• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

yGray

Banned
I bought Bioshock 2 used on PS3 two years ago. I let it sit in my closet it for over a year till I sold it back for $10 less than what I paid for. Greatest purchase ever.

Turfster

Well despite your damning criticism of neoThief I still bought it thinking it can't be that bad and by golly it pretty much is. I'm wondering if you're going to do Round II when GTAV comes to Steam :p

See, people never believe me, but I always end up being right!
As for a second round of GEETAV, I think I've said pretty much all I want about it.
Of course, this was like... 6 threads ago ;)

(I'm not rebuying it though, I felt a deep sense of satisfaction when I resold my copy for only a 10% ding, which I gladly paid as learning money.)

Some leftover keys I found on my humble bundle account.
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
-
ad5hOev.png
7zwunRg.png
It's ModBot's birthday! Celebrate by giving out something other than bundle garbage today!
7zwunRg.png
ad5hOev.png

- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Hero Prinny, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

vRvbDCu.png
(origin) Populous -- MB-2BD243F3508993C9
vRvbDCu.png
(Origin) Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 Uprising -- MB-72291D641D26C998 - Taken by cyrok

t1404689452z1.png

cyrok

I considered incorporating some sort of activity, however I ultimately figured that it'd be best to just give everyone (well, every eligible user) an equal chance and let fate ModBot decide.

ya thats really cool, And this modbot is the coolest thing since slice bread here haha

Yakkue

lemme give you my two cents.

I repeat myself yet again, that I used to read all reviews and game impressions when I was able to follow this thread. I'm so deeply disappointed with professional game reviewers, that I prefer impressions of people that play games and know them. I would take opinion of Doc Doggie, or Stallion, or Dusk, or Caerith (and many other steamgafers) over some site that hires people and forces them play games they hate.
Also I don't understand derogatory stance of Stump on bundles and how he constantly call them junk. Many games that I like, I bought in bundles.
It's a pity I no longer can follow this thread, but then again, I don't see how it can be fixed.
Not only it's PC megathread, there are so many new posters now, it's just how it is.

Agreed completely.
I also always wonder why Stump seems to be so hard on bundled games. Some of my favourite games have already been bundled (Edna & Harvey: The breakout, for example). Sure, there can be a lot of trash in bundles, but there are also tons of very enjoyable games in them. They wouldn't be as popular otherwise.

As for your 8 Bit Commando impressions, I specifically remember reading them because they seemed sort of at odds with Stump's impressions of the game, where your's were more forgiving and you seemed to have more fun with it than he did, and it was interesting to see another perspective. So people do read them :p
Can you link me to Stump's impressions? I missed those and would love to read them. Even though I had more fun with it, I will probably end up agreeing with most of what he said because the game is a hot mess from a technical standpoint (broken menus, bad optimization, etc.).

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
speaking of game impressions, what we need is a big ass impression of Sunless Sea from Dusk Golem, because that game is too expensive to go in blindly, but damn if it doesnt look cool

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
The puzzle genre is something I enjoy, but it seems everything is overshadowed by Popcap (which I like too). Any other recommendations? I already have Yosumin (which I originally imported for the DS), and I recommend that too.

I'm not really into puzzle games, but I've heard a lot of good things about Spacechem.

This old thread has a few titles in it too.

Can you link me to Stump's impressions? I missed those and would love to read them. Even though I had more fun with it, I will probably end up agreeing with most of what he said because the game is a hot mess from a technical standpoint (broken menus, bad optimization, etc.).

I searched around for it, but I can't seem to find it at the moment, but I think it was in either the May or June thread.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I bought Bioshock 2 used on PS3 two years ago. I let it sit in my closet it for over a year till I sold it back for $10 less than what I paid for. Greatest purchase ever.

I pre-ordered Bio2 on Steam back in the day but didn't finish it until ~mid-2010... on the PS3. At the time I had trouble getting into PC games that weren't CS and preferred consoles instead for multiplats. Minerva's Den I haven't played at all, but I'd like to get around to doing so one day.

cyrok

I love Path of Exile! I never thought an aRPG would have such a learning curve, though. I still can't get used to the "no money" thing.

Path of Exile has a great feeling of progression and of your character slowly becoming all-powerful, which is what good aRPGs do, in my opinion.

ya but the best and worst part is playing harcore mode haha. thats the ONLY way to play

Hugstable

Banned
I'm probably gonna do a quick impression of 100% Orange Juice as well once I get a full game of 4 going and don't play against the computer and their cheap ass dice rolls.

Garcia

Agreed completely.
I also always wonder why Stump seems to be so hard on bundled games. Some of my favourite games have already been bundled (Edna & Harvey: The breakout, for example). Sure, there can be a lot of trash in bundles, but there are also tons of very enjoyable games in them. They wouldn't be as popular otherwise.

And this is exactly why impressions and feedback are so important. I didn't know a thing about that game you mentioned and I'm now looking at it on Steam.

Stump, since I'm lazy as hell, can you make the ModBot to link to the giver's profile so we don't have to manually add or search the user when making a PM?

Nibiru

Banned
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
-
ad5hOev.png
7zwunRg.png
It's ModBot's birthday! Celebrate by giving out something other than bundle garbage today!
7zwunRg.png
ad5hOev.png

- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Nibiru, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Larva Mortus -- MB-A7E2A97493A11EC7

t1404679370z1.png

Try this again:)

mannerbot

Agreed completely.

It's not a matter of quality. With regards to giveaways, there's a pretty big difference between buying a $15+ game specifically to give away and just dumping leftover duplicate bundle games into ModBot.

And this is exactly why impressions and feedback are so important. I didn't know a thing about that game you mentioned and I'm now looking at it on Steam.

People aren't questioning whether impressions should be allowed here, they're saying that the thread SHOULD mostly be impressions and instead they're drowned away in giveaways and chat room type stuff.

I'm not really into puzzle games, but I've heard a lot of good things about Spacechem.

This old thread has a few titles in it too.
Looks like I actually have Spacechem and Swapper already, likely from bundles. Thanks!

Agreed completely.
Same here. True, there is a lot of crap in bundles, but I've gotten some great games from them. I guess it "means more" if someone pays real money to give away a game outside of a bundle - I can't dispute the awesome generosity of that - but I've scored some cool bundle stuff too. Even the "crap" has someone who is interested.

Mono

Guys, sorry if already covered, but is Godus any good? 75% right now on GMG.

Godus is complete shitwere! It was obviously designed with iOS in mind and the gameplay boils down to clicking on each individual house over and over again. There's no way to click on them all.

It's no more than those time-gated iOS games of touching things to get improvements, IMO. :(

Turfster

Last I heard of it, it was still pretty meh and nothing more than a glorified terrain-smoother.
Of course, this was a few months ago, and these things evolve quickly.
The fact that I haven't heard any buzz at all about it doesn't really make me think it's suddenly gotten amazing, though.

Arthea

I won Numba Deluxe last night from an anonymous Modbot raffle.

pic

I only enter for games that interest me, and this seemed like it had potential.

As I said elsewhere, it actually turned out to be a really cool, fun surprise hidden gem sort of thing. You won't get resolution options or widescreen support - it's pretty cheap and low budget - but what you do get is an addictive, enjoyable puzzler than can be experienced in quick, convenient bursts.

Basically, you have to match patterns of numbers together - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and things like that. There are three modes: classic, timeless, and puzzle. I'll admit I've only played puzzle, and some of them can be challenging to figure out. This is the type of game I can see myself playing a few rounds of every night - and with the various modes, it's something I can hopefully come back to from time to time.

The puzzle genre is something I enjoy, but it seems everything is overshadowed by Popcap (which I like too). Any other recommendations? I already have Yosumin (which I originally imported for the DS), and I recommend that too.
I love puzzle games, from times of first Tetris, I believe that Puzzle games are real ones, and others are distractions in between (><)
only partly kidding here
My favourites that are on steam:
Puzzle Quest games (especially first one Challenge of the Warlords is masterpiece)
Might and Magic: Clash of heroes (it's more of a mix of genres, but I still consider gameplay mostly puzzle based, same as Puzzle Quest)
Peggle games
Bejeweled 3 is very nice game
10,000,000 is hilarious in a way
Hexcells
The Bridge (it's very different type of puzzle game)
Kairo
I'm into Mensa Academy now, it has bad parts, but a lot of good ones too.

There are probably much more that I'm forgetting now.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

I've not played it myself, but I don't think I've ever read an overly positive review of the game. You'd probably be better off grabbing the Populous titles on Origin instead.

Dingotech

IS Mercenary Kings any good? I am going to buy the humble bundle for Cinders and Raetikon but the BTA is at 6 and Mercenary is 12... 6 bucks a good deal for it or should I wait for the inevitable bundle bundle

In my opinion no it's not really worth it.

The game felt like a massive grind and that's after I only played it for two hours. Repetitive levels, enemies and missions meant I was bored really quickly, and that was me playing in coop.

Somebody else might recommend it but it was the first PS+ game that I've played and won't be going back to.

Shepard

Godus is complete shitwere! It was obviously designed with iOS in mind and the gameplay boils down to clicking on each individual house over and over again. There's no way to click on them all.

It's no more than those time-gated iOS games of touching things to get improvements, IMO. :(

Last I heard of it, it was still pretty meh and nothing more than a glorified terrain-smoother.
Of course, this was a few months ago, and these things evolve quickly.
The fact that I haven't heard any buzz at all about it doesn't really make me think it's suddenly gotten amazing, though.
I've not played it myself, but I don't think I've ever read an overly positive review of the game. You'd probably be better off grabbing the Populous titles on Origin instead.

Yeah, that was the impression I got from the videos. So much for a new Populous :(

Kiru

Those are also my thoughts from seeing a video a long time ago. Looked horrible.

derExperte

I'm generally more concerned with actual off-topic posts, like extended discussions about TV or movies or GIF spam or whatever. Chat room stuff. That gets in the way and it doesn't really connect to Steam even in a tangential way.

And there's been a lot of that. Especially some recent arrivals seem to think that this is their new personal chatroom or lifeblog and keep posting the most random shit that's even more random than what was going on before. I've put some on my ignore list and it helps and I know that we've had 'going to bed' running jokes or the like in the past but the faster this thing moves anyway the more a little self restraint would help.

Or maybe I just need a GAF break.
Nope.

I've been thinking of setting up a playtime for Counter Strike:GO on the weekend (possibly week days as well). Judging by the number of responses I've had and the number of people I've played with I think we can do some 5v5 matches. If there aren't enough people we'll just use bots to fill the empty holes or play in the public queue.

To judge interest in this, please PM me on GAF that you are interested and what times you are available. Do not worry about skill level, anyone is welcome.

If I can garner enough interest, I will formally create a time where people from GAF can play together and I will post in this thread every time we start to play so it's open to everyone.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Any standout deals on the Humble Store today? Sadly, this thread moves way too fast now.

Rogue Legacy is $3.74, same as it was during the summer sale. Shadowrun: Dragonfall, the DLC for Shadowrun Returns, is $5.99, which is around the same price as it was in the summer sale too. It's supposed to be better than the base game. Hotline Miami is $1.99 if you don't have that yet.

Wasteland is $2.99. It's an old scifi RPG that's basically the forerunner of Fallout.

Chariot

Papo & Yo #4 -- MB-9FE35D248E5A8BE0
Papo & Yo #3 -- MB-5750D8B6E07C3CDC - Taken by bluechox2. 3 entrants total.
Papo & Yo #2 -- MB-4F39690A2AAA1D68 - Taken by Link Man. 6 entrants total.
Papo & Yo #5 -- MB-B275CDD3AAB96B8C - Taken by ReduxMachine. 6 entrants total.
Papo & Yo -- MB-498E4F9720626330 - Taken by astrogamer. 2 entrants total.
Papo & Yo #6 -- MB-E00FABFBEA5D1761
Interesting spread of entrants.

Puzzle Quest games (especially first one Challenge of the Warlords is masterpiece)
Didn't even realize these were on Steam! I played the shit out of the first one on DS (which is the system that rekindled my love for the puzzle genre).

Thank you for the rest of your list too. Going to look into all of them.

The only one I could never get into was Hexcells. Don't know why. I know everyone else speaks of it fondly. Guess it's just not my thing, or maybe I just don't get it...who knows?

Anteater

played a bit of 99 spirits

I'm actually kind of liking it despite of several problems with the game. I mean really some words are impossible to figure out without a guide, Torii!?, what the hell is that!?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
RE: 140

Is it the type platformer to get frustrating at all? You did say it was short, so maybe not. I'd seen the logo somewhere before but hadn't looked into the game yet.

I would say it's challenging, but there are checkpoints every few seconds and when you die you respawn instantly, so the design is built around making the challenge not frustrating. The three bosses are quite hard but it's very satisfying to figure out their patterns and respond accordingly. The game is fair, when you die it's because you didn't stay on rhythm properly.

I elaborated a little more on the game in my Steam review:
140 is a very short (~45 minutes or so, maybe less) platformer with ultra-minimal geometric graphics, a little reminiscent of Thomas Was Alone with even more of a commitment to visual minimalism and trashy, angry-psychadelic graphics. What sets it apart is that the platforming is built around rhythm elements, much like something like Beatbuddy or Sony/PSN's "Sound Shapes". Basically, as you go through the levels there are timed obstacles, platforms, and other mechanics that play along with the dirty, dub-step / glitch electronica that comprises the music. Periodically you will collect an orb which you bring to a set point, which causes the colour palette, sound, and mechanics to shift. At the end of each of the three levels is a boss which functions kind of like a shoot-em-up-ish genre. If you die, the screen dissolves into analog TV fuzz as the music glitches out even further and you respawn at the nearest checkpoint.

Cheat code: If you want to make the game easier, go slowly and count out a beat. Mostly the rhythm patterns seem to be 4/4 or 8/8 so if you can count the beat in your head you'll be able to crack the code no problem.

Whether you feel like you'll get $5 out of such a short game is up to you, but I found it to be a great experience. Often times when I died, I chuckled in spite of myself because I found the rhythm mechanics very clever. I especially liked the bosses.

Because of the emphasis on music, I recommend headphones--certainly you would find it very difficult to play without audio.

Hopefully this review has given you the information you need to try to decide whether or not this is for you.

Stump, since I'm lazy as hell, can you make the ModBot to link to the giver's profile so we don't have to manually add or search the user when making a PM?

Done

It's not a matter of quality. With regards to giveaways, there's a pretty big difference between buying a $15+ game specifically to give away and just dumping leftover duplicate bundle games into ModBot.

Well, I mean, when I am hard on bundle dumps, it's not because I'm against them (I dump my bundle keys into ModBot as well, and I normally leave commentary on the games I actually like from the bundles). There are tons of great games in bundles. There's no shame in a game being in a bundle. Most of my favourite releases of the last 5 years have ended up in bundles. The message shouldn't be that bundle games aren't worth playing, the message is more that bundle games have relatively low worth because they're easily available for basically no cost and they're given away largely by people who place little-to-no value in them and would otherwise let the keys rot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom