• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

louiedog

Okay, reposting one more time. Ten minutes to go!!!

Happy Birthday Modbot! In honor here is my first giveaway. I hope I did everything correctly.

Good luck!

Just got home. Saw a PM and my name on the winner list, but then...

JJqrhcm.jpg

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I agree. But the problem with posting reviews and impressions here is that they're generally ignored. Is that because they're "buried" under Modbot giveaways or because the thread moves too fast in general? I don't know. But I've wanted to post impressions of more than I have, and in the end, I just decided not to bother because it seems very few people read them and even less respond. For example, I won Numba Deluxe last night from an anonymous Modbot giveaway, and it actually turned out to be a really cool, fun surprise hidden gem sort of thing. You won't get resolution options or widescreen support - it's pretty cheap and low budget - but what you do get is an addictive, enjoyable puzzler than can be experienced in quick, convenient bursts. (Though, to be fair, I did get responses for my Super House of the Dead Ninja impressions after I called everyone out on not reading/responding to impressions in general, LOL.)

The thread isn't going to change if the people posting in it don't change it. I don't care if you post impressions for Numba Deluxe or not, but if you want it to be a thread where people discuss game impressions, the best way to start is to post game impressions. I've never heard of Numba Deluxe, so if you posted impressions for it, I'd at least have it on my radar. If you feel like there are too many giveaways, the best way to change that is to stop entering for giveaways and stop offering them yourself--I'm not going to try to single you out or whatever, but it's not like you're making this complaint from a position where you've never won or offered games before, right? Like, if this is a problem, you're a part of it?

There's a rule to say thanks via PM, so if they don't put that in, I assume they want the thanks in the thread. If they don't want the thanks, they can always say so in the post.

In response to this discussion I altered ModBot's defaults so that people are asked to PM to thank the giver instead of replying in thread and added a rule NOTHANKS to tell people not to post thank you messages at all, in PM or in thread. I mean, this isn't going to force compliance or anything, but it might at least get people socialized into doing it right.

If you like the movement and aesthetics of Thomas Was Alone but wish they were even more minimal and almost kind of trippy, and you like the rhythm elements of Beatbuddy or Sony's Sound Shapes, and you're looking for a short game with no narrative and awesome rhythm-shmup-ish bosses, then you want to play 140. It's really quite pretty, it lasts maybe 35-40 minutes total (there are only three stages), there are no hidden items or collectibles. Very satisfying, and I highly recommend it. No trading cards and achievements are limited to beating the game and beating the NG+ levels (same levels but backwards and without checkpoints) you unlock when you beat the game.

I'd post screenshots, but you'd just be looking at a few squares and some wiggly lines, you wouldn't even really be aware of what you're looking at.

It's $1 with some other stuff on
https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

Z5x8MwD.jpg
Thanks. This is the game that interested me the most from that bundle, so I'm happy to see positive impressions. I'll be sure to grab it before the bundle expires.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Congrats on your anniversary and thanks for the giveaway :D
Maybe I'm lucky and will win BioShock 1. I played through Infinite, understood nothing, and I recently touched BioShock 2 but only for Playfire rewards. Eventually I can finally play through the series in a chronological order, the BSI DLCs are still sitting in my library as well.

I was going to play through Burial at Sea myself after the second episode, however I've read more than a few comments that say it can get combat-heavy, which is less than ideal as I found BioInf's combat to be its worst element. I'll probably never bother.

Turfster

I agree. But the problem with posting reviews and impressions here is that they're generally ignored. Is that because they're "buried" under Modbot giveaways or because the thread moves too fast in general?
Eh, if you want to post a review or impression, do so.
Not posting it because it'd get buried in the bullshit sort of only helps propagate the bullshit. ;)

I know I at least read all the reviews, and I've done a few myself.
I'm just bad at expressing myself in long form, so my impressions are usually short.

Edit: Stump'd.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
It was a tongue-in-cheek jab, I didn't really mean it. Sorry if my humour is hard to detect.

When Ive actually seen it happen, and loathe it, its hard to find the humor in it

Rhaknar, you have this odd habit of attributing things people post generally to yourself.

he quoted me? wtf...

The thread isn't going to change if the people posting in it don't change it. I don't care if you post impressions for Numba Deluxe or not, but if you want it to be a thread where people discuss game impressions, the best way to start is to post game impressions. If you feel like there are too many giveaways, the best way to change that is to stop entering for giveaways and stop offering them yourself--I'm not going to try to single you out or whatever, but it's not like you're making this complaint from a position where you've never won or offered games before, right? Like, if this is a problem, you're a part of it?
I should probably clarify my stance: I don't think there are too many giveaways. I love them, have entered them, have won, have given away games of my own, etc. I was just speaking about the lack of response for impressions. I don't know why that's the case, and was just throwing out some of the reasons people have said. But you're right: I should just post my own impressions whenever I want to, and hope that other people are eventually encouraged to do the same.

Not posting it because it'd get buried in the bullshit sort of only helps propagate the bullshit. ;)

I'm just bad at expressing myself in long form, so my impressions are usually short.
Same here! I dunno, I read all the impressions and I do appreciate them, but generally don't have much to say about them, so I don't usually respond to them. Call it a leftover from my lurking days.

Shadownet

Banned
Steam\resource\layout\gamespage_grid.layout. If you're still not seeing any difference following a restart of the client, try -1 rather than 00 as Marco suggested. The figure has to be two characters as Steam will replace the file with the default if it detects a file size change.

i switched it to -1. i think it look good enough.

ZLODACM.png

cyrok

Ya Divinity looks pretty good. But still rocking Path of Exile. Now that's an ARPG that I think I could play forever

Speevy

Banned
I've kind of come around to agreeing that perhaps we should limit the thanking posts, but not eliminate them altogether.

However, with that said, I think making exclusionary giveaways for modbot givers is at least as cliqueish as anything steam givers could have concocted. I'm not trying to tell people how to give. They're your games. I'm just saying there's a double standard when you say "Oh look X person gave Y person a game again, here comes the circle jerk.", then give to a smaller sample of the GAF population through modbot.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
I agree. But the problem with posting reviews and impressions here is that they're generally ignored. Is that because they're "buried" under Modbot giveaways or because the thread moves too fast in general? I don't know. But I've wanted to post impressions of more than I have, and in the end, I just decided not to bother because it seems very few people read them and even less respond. For example, I won Numba Deluxe last night from an anonymous Modbot giveaway, and it actually turned out to be a really cool, fun surprise hidden gem sort of thing. You won't get resolution options or widescreen support - it's pretty cheap and low budget - but what you do get is an addictive, enjoyable puzzler than can be experienced in quick, convenient bursts. (Though, to be fair, I did get responses for my Super House of the Dead Ninja impressions after I called everyone out on not reading/responding to impressions in general, LOL.)

I read every post in the Steam threads, so they're not entirely ignored. Not replying ≠ ignoring.

I always read impressions of games specifically, especially if it's from Dusk Golem or Stump since they go very in depth with their impressions.

As for your 8 Bit Commando impressions, I specifically remember reading them because they seemed sort of at odds with Stump's impressions of the game, where your's were more forgiving and you seemed to have more fun with it than he did, and it was interesting to see another perspective. So people do read them :p

eek5

Congrats on your anniversary and thanks for the giveaway :D
Maybe I'm lucky and will win BioShock 1. I played through Infinite, understood nothing, and I recently touched BioShock 2 but only for Playfire rewards. Eventually I can finally play through the series in a chronological order, the BSI DLCs are still sitting in my library as well.

BSI didn't really reference stuff in BS1/2 that much. Nothing really meaningful anyway so you didn't miss anything.

The DLC does reference stuff that happens in BS1 though so I'd hold off on the BSI DLC if you're planning to play BS1/2.

Speevy

Banned
When Ive actually seen it happen, and loathe it, its hard to find the humor in it

he quoted me? wtf...

Right, but he clearly wasn't talking about you. Like I wasn't talking about you when I referred to flashy banners on giveaways (nor was I quoting you at the time).

Sometimes people just have an idea in their head that they want to get out there but that isn't directed at anyone in particular.

So I fucked up, and now im giving a bundle of two games!

header.jpg
header.jpg

ModBot said:
Instructions for sotodefonk:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
-
ad5hOev.png
7zwunRg.png
It's ModBot's birthday! Celebrate by giving out something other than bundle garbage today!
7zwunRg.png
ad5hOev.png

- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (sotodefonk, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Rogue Legacy & Hero Siege Bundle -- MB-F21E43D603700F24 - Taken by Sgt.Pepper. 15 entrants total.

t1404678832z1.png

Mono

If you like the movement and aesthetics of Thomas Was Alone but wish they were even more minimal and almost kind of trippy, and you like the rhythm elements of Beatbuddy or Sony's Sound Shapes, and you're looking for a short game with no narrative and awesome rhythm-shmup-ish bosses, then you want to play 140. It's really quite pretty, it lasts maybe 35-40 minutes total (there are only three stages), there are no hidden items or collectibles. Very satisfying, and I highly recommend it. No trading cards and achievements are limited to beating the game and beating the NG+ levels (same levels but backwards and without checkpoints) you unlock when you beat the game.

I'd post screenshots, but you'd just be looking at a few squares and some wiggly lines, you wouldn't even really be aware of what you're looking at.

It's $1 with some other stuff on
https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

Z5x8MwD.jpg

Thanks for this!!

I loved Thomas Was Alone, but it seems like for all the reasons that aren't present in 140. I like how all the shapes had a different kind of "ability" and the excellent narrative in Thomas Was Alone.

However, rythmn/music based games are one of my favorite game genres, so I might check this out. It's only $1!

JaseC

Ya Divinity looks pretty good. But still rocking Path of Exile. Now that's an ARPG that I think I could play forever

I thoroughly enjoyed what I played of Path of Exile back during the closed beta period, however I ultimately had to cast it aside as there were no AU/NZ servers at the time (bizarre considering GGG is based in NZ) and my ISP is rather unreliable when it comes to international connectivity. I'd love to change ISPs while I wait for the fibre rollout here to finish up, but the ones of repute don't offer anywhere near a large enough quota for a price similar to what I'm paying now (which isn't their fault, to be fair).

Garcia

I'm perfectly fine with Game Impressions in this thread. I read most even if I rarely reply to them. They are a must have; I've bought at least 6 games based on SteamGAF's reviews/impressions.

Mono

I love Path of Exile! I never thought an aRPG would have such a learning curve, though. I still can't get used to the "no money" thing.

Path of Exile has a great feeling of progression and of your character slowly becoming all-powerful, which is what good aRPGs do, in my opinion.

Dr Dogg

Edit: Stump'd.

Well despite your damning criticism of neoThief I still bought it thinking it can't be that bad and by golly it pretty much is. I'm wondering if you're going to do Round II when GTAV comes to Steam :p

def sim

I've had Bioshock 2 for ages now and never played it. I kept hearing about how terrible it is, and it just kept getting pushed further and further back on the play list. One of these days I'll install it though.

It's far from terrible! Bioshock 2 and its DLC, Minerva's Den, are worth checking out. The game being designed around the simultaneous use of plasmids and firearms make up an enjoyable shooter, more so than the first, and you can also focus on melee if that's more your thing. A drill build allows you to wreck most everything in your way with an overwhelming weapon that homes in on your enemies. They pull off the big daddy feel very well and it's a fun game for sure.

Dambrosi

Banned
thread-thanking serves ZERO purpose besides gifter ego-stroking. It only leads to "OMG YOURE SO AMAZING" posts or a barrage of random friend invites. Everybody knows who you are already, we dont need it hammered over the head again and again.

dont take this personally Dambrosi, this is more in general, you were just the latest one :p

Sooooooo next time, I should stick to thanking you via PM? Maybe you should put PMTHANKS in your giveaways from now on, then. Just sayin', that's why it's there, mang.

Still, I can't be offended because I now own Shovel Knight. Which is awesome.

EDIT: Seems I got Stumpkapowed. Nice new tweaks, Stump, hope they work.

Arthea

lemme give you my two cents.

I repeat myself yet again, that I used to read all reviews and game impressions when I was able to follow this thread. I'm so deeply disappointed with professional game reviewers, that I prefer impressions of people that play games and know them. I would take opinion of Doc Doggie, or Stallion, or Dusk, or Caerith (and many other steamgafers) over some site that hires people and forces them play games they hate.
Also I don't understand derogatory stance of Stump on bundles and how he constantly calls them junk. Many games that I like, I bought in bundles.
It's a pity I no longer can follow this thread, but then again, I don't see how it can be fixed.
Not only it's PC megathread, there are so many new posters now, it's just how it is.

cyrok

Put it away and continue adding to the amount until November/December (or October if horror games are your thing). ;)

I JUST saw you're giveaway JaseC... Enko is one lucky SOB haha. that's really cool! Good On you for doing some fun stuff

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Oh you want impressions now? Here goes:

Buy Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death. It's a lot of fun.

I won Numba Deluxe last night from an anonymous Modbot raffle.

header.jpg

I only enter for games that interest me, and this seemed like it had potential.

As I said elsewhere, it actually turned out to be a really cool, fun surprise hidden gem sort of thing. You won't get resolution options or widescreen support - it's pretty cheap and low budget - but what you do get is an addictive, enjoyable puzzler than can be experienced in quick, convenient bursts.

Basically, you have to match patterns of numbers together - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and things like that. There are three modes: classic, timeless, and puzzle. I'll admit I've only played puzzle, and some of them can be challenging to figure out. This is the type of game I can see myself playing a few rounds of every night - and with the various modes, it's something I can hopefully come back to from time to time.

The puzzle genre is something I enjoy, but it seems everything is overshadowed by Popcap (which I like too). Any other recommendations? I already have Yosumin (which I originally imported for the DS), and I recommend that too.

IS Mercenary Kings any good? I am going to buy the humble bundle for Cinders and Raetikon but the BTA is at 6 and Mercenary is 12... 6 bucks a good deal for it or should I wait for the inevitable bundle bundle

Hugstable

Banned
I should probably clarify my stance: I don't think there are too many giveaways. I love them, have entered them, have won, have given away games of my own, etc. I was just speaking about the lack of response for impressions. I don't know why that's the case, and was just throwing out some of the reasons people have said. But you're right: I should just post my own impressions whenever I want to, and hope that other people are eventually encouraged to do the same.

Just write your impressions. What I did for my impressions of Valiant Hearts was I wrote my review on Steam and used that same review to post here along with something linking to my Steam Review itself. Then whenever someone asked about Valiant Hearts like what happened a bit this past week, I usually just wrote up something small and at times reposted my link to my original Steam impressions review. I don't care if anyone responds to it or not. But post your impressions please, I'm pretty sure tons of people will read it and become interested, even if they don't post back to reassure you they read it.

Edit: BTW I should have my review for Shovel Knight up sometime tomorrow. Gotta finish Dark Souls also, even though I'm pretty sure noone needs a review to tell them how great this game is lol.

JaseC

I JUST saw you're giveaway JaseC... Enko is one lucky SOB haha. that's really cool! Good On you for doing some fun stuff

I considered incorporating some sort of activity, however I ultimately figured that it'd be best to just give everyone (well, every eligible user) an equal chance and let fate ModBot decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom