• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Is there a way to disable comment notifications? Like, when I comment on someone's profile, steam, for some reason, "subscribes" me to that profile. Notifying me about comments on their profile. Just.. Why?

RS4-

Is there a way to disable comment notifications? Like, when I comment on someone's profile, steam, for some reason, "subscribes" me to that profile. Notifying me about comments on their profile. Just.. Why?

What, I never experienced that.

Saty

By default Steam splits results across pages of up to 10 results each, however you can Install Enhanced Steam to enable continuous scrolling of search results (i.e. one big list).

Yeah, but i don't think you can search for something from within that group. Something like 'all games that are on sale right now' -> 'FPS games that are on sale right now'.

Sky Chief

Crysis shows up for me in my link, but the Dead Space games are no longer on sale from what I can tell. What region are you in?

USA, when I click that link it says at the bottom there are 83 games from that search. The Crysis games are not listed. What do you see?

EDIT: I am using Enhanced Steam in Chrome. Also, it is only showing me the first 25 search results. I am confused.

Saty

Also, is there an easy way to get to your messages? I have just been waiting until I get a notification and then clicking on it and getting to my messages that way. It also seems to me that if I miss a message notification as it happens there is no indicator anywhere that I have messages waiting. There must be something that I am missing.

Which notifications? There's the envelope icon next to your account name that will be green and closed when there are new notifications like unread chat messages, new stuff in the inventory, trade offers etc.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Not yet (they haven't even started working on it yet), but I think you get it for free if you purchase the base game during Early Access.

They have a good roadmap here: Sunless Sea Roadmap

Ah, thanks. I'll probably snap it up myself before 10% early bird discount ends.

Yeah, but i don't think you can search for something from within that group. Something like 'all games that are on sale right now' -> 'FPS games that are on sale right now'.

You can.

Sky Chief

Which notifications? There's the envelope icon next to your account name that will be green and closed when there are new notifications like unread chat messages, new stuff in the inventory, trade offers etc.

I don't get any notifications for unread chat messages for some reason

JaseC

USA, when I click that link it says at the bottom there are 83 games from that search. The Crysis games are not listed. What do you see?

EDIT: I am using Enhanced Steam in Chrome. Also, it is only showing me the first 25 search results. I am confused.

If continuous scrolling is playing up for you, you can disable it in the extension's settings and return to Steam's default view of individual pages.

i've been tasked with this before and the reason I keep it simple is because it's kinda hard to convey or even say much about it

it just feels perfectly polished. A lot of games go for that sort of "feel" or homage to that era but none really nails it as much as Shovel Knight does.

It also doesnt shy away from being modern where modern is better, game being widescreen for example. It's annoying when an "8 bit" game also emulates everything that was shitty about 8 bit games.

I think looking at a video gives you a pretty clear idea of what you're in for, and there's no bad surprises along the way in terms of boring parts or lacklusting levels or anything. It's short and sweet (5.5 hours to beat) so they clearly took their time in making it as neat a package as they could.

3D effect is deep as fuuuuck. like 4 layers deep. makes it stand out a lot, couldnt help but feel the levels lose a lot of charm when they're on a single plane probably.

I have never been impressed with 3d anything. Especially on my 3ds.
I sincerely doubt I'm missing anything with your inferior version of Shovel Knight. 8p

liezryou

It happens with only some people's profiles I've noticed, not all. Not sure why.

BadRamen

Chalk it up to my current by choice laziness (but will probably soon (hah) change once I get a sizable chunk of backlog sorted out)

but what is the cheapest I could get Broforce 4-packed? I thought I saw a GAFer doing $18.50 via Paypal but I could have been in a fever dream

DogMeat77

These two keys are still left if anyone wants them to +1 their collection go for it. Otherwise they are going to the sad sad place that unwanted games go.

Taken

Dr Dogg

Speaking of Shovel Knight...

1024x576.resizedimage

Stupid Peacock Lady and her rules!

74 screen shots and counting. I think I'm going to power past my 138 for Mass Effect 2 at this rate.

dot

It was my comment wasn't it? ;-;

I'm pretty sure you can turn it off somewhere but i forgot how.

It notifies you because we are all mutual friends, by the way.

pKSlqny.png

When we are playing: (Estimate Time)
t1404693000z4.png

What we are playing:
We are playing public matches through the casual matchmaking system. Everyone from all skill levels is welcome to join!

How to join us:
Add me as a friend on steam and through the main menu join the same game that I am in.

In the future:
If we have enough consistent players, we may consider setting up or renting a server for drop in drop out gaf matches.

Come join us and have fun!

Saty

Well you can choose a price point and a genre and search that way but you'll get games that aren't on sales and that's just their base price. You would also need to make several searches for the different price points.
It would be better if you could also choose 'on sale'.

JaseC

It was my comment wasn't it? ;-;

I'm pretty sure you can turn it off somewhere but i forgot how.

It notifies you because we are all mutual friends, by the way.

You can disable comment notifications related to profiles but you can't "unsubscribe" from individual profiles.

Well you can choose a price point and a genre and search that way but you'll get games that aren't on sales and that's just their base price. You would also need to make several searches for the different price points.
It would be better if you could also choose 'on sale'.

Are you saying that Steam should distinguish between, say, Sunless Sea's 10% discount and 75% off the Crysis games? Because any additional filters you apply to the specials page don't overrule &specials=1.

Hugstable

Banned

Weird never had that happen to me yet, and I comment on peoples pictures every once in a while. I didn't even know you could subscribe to profiles activities lol.

Ventara

Does anyone want any of these coupons?

OSUMGJs.jpg

Someone should totally take that Lyne coupon if they don't already have the game. It's a simple yet soothing puzzle game that'll help you slowly unwind without stressing your brain. Totally worth $0.30.

JakeD

I've barely even turned on the 3D on my 3DS, but I've left it on as I play shovel knight. It really does add something, as hard as it is to believe

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
JaseC doing support for me. :) Good on ya.

Also, all this Shovel Knight talk is making me want to grab it - I have some free time this afternoon and was thinking either that, Valiant Hearts, or more Divinity.

It's a great time to be a PC gamer.

cyrok

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for.

ModBot Basics:
-
ad5hOev.png
7zwunRg.png
It's ModBot's birthday! Celebrate by giving out something other than bundle garbage today!
7zwunRg.png
ad5hOev.png

- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (cyrok, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
Hero Siege -- MB-9EE5F536F87EBCDD - Taken by Junko. 11 entrants total.

t1404684591z1.png

Let the Games Begin!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
hmmmm Sunless Sea has a fuckload of unique terms and shit for their mechanics, makes it a bit wee harder than usual to know whats going on (as opposed to games that call stuff gold, or mana, or whatever)

my biggest concern right now, from just 15mins or so, is the logbook is way too small for what seems like a important part of the game, any way of making it bigger?

I mean that text box in the lower left corner that keeps updating you on whats going on

DukeBobby

Oh bollocks, I forgot to buy Jazzpunk from the Humble Store yesterday and now it's back to full price again.

Shouldn't be long until it's back on sale, though. I have plenty of other shit to play in the meantime.

Grief.exe

Speaking of Shovel Knight...

1024x576.resizedimage

Stupid Peacock Lady and her rules!

74 screen shots and counting. I think I'm going to power past my 138 for Mass Effect 2 at this rate.

Do you upload every single one you take? Or do you pick your favorites, but that only narrows down to 75.

Do you always play at that time roughly or just whenever you can get a few together? That's too late for me but I'd be happy to play in the future if it was a more reasonable time for me (GMT).

Still working out times, we played on Friday at around this time (right now). I can try making it earlier to allow for more people to play with us in the future.

I assume CS Source owners can't join?

Just CS:GO sorry.

Dr Dogg

Do you upload every single one you take? Or do you pick your favorites, but that only narrows down to 75.

As always I usualy cherry pick the good ones and non spoilery one. Uploaded about a third of what I've taken via Steam
I've got waaaay more from RTSS/Precission but they're not too much different than Steam shot to be honest compression wise.

When I was going through Mass Effect 2 I had about 40gbs worth of screenies just through Steam. Shadowplay has become the new Scratch Disk storage hog though.

Ibuki

Banned
Still working out times, we played on Friday at around this time (right now). I can try making it earlier to allow for more people to play with us in the future.

I have a meeting at that time, but if you guys are still on an hour or so after I'd be happy to jump in.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Personally I don't upload anything I don't have a good, original caption for. So it's normally less than half the shots I take. I'm a little more permissive with games that almost no one has played.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom