• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Since everyone is giving impressions of games they've played lately...

I had a little spare time this afternoon and tried out the Defense Grid 2 beta. I got the code for free. I'm a huge fan of tower defense games, and the original Defense Grid was quite special, so I thought I'd give this one a try.

The beta only contains two levels (14 & 15). The basic premise of the game is the same as the first, but with a couple of caveats. One being that you now have a "command center" - which you can use to alter the layout of the game's grid (each level had it's own unique way of carrying this out). Additionally, you can place "boost towers" which you can then build other towers on top of. The reason you want to do this is because it increases their range, but also because you can pay extra to activate a "boost" mode, which also increases that tower's damage.

The rest of the gameplay is mostly intact from the original, including the voice of the announcer which I quite liked. Enemies show up, steal your "cores", then try to walk off of the screen with them. Lose all of your cores and the game is over.

Although a significant portion of the game is missing (like, every other level, and the ability to customize your towers before the round) I can already tell that this will be a great tower defense game once it's actually released. I'm looking forward to playing more when more is available.

Ozium

speaking of gifts, I sent a friend of mine MARLOW MF'ING BRIGGS near the end of the steam sale and he has yet to accept or decline it... and it's kind of pissing me off. either take or it don't but don't let it sit in limbo.. when I asked him about it he said he 'hadn't gotten around to it yet' as if it's some task that requires [more than] 2 mouse clicks...

is there a way to cancel it because of his chicanery?

edited: what I said earlier made no sense

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
speaking of gifts, I sent a friend of mine MARLOW MF'ING BRIGGS near the end of the steam sale and he has yet to accept or decline it... and it's kind of pissing me off. either take or it don't but don't let it sit in limbo.. when I asked him about it he said he 'hadn't gotten around to it yet' as if it's some task that requires 2 mouse clicks...

if its in your inventory you can just send it again to someone else i think?

Enco

Wat... just got a PM about winning the JaceC giveaway..

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

Is this real life?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
speaking of gifts, I sent a friend of mine MARLOW MF'ING BRIGGS near the end of the steam sale and he has yet to accept or decline it... and it's kind of pissing me off. either take or it don't but don't let it sit in limbo.. when I asked him about it he said he 'hadn't gotten around to it yet' as if it's some task that requires 2 mouse clicks...

Pending gifts can be sent elsewhere. Just send it to your e-mail address and use the link to add it back to your inventory in an unused state.

Wat... just got a PM about winning the JaceC giveaway..

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

Is this real life?

My friends list is currently full but I'll be crafting some badges later to make some space. (I'm pretty sure we're not friends yet.)

Sky Chief

Two hours left!

Okay friends, I feel like just giving away one present for ModBot's Birthday wasn't enough!

Second giveaway ever, hopefully this one links properly ;)

Good luck!!!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
-
ad5hOev.png
7zwunRg.png
It's ModBot's birthday! Celebrate by giving out something other than bundle garbage today!
7zwunRg.png
ad5hOev.png

- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Sky Chief, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Crysis -- MB-49C22C9B2E22F183

t1404691612z1.png

Enco

My friends list is currently full but I'll be crafting some badges later to make some space. (I'm pretty sure we're not friends yet.)
Yea I don't think we are.

My mind hasn't processed this yet. I sent you a PM.

I feel like I need to give back a lot more now.

ModBot said I'm still no Megagiver. Should have used the "my loot" function earlier. But I'll change this now.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

ModBot Basics:
-
ad5hOev.png
7zwunRg.png
It's ModBot's birthday! Celebrate by giving out something other than bundle garbage today!
7zwunRg.png
ad5hOev.png

- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Krusenstern, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
Crysis Maximum Edition -- MB-126C88FDAED28ACB - Taken by sotodefonk
Metro Redux Bundle -- MB-5DEBCBB5A8880378 - Taken by Angel Abaddon. 115 entrants total.

t1404771081z1.png

Just 10 more minutes remaning...

ModBot said:
Instructions for ramoisdead:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away 15 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
-
ad5hOev.png
7zwunRg.png
7zwunRg.png
ad5hOev.png

- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Surgeon Simulator 2013 -- MB-CA7FF3A863F5E842 - Taken by Hero Prinny. 10 entrants total.
The Ship -- MB-C3F9C5E2227631BA - Taken by Random Painted HIghway. 1 entrants total.
Papa Y Yo -- MB-295F3EC8AB25F549 - Taken by TheMadMan007. 1 entrants total.
Sid Meier's Civilization IV: The Complete Edition -- MB-141A645737B41D1F - Taken by pahamrick. 4 entrants total.
Psychonauts -- MB-247CFF6C4751F84E - Taken by xeris. 9 entrants total.
Ether Vapor Remaster -- MB-99517FD92BDCE16D - Taken by Emperor_EL. 1 entrants total.
Guacamelee! Gold Edition -- MB-C06AA9CFF5A23728 - Taken by Melhisedek. 3 entrants total.
Thomas Was Alone -- MB-94DEDF9E0CEA9725 - Taken by Sammichu. 2 entrants total.
Awesomenauts -- MB-8A0F8C0412768441 - Taken by Unicorn. 3 entrants total.
Dust: An Elysian Tail -- MB-BAE5AAAB33F1B2EC - Taken by L.O.R.D. 3 entrants total.
Monaco: What's Yours Is Mine -- MB-B333D240B1DC6FF6 - Taken by iosefe. 2 entrants total.
Dustforce -- MB-81DC8FAD18FCFDEA - Taken by Autofokus. 7 entrants total.
VVVVVV -- MB-18CE4DDDB2B8978E - Taken by NightmareTrigger. 1 entrants total.
FEZ -- MB-EED4F6838FD707FB - Taken by danhese007. 3 entrants total.
Gianna Sisters: Twisted Dreams -- MB-C81A6B77820492DD - Taken by The Cowboy. 1 entrants total.

t1404685582z1.png

Hugstable

Banned
JaseC doing support for me. :) Good on ya.

Also, all this Shovel Knight talk is making me want to grab it - I have some free time this afternoon and was thinking either that, Valiant Hearts, or more Divinity.

It's a great time to be a PC gamer.

Valiant Hearts is a great game that's usually played best in doing about a chapter a day, as that's how I played it and the gameplay really didn't wear on me because of that. It's such a good game though. Shovel Knight is really damn great as well, especially if you are a megaman or classicvania fan.

Dr Dogg

Personally I don't upload anything I don't have a good, original caption for. So it's normally less than half the shots I take. I'm a little more permissive with games that almost no one has played.

I was at one point in time adding captions to a lot of my Steam uploaded screenshots but it was either a case of trying to force something humorous out or waffle on about something technical. Sometimes I let the games artwork do the talking. I mean there is nothing I could say about these few Brutal Legend screenshots that would add anything to them.

Though my main issue is with the hideous amounts of compression Steam screenshots have. I'd love to be able to link to my Flickr account to pull my uploads in from there like you can with YouTube videos.

tylerf

Started playing Dreaming Sarah because I got it in a raffle. Not even an hour in and I'm already stuck >_> Currently wandering through a haunted mansion where all the doors lead into infinite loops. I really hope I didn't miss something that I needed to do to progress in this area, but I might have. The game doesn't give you too much direction. You just kind of start walking around and end up in different subareas.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
and the game / port itself?

Offline runs completely fine maybe a bit too friendly with the continues. The game has some options to set the controllers and some minor things and the performance overall is solid. I might need to try with another friend later the online and see if it was his connection but we didnt had any problems playing online before.

Edit: Yeah audio can be glitchy at times but its mostly stable.

Volimar

I get in these weird phases where I like playing all this weird alternative rogue/tower defense/ftl type games, and then I get into a funk where i just want to play mindless shooters. And when I'm in one state of mind, playing the other type of game just doesn't appeal at all.

Is it possible to get Coupons to any game? It seems I mostly get indie games and first party Valve games.

I may just give the rest to Trashbot, as recommended earlier in this topic, but I think I'll hang onto them a bit longer to see if any GAFers will get any use out of them.

Also, is it possible to get Coupons to Applications/Software? I'm kicking myself in the butt for not buying Clickteam Fusion 2.5 during the Summer Sale.

BHK3

Banned
and the game / port itself?

Game is fine, apparently whatever slowdown there is is built into the game, odd audio bugs, completely playable. They use art from the iOS port. Online is complete shit, I heard the beta for it was just to see if it didn't outright crash on startup for pc.

Jawmuncher

Is it possible to get Coupons to any game? It seems I mostly get indie games and first party Valve games.

I may just give the rest to Trashbot, as recommended earlier in this topic, but I think I'll hang onto them a bit longer to see if any GAFers will get any use out of them.

Also, is it possible to get Coupons to Applications/Software? I'm kicking myself in the butt for not buying Clickteam Fusion 2.5 during the Summer Sale.

Coupons are just to what devs/publishers want to offer. So basically valve asks if anyone wants to be on the list.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Not exactly as it's up to publishers. You'll never see a -90% coupon for Call of Doggy: Ghosts, for example.

Edit: Beaten.

Hugstable

Banned
When do you plan on playing that? I'm a little busy at the moment, but I could play it later.

Please don't tempt me to buy a non bundle game ;_;

I could get it for $10.44/5 keys from the Russians if it's not region locked, but I'm trying not to spend money.

I think we are gonna try to set up a game sometime tomorrow as Arthea wanted to play also.

Coupons are just to what devs/publishers want to offer. So basically valve asks if anyone wants to be on the list.

Ah, that explains why so many indie games appear, then. How kind of the devs, almost makes me feel bad for taking the coupon! ;x

Regarding cards, is it possible to gain additional drops for cards again after a given period of time? Example, I could have SWORE I got all the cards to Killing Floor previously allotted to me, but I have two cards drops available..? Am I just goin' crazy and losing track of my card count?

Oh man this place is going to quick. heres a reminder of my giveaway guys.
ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
-
ad5hOev.png
7zwunRg.png
7zwunRg.png
ad5hOev.png

- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Hero Prinny, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

vRvbDCu.png
(origin) Populous -- MB-2BD243F3508993C9
vRvbDCu.png
(Origin) Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 Uprising -- MB-72291D641D26C998 - Taken by cyrok

t1404689452z1.png

MadGear

The CS:GO new community maps are pretty underwhelming from the ones I've tried. People need to focus on playability over visuals.

At least none of them are as bugged as the Downtown map from Operation Phoenix. But yeah, they are a bit underwhelming even to me as a purely casual gamer (only play casual and DM) :D

d4a83ed6ec.png

So, finished Wolfenstein: The New Order earlier today. lemme see if i can do a good impression of it:
Being made by ex starbreeze devs, at least something fun should be expected. What i didn't expect though, was one of the most fun shooters i've played in years.
The most important thing first: The gameplay is really good. It's incredibly satisfying to shoot nazis, and using either the guns or being stealth is equally fun. Loved the fact that cover is not used with a button, and it's really fast to do too. Level design wise, i wouldn't say it's on the level of older iD games, but it's open in a way most shooters haven't been for a while.
The audio(sound effect and musics) is top notch. Guns in general sound really good, and the covers of known bands in german are interesting. Gotta love House of the Rising Sun. The game OST is great too. Mick Gordon is indeed talented.
Although it isn't revolutionary, the story is excellent. The characters and the universe feel alive, Specially BJ Blazkowicz. Loved hearing his thoughts throughout the game.
I wished the game had more bosses, although the ones it have are fun to fight, and depending on the difficulty, really challenging(did my first playthough on Uber).
So yeah, a great GOTY contender, and probably on my top 3 of shooters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom