The last time I actually went out of my way to try something different -- last year, with an outlander in Torchlight 2 -- I ended up hating it and used a character editor to make an embermage instead (which, unlike what the name suggests, is perfectly suited for a melee-honed brute).

Lol but no, back during the summer sale it was moving even faster than this. But now it dropped off a lot. So I'm glad. I think I like the way things are right now.

If you compare this to a Sale thread, yeah it's a bit slower. If you compare to the off-sale threads, we are reaching a staggering rate.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I think the thread in principle should stay as it is, but we could probably all use a slap on the butt when things get too shroomy from time to time

I'd love for more people to post more detailed and thought out impressions on games they're currently playing

The news stuff finds it way out through the fuzz anyways

Nibiru

Banned
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
-
ad5hOev.png
7zwunRg.png
7zwunRg.png
ad5hOev.png

- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Nibiru, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Larva Mortus -- MB-A7E2A97493A11EC7

t1404671451z1.png

I'm very new to Modbot so I hope this works.

There are threads for that stuff. We, as a community, just need better self-control about moving the discussions to those threads when they start to dominate this thread.

Saoirse thread, PacaPlus coming to Steam thread, waifu thread (locked for some reason)... Etc.
Me not being part of these cliques, talking about redirecting them to their respective threads is easy said. You are right about having self-control but when people didn't show that on themselves is it realistic to expect them showing it the next time when this thread slows down?
I understand salsa and the ot-clique for having/wanting fun here with the weekly hot topic - whether it'll be alpacas or ex-jailbait ladies. People made friendships here, got to know each other here, and lighten the mood during downtime. Won't lie, in very low doses it can be funny. But mostly the fine line gets overstepped.
On the other side steam-gaf veterans want their routine back which is understandable. Steam with its huge game catalog and non-stop new entries and updates can be overwhelming to follow. Having a dedicated thread is time-saving and practical. Newcomers deluding the idea of this thread can be enraging. Especially when can assume not all will frequent here.
Sale is only over since a couple days. Maybe it's best to let some time pass and watch things self-regulate.

Every time I begin an RPG I tell myself I won't just make a tank character, but my resolution here always fails to hold. The last time I actually went out of my way to try something different -- last year, with an outlander in Torchlight 2 -- I ended up hating it and used a character editor to make an embermage instead (which, unlike what the name suggests, is perfectly suited for a melee-honed brute).

One of these days I will go back and actually put some time in with that game. I really enjoyed the first one and I have had the sequel for ages now. My gaming ADD is killing me. Doesn't help that my wife keeps appropriating my account to play Don't Starve. It might be time to get her a copy of the game for herself.

JaseC

Why won't steam let me email my guest passes so I can give em away? :(

I gave away my Rhythm Destruction guest pass earlier in the year. If for some reason you're not receiving an e-mail or otherwise can't retrieve a gift link, just create a giveaway using gibberish as the key and then add the winner to Steam so you can give him/her the gift via the trade window.

Edit: Err, Rhythm Zone, not Rhythm Destruction.

Edit edit: Oh, if you're trying to send multiple guest passes of the same game to the one address, you can't do that -- if Steam detects that the nominated address already has a pending gift for the game then the second one won't go through.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 20 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
-
ad5hOev.png
7zwunRg.png
7zwunRg.png
ad5hOev.png

- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.

MbmDY6z.png

Mystery Game #9 -- MB-0A87D61B550615DF - Taken by alr1ght. 10 entrants total.
Mystery Game #8 -- MB-187B48F5D1F55555 - Taken by KillerDark. 2 entrants total.
Mystery Game #14 -- MB-4F61E76D81805771 - Taken by tylerf. 1 entrants total.
Mystery Game #19 -- MB-933220527532507C - Taken by CassSept. 1 entrants total.
Mystery Game #18 -- MB-EF534673E3FEA864 - Taken by Catshade. 7 entrants total.
Mystery Game #3 -- MB-01974392000EBF7C - Taken by Monooboe
Mystery Game #2 -- MB-5349CDD0376F96FB - Taken by legacyzero
Mystery Game #12 -- MB-2C139558136D8846 - Taken by thePenguin. 7 entrants total.
Mystery Game -- MB-36E3ABF74D26B6BF - Taken by KainXVIII
Mystery Game #7 -- MB-DE45B8FAF84CD485 - Taken by Speevy
Mystery Game #6 -- MB-FBA1E70E52D9475B - Taken by Tellaerin. 5 entrants total.
Mystery Game #5 -- MB-8B6D28CBB31825FA - Taken by kudoboi. 2 entrants total.
Mystery Game #4 -- MB-69FA05BBB6F255A6 - Taken by PetriP-TNT. 6 entrants total.
Mystery Game #17 -- MB-3675E4482CBC1581 - Taken by VikasNarula. 6 entrants total.
Mystery Game #20 -- MB-4E0420A8526BC475 - Taken by swx. 6 entrants total.
Mystery Game #11 -- MB-01B496BB391B1E30 - Taken by billmcdougal. 1 entrants total.
Mystery Game #16 -- MB-ADBD6CCC41848DC9 - Taken by Kaizen. 2 entrants total.
Mystery Game #13 -- MB-904CABDA90792D47 - Taken by Eanan. 6 entrants total.
Mystery Game #10 -- MB-79EDF3A6F6C0764E - Taken by BadRamen
Mystery Game #15 -- MB-95D75167100506E3 - Taken by Sabas. 4 entrants total.

t1404672080z1.png

Me not being part of these cliques, talking about redirecting them to their respective threads is easy said. You are right about having self-control but when people didn't show that on themselves is it realistic to expect them showing it the next time when this thread slows down?
I understand salsa and the ot-clique for having/wanting fun here with the weekly hot topic - whether it'll be alpacas or ex-jailbait ladies. People made friendships here, got to know each other here, and lighten the mood during downtime. Won't lie, in very low doses it can be funny. But mostly the fine line gets overstepped.
On the other side steam-gaf veterans want their routine back which is understandable. Steam with its huge game catalog and non-stop new entries and updates can be overwhelming to follow. Having a dedicated thread is time-saving and practical. Newcomers deluding the idea of this thread can be enraging. Especially when can assume not all will frequent here.
Sale is only over since a couple days. Maybe it's best to let some time pass and watch things self-regulate.

Agreed. I come to this thread because it's a repository for everything Steam-related - the initial shock/euphoria from the summer sale hasn't worn off yet, which is fine.

I don't want to run around checking various topics if I don't have to. If I want game deals, I can always go to Reddit. I stay here for the gaming conversations/reviews/quirkiness/etc.

Anteater

Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 20 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
-
ad5hOev.png
7zwunRg.png
7zwunRg.png
ad5hOev.png

MbmDY6z.png

Mystery Game #9 -- MB-0A87D61B550615DF
Mystery Game #8 -- MB-187B48F5D1F55555 - Taken by KillerDark
Mystery Game #14 -- MB-4F61E76D81805771
Mystery Game #19 -- MB-933220527532507C - Taken by CassSept
Mystery Game #18 -- MB-EF534673E3FEA864
Mystery Game #12 -- MB-2C139558136D8846 - Taken by thePenguin
Mystery Game #6 -- MB-FBA1E70E52D9475B - Taken by Tellaerin
Mystery Game #5 -- MB-8B6D28CBB31825FA
Mystery Game #4 -- MB-69FA05BBB6F255A6
Mystery Game #17 -- MB-3675E4482CBC1581 - Taken by VikasNarula
Mystery Game #20 -- MB-4E0420A8526BC475 - Taken by swx
Mystery Game #11 -- MB-01B496BB391B1E30
Mystery Game #16 -- MB-ADBD6CCC41848DC9
Mystery Game #13 -- MB-904CABDA90792D47
Mystery Game #15 -- MB-95D75167100506E3

t1404672080z1.png

wtf
tumblr_mjd04ibdur1r2s8gs7a.gif

GFfygqZ.jpg

Long time DW fan, 6 and 7 sucked but I have high expectations for this one (only to have them crushed yet again).

My only wish is to see this - someday - make a comeback

im4gEvuZuRdaf.gif

Caerith

I like fun, too, but something something be the change you wish to see.

Why won't steam let me email my guest passes so I can give em away? :(
You might be limited to one unclaimed gift pass per email at a time? But you should be able to trick the system by sending them to something like:
heroprinny@gmail
h.eroprinny@gmail
he.roprinny@gmail

Etc. The . in the middle doesn't change where it goes, but it's different enough for Steam to be okay with it.

I gave away my Rhythm Destruction guest pass earlier in the year. If for some reason you're not receiving an e-mail or otherwise can't retrieve a gift link, just create a giveaway using gibberish as the key and then add the winner to Steam so you can give him/her the gift via the trade window.

Edit: Err, Rhythm Zone, not Rhythm Destruction.
Ok, I'll try doing this then.
24 cool donw from the last time you emeailed

thats pretty lame.

Rules for this Giveaway:
-
ad5hOev.png
7zwunRg.png
7zwunRg.png
ad5hOev.png

MbmDY6z.png

t1404672080z1.png

That's a lot of Bad Rats.

MikeDown

Banned

Rules for this Giveaway:
-
ad5hOev.png
7zwunRg.png
7zwunRg.png
ad5hOev.png

MbmDY6z.png

t1404672080z1.png

Bad Rats? Or twenty copies of the Witcher 3?

BadRamen

So I finally went ahead and beat Duke Nukem Forever: The Doctor Who Cloned Me story DLC, and I must say, as a fan of the junky but highly enjoyable base game, this was even better. Don't expect mechanics you liked or hated to change much as far as gameplay goes, but the story/writing is right where I wanted Duke to be in the first place with a silly story and fun exploration of quick gags and subtle references to other material (Portal for sure). Having played the shareware copies of a Duke Nukum 1 and 2 back in the olden days, it is extra fun/nostalgy to have Dr. Proton be included, as he provides a very needed foil to Duke's Dukeness, which Duke games in general don't have or seem to just have some pissed off generibadguy.

In short, if you hated DNF, you probably won't be impressed with the DLC, but I would recommend it anyway, as I am both a Duke and a 90s/00s FPS mechanics apologist and it really isn't a bad game (PC only, console versions are terribad, plus four weapon slots only on PC!)

(Will repost later with some screens I shot, all raw and unadulterated)

Speevy

Banned
Hey does anyone have an extra copy of Castle Crashers in your inventory?

I missed it during the sale. If I could buy it off someone for a few bucks, I would appreciate it.

Goddammit, 34 hours in to Fallout 2 and I ran into my second gamebreaking cannot-enter-area bug, this time it wasn't fixed by reinstalling either

iosefe

Rules for this Giveaway:
-
ad5hOev.png
7zwunRg.png
7zwunRg.png
ad5hOev.png

t1404672080z1.png
someone's looking to take at crack at JaseC's giveaway

Rules for this Giveaway:
-
ad5hOev.png
7zwunRg.png
7zwunRg.png
ad5hOev.png

MbmDY6z.png

t1404672080z1.png

Guess this is a nice opportunity to ask but what do we do with Mystery Games turning out games we have? Nuke and reraffle?

yuraya

Just be patient guise. In the future there will be nanomachines that will be connected to a GAF network which will be implanted in your brain. So you will be getting direct live updates sent to your brain and you won't ever need to worry about having a SteamGAF reading backlog. It will all be automated while you sleep so when you wake up you are instantly up to date. Also modbot will have direct access to your veins. By than HL3, TF3, and Portal 3 comes out so the giveaways will be even more crazy.

Ventara

Rules for this Giveaway:
-
ad5hOev.png
7zwunRg.png
7zwunRg.png
ad5hOev.png

MbmDY6z.png

t1404672080z1.png

So which one is Witcher 3?

You're not gonna win JaseC's contest. My 8-ball told me. I'm sorry.

I haven't finished san andreas, I didn't really like it that much, it could be the large map, I stopped playing after that train mission.

San Andreas is the only GTA game I've played since 3 that I didn't actually finish. I was so PUT OFF by the fact that when I returned to the hood that all the territory I had claimed was no longer mine and I was looking at redoing them all again. I just said "this ain't worth it" and sold the game.

That was right around the time that Metroid Prime 2 was out too... and that game had a bad ending section too. That last fight against the King Ing or whatever? Fuck that. Sold before I beat it too.

Monooboe

Rules for this Giveaway:
-
ad5hOev.png
7zwunRg.png
7zwunRg.png
ad5hOev.png

MbmDY6z.png

t1404672080z1.png

How exciting!:D I entered for game 3, 14 and 16, I have a feeling about those. Better not be Bad Rats!;)

JaseC

You might be limited to one unclaimed gift pass per email at a time? But you should be able to trick the system by sending them to something like:
heroprinny@gmail
h.eroprinny@gmail
he.roprinny@gmail

Etc. The . in the middle doesn't change where it goes, but it's different enough for Steam to be okay with it.

I'll just clarify that during the Gmail beta a dot was considered a unique character. For example, if you sent an e-mail to me using lolololwa@gmail.com rather than lololol.wa@gmail.com, it wouldn't reach my inbox.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Oh wow, a Bastion booster pack just arrived in my inventory.
Now to decide to sell or unpack. This is gonna be a looong night...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom