• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugstable

Banned
pKSlqny.png

When we are playing: (Estimate Time)
t1404693000z4.png

What we are playing:
We are playing public matches through the casual matchmaking system. Everyone from all skill levels is welcome to join!

How to join us:
Add me as a friend on steam and through the main menu join the same game that I am in.

In the future:
If we have enough consistent players, we may consider setting up or renting a server for drop in drop out gaf matches.

Come join us and have fun!

WOO only an hour left, and it looks like we might actually have a good amount joining us today!!

hey guys. We all overreacted back then. it's OVER now. we are all friends, lets just move on okay? :) ive made up with Ozium. we talked, had a heartfelt moment, cried together, braided each other hairs.

you get the point. So lets just move on. enjoy SteamGAF and stuff :) Thank you.

SteamGAF <3. Play some CS tonight bruh

Caerith

Is there a way to disable comment notifications? Like, when I comment on someone's profile, steam, for some reason, "subscribes" me to that profile. Notifying me about comments on their profile. Just.. Why?

If you find one, let me know. I posted a question like a million years ago in a game's discussion forum-- just asking about the DRM situation-- and it got answered within a few hours. That was years ago. People still go to that forum, see the question, ignore the hundreds of pages of response, and post a reply (which someone else then replies to, etc).

kierwynn

Just got home from spending the weekend with family and finally got myself a copy of Divinity! The whole key trading thing confuses me, but luckily my boyfriend trades a lot, so I got him to get me one for a decent price. Installing it now! Ready to try it out- I've heard so many good things about it!

Hugstable

Banned
Oh by the way I finally gave Goat Simulator a spin today. Fun for what it is, but it really wears thin after about a good 30 minutes. I really like the zero gravity room though, I had a crapton of fun in there lol. Plus I jumped off that giant ass crane. I think the whole existence of the game is pretty silly, but it's still a good time waster for those who just want to mess around with some funny ragdoll physics. We need an Alpaca Simulator 2015.

Edit: LOL wrong image

Ozium

I want to get into Skullgirls but my PS3 Fightstick won't work, I've tried the DS3Tool to no avail.. I tried playing it with a standard controller and nope... just nope...

will either have to add usb ports or just get a 360/pc fightstick...

Nabs

30 minutes is honestly not enough for Goat Sim. You've only touched a bit of what it has to offer. There are a lot of secrets planted about, some amazing shit.

I want to get into Skullgirls but my PS3 Fightstick won't work, I've tried the DS3Tool to no avail.. I tried playing it with a standard controller and nope... just nope...

will either have to add usb ports or just get a 360/pc fightstick...

SG should work with regular sticks and Xinput sticks. Have you checked to see if other people had the same issues?

UncleBiz

Just got home from spending the weekend with family and finally got myself a copy of Divinity! The whole key trading thing confuses me, but luckily my boyfriend trades a lot, so I got him to get me one for a decent price. Installing it now! Ready to try it out- I've heard so many good things about it!

get ready for the best game ever. i feel like a little kid playing my older brother's games. it makes me feel nostalgic and it's so pretty.

also, guess who isn't a junior anymore
tumblr_n35fr14IxQ1tw1vhco1_250.gif

You know what really bugs me about Steam? They give friend slots as some sort of coveted prize for gaining levels, but the buddy list is barren as far as features go!

I just want to be able to rename groups, sheesh. Maybe customized buddy list sounds, too.

Strider

I'm really in the mood to play a multiplayer shooter but I'm bored of Titanfall and I'm having problems with BF4 (shocker). I might just say fuck it and get Counter Strike. Never played a CS before though.

Hugstable

Banned
30 minutes is honestly not enough for Goat Sim. You've only touched a bit of what it has to offer. There are a lot of secrets planted about, some amazing shit.

I know I'm gonna put more time into it later, was just writing up some quick impressions for what I played today :D

Mokoi

Banned
Hit me up for Skullgirls. I'm on CSGO Casual right now.

I hate the peacock avatar. Screw projectiles when used against me. ( not really hate more like dislike)

Devolver tweeted about this and then updated the store page with "(Freedom Simulator 2014)" :lol

Haha this is too good.

get ready for the best game ever. i feel like a little kid playing my older brother's games. it makes me feel nostalgic and it's so pretty.

also, guess who isn't a junior anymore

Congrats on the member status, and hmm all this talk of Divinity being good makes me want to pick it up even though I don't like games like that.

Agreed. I put it about 6 hours and still have quite a few cheevos to go through. Such a fun time waster.

Awesome! Looks like I'm getting a lot of interest in CS! To answer a few questions I've been getting:

To play, it will be first come first serve. I will make a lobby at the designated time that is limited to 10 people. After I start the game it will be open to the public and there will be a few slots open so you can join the game by right-clicking my name in the main menu and selecting join game.

I will make a similar post at the designated time that is similar to my original post (banner and all) to let you know I am starting. PM me through steam to get an invite to the party.

Looking forward to playing with all of you!

I'm really in the mood to play a multiplayer shooter but I'm bored of Titanfall and I'm having problems with BF4 (shocker). I might just say fuck it and get Counter Strike. Never played a CS before though.

You should join us! We welcome all! We're all bad so there is no worries about sucking.

Cheddahz

Banned
pKSlqny.png

When we are playing: (Estimate Time)
t1404693000z4.png

What we are playing:
We are playing public matches through the casual matchmaking system. Everyone from all skill levels is welcome to join!

How to join us:
Add me as a friend on steam and through the main menu join the same game that I am in.

In the future:
If we have enough consistent players, we may consider setting up or renting a server for drop in drop out gaf matches.

Come join us and have fun!

Just sent ya a friend request!

What the heck? I traded a user that 75% Portal 2 coupon, but in the trade window it dropped to 66%. What gives? Bug or intentional feature..?

edit: nevermind, guess I had multiple Portal coupons..?

Tellaerin

So I finished my playthrough of New Vegas + DLC last night. As I'm sitting here now, thinking about the ending slides, I feel like the game confirms an idea that's been rattling around in my head for awhile now, something I've tried to express before with varying degrees of success.

To put it as succinctly as I can, I feel what constitutes a good story for a game is very different than a good story in other (non-interactive) media. Stories that end in the death of the protagonist, ones where he/she struggles valiantly but ultimately fails, where well-intended actions have terrible unforeseen consequences (that become apparent at the end of the story, giving the protagonist no chance to make them right)... all of these work in literature. They work because we're passive observers.

In the context of a game, where we're challenged to achieve our goals with the tools we've been given, these are fail states.

A narrative where everything eventually goes the hero's way as long as he puts in enough effort to succeed is often dismissed as "bad writing" in games. It's "lazy". Yet as a player, rather than a passive observer, that "rote" narrative is satisfying. I don't need a game to teach me that things don't always go the way I want them to, or that there are things that are outside of my control - these are lessons that life has a way of teaching us all in time. That's not the reason I'm playing.

(And for those wondering, what got me thinking about this again was the fact that none of the "main" endings in New Vegas was 100% satisfying, IMO. Not going to spoil it for those who haven't played, but every faction's victory has a downside, though admittedly some are worse than others. Some people cite this as a net positive, something that puts the game's story above Fallout 3's. If these were books, I might agree. But for a game, I feel it's more satisfying if there's at least the possibility of that perfect ending if you're smart/determined/skilled enough to pull it off. It may not be even remotely realistic, it might be a trite outcome for a movie or a novel, but the goalposts for games are in a different place, IMO.)

Oddly enough, it didn't show in my breakdown when I went to Filters and chose Coupons. I had to type "Portal" in the search box to find the 75% one in the Trade window.

Not sure what was up with that, must be a bug.

Something strange happened after that steam sale. People giving away mystery games that aren't bad rats, people actually p.. p.. playing games on steam, and craziest of all, JaseC giving away access his personally curated library.

I must say though it's a real pleasure watching all of this. I'd jump in on those CS:GO games if my ping on American servers was better
(and if I was back in my prime, it takes me half the match just navigating that buy wheel... when you click on a section and a new wheel pops up I get all disoriented)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
how long is New Order supposed to be? I played for almost 2 hours (steam said 103minutes or something) and didnt even get to
the resistance base
which I thought was the begining of the game from all the trailers and videos o_O

Oublieux

I was finally able to clock in some time into Shovel Knight. It is a complete wave of nostalgia! The lovingly crafted pixel art, animations (including the transition fades), and music just completely take me back to when I was a kid. This is not to say that Shove Knight capitalizes just on nostalgia, but its gameplay is utterly satisfying, too. Controls are responsive, using the shovel to dig and whack enemies with said shovel never gets old, and there are numerous secret passages and hidden areas to find within stages. I can't wait to play more when I have free time.

DukeBobby

how long is New Order supposed to be? I played for almost 2 hours (steam said 103minutes or something) and didnt even get to
the resistance base
which I thought was the begining of the game from all the trailers and videos o_O

I'd say about 12-15 hours.

You don't get to the
resistance base
until chapter 5.

Jawmuncher

So I finished my playthrough of New Vegas + DLC last night. As I'm sitting here now, thinking about the ending slides, I feel like the game confirms an idea that's been rattling around in my head for awhile now, something I've tried to express before with varying degrees of success.

To put it as succinctly as I can, I feel what constitutes a good story for a game is very different than a good story in other (non-interactive) media. Stories that end in the death of the protagonist, ones where he/she struggles valiantly but ultimately fails, where well-intended actions have terrible unforeseen consequences (that become apparent at the end of the story, giving the protagonist no chance to make them right)... all of these work in literature. They work because we're passive observers.

In the context of a game, where we're challenged to achieve our goals with the tools we've been given, these are fail states.

A narrative where everything eventually goes the hero's way as long as he puts in enough effort to succeed is often dismissed as "bad writing" in games. It's "lazy". Yet as a player, rather than a passive observer, that "rote" narrative is satisfying. I don't need a game to teach me that things don't always go the way I want them to, or that there are things that are outside of my control - these are lessons that life has a way of teaching us all in time. That's not the reason I'm playing.

(And for those wondering, what got me thinking about this again was the fact that none of the "main" endings in New Vegas was 100% satisfying, IMO. Not going to spoil it for those who haven't played, but every faction's victory has a downside, though admittedly some are worse than others. Some people cite this as a net positive, something that puts the game's story above Fallout 3's. If these were books, I might agree. But for a game, I feel it's more satisfying if there's at least the possibility of that perfect ending if you're smart/determined/skilled enough to pull it off. It may not be even remotely realistic, it might be a trite outcome for a movie or a novel, but the goalposts for games are in a different place, IMO.)

That's definitely an interesting view on it. Haven't played New Vegas myself but I can understand where you're coming from. It is interesting to see what works and what doesn't in a game versus other media. As well as to see what gamers themselves see as working and not working. Personally from what you have said im leaning towards being opposed to a "perfect" ending. Since I have always like the idea that no matter how hard you try it isn't going to work out ever.

Sky Chief

Less than 10 minutes to go!

Okay friends, I feel like just giving away one present for ModBot's Birthday wasn't enough!

Second giveaway ever, hopefully this one links properly ;)

Good luck!!!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
-
ad5hOev.png
7zwunRg.png
It's ModBot's birthday! Celebrate by giving out something other than bundle garbage today!
7zwunRg.png
ad5hOev.png

- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Sky Chief, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Crysis -- MB-49C22C9B2E22F183 - Taken by PandaPandaPanda. 23 entrants total.

t1404691612z1.png

BadRamen

Personally I enjoyed
Mr. House's ending. It basically implied that you got a cush job chilling while Mr. House advanced humanity to where it should have been before the war and even beyond that (at the cost of certain freedoms/humanity). It can't be canon of course because then the game world's core conflict is actually fully resolved. Heh.

How did you feel about DX:HR's ending?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom