• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryne

speaking of game impressions, what we need is a big ass impression of Sunless Sea from Dusk Golem, because that game is too expensive to go in blindly, but damn if it doesnt look cool

I went in blindly ;_;

Should play it soon, if I can pry myself away from autosport long enough

Yakkue

And this is exactly why impressions and feedback are so important. I didn't know a thing about that game you mentioned and I'm now looking at it on Steam.

It's a really great point & click adventure! The puzzles all seemed fair to me, but what I liked best is that you can combine anything and everything with each other and every combination has its own funny reaction (not just: "I can't do that" or something similar, which seems to be popular nowadays). The characters are all lovably weird and there are even different endings.
It was made by one of the Daedalic founders with a very small team (before Daedelic existed), so it doesn't have the most beautiful graphics or elaborate animations, but I thought it looked charming and fitted the theme of the game :) Can only recommend it if you enjoy point & click adventures!

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
speaking of game impressions, what we need is a big ass impression of Sunless Sea from Dusk Golem, because that game is too expensive to go in blindly, but damn if it doesnt look cool

actually it's a pretty cool game ... think FTL meets Cthulhu ;) also - you can actually control your ship yourself (not just jump from point to point like in FTL) ... pretty heavy on the story-side too

Probably been covered before, but does anyone have any pc-centric podcast recommendations?

I currently listen to the Bombcast, Gamers with Jobs, and Idle Thumbs; and I pretty much get through those on the nose in my workouts each week. But now my work commute is about to go from nuthin' (I walk to work) to 30 minutes (movin' to the suburbs).

Those three seem to coexist pretty well as the tone is very different across them; GwJ is only an hour and the most pc-centric, Idle Thumbs is.. Idle Thumbs, and Bombcast is barely even a gaming podcast these days. I have a sneaking suspicion that the three podcasts above are about all the "gaming" podcastery I can take per week and won't really want to listen to four game-centric podcasts, but is there a really good pc-centric gaming podcast that I should at least check out now and then?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
actually it's a pretty cool game ... think FTL meets Cthulhu ;) also - you can actually control your ship yourself (not just jump from point to point like in FTL) ... pretty heavy on the story-side too

tumblr_lx4gg6Ftww1qb9h9jo1_400.gif

how early access is it?

Arthea

I'm probably gonna do a quick impression of 100% Orange Juice as well once I get a full game of 4 going and don't play against the computer and their cheap ass dice rolls.

I'm totally in, if we can find 4 people to play this game. If you don't have me added, add now!

Hugstable

Banned
I've been thinking of setting up a playtime for Counter Strike:GO on the weekend (possibly week days as well). Judging by the number of responses I've had and the number of people I've played with I think we can do some 5v5 matches. If there aren't enough people we'll just use bots to fill the empty holes or play in the public queue.

To judge interest in this, please PM me on GAF that you are interested and what times you are available. Do not worry about skill level, anyone is welcome.

If I can garner enough interest, I will formally create a time where people from GAF can play together and I will post in this thread every time we start to play so it's open to everyone.

You already know I'm interested :D

lashman

tumblr_lx4gg6Ftww1qb9h9jo1_400.gif

how early access is it?

umm ... I'd say it's probably not that far off from being released ... few months tops ... unless they're planning on dropping some enormous bomb and change the entire game around - it's got a lot of stuff in. I think they were developing it for at least a year before they dropped it on steam (don't quote me on that one, though - I'm not entirely sure)

Pakkidis

Wow FINALLY Crysis is on sale. Just bought Crysis and warhead. Never played them before, so I'm eagerly expecting good things. Only played crysis 2+3 on consoles....

Posted impressions here a few days ago

So I've been playing Sunless Sea and I'm enjoying it

When the Kickstarter was going on, I hadn't been that interested...and then I checked out Fallen London

What an amazing world, a mix of Lovecraftian and Gothic elements, with a dash of steampunk and a sense of dark wit. It's extremely well written, bringing this dark atmospheric place alive with vivid descriptions. It's a world I wanted to explore more of and with Sunless Sea, I can.

Sunless Sea lets you explore the vast Unterzee, a sprawling expanse of ocean deep beneath the earth where grotesque things and terrible fates await those who dare venture into the abyss. As captain, you command your vessel and crew as you discover new lands, fight dangerous enemies, upgrade your ship with better parts and new weapons. Starvation, madness, mutinous crews, and horrors beyond comprehension await out on the black waters

You travel the sea, always mindful of your fuel, your food, the sanity of your crew. Pirates and worst things move across the water. Combat is quite interesting. In the damp dark of the Unterzee, light is your greatest ally. When fighting you have three category of actions: offensive (cannons, torpedoes, etc.), illumination, and evasion. Each action takes a certain amount of time to enact, and you can pause the fight and queue commands. You need to illuminate your enemy to be able to attack and also want to perform evasive maneuvers to reduce how illuminated your ship is. It's definitely an interesting take on combat, quite strategic

But the meat of the game is the exploration and discovery and the cost of pursing such goals. You encounter new places, collect weird and mysterious cargo from travelers, set out on quests, gather a crew, choose to stay among known islands or brave the suffocating dark of uncharted waters. Maybe your crew will go mad. Maybe you'll discover some incredible fortune. Maybe you'll run out of food and need to eat your mates to survive. Terrible fates await and like Fallen London, it's all delivered through such compelling atmospheric writing.

derExperte

Probably been covered before, but does anyone have any pc-centric podcast recommendations?

I currently listen to the Bombcast, Gamers with Jobs, and Idle Thumbs; and I pretty much get through those on the nose in my workouts each week. But now my work commute is about to go from nuthin' (I walk to work) to 30 minutes (movin' to the suburbs).

Those three seem to coexist pretty well as the tone is very different across them; GwJ is only an hour and the most pc-centric, Idle Thumbs is.. Idle Thumbs, and Bombcast is barely even a gaming podcast these days. I have a sneaking suspicion that the three podcasts above are about all the "gaming" podcastery I can take per week and won't really want to listen to four game-centric podcasts, but is there a really good pc-centric gaming podcast that I should at least check out now and then?

PC Gamer has a podcast http://www.pcgamer.com/category/podcast/ but apparently it's not weekly anymore and I stopped listening to them a while ago. Player One is good and has some PC talk and if you like strategy games check out Three Moves Ahead.

Garcia

Dude, Wishlisted so hard becasue of the bolded part.

It's a really great point & click adventure! The puzzles all seemed fair to me, but what I liked best is that you can combine anything and everything with each other and every combination has its own funny reaction (not just: "I can't do that" or something similar, which seems to be popular nowadays). The characters are all lovably weird and there are even different endings.
It was made by one of the Daedalic founders with a very small team (before Daedelic existed), so it doesn't have the most beautiful graphics or elaborate animations, but I thought it looked charming and fitted the theme of the game :) Can only recommend it if you enjoy point & click adventures!

Well if you want to read more impressions I did a short one for Always Sometimes Monster.

Thanks for sharing some more!

I'm not Dusk Golem, but i've played it for two hours so far. I'd say the big strengths of the game are the writing and the atmosphere way, way over the actual game mechanics itself. Man that game is hard to explain, but it shows a lot of promise.

So, I guess the best description would be a.. uh... story simulator? So you become a captain of a boat in a sunken Lovecraftian London archipelago. There's sort of two distinct "phases" to the game.

ON-SHORE
It's almost like a choose your own adventure thing. You'll put into port, there'll be a list of locations to visit, where things might happen. A lot of options are greyed out unless you meet certain requirements (i.e. "Have 1 Dark Secret, over 50 story fragments, and Terror is below 40"). You will talk to people, get "quests" (delivery, discovery, etc), get new crew members, fill your holds, etc.

So, for example, early on you might have left London under orders from someone to go check what's going on at Port X. Along the way, you see a lighthouse that looks abandoned, but if you dock there you might find three sisters holding a macabre dinner. Based on how you react to them certain things might happen. Based on what happens, you might leave the lighthouse with different scores on various metrics, and story-based supplies (stories, secrets, terror, etc), that will impact your ability to trigger or avoid other scenes down the road.

ON-SEA
You are exploring the archipelago, going from port to port delivering stuff, and getting into *(currently kind of janky) combat. The combat is sort of like FTL in that it's real-time, but your actions have spin-up timers, and you can pause at any time to add actions to your action queue. Basically, you want to illuminate your opponent to fire at them, while simultaneously evading to lower your illumination so they'll miss you. The combat is... eh it's functional. But it's not very "fun."

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
I'm probably gonna do a quick impression of 100% Orange Juice as well once I get a full game of 4 going and don't play against the computer and their cheap ass dice rolls.

When do you plan on playing that? I'm a little busy at the moment, but I could play it later.

Please don't tempt me to buy a non bundle game ;_;

I could get it for $10.44/5 keys from the Russians if it's not region locked, but I'm trying not to spend money.

Started Gone Home today. Pretty creepy walking simulator.

sounds awesome. Wishlisted
for when out of Early Access

lashman

Please don't tempt me to buy a non bundle game ;_;

I could get it for $10.44/5 keys from the Russians if it's not region locked, but I'm trying not to spend money.

well, what else can I say? ;) that's pretty much what this game is :) and the atmosphere is so thick you could cut it with a knife :) dat victorian steampunk London :3

Pakkidis

Started Gone Home today. Pretty creepy walking simulator.

sounds awesome. Wishlisted
for when out of Early Access

What's with everybody playing Gone Home, (I just beat it yesterday) A very different experience which I enjoyed.

I also beat Clive Barkers Jericho and when I tried to write a review steam took me to recommended games. I guess it was pulled. I assume legal reasons are the reason games no longer appear on steam?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Wow FINALLY Crysis is on sale. Just bought Crysis and warhead. Never played them before, so I'm eagerly expecting good things. Only played crysis 2+3 on consoles....

Crysis and Warhead are both solid "wide-linear" shooters, although things take a bit of a dive once the aliens show up -- they're at their best when you're left to your own devices to dispatch of human soldiers. I also prefer the jungle setting to the city locations of Crysis 2 and the mix of both in Crysis 3.

I've been meaning to update my steam email forever, ever since I lost access to the account that received forwards from the account that was set up with steam.

And then today randomly it asks me to update my email without requiring email verification on the old account... odd. But helped me out at least.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I also beat Clive Barkers Jericho and when I tried to write a review steam took me to recommended games. I guess it was pulled. I assume legal reasons are the reason games no longer appear on steam?

Licence expirations are the big one, yeah, As for Jericho in particular, it's still being sold elsewhere (e.g. Amazon); I think it was pulled voluntarily due to start-up crashes related to the game requiring a relatively ancient version of the PhysX software.

maneil99

What's with everybody playing Gone Home, (I just beat it yesterday) A very different experience which I enjoyed.

I beat that game on 360, it wasn't that bad.

It's still being sold elsewhere (e.g. Amazon). I think it was pulled voluntarily due to start-up crashes related to the game requiring a relatively ancient version of the PhysX software.

Yes! Another game I own on steam that other people can no longer buy. Unfortunately Clive Barkers Jericho is terrible :(.

Edit: Reading comprehension fail, damnit. I guess people on steam can't buy it anymore that's less purchasing competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom