• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadRamen

That Mr. Orange is proposing a new Steam news thread, the purpose this thread originally served, is pretty telling. The vast majority of the content of these threads is unrelated to Steam news, it's give aways, discussing humble bundles, .gifs and insular thread-community posting. I just waded through the last 6 pages to find one post with Grid Autosport impressions buried under giveaway posts and reactions to giveaways.

Last six pages there has been plenty more impressions alone than the singular review of Autosport. I saw Toki Tori 2, recommending of Remember Me and someone asking if Thief 2014 was worth the play. What Steam news are you expecting to happen on a Sunday anyway?

(The Autosport review is only three pages away on default view)

Madridy

Early last year I was interviewing for a really good paying job, and promised Steamgaf (steamgiveaway thread) to do a major giveaway if I got the Job.

Guess what? Today is the anniversary of my first day in the job (1 year) :D

I'm starting with small giveaways slowly but surely, building up to the big giveaway in a couple of weeks. (probably If I didn't get busy with life :p)

Enjoy.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
-
ad5hOev.png
7zwunRg.png
It's ModBot's birthday! Celebrate by giving out something other than bundle garbage today!
7zwunRg.png
ad5hOev.png

- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Bioshock 2 -- MB-C914C21BDB2AFDF4 - Taken by UncleO. 12 entrants total.
The Last Remnant -- MB-908858F9DAF2E1A7 - Taken by The Red Wizard. 20 entrants total.
Bioshock -- MB-B2CF5116D98B4631 - Taken by Alduin. 13 entrants total.

t1404686571z1.png

Good luck all.

I have Ticket To Ride, but are there any other board games on Steam? In the past few months, I've been getting into them. But I don't have many people to play with, so I'd at least like to practice against the AI when I can.

So, wanna give some games, and I bought 2 from the humble store, and purchased them as a gift, the thing is, it bundled the two games... is there a way to give the two games separated, or I need to gift the two games to one winner?

Anteater

That Mr. Orange is proposing a new Steam news thread, the purpose this thread originally served, is pretty telling. The vast majority of the content of these threads is unrelated to Steam news, it's give aways, discussing humble bundles, .gifs and insular thread-community posting. I just waded through the last 6 pages to find one post with Grid Autosport impressions buried under giveaway posts and reactions to giveaways.

Again, what steam news do you need to know that's not already on the steam client or a new thread? Segregating users will guarantee that the news thread is going to die other than the occasionally bump when something minor happens like other pc threads that already exists.

If you want to start a conversation, you can still do it in this thread.

Shadownet

Banned
hey so I followed Ryne instruction to change Metro skin grid layout so that there are no space in between games by opening gamespage_grid document and change "interiorspacing" from 18 to 00.

but nothing changes. already restarted Steam.

iosefe

hey so I followed Ryne instruction to change Metro skin grid layout so that there are no space in between games by opening gamespage_grid document and change "interiorspacing" from 18 to 00.

did you make sure steam was close first then you changed it?

cause i didn't.

i'm gonna go try that

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Did you change the value in Steam's general grid layout file, located in the Steam\resources\layout folder? Changing the value in the skin's own layout file won't work as Steam's general one overrules it.

There is a option to ask people to send thanks in Pm's but the last time I used it only 1/2 of the people actually did it, rest just posted in the forums.
I'm pretty sure all of my giveaways have had it. It's not like any of us aren't guilty of it though, I've posted thanks in this thread quite a bit, but generally it gets edited in to my most recent post that was already talking about something else.

I was guilty of posting in the thread about gifts too, but it really just changes the focus of the thread for that page anytime it happens.
should do it out of courtesy. I'm giving you a free game brah, you should at least send me a pm saying thanks
I meant to help get the thread on track a little more frequently. Of course you should say thank you.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
There is a option to ask people to send thanks in Pm's but the last time I used it only 1/2 of the people actually did it, rest just posted in the forums.

nobody respects the rule anyway. I actively tell people to not plaster shit in the thread when I snipe now, but I cant do it with giveaways

well I could I guess if I was to wait to see who the winnter was and quickly PM him or something, but the hassle >_>

Garcia

I'm beginning to think that PMing thanks for giveaways needs to be standard. Same with getting gifts.

I (edit:) try to never disclose the identity of those who generously gift me games directly. I think that's a way to guarantee no one outside GAF will ever stalk them on Steam.

Early last year I was interviewing for a really good paying job, and promised Steamgaf (steamgiveaway thread) to do a major giveaway if I got the Job.

I'm starting with small giveaways slowly but surely, building up to the big giveaway in a couple of weeks. (probably If I didn't get busy with life :p)

Enjoy.

Good luck all.

Feel sorry for the poor bastard who gets Bioshock 2 but doesn't have 1.

JaseC

which one is the general layout one? there is like 30 files in that folder alone.

Yeah sorry, the initial version of my post wasn't clear on that. Within that folder, you'll see the same layout file -- this is the one you want to edit, not the skin's own one.

nobody respects the rule anyway. I actively tell people to not plaster shit in the thread when I snipe now, but I cant do it with giveaways

well I could I guess if I was to wait to see who the winnter was and quickly PM him or something, but the hassle >_>
Just edit in a fake rule/warning to the modbot part of the post. PM thanks and blacklist anyone who doesn't because they didn't even bother to read everything.

That's kinda harsh though.

Vlad

Personally, I don't see why you'd want to thank somebody in-thread anyway. Does anybody really read every single post in this thread? If I'm busy on the weekend and don't drop by for 36 hours, I know there's no way I'm going to read through all 20+ pages that have appeared in the meantime.

pahamrick

you feel sorry for him getting the better game?

Denzel-Washington-Boom-Gif.gif

I've had Bioshock 2 for ages now and never played it. I kept hearing about how terrible it is, and it just kept getting pushed further and further back on the play list. One of these days I'll install it though.

Turfster

I'm beginning to think that PMing thanks for giveaways needs to be standard. Same with getting gifts.

It would be a lot less annoying without random huge gifs attached to warrant scrolling the entire screen a couple of times, that then get quoted in full a couple of times.
How about we give that a rest?
It doesn't have to be a PM, but how about a simple "thank you X for Y."?
Or thank them in a steamchat?

Personally, I don't see why you'd want to thank somebody in-thread anyway. Does anybody really read every single post in this thread?

I used to, and there's a few others, but lately days, it's... not really feasible any more.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

I think this is a little dramatic. Among the original purposes of this thread are:
- Discussing games on Steam (I'll note I did this on this very page, there's Toki Tori 2 a page ago, Grid Autosport the page before)
- Discussing Steam and community features (there's a discussion about family sharing and community profiles on this very page, as well as trading cards)
- Asking for and getting game recommendations (there's someone posting some of their backlog and asking for recommendations on this page)
- Discussing releases, prices, and deals (including, yes, bundles)

One of the issues of contention here is that this is sort of a space both for people to collect and to play games. So I certainly agree that people should post game impressions and reviews here, but I don't think this should preclude them from being able to discuss finding or buying games. I mean, this is a service with 50+ new games a week and a 10+ year existing library.

In terms of giveaways, I mean, obviously there's a balance. This is sort of a big day for giveaways and it's my fault for calling attention to the fact that it's ModBot's birthday. But there are different types of giveaways--some are just people giving away what amount to worthless bundle keys (although people claim those keys, so it's clearly valuable to the people who claim them). That's sort of a product of the fact that there's a billion bundles a week. While others are legitimately people buying stuff to share. In this three page span a giveaway that involved access to 3000+ Steam games ended, and people gave away literally dozens of high quality games, so it's pretty logical that some people are going to be discussing that. I do think people should probably hold off on some of their getting-rid-of-spare-keys giveaways during times where the page seems filled with them.

The thing is, even if people posted exclusively game impressions and discussion, this would still be one of the biggest, fastest moving threads on GAF. When people post "well I left for 2 hours and there are more posts, what did I miss", that contributes to lower signal-to-noise ratios. Either read the posts or don't read the posts, and honestly, you're better off not reading the posts you're not here for. Mostly as a platform thread this is going to be more ephemeral than a thread built around discussing one specific thing. I mean, if 200 people all posted impressions of the game they played today, the impressions you're looking for would still be buried.

I'm generally more concerned with actual off-topic posts, like extended discussions about TV or movies or GIF spam or whatever. Chat room stuff. That gets in the way and it doesn't really connect to Steam even in a tangential way. Mostly I think if people want to see more game impressions, they should post more game impressions.

Speaking of Bioshock, I'm really tempted to get a soundcard just so I don't have to deal with SFX cutting out when the game gets hectic. No other games have that problem, just Bioshock 1 & 2.

JaseC

Personally, I don't see why you'd want to thank somebody in-thread anyway. Does anybody really read every single post in this thread? If I'm busy on the weekend and don't drop by for 36 hours, I know there's no way I'm going to read through all 20+ pages that have appeared in the meantime.

Yeah, I'd read through past threads, but due to the post-Summer Sale interest this thread tends to move along too quickly even for me, so I've started just searching for my name skipping to the end.

Ventara

There's a rule to say thanks via PM, so if they don't put that in, I assume they want the thanks in the thread. If they don't want the thanks, they can always say so in the post.

Shadownet

Banned
Yeah sorry, the initial version of my post wasn't clear on that. Within that folder, you'll see the same layout file -- this is the one you want to edit, not the skin's own one.

it's alright. I still dont know which one is the Steam General layout document.. im sorry

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

thread-thanking serves ZERO purpose besides gifter ego-stroking. It only leads to "OMG YOURE SO AMAZING" posts or a barrage of random friend invites. Everybody knows who you are already, we dont need it hammered over the head again and again.

dont take this personally Dambrosi, this is more in general, you were just the latest one :p

Mono

I've had Bioshock 2 for ages now and never played it. I kept hearing about how terrible it is, and it just kept getting pushed further and further back on the play list. One of these days I'll install it though.

What!? Bioshock 2 is really great! All the Bioshock games are in my opinion: excellent world building and presentation of narrative. I dislike FPS games but really like the Bioshock series.

JaseC

it's alright. I still dont know which one is the Steam General layout document.. im sorry

Steam\resource\layout\gamespage_grid.layout. If you're still not seeing any difference following a restart of the client, try -1 rather than 00 as Marco suggested. The figure has to be two characters as Steam will replace the file with the default if it detects a file size change.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

So Humble Bundles that give Steam Keys shouldn't be counted as Steam news? :p

I'm going to start doing that whenever I win a raffle, or I'll just mention thanks in the thread when I finally play the game I win. As for saying "you're welcome," I'll probably make a few exceptions for certain games, as in ones that aren't bundle games that I don't have any connection, but rather for games like Starbound in that one giveaway I did that I wanted the community in particular to have, but for the majority of those I'll either say that in the giveaway post or reply to a PM. It just clogs up the thread.

Ruruja

thread-thanking serves ZERO purpose besides gifter ego-stroking. It only leads to "OMG YOURE SO AMAZING" posts or a barrage of random friend invites. Everybody knows who you are already, we dont need it hammered over the head again and again.

dont take this personally Dambrosi, this is more in general, you were just the latest one :p

I thought that's why most people gift games.

eek5

What!? Bioshock 2 is really great! All the Bioshock games are in my opinion: excellent world building and presentation of narrative. I dislike FPS games but really like the Bioshock series.

It wasn't as good as 1 or infinite IMO but it was still pretty good.

So I certainly agree that people should post game impressions and reviews here, but I don't think this should preclude them from being able to discuss finding or buying games.
I agree. But the problem with posting reviews and impressions here is that they're generally ignored. Is that because they're "buried" under Modbot giveaways or because the thread moves too fast in general? I don't know. But I've wanted to post impressions of more than I have, and in the end, I just decided not to bother because it seems very few people read them and even less respond. For example, I won Numba Deluxe last night from an anonymous Modbot giveaway, and it actually turned out to be a really cool, fun surprise hidden gem sort of thing. You won't get resolution options or widescreen support - it's pretty cheap and low budget - but what you do get is an addictive, enjoyable puzzler than can be experienced in quick, convenient bursts. (Though, to be fair, I did get responses for my Super House of the Dead Ninja impressions after I called everyone out on not reading/responding to impressions in general, LOL.)

Anteater

So Copons will know what giveaways he's missing out on when he wakes up

Vuze

Enjoy.

Good luck all.

Congrats on your anniversary and thanks for the giveaway :D
Maybe I'm lucky and will win BioShock 1. I played through Infinite, understood nothing, and I recently touched BioShock 2 but only for Playfire rewards. Eventually I can finally play through the series in a chronological order, the BSI DLCs are still sitting in my library as well.

Rhaknar

I thought that's why most people gift games.

if thats a jab at me, youre wrong. Nor do I think I ever gave the impression that was even remotely true, at least for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom