• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pakkidis

Licence expirations are the big one, yeah, As for Jericho in particular, it's still being sold elsewhere (e.g. Amazon); I think it was pulled voluntarily due to start-up crashes related to the game requiring a relatively ancient version of the PhysX software.

Which I installed to get the game to work. Hope this doesn't cause conflicts with other games? Why do I even need it, I have an AMD card.

Ryne

If I can garner enough interest, I will formally create a time where people from GAF can play together and I will post in this thread every time we start to play so it's open to everyone.
I won't be able to give you available times, but if I'm online when you guys play CSGO I would like to join

Salsa

I finished Shovel Knight yesterday (in bed cause superior version) and god damn that was good.

GOTY along with Divinity so far. If the game had come out during the era it emulates it would deserve a spot right alongside something like Mega Man 2.

Zeknurn

Shadowrun Dragonfall is great, but requires the basic game.
Party of Sin is shit and certainly not worth that money.

Rogue Legacy is $3.74, same as it was during the summer sale. Shadowrun: Dragonfall, the DLC for Shadowrun Returns, is $5.99, which is around the same price as it was in the summer sale too. It's supposed to be better than the base game. Hotline Miami is $1.99 if you don't have that yet.

Wasteland is $2.99. It's an old scifi RPG that's basically the forerunner of Fallout.

Rogue legacy is 3.74 and Hero Siege its 0.89

Rogue Legacy for 2.99€ maybe?

I have Rogue Legacy and Hotline Miami already but I'll look into Wasteland, SR: Dragonfall and Hero Siege.
Thanks everyone.

I was going to mention The Floor is Jelly, but it's back up to full price.

I did see that deal and I wasn't too sure about it. I'll reconsider it next time it's on sale if it has received the JaseC seal of approval.

now?

its been moving too fast for like years

Well I had no problems keeping up before the summer sale but now there's like over 1000 new posts made during the night about alpacas, anime, gifs and god knows what. I now skip to the last page right away but I'm going to miss reading all the great game recommendations in this thread.

I would be down with a thread dedicated to just PC game deals that would make it quick and easy to get a grasp on all the available deals for the day.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Which I installed to get the game to work. Hope this doesn't cause conflicts with other games? Why do I even need it, I have an AMD card.

PhysX in general is a vendor-agnostic middleware solution not unlike Havok; it's just the hardware-accelerated effects that are Nvidia-exclusive.

Sky Chief

Okay friends, I feel like just giving away one present for ModBot's Birthday wasn't enough!

Second giveaway ever, hopefully this one links properly ;)

Good luck!!!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
-
ad5hOev.png
7zwunRg.png
It's ModBot's birthday! Celebrate by giving out something other than bundle garbage today!
7zwunRg.png
ad5hOev.png

- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Sky Chief, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Crysis -- MB-49C22C9B2E22F183

t1404691612z1.png

derExperte

I can't tell what's going on in that picture since it seems to have been autoresized.

You can click on any resized picture on GAF to make it bigger again.

Oh I can see that, lol. How and why is he still on XP, and how and why is he still on SP1 is what I wanna know. Unless he isn't.

The number one reason people are using XP with an old Service Pack is a very shady one. If you know what I mean.

liezryou

When do you plan on playing that? I'm a little busy at the moment, but I could play it later.

Please don't tempt me to buy a non bundle game ;_;

I could get it for $10.44/5 keys from the Russians if it's not region locked, but I'm trying not to spend money.

Whos selling for 5 keys? I'd like to buy a couple of em myself if that were the case.

Everyone i know is selling for 5.5

Salsa

Nice. I miss cheat codes. Big head cheat was one of the greatest things about games.

they really went all out

there's even cheat codes to do Iron Man mode sorta things

to make playthroughs really different, harder, easier, change character colors, change jump heights, damage modificators, and a huge etc

and of course there's the now famous cheat code that replaces a ton of words in dialogue with the word BUTT

shovel-knight-butt-544x360.jpg

shovel-knight-butt-mode.jpg

Is the hitbox still the same?

changes accordingly but your head is invincible

Mono

they really went all out

there's even cheat codes to do Iron Man mode sorta things

to make playthroughs really different, harder, easier, change character colors, change jump heights, damage modificators, and a huge etc

and of course there's the now famous cheat code that replaces a ton of words in dialogue with the word BUTT

ROFL, that's perfect

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
can you use the cheat codes during the normal game or only after finishing. Ill use that butt code if its during the normal game

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Whos selling for 5 keys? I'd like to buy a couple of myself if that were the case.

Everyone i know is selling for 5.5

I was just spit balling prices. I don't really stay up to date on the key trading market during non-sale times.

It's like the cloud to my butt extension, but in a game. I really need to get around to picking this up
though not on Steam

Nibiru

Banned
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
-
ad5hOev.png
7zwunRg.png
It's ModBot's birthday! Celebrate by giving out something other than bundle garbage today!
7zwunRg.png
ad5hOev.png

- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Nibiru, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Hero Siege -- MB-D1BDE47D799BB188 - Taken by WinterDemons. 9 entrants total.

t1404682253z1.png

Here you go:)

Dr Dogg

I finished Shovel Knight yesterday (in bed cause superior version) and god damn that was good.

GOTY along with Divinity so far. If the game had come out during the era it emulates it would deserve a spot right alongside something like Mega Man 2.

Oh come on you can do better than that. Why is it a GOTY contender for you? Funnily even though I can see the MegaMan influences running deep in Shovel Knight it reminds me more of Castlvania 2 and Zelda 2 with a bit of DuckTale mixed in. The music is just the stuff of 8bit legend though.

Even though this isn't in the PC version (yet anyway) what's the 3D effect like?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
can you use the cheat codes during the normal game or only after finishing. Ill use that butt code if its during the normal game

You can use cheat codes during your first play through but all cheat codes disable achievements, including ones that don't give you an advantage.

Shantom

Okay friends, I feel like just giving away one present for ModBot's Birthday wasn't enough!

Second giveaway ever, hopefully this one links properly ;)

Good luck!!!

If anyone's on the fence about this, the first 6 hours or so of Crysis are absolutely wonderful. The game falls apart after that, but the first half is some of the best FPSing you can experience.

JaseC

Sunless Sea seems very interesting, although I said the same thing about FTL, haha. Does the "submersible expansion" DLC have any sort of expected price yet?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
You can use cheat codes during your first play through but all cheat codes disable achievements, including ones that don't give you an advantage.

so what youre saying is no butts for me :(

Ruruja

The Suguri games are too hard for me, I can't beat the first stage on Easy. Embarrassing.

I've never been great at shmups.

Salsa

Oh come on you can do better than that. Why is it a GOTY contender for you? Funnily even though I can see the MegaMan influences running deep in Shovel Knight it reminds me more of Castlvania 2 and Zelda 2 with a bit of DuckTale mixed in. The music is just the stuff of 8bit legend though.

Even though this isn't in the PC version (yet anyway) what's the 3D effect like?

i've been tasked with this before and the reason I keep it simple is because it's kinda hard to convey or even say much about it

it just feels perfectly polished. A lot of games go for that sort of "feel" or homage to that era but none really nails it as much as Shovel Knight does.

It also doesnt shy away from being modern where modern is better, game being widescreen for example. It's annoying when an "8 bit" game also emulates everything that was shitty about 8 bit games.

I think looking at a video gives you a pretty clear idea of what you're in for, and there's no bad surprises along the way in terms of boring parts or lacklusting levels or anything. It's short and sweet (5.5 hours to beat) so they clearly took their time in making it as neat a package as they could.

3D effect is deep as fuuuuck. like 4 layers deep. makes it stand out a lot, couldnt help but feel the levels lose a lot of charm when they're on a single plane probably.

Rhaknar

this is what happens when the thread starts "posting impressions" and whatnot >_>

akmore.png

I wanna go back to alpacas and waifus now pls :(

Sky Chief

Here's my attempt for a Steam 'chalkboard'. The twist is that you actually want it to be crossed\checkmarked.

steamchalkboard101k50.jpg

As a relatively new Steam user I think the search in general is pretty poor.

Is there a way just to search all games that are on sale and then browse? It seems that when you search for sale games it only selects the first page and there is no way to see more.

EDIT: rather I mean games at certain price points. Is there a way to search just for games on sale?

Also, is there an easy way to get to your messages? I have just been waiting until I get a notification and then clicking on it and getting to my messages that way. It also seems to me that if I miss a message notification as it happens there is no indicator anywhere that I have messages waiting. There must be something that I am missing.

JaseC

As a relatively new Steam user I think the search in general is pretty poor.

Is there a way just to search all games that are on sale and then browse? It seems that when you search for sale games it only selects the first page and there is no way to see more.

By default Steam splits results across pages of up to 25 results each, however you can Install Enhanced Steam to enable continuous scrolling of search results (i.e. one big list).

Also, is there an easy way to get to your messages? I have just been waiting until I get a notification and then clicking on it and getting to my messages that way. It also seems to me that if I miss a message notification as it happens there is no indicator anywhere that I have messages waiting. There must be something that I am missing.

Steam's chat messages system? It is what it is.

Dr Dogg

i've been tasked with this before and the reason I keep it simple is because it's kinda hard to convey or even say much about it

it just feels perfectly polished. A lot of games go for that sort of "feel" or homage to that era but none really nails it as much as Shovel Knight does.

It also doesnt shy away from being modern where modern is better, game being widescreen for example. It's annoying when an "8 bit" game also emulates everything that was shitty about 8 bit games.

I think looking at a video gives you a pretty clear idea of what you're in for, and there's no bad surprises along the way in terms of boring parts or lacklusting levels or anything. It's short and sweet (5.5 hours to beat) so they clearly took their time in making it as neat a package as they could.

3D effect is deep as fuuuuck. like 4 layers deep. makes it stand out a lot, couldnt help but feel the levels lose a lot of charm when they're on a single plane probably.

No I totally agree with you. As I said back in the thread in my initial impressions not only does it feel like older NES games that it's drawing inspiration from it feels like it has made them it's own thing. It's almost to the extent that it feels like a genuine vintage game from the early 90's and that shows right through the game so far. From the pixel art, to the music, to the game design and progression. Even small touches like world map encounters that Stump picked up on hark back to the likes of Zelda 2. Though it does have some more conventional game design on a more modern level as you say like support for various aspect ratios and resoltuions and the Digger Diary integration on the WiiU sounds awesome in a Dark Soulsy kind of way. A whole lota love went it to Shovel Knight and it shows.

Alo81 was trying out a few things with 3D on PC and the folks over a Yacht Club Games did say it might be something they look in to which would be awesome to have 3D on PC. Though that might take away a unique selling point of the 3DS version though :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom